WGR (radio goo goo, radio ga ga) WHINING about the Jumbotron

trolls_r_us

When I listen to WGR, I feel like a guilty husband looking at a dirty magazine. Unfortunately, if you enjoy sports and want to hear some sports talk in WNY, you are essentially stuck with that CRAP station.

So today, I get out of work, and flip on the radio to see what today's topic is. And lo and behold, the afternoon dunces are pissing and moaning about the AWESOME NEW SCOREBOARD that will be among the tops in the NFL!

True enough, this is OUR $$, not Ralph doing this. Erie County pays the Bills a few million bucks per year to run the stadium, and the county technically owns the facility as well.

Still, way to paint a cool new development as something to bash and gripe about.

These jerks would find a way to criticize a free dinner at their favorite restauruant. In short, NOTHING the Bills do is good. **** do I get sick of hearing that crap.

Howard Simon's show is pretty good, and the nighttime guys are OK. But Shopp and the Bulldog NEVER cease to amaze me when it comes to griping, moaning, and BASHING our BILLS!

It is why I listen to music now on the way home from work. Those two guys make every excuse in the book not to talk about sports. At least when they had dickerson(not that I was a fan of his), they talked about the upcoming game, the matchups, it would get you geared up for the game all week. Simon & white are not bad, I listen to them once in awhile. It seems like schope hates sports, especially football. Not sure why he would go into this profession. It is even more amazing that he had a couple stints with ESPN. I think those have ended.

This one aspect speaks volumes for the way WGR has been headed. They did not send one person down to represent the station for the super bowl this year. Pretty pathetic.

Unfortunately, if you enjoy sports and want to hear some sports talk in WNY, you are essentially stuck with that CRAP station.

Get a magic radio, also known as XM or Sirius, and listen to all the sports ya want. I must say I am partial to XM now cause of the all hockey, all the time station known as XM 204 Home Ice.

It is why I listen to music now on the way home from work. Those two guys make every excuse in the book not to talk about sports. At least when they had dickerson(not that I was a fan of his), they talked about the upcoming game, the matchups, it would get you geared up for the game all week. Simon & white are not bad, I listen to them once in awhile. It seems like schope hates sports, especially football. Not sure why he would go into this profession. It is even more amazing that he had a couple stints with ESPN. I think those have ended.

This one aspect speaks volumes for the way WGR has been headed. They did not send one person down to represent the station for the super bowl this year. Pretty pathetic.

I thought I heard Schope last week say gr55 was the #1 sports station in the nation again during a segment with John Clayton. Did I hear this right? How can this be?

I thought I heard Schope last week say gr55 was the #1 sports station in the nation again during a segment with John Clayton. Did I hear this right? How can this be?

Can't answer your question specifically, but, depending on how they want to dice up the numbers they can perhaps find a segment of the population that they are #1 with.

For instance Adult males 75+ in a specific quarter hour. Don't mean nuthin but it makes them feel good about themselves.

I'm a big fan of the larger scoreboard. I think it says something about the stadium. I remember going to Baltimores stadium and one the first impressions I had was of that great scoreboard (and the fact it seemed everyone was right on top of the field). I told many people about it afterwords so I'm glad for it.

The one thing I'd like to see.....IS A RADIO FEED IN THE BATHROOMS!!!! I know they don't want people staying in there but 1. If you can make it through the smell then God Bless Ya and 2. Why have the video feeds in the hallways if your worried about people not in their seats.

Get R Done Marv!

Can't answer your question specifically, but, depending on how they want to dice up the numbers they can perhaps find a segment of the population that they are #1 with.

For instance Adult males 75+ in a specific quarter hour. Don't mean nuthin but it makes them feel good about themselves.

Such a small % of the broader public actually listen to AM radio it actually does not take many people to be listeners in order to be #1 even if you do not dice listenership up into sub-groups.

Its like Bill O'Reilly being the #1 rated cable show that demonstrates this, this sounds like he talks to a lot of folks, but really its not as it only takes a couple of million viewers to be #1. Amidst a society of 300 million, the vast huge vast large majority of whom are not watching any cable show as they have something better to do with their time, its a minuscule subset of society and potential viewers.

