• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

suspension for Nichols

I like how Biron jumps on him right away

Edit: wait...what interference?

874652[/snapback]

Makeup call so it wasn't a 5-on-3 for a month. Emotions tend to run high after that stuff and a long PP for the team with the big lead would likely have ended with even more garbage.

Makeup call so it wasn't a 5-on-3 for a month.  Emotions tend to run high after that stuff and a long PP for the team with the big lead would likely have ended with even more garbage.

874657[/snapback]

It would have actually been just a 7 minute 5-on-4 I believe, so the Spacek penalty wouldn't have done anything.

That was a cheap play.  You want to go, you let the guy turn around and face you.  That kind of crap can end a guy's career.  I hope Jaro is OK.

874651[/snapback]

Yeah, that was pretty screwed up. The two on the major were nice, but at the same time.. what a cheap thing to do. I think my words were "C'mon Marty, club the fkker" when I saw that.

It would have actually been just a 7 minute 5-on-4 I believe, so the Spacek penalty wouldn't have done anything.

874667[/snapback]

You're right. I was more thinking all the penalties they didn't call on Biron (for using his blocker), the other goalie (for leaving his crease), and whoever jumped on Hecht.

That was a cheap play.  You want to go, you let the guy turn around and face you.  That kind of crap can end a guy's career.  I hope Jaro is OK.

874651[/snapback]

the worst thing about that play is if Spacek isnt seriously hurt or doesnt miss time...Nichols will see 10 games at the most.

the league has an opportunity here to do what's right and send a message that will stop this sort of thing once and for all: suspend him for the remainder of the year. But they won't, it'll be a 20-game suspension. Why? Because Spacek wasn't carted off on a stretcher and is most likely only mildly concussed. But the RESULT of the action should be irrelevant. The ACTION should determine the punishment. If someone brings an axe out onto the rink and takes a swipe at someone's neck and only grazes them, should they get a 20 game suspension? It's intent that matters. This only differs from the Bertuzzi hit in that fortunately Spacek didn't fracture a vertebrae.

That's the same kid that gave Connolly his first concussion by the way.

the league has an opportunity here to do what's right and send a message that will stop this sort of thing once and for all: suspend him for the remainder of the year. But they won't, it'll be a 20-game suspension. Why? Because Spacek wasn't carted off on a stretcher and is most likely only mildly concussed. But the RESULT of the action should be irrelevant. The ACTION should determine the punishment. If someone brings an axe out onto the rink and takes a swipe at someone's neck and only grazes them, should they get a 20 game suspension? It's intent that matters. This only differs from the Bertuzzi hit in that fortunately Spacek didn't fracture a vertebrae.

That's the same kid that gave Connolly his first concussion by the way.

874681[/snapback]

I bet he doesn't even get a 5 game suspension. That was a cowardly way to settle a score and I hope the league throws the book at him, but I'm not holding my breath. :lol:

I didn't see it also... Was listening on Sirius...

The other board noted that some Nash fans said Spacek "slew footed" him?

Is that the truth?... Is there any link to the preceding "interference" and punch?...

I noted on the other board that BOTH trainers attended to Jaro...

874707[/snapback]

It didn't look like a slew foot to me. The 2 were crashing the net and Jaro kept him outside and with the 2 battling, basically caused Nichol to run the post HARD.

No data on where the play is on the net. It's probably on YouTube somewhere.

Jaro was not moving prior to the MSG broadcast going to commercial. That is probably why the Nashville trainer came out as well. According to MSG after the game, X-rays were negative on Jaro and they made it sound like he was ok but the team was going to watch him overnight, presumably to make sure he doesn't have a concussion.

I think Nichol should get 10-20 games, but the fact that Jaro skated off the ice under his own power will probably put it at ~3-5 games. Hopefully this coming so soon after the NBA showcased itself and gave its scoring leader a 15 game suspension will shame the NHL into giving a 4th liner a real suspension, but I won't hold my breath waiting for it.

I didn't see it also... Was listening on Sirius...

The other board noted that some Nash fans said Spacek "slew footed" him?

Is that the truth?... Is there any link to the preceding "interference" and punch?...

I noted on the other board that BOTH trainers attended to Jaro...

874707[/snapback]

There was no slew foot. Jaro put his stick between Nichol's feet, so when Nichol tried to avoid the net it ended up turning him awkwardly. If you're going to crash the net, that's one of the chances you take. The shot he gave to a guy who wasn't even looking at him was devastating.

The officials should have given him a match penalty.

As I posted over on SabreSpace, that's the most cowardly thing I've ever seen on the ice.  Gutless.

874799[/snapback]

I wouldn't go that far. I saw Jacque Mailhot attack a guy who was already on a stretcher in the old Colonial League. Mailhot also touched off a melee that caused so much bad blood that the return matchup melee ended up on ESPN.

He went blueline-to-blueline, left his feet and crosschecked defensemen Dean Trboyevich in the face, while the puck was on the opposite wing going into the offensive zone.

There are others that were worse but those are the two that stick in my mind. The minors and juniors have always had worse stuff.

I bet he doesn't even get a 5 game suspension. That was a cowardly way to settle a score and I hope the league throws the book at him, but I'm not holding my breath. :lol:

874682[/snapback]

I'm thinking 1 game, maximum. What precedent has the league set where it would be any different?

I hear Jaro is okay and probably won't miss any time (barring headaches, whiplash, etc.) So that's good.

With the NHL's history of under-suspending, I don't look for much to be done to Nichol. Unfortunately, the league office tends to look at the results rather than the intent. Seeing as Jaro skated off on his own, and probably won't miss a game, I fully expect a wrist slap from the league in the area of 5-10 games. If Jaro was carted off on a stretcher and was out for a month (which easily could've happened because of that sucker punch) the league would be much more harsh. That's just the backwards way they do things.

Props to Biron and Paetsch for trying to get at Nichol. I know Briere, P'ville, and Hecht are not necessarily bruisers, but it would've been nice to see them attempting to do more, rather than pairing off and holding a guy's sweater, a la Miro Satan.