19,000 Titans vs Bills Tickets left

I really should let this post stand on its own brilliance...

Okay Lauri, whatever.  Why dont you include Rochester, Northern PA & Southern Ontario in the population for the bills.

So to match the population in the Cleveland and Pittsburgh MSAs, you want to add everything within a two-hour drive of Buffalo. Okay, I'll add Columbus' 1.7 million people to Cleveland's number. Takes me longer to drive from northern PA to Orchard Park than from Cleveland to Columbus.

I know you think you own this board because you have 6,000 posts & you are one of the few people who bring some kind of food to the annual Bills Tailgate, but please spare me.

When it comes to this subject, you should care about baseball because it is interchangeable.  I explain it for even a moron like you could understand.

You know, if you're going to call someone else a moron, you really should try typing sentences in comprehensible English. But I digress. Back to the point...

In baseball cities like Pittsburgh & Cleveland (mainly pittsburgh) have low payrolls because they dont have a big tv contract.  Why dont they get a big tv contract?  Because baseball(unlike football) doesnt have shared revenue & their markets are not big enough to warrant a tv contract.  Hence the phrase small market.  The same logic applies for football also.

Did I go slow enough for you jerkoff.

And regional baseball TV contracts have.... what, exactly, to do with NFL attendance data?

Have a nice day...

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaha, I really don't think you want to do that... I'll give you a hint.  Look at my location and realize I work for a large software company in that area.

874089[/snapback]

Big deal, you work at Microsoft. You probably work in customer service making $11 an hour

You didnt read my whole posting, it said most of these cities are small markets.  One last thing, if you include Toronto, Rcohester, Syracuse & Erie, Im pretty sure sure we have a pretty big fan base to choose from also.

874028[/snapback]

If you aren't including Denver as a comparable as a small market, why throw it in there in the 1st place?

Also, (using 2000 data, current would make Buffalo's size even smaller in comparison) Buffalo's MSA had 1,170,111 people, Denver's 2,581,506. Throwing in your additional areas (minus Toronto, when Bills games start getting even 10,000 Canadians in attendence, then we'll consider adding TO; although I did include Erie even though only 1/3 of the people there are Bills fans) plus Elmira to Buffalo's total gives WNY 3,372,342 and only counting the state of Colorado (which is ENTIRELY Denver's market and only a small portion of it) gives Denver's market 4,301,261. So locally, Buffalo's market is only 45% of Denver's and even comparing Buffalo's region to only a portion of Denver's puts Buffalo's market at 78% the size of Denver's.

Lori had some good advice. Do your homework next time.

Big deal, you work at Microsoft.  You probably work in customer service making $11 an hour

874101[/snapback]

Yeah, I'd move all the way out from NY to be a CSR... :doh:

And while you're at it, try responding to Lori's comments.

Look, my original point was you cant look at markets in a vacuum & just assume Buffalo is a small market.  From where they draw from, which includes Toronto, they have a bigger market then most.  There are going to be 20,000 empty seats at the game sunday & I think that is a disgrace.  I also think it is a disgrace that we have had the last 4 games blacked out.  Spare me the talk on we have the largest stadium.  We also have the cheapest seats so I think it evens out.  Everybody gives Jacksonville & Oakland a tough time, you know in order for people there to even purchase some season tickets, they need to buy a PSL.  If they tried to do that here, there would be riots in the street. 

As far as you calling me a looser because I spelled someone's name wrong??  Lets compare paychecks, we will see who the looser is.

874075[/snapback]

firstly, Looser is an adjective not a noun. secondly, you cite Toronto as part of the Buffalo market and then go on to deduce that 20,000 empty seats on Christmas Eve is a disgrace because Bills fans (who, thanks to Tornoto are NOT in a comparative short supply) are lazy and cheap.

Are you suggesting that Bills are a lousy francise because they aren't good enough to convince patrons from a foreign country to cross the boarder, drink alcohol and do drugs all day, watch the Bills, then sit in traffic for a few hours while attempting to make it home in time for the midnight candle lighting service?