While it is more than those watching Anderson Cooper or Scarborough Country, CNN and Fox are still making money as folks who sell soap are willing to pay a bunch to get in front of a couple of million eyeballs.

I loved their very well thought out alternative to uses for the money. My favorite was "let's make beer cheaper". Second place was "let's use it to reduce the price hike". My recommendation would have been to use part of it to buy plane tickets to send those bozo's somewhere else.

Oh, and by the way guys, don't be too proud of having the number 1 rated sports station in the nation. Good ratings are easy to come by when you have ZERO competition.That would be like Time Warner bragging that they have more cable subscribers than anyone else in Erie county. You go girl!

It's funny that they don't see the bigger picture in this project...

For the Bills to be successful in WNY they need to get local business to purchase the luxury suites. I'm sure companies purchasing those suites currently are bringing in clients from other parts of the country who are looking at our stadium and saying "nice, but damn this place seems old" (which it is).

Now you throw up some new tech gadgets (huge HD scoreboard and ribbon scoreboards on the side) and it's going to make the Ralph look like it's part of the 20th century. If these fools don't think that perception doesn't play a role in business deals, recruiting and therefore the purchase of luxury suites, they're crazy.

Not to mention the perception of people all around the country that see our stadium on TV when their team plays here (since we don't get any national games :worthy:.

I just really don't WHY anyone would be against giving our stadium a facelift that is going to improve people's perception of Buffalo...

Get Sirius radio: NFL radio 24/7, every show they have is fun and informative to listen to (oops, all but one...that being "Taking it to the House" with Keyshon Johnson, thankfully it's only on once a week). I now listen to more radio than I do watch TV.

To me, it's worth the 13 bucks a week.

it only takes a couple of million viewers to be #1. Amidst a society of 300 million,

its a minuscule subset of society and potential viewers.

folks who sell soap are willing to pay a bunch to get in front of a couple of million eyeballs.

I would say that a couple million viewers is hardly a miniscule subset. You don't think that it equates to more of the populace?

By your logic then, I will use a Democrat protest that has 10,000 people, since that appears to be your bent, that doesn't register at all to you then does it?

Million man march? Less than a miniscule representation?

And on topic, shut up Schopp and Bulldog. You know the County has NO choice in the matter as it is in the contract that the County signed. The only way this doesn't happen is if the control board says it doesn't. No use bellyaching about it.

You don't have to like it, but you do have to know that it is a part of the lease.

Do I agree with it? No. Do I think our money could be better spent elsewhere? Of course.

Does it piss me off that Ralph gets this and his ego maniacal that he insists the stadium be named after him and fees associated with naming rights be damned. Obviously.

I do however want the Bills to remain here and I also want my stadium improved to enhance my experience at it.

Our stadium has a long list of needs to improve it. Bathrooms, audio equip, video equip. etc. I accept any and all improvements.

That would be Southern Ontarioan males with a hearty man-lust to move The Bills across the border.

Beat-beat-beat-beat the drum to bring down the franchise.

Hey it worked with Bush. :worthy:

When I listen to WGR, I feel like a guilty husband looking at a dirty magazine. Unfortunately, if you enjoy sports and want to hear some sports talk in WNY, you are essentially stuck with that CRAP station.

So today, I get out of work, and flip on the radio to see what today's topic is. And lo and behold, the afternoon dunces are pissing and moaning about the AWESOME NEW SCOREBOARD that will be among the tops in the NFL!

True enough, this is OUR $$, not Ralph doing this. Erie County pays the Bills a few million bucks per year to run the stadium, and the county technically owns the facility as well.

Still, way to paint a cool new development as something to bash and gripe about.

These jerks would find a way to criticize a free dinner at their favorite restauruant. In short, NOTHING the Bills do is good. **** do I get sick of hearing that crap.

Howard Simon's show is pretty good, and the nighttime guys are OK. But Shopp and the Bulldog NEVER cease to amaze me when it comes to griping, moaning, and BASHING our BILLS!

Well said.

God forbid the Bills and the county do anything to update the stadium. $5M updrade a yr is a lot less costly than building a 750M stadium. How much is the state putting into the $1B, yes 1 Billion dollar stadium in NYC?

