Thank you Tony Kornheiser....

Chilly

For calling out Joe Theisman after he says something extremely stupid.

Theisman during MNF explained what a hard count was, and went "hut HUT" to demonstrate. Immediately afterward, Kornheiser goes, "Thanks for explaining what a hard count is Joe. Now hopefully you'll explain off-sides or a 2pt conversion"

Theisman during MNF explained what a hard count was, and went "hut HUT" to demonstrate.  Immediately afterward, Kornheiser goes, "Thanks for explaining what a hard count is Joe.  Now hopefully you'll explain off-sides or a 2pt conversion"

800306[/snapback]

That's why I turn the sound down. I don't need some idiot explaining the game to me. Was like when Fox had that glowing streaking puck. :lol:

I wouldn't be shocked if Kornheiser didn't know what a hard count was. He didn't know what a silent count was and why someone would use one a few weeks ago. He said if you like scoreless watch soccer or hockey. We all know how many NHL games end in scoreless ties :lol: .

I wouldn't be shocked if Kornheiser didn't know what a hard count was. He didn't know what a silent count was and why someone would use one a few weeks ago. He said if you like scoreless watch soccer or hockey. We all know how many NHL games end in scoreless ties :lol: .

800423[/snapback]

Don't get me wrong, Kornheiser isn't that great, but Theisman is the worst of the bunch.

I'm still not over his pick for coach of the year last Christmas.... MIKE FUGGIN TICE? ;)

Don't get me wrong, Kornheiser isn't that great, but Theisman is the worst of the bunch.

I'm still not over his pick for coach of the year last Christmas.... MIKE FUGGIN TICE?  :lol:

800425[/snapback]

I'm know Theisman fan, but alteast he fuggin played meaning that he has something to base his oppinions on. They try to hype up Tony (atleast I find) like he is some sort of football guru. I say this because of the "Ask Tony" segment.

Theisman during MNF explained what a hard count was, and went "hut HUT" to demonstrate.  Immediately afterward, Kornheiser goes, "Thanks for explaining what a hard count is Joe.  Now hopefully you'll explain off-sides or a 2pt conversion"

800306[/snapback]

That was awsome. I'm convinced if your speaking to Theisman any conversation, no matter what the topic, will somehow relate back to Thesiman.

My favorite Tony/Theisman moment came when they made some reference to Eric Hipple (an old Lions QB from the late 70's early 80's for the kiddies)...Theisman says "I almost got traded for Eric Hipple"....Tony says, disgustedly "You mean I could be sitting here with him instead?"

I kind of like Tony K...Theisman is a blowhard, but he really doesn't bother me that much....Tirico is as bland as you can get...

My favorite Tony/Theisman moment came when they made some reference to Eric Hipple (an old Lions QB from the late 70's early 80's for the kiddies)...Theisman says "I almost got traded for Eric Hipple"....Tony says, disgustedly "You mean I could be sitting here with him instead?"

Yeah, that was worth a chuckle.

Seemed to be quite a bit of 'dead air' on tonight's broadcast. (Then again, when Joey T. is the alternative, some would consider that a step in the right direction... :lol: )

I kind of like Tony K...Theisman is a blowhard, but he really doesn't bother me that much....Tirico is as bland as you can get...

800457[/snapback]

I tend to listen to the radio or ignore the TV commentarors unless there is an injury or something that needs specific explanation if I am forced to listen to ABC.

When you said you were going to give us your favorite Theisman moment, my first thoughts were not of his game commentary, but when David Letterman did his Joe Theisman imitation by placing the leg of some football model on a pencil shapener where the twist in the handle was the knee joint and the sharper turned in directions impossible for the intact human leg.

I never root for injuries, but this joke afterward was a sight gag which made me laugh and I doubt I would have if the target were someone other than Theiezman (who changed the pronunciation for the Heisman battle during college.

That booth is a work in progress and I hope as Tony K grows into his role, Theismann has the good sense to shrink some. Tony K is a special talent with a light touch (even when he is on the needle) and in that three man gig is the LEAST replaceable. Quality analysts and play by play men are not a tough get.

Best Mr. Tony radio bit was running his "Snackdown" up against Rome's annual "Smackdown" in which his listeners would talk junk food for a few hours (accompanied by Rome style sound effects). Simple counterprogramming, clever without being mean spirited.

My favorite is when Theisman explained that the wet conditions actually made the ball easier to throw because it was "tackier". He then said that Jake was wearing gloves and McNair wasn't. It was personal preference. Followed by Jake sailing a pass over Walker.

Kornheiser: "So you are saying that the rain doesn't make it harder to throw."

Theesman: "No, Jake is just not throwing acurately."