I dont know if you've ever been to a Bills game. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you have but I must believe that you've never tailgated at one. I for one do not remember anything about the last two games I saw (Denver 05, GB 06). While the sun rises and sets on Buffalo Bills football for a large population of men between the ages of 15 and 75, there are wives, mothers, sisters, aunts, grandmothers, and girlfriends who probably wouldn't approve of their respective 'men' returning home on Christmas Eve stinking like a stale combination of beer, bourbon, pot, and urine. Cut them a break.

Yeah, I'd move all the way out from NY to be a CSR...  :doh:

And while you're at it, try responding to Lori's comments.

874108[/snapback]

I did respond to Lori's comments. She doesnt want to get it. Why is Pittsburgh & Cleveland considered small market in baseball, but the same logic does not apply to football? BTW, Columbus is a real stretch for Cleveland. They are closer to Cincy then Cleveland.

If you aren't including Denver as a comparable as a small market, why throw it in there in the 1st place?

Also, (using 2000 data, current would make Buffalo's size even smaller in comparison)  Buffalo's MSA had 1,170,111 people, Denver's 2,581,506.  Throwing in your additional areas (minus Toronto, when Bills games start getting even 10,000 Canadians in attendence, then we'll consider adding TO; although I did include Erie even though only 1/3 of the people there are Bills fans) plus Elmira to Buffalo's total gives WNY 3,372,342 and only counting the state of Colorado (which is ENTIRELY Denver's market and only a small portion of it) gives Denver's market 4,301,261.  So locally, Buffalo's market is only 45% of Denver's and even comparing Buffalo's region to only a portion of Denver's puts Buffalo's market at 78% the size of Denver's.

Lori had some good advice.  Do your homework next time.

874103[/snapback]

1. Don't mess with Lori.

2. Do you have insider knowledge on the Denver fan base? I just can't see people from thew surrounding states (with sparse populuations) traveling hundreds of miles in large numbers to see the Broncos. How can you say Colorado is a "small portion" of the market?

3. Does anyone know where Bills fans come from? For me, coming from NYC, and for those who come to games along 20A, Orchard Park is great. For everyone from Rochester and Niagra Falls (both sides), it can't be that great.

firstly, Looser is an adjective not a noun.  secondly, you cite Toronto as part of the Buffalo market and then go on to deduce that 20,000 empty seats on Christmas Eve is a disgrace because Bills fans (who, thanks to Tornoto are NOT in a comparative short supply) are lazy and cheap. 

Are you suggesting that Bills are a lousy francise because they aren't good enough to convince patrons from a foreign country to cross the boarder, drink alcohol and do drugs all day, watch the Bills, then sit in traffic for a few hours while attempting to make it home in time for the midnight candle lighting service?

I dont know if you've ever been to a Bills game.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you have but I must believe that you've never tailgated at one.  I for one do not remember anything about the last two games I saw (Denver 05, GB 06).  While the sun rises and sets on Buffalo Bills football for a large population of men between the ages of 15 and 75, there are wives, mothers, sisters, aunts, grandmothers, and girlfriends who probably wouldn't approve of their respective 'men' returning home on Christmas Eve stinking like a stale combination of beer, bourbon, pot, and urine.  Cut them a break.

874114[/snapback]

Wow, this post is really reaching.  When did I ever in any of my posts call the bills fans lazy & cheap.  I have been to more bills home games then 90% of this board.  Been a season ticket holder for 12 years.  We are in lot 5 off of southwestern @ 8:30 every sunday home game.  We park in the same lot as the bills army & their white bus parks.    Im certainly not suggesting that the bills are a lousy franchise.  All Im saying is that paint brush for greatest fans in the league gets spread pretty wide around here & it is just not true.  There will probably be 2 or 3 stadiums in the league that dont sellout this weekend.  Unfortunately ours will be one of them.

