19,000 Titans vs Bills Tickets left

:(

Joe, you just gotta tell her who the boss is and watch anyway!  It is good to be king!

How in the heck can she bar you from watching TV?  Unless... You pose a problem with your TV habits at other times?...

:bag:  :angry:  :angry:

871782[/snapback]

When it involves going to a BAR to see the game... :nana:

Hell, even if I had the dish, I'd be blocked since we go to her family's. Hrm...that gives me an idea...The Fish play on Monday, so I could have my brotherinlaw tape it. YA!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, Lori.....your "show up then" thingy doesnt wash with me. I dont live in the area, but I can tell you that I DO attend at least 30 games a year for my favorite baseball team that I do live close enough to go to regularly. I sat in a sh-------, empty Shea for five years waiting for them to get good again, twice a week, April through September. I put my money where my mouth is.

All I know is almost 20K tixx left for a hot Bills team thats got a good record? Thats not something Bills Nation should be proud of. I dont care if its a holiday. Baseball games are played on Holidays several times a Summer. Fottball games on Thankgiving? Hello? Basketball on Christmas is virtually an institution in America. All these games sell out or draw very, very well. But for us its "Im busy"? "We" are special?  Dont buy it. I understand lack of a big advance for the game, but its a bad job by Bills fans if they cant get at least 65K in that place by Sunday. 

Perhaps it is a big picture type of thing, since the Bills do well overall with attendance. I dunno. It will be interesting to see what the rest of the league draws next week.

871622[/snapback]

i'm not happy to see the stadium short 20K but your argument does not wash with me. Baseball is played on holidays, but 4th of July and Memorial Day are not as celebrated as Christmas. Thanksgiving football is played in the same two stadiums every year and once again, it is not a religous holiday. As for basketball, it only seats 20,000 and the games are usually on Christmas night - after everyone has gotten together, mocked cousin eddy, and pissed and moaned about their slipper socks. I am coming back to Buffalo for the holiday and I never miss a chance to attend a game, but since time is short, and family is a slight notch above the Bills I unfortunately have to miss it although it will kill me...

i'm not happy to see the stadium short 20K but your argument does not wash with me.  Baseball is played on holidays, but 4th of July and Memorial Day are not as celebrated as Christmas.  Thanksgiving football is played in the same two stadiums every year and once again, it is not a religous holiday.  As for basketball, it only seats 20,000 and the games are usually on Christmas night - after everyone has gotten together, mocked cousin eddy, and pissed and moaned about their slipper socks.  I am coming back to Buffalo for the holiday and I never miss a chance to attend a game, but since time is short, and family is a slight notch above the Bills I unfortunately have to miss it although it will kill me...

871873[/snapback]

And the team is technically out of it...I get it.

But still...a half-empty stadium? Not good.

I made a deal with my wife. I told her if she lets me go to this game I will keep the tailgating down to a minimum(probably get there at 11 or so) & I wont come home all drunk & pass out when I get home like I usually do. She told me have fun.

Hell, I'm wife-barred from even watching the game on TV as her family does their holiday sh-- on Eve.

871773[/snapback]

Bad planning. Next time prime her by saying you are getting something special for her and about a week early start getting nervous about it not being ready/in stock... by Christmas. When you have to make a herculean effort to go "pick it up" on Christmas Eve you can see the game, ditch the in-laws, and be a hero.

Bad planning.  Next time prime her by saying you are getting something special for her and about a week early start getting nervous about it not being ready/in stock... by Christmas.  When you have to make a herculean effort to go "pick it up" on Christmas Eve you can see the game, ditch the in-laws, and be a hero.

871991[/snapback]

Or you could just grow a set of balls & tell her you want to watch the football game.

A few numbers, courtesy of the media guide...

First, let it be known that the Bills hardly ever have a home game during Christmas week, much less on Christmas Eve itself. Before the 2003 Miami game (on 12/21 of that year), I had to go back to 1996 to find a home game played between Dec. 21th-24th.

The list:

12-22-1996 - Bills 20, Chiefs 9. Win-or-go-home game for a wild-card spot. Attendance: 68,671. Season-ticket count that year: 41,504.

12-24-1995 - Oilers 28, Bills 17. The only other Christmas Eve home game in team history. Bills made the playoffs that season. Attendance: 45,253. Season-ticket count that year: 40,806.

12-23-1990 - Bills 24, Fish 14. First Super Bowl season. Kelly vs. Marino. Levy vs. Shula. Attendance: 80,235. Season-ticket count that year: 46,307.

(I believe listed stadium capacity back then was still 80,280. All right, where the #%*! were the 45 no-shows?)

