Scottie Nichol Needs to be Suspended for Awhile

Alaska Darin

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know as well as I do that the league has always protected its stars.  Always.  Bertuzzi was an exception because his foul was so egregious, it caused a big injury, and it was on open-ice.

874904[/snapback]

WTF is Briere, if not a star?

If that's "protection," then I'd rather not have it.

Joe...your nonsense gives me a headache...by your logic..Rip Simoneck should be packing some heat and unload a flurry of bullets on anyone that crosses the Sabres....

874914[/snapback]

You're saying that would be a bad idea?

Yeah, that's the spirit.  Let's screw ourselves out of the best shot we've had at the Cup in thirty years!!!

874905[/snapback]

News flash, Norman Einstein, if our skill players and top defensemen are in intensive care with concussions after cheap shots we WON'T win the cup.

Basically your beef here is with the NHL for not suspending AO four weeks ago.  Quit saying the Sabres don't stand up for themselves and quit defining "standing up for themselves" as "hitting the other guy just as bad, or worse, than he hit us."

Because then you're Scott Nichol.  The very thing you're pissed off about today.

874909[/snapback]

Nichol's shot was unwarranted. That was a clean check. Any retaliation against Nichol WOULD be warranted, because that's the kind of thing that can end a career, but for good fortune.

So you might think it's OK to let that sh-- go unchecked. That's fine. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Did Briere get a concussion?

874936[/snapback]

Had his head impacted 6 inches to the right, he'd have had a lot WORSE than a concussion. Again, good fortune prevailed. The next time the Sabres might not be so lucky and they'll be looking at having yet ANOTHER player out for an extended injury.

Maybe that's OK to you. It's not to me.

News flash, Norman Einstein, if our skill players and top defensemen are in intensive care with concussions after cheap shots we WON'T win the cup.

874934[/snapback]

It's a physical game. Players are going to get injured. It has more to do with luck than anything. The Sabres could've won the Cup last year if not for injuries that happened on clean hits to Connolly, Tallinder, and Kalinin. They were all in intensive care due to hits that didn't even require a 2 minute penalty. What's your point?

Scoring two PP goals every time a team takes a cheapie sends a much better message than Peters popping some other team's schlep.

Lost in all this garbage is the fact that the Sabres completely outplayed a legit Stanley Cup contender last night.

Had his head impacted 6 inches to the right, he'd have had a lot WORSE than a concussion. Again, good fortune prevailed. The next time the Sabres might not be so lucky and they'll be looking at having yet ANOTHER player out for an extended injury.

874938[/snapback]

Then again, your problem is with the league. Not the team. In that Washington situation, Gaustad and Mair did everything they could. They were pissed off and threw punches. They can't turn around and deck Ovechkin from behind because then you're retaliating equally or worse which makes you Scott effing Nichol, which makes you the very thing you're pissed off about right now, which makes you scum in the rest of the league's eyes.

Then again, your problem is with the league.  Not the team.  In that Washington situation, Gaustad and Mair did everything they could.  They were pissed off and threw punches.  They can't turn around and deck Ovechkin from behind because then you're retaliating equally or worse which makes you Scott effing Nichol, which makes you the very thing you're pissed off about right now, which makes you scum in the rest of the league's eyes.

Maybe that's OK to you.  It's not to me.

874945[/snapback]

Yeah, because I see SO much hoopla from the rest of the league WRT Nichol.

It isn't even ON ESPN's front page for hockey.

:lol:

Yeah, because I see SO much hoopla from the rest of the league WRT Nichol.

It isn't even ON ESPN's front page for hockey.

:lol:

874953[/snapback]

Shocking. I'm surprised that hockey is on ESPN's front page for hockey. Go to TSN.ca or Sportsnet.ca.

Anyway, you seem to be paying a lot of attention to it.

WTF is Briere, if not a star?

874929[/snapback]

A star for Buffalo. Which we all know means less to the rest of the league. We've dealt with that consistently. Ovechkin is one of the very best, one of the guys the league is banking on like Crosby.

The Sabres are a team that can win. I know which I'd rather root for.

Also, the league doesn't hand out fifteen game suspensions like water. Brooks Orpik probably deserved more than 3 games for his hit on Cole last year and that did a lot more damage than was done to Danny. Guarantee if the guy received a concussion that put him out for weeks, Ovie sees some further discipline.