So Lori, since you own this board, can't you get SDS to do a better job when he tries to upgrade the board server for you.  :doh:

874117[/snapback]

Tough to get good help these days...

(Uh, boss, that was a joke, okay?)

For what its worth, my Aunts/Uncles in Buffalo aren't going to the game either. Reason: Christmas Eve is a time for family and long-standing family traditions and that doesn't include a trip to a Bills' game.

Bottomline, this game won't sell out. But, it has absolutely nothing to do with the fanbase's commitment to the team.

The Lions sell out the Thanksgiving game (for ex); but remember that game is played regularly there and for many of those fans, that is their family tradition. So, its a different situation.

I did respond to Lori's comments.  She doesnt want to get it.  Why is Pittsburgh & Cleveland considered small market in baseball, but the same logic does not apply to football?  BTW, Columbus is a real stretch for Cleveland.  They are closer to Cincy then Cleveland.

874116[/snapback]

And if Buffalo had a major league baseball team, would they be considered small-market?

And Buffalo doesn't have a major-league baseball team because...

And if Buffalo had a major league baseball team, would they be considered small-market?

And Buffalo doesn't have a major-league baseball team because...

874125[/snapback]

Buffalo is small market. But so is Pittsburgh & Cleveland.

firstly, Looser is an adjective not a noun. secondly, you cite Toronto as part of the Buffalo market and then go on to deduce that 20,000 empty seats on Christmas Eve is a disgrace because Bills fans (who, thanks to Tornoto are NOT in a comparative short supply) are lazy and cheap.

I dont know if you've ever been to a Bills game. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you have but I must believe that you've never tailgated at one. I for one do not remember anything about the last two games I saw (Denver 05, GB 06). While the sun rises and sets on Buffalo Bills football for a large population of men between the ages of 15 and 75, there are wives, mothers, sisters, aunts, grandmothers, and girlfriends who probably wouldn't approve of their respective 'men' returning home on Christmas Eve stinking like a stale combination of beer, bourbon, pot, and urine. Cut them a break.

874114[/snapback]

Wow, this post is really reaching. When did I ever in any of my posts call the bills fans lazy & cheap. I have been to more bills home games then 90% of this board. Been a season ticket holder for 12 years. We are in lot 5 off of southwestern @ 8:30 every sunday home game. We park in the same lot as the bills army & their white bus parks. Im certainly not suggesting that the bills are a lousy franchise. All Im saying is that paint brush for greatest fans in the league gets spread pretty wide around here & it is just not true. There will probably be 2 or 3 stadiums in the league that dont sellout this weekend. Unfortunately ours will be one of them.

874122[/snapback]

All Im saying, and I'm not the only one saying it, Christmas, not Buffalo is the reason for the empty seats. But Buffalo sure doesn't help.

All Im saying, and I'm not the only one saying it, Christmas, not Buffalo is the reason for the empty seats.  But Buffalo sure doesn't help.

874134[/snapback]

What was the reason for the empty seats the last 3 home games prior to this one?

I did respond to Lori's comments.  She doesnt want to get it.  Why is Pittsburgh & Cleveland considered small market in baseball, but the same logic does not apply to football?  BTW, Columbus is a real stretch for Cleveland.  They are closer to Cincy then Cleveland.

874116[/snapback]

One can easily get to Cleveland (approximately 126 miles) and Cinci ( approximately 107 miles) from Columbus in less than three hours. To get from Toronto to Buffalo is a major hassle on most any day because of the line at the bridges. It used to take two hours. The increased questioning and security is a major deterrent to coming across from Canada for Bills games or any other reason. It is a similar hassle to come across by foot, bike or motor vehicle from Tijuana, Mexico to San Diego. And when you consider all the traffic for last minute Christmas shopping, border crossing from Canada and Mexico to the U.S. is avoided this weekend by many. BTW, even though San Diego is considered the seventh largest city in the U. S., it is still called a small market. Go figure!

Anybody from Toronto have anything to add?