Brown says we are most interested in M. Turner

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer Lynch over Turner who I am not as big a fan of as everyone else is

As would I. I think Lynch is a better fit. The financial aspect is also a major consideration and he would also likely command far less money than Turner. Last year's 12th pick, Haloti Ngata, signed a 5 year, $11.9M contract. Lynch will probably cost around $12.5-13M over 5 years if taken in the same spot.

Look at what Frank Gore just signed by comparison: 4 years, $28M. The $14M in guaranteed money alone is probably more than what Lynch will make over the life of his first contract. I doubt Turner will receive quite that much since he isn't a starter, but since this will likely be his last major contract, you can bet that he's going to want to get paid and paid well.

I think we're giving up too much in that scenario. Id rather pick at 12 and then have to wait until the third

I disagree. It still means that we'd have 2 picks in the top 50 and 4 picks on the first day, and our running back problem would be solved. I think it would be a steal for the Bills. Turner is actually really good.

So Willis gets the Bills two 3rds and a guy who has zero 1000 yard seasons cannot be had with a 2nd and a 4th?

AJ Smith is dreaming if he thinks Turner can net him a 1st and a 3rd

Two things I think are very definite:

1) AJ doesn't think he can get a 1st and a 3rd. He put that tender so no team could just take Turner, and he would either keep him or get to pick the team and the deal to trade him for less than that. I think that #44 could probably get it done, but AJ will wait and see.

2) Turner is likely to be a better back over the next 4 years than anybody we could get at #44. The issue is he is not under contract after this season. So the only way that a deal can happen is if we can negotiate an extension before it is final, and if that deal is priced as an extension for an unproven backup, and not as a free agent deal for a star.

I would still love to see this deal get done. We need to make an offer that is better than any of the other teams (although if Cleveland picks him up it increases the chance that Peterson falls so could be a win-win), and is worth more to the Chargers than 1 year of insurance against an LT injury (because the Chargers are at their talent peak, and don't want to miss a chance if LT pulls a hammy, etc.).

Truthfully I would have difficulty in trading down that far in round 1 in this scenario. If that's what it takes I would rather see Marv pass.

I agree. Turner looks to be good, but he has still never been a #1 running back in the NFL. I would rather use that #1 pick on a LB, and take the same risk you would taking with Turner, in the second or third round.

I think we're giving up too much in that scenario. Id rather pick at 12 and then have to wait until the third

Agreed, may be swap of 2nd rounders like the Jets/Bears did would work.....However, I would rather see a Lynch or Peterson here.

If the Bills somehow obtain Michael Turner...I hope someone creates a thread immediately after the deal is announced so that people can put their TBD reputation on the line and say whether they think the deal was worth it. No gray areas....no maybe this or maybe that....no ifs, ands or butts.

You would have to say regardless if what it took to sign him:

"YES! I love this deal....Turner will be a long term fanchise back!"

Or you have to say,

"This deal sucks, I hate Marv Levy."

If the Bills somehow obtain Michael Turner...I hope someone creates a thread immediately after the deal is announced so that people can put their TBD reputation on the line and say whether they think the deal was worth it. No gray areas....no maybe this or maybe that....no ifs, ands or butts.

Or you have to say,

I'll say right now that I'd take Turner for the Bills' 2nd rounder straight-up. If the Bills can get him for less, it's gravy. I agree that Turner will be better AND more proven than anyone they can get in the 2nd round, and I wouldn't pass-up Willis if he were there in the 1st.

I'll say right now that I'd take Turner for the Bills' 2nd rounder straight-up. If the Bills can get him for less, it's gravy. I agree that Turner will be better AND more proven than anyone they can get in the 2nd round, and I wouldn't pass-up Willis if he were there in the 1st.

I would agree, but ONLY if they trade down in round 1 and pick up another 2nd.

There is no rush.

Or you have to say,

So if the picks traded are fair, the poster worthy of a good reputation will say it's neither of your two choices?

Chris Brown on BB.com says that he is hearing that the Bills are most interested in trading for RB Turner from SD. Brown also said that it could cost a 1st rd pick. http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

To me giving up a 1st for Michael Turner would be very much like the Rob Johnson trade.

The Bills need defensive players in this draft, if they wasted a 1st rounder on a career backup running back (and don't give me his stats, he hasn't started a full 16 game season so to automatically assume that he's great is retarded)

Better to draft a RB in the 2nd or 3rd and have them learn under Buffalos system.

I'm definitely cool with all the moves we've made so far in free agency....But if we trade our first round pick for Turner, who does have a lot of potential, it would be a mistake...

If we can package a 2nd and a 3rd let's roll with it.

I think I agree. Get Turner, pick up Branch in the first round, possible get a DB with our other third round pick...that's a mighty fine day one to me.

I think I agree. Get Turner, pick up Branch in the first round, possible get a DB with our other third round pick...that's a mighty fine day one to me.

Like the idea but what about LB?

It's almost as if with all of the Bills needs right now (LB, RB, CB, DT IMO) that one of the positions will have to sacrificed until next draft or put on the backburner for a while.

My guess is that CB is where the Bills will cool off a bit, it goes against Marv's reputation of DB's in the first but I think the other positions have greater need.

Like the idea but what about LB?

It's almost as if with all of the Bills needs right now (LB, RB, CB, DT IMO) that one of the positions will have to sacrificed until next draft or put on the backburner for a while.

My guess is that CB is where the Bills will cool off a bit, it goes against Marv's reputation of DB's in the first but I think the other positions have greater need.

Willis Branch will fit right into are system at LB...generallee83, we'll be reeaaaaaaal good at the position if we get him, and we'll be real young with a core of starting guys that will be around for awhile.