Scottie Nichol Needs to be Suspended for Awhile

Alaska Darin

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See this is why I hate the NBA.  Nothing but a bunch of thugs.  Hitting a guy when he's not looking?  What a cowardly move that could have gotten a man seriously injured.  Fck the NBA...

Oh wait... :P

875164[/snapback]

At least the NHL players keep do their crimes on the playing surface? That was supposed to make me feel better about hockey players but strangely it does not. :w00t:

News flash, Norman Einstein, if our skill players and top defensemen are in intensive care with concussions after cheap shots we WON'T win the cup.

874934[/snapback]

The NHL is very strict about players coming off the bench. Seriously, it would be suicide. I understand your frustration but it is up to the Sabres and other victims of these thugs to put pressure on the league rather than solving it in a vigilante way which would hurt your teams playoff chances.

In this case, Darin is right.

I was expecting around 2-3, so I'll take 9 with a smile. To me the bigger issue is the way the NHL handles suspensions on a case by case basis. There should be strict penalties for specific actions, regardless of the outcome. Also the penalties need to be consistent, regardless of the player. Most beer leagues manage to pull it off, but then again their players are only marketable at the local pub.

At least the NHL players keep do their crimes on the playing surface?  That was supposed to make me feel better about hockey players but strangely it does not.  :w00t:

875165[/snapback]

:(

I'm not trying to hijack this too much, but whenever I hear that argument, strangely I think of this.

:P

With regards to the suspension, I'll echo what many have said...it is NOT enough. Whether fighting is part of the NHL culture, hitting someone when he is not looking should never be lumped into such an argument. Look at Carmelo's sissy punch...15 games. What Nichol did was far worse regardless of the sport he plays. 20+ would have worked just fine I think.

:P

I'm not trying to hijack this too much, but whenever I hear that argument, strangely I think of this.

:w00t:

With regards to the suspension, I'll echo what many have said...it is NOT enough.  Whether fighting is part of the NHL culture, hitting someone when he is not looking should never be lumped into such an argument.  Look at Carmelo's sissy punch...15 games.  What Nichol did was far worse regardless of the sport he plays.  20+ would have worked just fine I think.

875210[/snapback]

So basically, you can find 1 criminal act on or off the ice at the NHL level every 2-3 years. Don't you find that at the NBA level on a weekly basis and on the NFL level on a monthly basis?

I don't disagree that 9 games is too short. If the league is sending a message, it should have been 40-82 games; and on it's own merit it should have been 10-20.

I am kind of surprised at the length as well, though I think it is well deserved. Watching the game last night, and seeing the play numerous times, it seemed that Nichols reaction (whether he blindsided Spacek, or hit him face to face) was way over the top. I didn't think there was anything out of the ordinary about the way Spacek defended Nichols on the play...what a punk! I was watching it on TW Center ICE with the Nashille broadcast team (ex WBEN voice Pete Weber) and was amazed by how un-excited they were about the play, and Nichols reaction. They didn't seem to feel anything all that bad had happened, but I thought it was pretty ugly. Maybe not the dirtiest thing I have seen in sports, but certainly the dirtiest (and most cowardly) thing I have seen in a while.

Given that Spacek wasn't injured, I am surprised the suspension was 9 games, not to say I don't agree. I figured it would be three games at most, possibly no games at all. The NHL seems to be a tad chippier this year than last, and the refs seem to have loosen up on some of the calls this year. If they are serious about making these "new rules" count, and taking the goon element out of the game, they need to hand out stiff penalty for this crap. If they start letting things go, again, they will find themselves back in the same boat, with a product that was hard to watch more often than not.

The Nashville broadcast showed a great angle of Marty.  He was on his way to take out Nichol before he even landed the punch.

Two players were already on top of Nichol, one of them being a goalie.  Hecht did the right thing.  He turned around so he could keep any Nashville players from joining in.  Remember, Spacek is out cold on the ground.  You don't want anyone else jumping in on that fight in that situation.

874880[/snapback]

That would be ICE... Out cold on the ICE... :lol::sick:;)