WGR has gotten terrible in the afternoon. I never thought I'd say this, but bring back Chuck Dickerson. I listen to Sirius radio and tune into WEEI in Boston for sports radio over the internet rather than listen to WGR. I can listen to hockey talk for about 1 minute and then I change the channel. I was listening to WEEI and they had more Bills talk last week then Schoop and the Bull Dog as Smerlas was talking about Clements and they were talking about options if A. Samuel leaves.

It is SB week and they barely talk football--it's crazy. And when they do talk Bills' football the only thing they do is criticize the organization. How dare they raise prices--that was last week. Gee they still have the least expensive tix in the league.

I swear they spent all of Tuesday when I was listening talking about if Ryan Miller should get a break during the playoffs, and I turned it on Wedneday and they lead with that. I had heard enough of that pointless conversation on Tues. and Schoop made it sound like he had some fresh material.

When I turned it on later, it was bash the Bills time again - this time the scoreboard.

The #1 show as far as market share. Considering their is no alternative, the fact that they have the largest listening audience in Buffalo should surprise no one.

When I woke up this morning, I was hoping there would be another thread bashing WGR...Thankfully you came through! :lol:

For a group who hates 550, you guys sure listen a lot....

It's just that when you turn that garbage on - for even the two minutes - it's the same garbage, useless topics, that have absolultely NO meaning whatsoever to the reality of the Sabres or the Bills - these guys gotta go.

The freaks @ WGR could learn a lot from WEI Entercom Boston...

It's funny that they don't see the bigger picture in this project...

For the Bills to be successful in WNY they need to get local business to purchase the luxury suites. I'm sure companies purchasing those suites currently are bringing in clients from other parts of the country who are looking at our stadium and saying "nice, but damn this place seems old" (which it is).

Now you throw up some new tech gadgets (huge HD scoreboard and ribbon scoreboards on the side) and it's going to make the Ralph look like it's part of the 20th century. If these fools don't think that perception doesn't play a role in business deals, recruiting and therefore the purchase of luxury suites, they're crazy.

Not to mention the perception of people all around the country that see our stadium on TV when their team plays here (since we don't get any national games :ph34r:.

I just really don't WHY anyone would be against giving our stadium a facelift that is going to improve people's perception of Buffalo...

We can meet at one the closed county libraries or parks to discuss it. :lol:

I never thought I'd say this, but bring back Chuck Dickerson.

Disagreeable football talk is still football talk. In retrospect, year round football was a unique format (and very Buffalo IMO). Similar to what you might get only in Oklahoma or Nebraska these days.

This is SB week afer all and there is very little football talk. Some people say they do, but I may turn it on at 4-5 different times a day and all they talk about is hockey. So I change it. Talk about it in March/April/May when nothing else is going on around here sports wise. But this is what SB week--is it or isn't it? You would not know around Buffalo. WBEN 930 has more football/Bills talk.

Get Sirius radio: NFL radio 24/7, every show they have is fun and informative to listen to (oops, all but one...that being "Taking it to the House" with Keyshon Johnson, thankfully it's only on once a week). I now listen to more radio than I do watch TV.

To me, it's worth the 13 bucks a week.

You're paying $13 a week for Sirius?? You got rooked :lol:

When I woke up this morning, I was hoping there would be another thread bashing WGR...Thankfully you came through! :lol:

For a group who hates 550, you guys sure listen a lot....

I enjoy parts of their programming. I could listen to Howard Simon all day long. He has always been one of my favorite radio personalities. I just wish they'd dump the afternoon crew. Hell, bring back Brinson baby!

Edit: And for clarification, the reason I don't care for Schopp anymore, is how rude and dismissive he can be with callers. Yeah, I'm sure they get tired of hearing the same people call in with silly opinions or comments, but he just gets too high and mighty with people.

Example: Yesterday they were asking for people to call in with their opinions about who they would like to see the Sabres matched up against or avoid in the first round of the playoffs. At least once they phrased the question as "call in and let us know is there someone you want the Sabres to play in the first round..."

Some dude called and said he really had no preference as he felt the Sabres were good enough to take on anyone in the 1st round. A reasonable opinion, and it answered their question. They wanted to know "is there someone" and the guys answer was "no there is not, and here is why...". But before he had a chance to fully explain his position, which ostensibly may have been more than "the Sabres are good" Schopp disconnected him and then went on to berate him for not calling in with anything of substance.