Christmas Eve weekend road games since the AFL-NFL merger:

(games on Christmas Eve in italics)

2005 (Cincy): 65,485

2001 (Atlanta): 43,320

2000 (Seattle): 61,025

1994 (Indy): 38,458

1989 (Jets): 21,148

1985 (Miami): 64,811

1980 (49ers): 37,476

Going by those numbers, honestly, is anyone shocked that a Christmas Eve game between two teams that drafted in the top 10 last April might not get 50,000 through the turnstiles?

No excuses.  The game is at 100.  You can go to the game and even make it back to rochester by 600.  It is a day game so stop saying that christmas eve and family gatherings will interfere.  Suck it up.

872716[/snapback]

I'll be there. But my stepdad's side of the family celebrates Christmas on Christmas Eve, starting at noon or thereabouts. His other sons (Bengals fans) are driving in from Cincinnati for the weekend. "Suck it up" does NOT apply.

The obvious solution is to pull a Jacksonville.

Rope off 20,000 of the top row seats of the Ralph which brings the capacity down to around 55,000.

If the top 20,000 seats cost an average of $55, then the revenue loss is $1,100,000.

Spread that $1.1mm over the remaining 55k seats = $20 additional per seat.

Ralph gets the same revenue, the games sell out, Losman goes to the HOF.

Simple.

A few numbers, courtesy of the media guide...

First, let it be known that the Bills hardly ever have a home game during Christmas week, much less on Christmas Eve itself. Before the 2003 Miami game (on 12/21 of that year), I had to go back to 1996 to find a home game played between Dec. 21th-24th.

The list:

12-22-1996 - Bills 20, Chiefs 9. Win-or-go-home game for a wild-card spot. Attendance: 68,671. Season-ticket count that year: 41,504.

12-24-1995 - Oilers 28, Bills 17. The only other Christmas Eve home game in team history. Bills made the playoffs that season. Attendance: 45,253. Season-ticket count that year: 40,806.

12-23-1990 - Bills 24, Fish 14. First Super Bowl season. Kelly vs. Marino. Levy vs. Shula. Attendance: 80,235. Season-ticket count that year: 46,307.

(I believe listed stadium capacity back then was still 80,280. All right, where the #%*! were the 45 no-shows?)

Christmas Eve weekend road games since the AFL-NFL merger:

(games on Christmas Eve in italics)

2005 (Cincy): 65,485

2001 (Atlanta): 43,320

2000 (Seattle): 61,025

1994 (Indy): 38,458

1989 (Jets): 21,148

1985 (Miami): 64,811

1980 (49ers): 37,476

Going by those numbers, honestly, is anyone shocked that a Christmas Eve game between two teams that drafted in the top 10 last April might not get 50,000 through the turnstiles?

872710[/snapback]

Hey I was at a couple of those 85- fish and 89 - jests

I made a deal with my wife.  I told her if she lets me go to this game I will keep the tailgating down to a minimum(probably get there at 11 or so) & I wont come home all drunk & pass out when I get home like I usually do.  She told me have fun.

871951[/snapback]

The beauty of compromise :nana:

I don't know if many people remember this, but the Houston Comeback game wasn't a sellout. Neither were a few other playoff games - and that was when Buffalo was going to Super Bowls.

871294[/snapback]

I won't read through three screens to see if anyone else said this, but no, the ONLY playoff game during the SB years that wasn't sold out was the Oilers game.

As for this weekend, I offered to take some ex-pat relatives, for free (to them), in heated seats, and it was a universal "no." Not because of the team or weather; they just wanted to be with more family. Sometimes sports take a back seat, and sometimes sports should.

No excuses.  The game is at 1:00.  You can go to the game and even make it back to rochester by 6:00.  It is a day game so stop saying that christmas eve and family gatherings will interfere.  Suck it up.

872716[/snapback]

My daughter is coming in from CT. My other three children and 5 grandchildren will be at the house Sunday. I will be cooking sausage outside on the grill in my Bills jersey, listening to the game on the radio, and playing with the grandkids while "Papa" is still cool. ;)

"Christmas Eve and family gatherings will interfere."

...and that's the truth :nana:

Family is first priority.

Does anyone know what attendance is like around the rest of the league for this sunday? Maybe before we start thinking we are the only ones not selling out we should look at other teams too and compare. Looking at the previous stats given in this thread of previous christmas eve games, we are right on track to what usually sells.

Its reasonable for the entire league to have low attendance this week because of the holiday. Most people do things with the family on this holiday (probably one of the biggest family holidays of the year) Most people stay home and spend the time with family in Buffalo or travel all over the country.

I would be really surprised to see any stadium completly sold out this weekend and packed with fans.