Basically, the NHL assigns suspensions on a pretty limited basis for dirty hits that cause major injury. That's a lot of qualifiers. We'll take Ovechkin sort of at his word in that he made a really stupid play, and we're going to make sure he is not feeling too good after the 26th. But outright headhunting and goon hockey is just dumb, especially for a team as good as ours.

You have no idea what you're talking about and I can virtually guarantee that your "solution" would have the opposite affect.  Not only that, it'd very likely derail the actual goal of the season.

Please STFU or go root for the Flyers.

874853[/snapback]

Exactly Darin!

I noticed that just Peters on the bench with very minimum minutes (what did he have yeasterday?)... Makes the players SEEM like they are sticking together...

I noticed when Lindy scratches him... The unit appears disjointed!

??

This is what I posted on SabreSpace. I need to run up my post count over here. :w00t: I'm starting to feel inadequate.

Nichol has at least two suspensions in the past. That should weigh in when the verdict comes down. As someone else said, I think they make an example out him...mostly due to the fact that he's a borderline NHL player and the penalty will be compared to Carmello Anthony's, who actually is a star.

As for what Spacek did, until the new rules came about, that's textbook (We called it the canopener, they call it interference now :P ). You get your stick down between his legs and take away his lateral movement. Is it dangerous when someone's crashing like that. Yeah, but my job as a d-man is to prevent him from playing the puck, not to worry whether we're going into the post. I've also seen on some other boards that Spacek should have road him away from the post. It's true, you can leverage and ride a guy out of the play pretty easily if you've got him hogtied, but for the most part you would have to push him out of the play. In this case (at the speeds they were going) Spacek couldn't ride him off, as he would have went right into Marty. Also, maybe my technique sucks, but I've never been able to pull someone out of the play with my stick (unless I have a leg behind his, but that's another story). The stick is there to keep his leg movement limited, it's the body on body that's riding the guy out of the play.

If I was Nichol, I would have been pissed to, but it doesn't change the fact that he jacked a guy who wasn't looking. What makes it even worse in my opinion is that he grabs Spacek by the back of the yoke and "pulls" him into the punch. To me, that says he's not giving Jaro an opportunity to get set.

Does Jaro need to be more aware. Sure does. Taking Nichol's past history into account, you need to know who you're taking out of the play. Even in rec leagues, I make it a point to be aware when the other team's hotheads are out on the ice. Either to draw them into a penalty or to watch out for my own @ss.

This is what I posted on SabreSpace. I need to run up my post count over here. :w00t:  I'm starting to feel inadequate.

Nichol has at least two suspensions in the past. That should weigh in when the verdict comes down. As someone else said, I think they make an example out him...mostly due to the fact that he's a borderline NHL player and the penalty will be compared to Carmello Anthony's, who actually is a star.

As for what Spacek did, until the new rules came about, that's textbook (We called it the canopener, they call it interference now :P ). You get your stick down between his legs and take away his lateral movement. Is it dangerous when someone's crashing like that. Yeah, but my job as a d-man is to prevent him from playing the puck, not to worry whether we're going into the post. I've also seen on some other boards that Spacek should have road him away from the post. It's true, you can leverage and ride a guy out of the play pretty easily if you've got him hogtied, but for the most part you would have to push him out of the play. In this case (at the speeds they were going) Spacek couldn't ride him off, as he would have went right into Marty. Also, maybe my technique sucks, but I've never been able to pull someone out of the play with my stick (unless I have a leg behind his, but that's another story). The stick is there to keep his leg movement limited, it's the body on body that's riding the guy out of the play.

If I was Nichol, I would have been pissed to, but it doesn't change the fact that he jacked a guy who wasn't looking. What makes it even worse in my opinion is that he grabs Spacek by the back of the yoke and "pulls" him into the punch. To me, that says he's not giving Jaro an opportunity to get set.

Does Jaro need to be more aware. Sure does. Taking Nichol's past history into account, you need to know who you're taking out of the play. Even in rec leagues, I make it a point to be aware when the other team's hotheads are out on the ice. Either to draw them into a penalty or to watch out for my own @ss.

875058[/snapback]

Good post man.