The Desperate Housewives bit was just !@#$ing ridiculous, but it's one of the main reasons I TIVO the game and watch it delayed.

Yet, even though I didn't have to sit through it, I couldn't help but wonder: exactly how many viewers of that show are watching MNF? I want to believe the MNF audience is primarily a bunch of grown men drinking beer in sports bars while throwing some darts.

If you want to promote that !@#$ing show during MNF, do us a favor and get Eva Langoria buck-!@#$ing-naked and have Tony Kornole tickle her nipples with that !@#$ing combover. It's good for a laugh and I don't have to FF through the crap.

And I believe Theesman explaining the hard count was a shot at Kornhole for not knowing what a silent count was last week, though Acor was absolutely right about the discussion about how rain affects the ball. Jake Plummer looked like Stevie Wonder in the first half, but despite the discussion of the gloves, no one wanted to suggest maybe the gloves were part of the problem.

The Desperate Housewives bit was just !@#$ing ridiculous, but it's one of the main reasons I TIVO the game and watch it delayed.

Yet, even though I didn't have to sit through it, I couldn't help but wonder: exactly how many viewers of that show are watching MNF? I want to believe the MNF audience is primarily a bunch of grown men drinking beer in sports bars while throwing some darts.

If you want to promote that !@#$ing show during MNF, do us a favor and get Eva Langoria buck-!@#$ing-naked and have Tony Kornole tickle her nipples with that !@#$ing combover. It's good for a laugh and I don't have to FF through the crap.

And I believe Theesman explaining the hard count was a shot at Kornhole for not knowing what a silent count was last week, though Acor was absolutely right about the discussion about how rain affects the ball. Jake Plummer looked like Stevie Wonder in the first half, but despite the discussion of the gloves, no one wanted to suggest maybe the gloves were part of the problem.

800562[/snapback]

At first I was disappointed to see this thread at the top of the list this morning, but after reading the the last few posts, my day is off to a good start.

800562[/snapback]

I have tried for five minutes now and I cannot get that mental picture to go away. :lol:

That booth is a work in progress and I hope as Tony K grows into his role, Theismann has the good sense to shrink some. Tony K is a special talent with a light touch (even when he is on the needle) and in that three man gig is the LEAST replaceable. Quality analysts and play by play men are not a tough get.

Best Mr. Tony radio bit was running his "Snackdown" up against Rome's annual "Smackdown" in which his listeners would talk junk food for a few hours (accompanied by Rome style sound effects). Simple counterprogramming, clever without being mean spirited.

800471[/snapback]

Oh my word, I think Kornheiser is THE biggest joke to step into the booth in the history of MNF. It just goes to show how different peoples tastes can be.

Oh my word, I think Kornheiser is THE biggest joke to step into the booth in the history of MNF.  It just goes to show how different peoples tastes can be.

800874[/snapback]

I think a lot of it can be traced to whether or not you watch PTI. I watch PTI and enjoy Kornheisers wit and opinions. At the same time, I can see how some might not.

I don't like Kornheiser very much, but Thiesman is the worst announcer ever. I am glad that somebody else heard him talking about how heavy rain in 38 degree weather makes the ball easier to throw because I thought that I was trippin. I like that Kornheiser kept bringing it up because he couldn't believe how full of it Theisman was.

I like Kornheiser, I don't want everybody calling the game to know more than me in regards to football. He lightens up the telecast. Can you imagine Tierico, Theisman, and McGuire calling the game?

I wouldn't mind them replacing Theisman with Bob Trumpy, same a-hole commentary without the ego.

Oh my word, I think Kornheiser is THE biggest joke to step into the booth in the history of MNF.  It just goes to show how different peoples tastes can be.

800874[/snapback]

You really think Kornheiser is worse than Dennis Miller? To me Miller (who I liked at the time, very much) was horrendous....

I like Kornheser, as to me, he is one of the only ESPN personalities I can stomach from the last 5 years or so. I think he has some problems doing the games (I love fantasy football, but I really hate hearing unsolicited info about someone elses' team, when I am wathching an actual real game), but I think he has been pretty subdued. I think the Theisman/Kornheiser friction can be entertaining, at times. ESPN is obviously trying to re-create some of the contentiousness that existed during the "golden era" of MNF, between Cosell and Meredith. The difference is, during those days, it was novel, because sports broadcasts normally had a sense of decorum about them.

Once ESPN discovers that the battle between Theisman and Kornheiser is being acknowledged by viewers, they will do what they always do, and turn it into another ESPN franchise....we will see little cartoon characters of Tony K & Joe T, with boxing gloves, and there will be score tracker in the corner of the screen...for now though, it is working for me...people seem to be talking about it a lot (there has been a post started nearly every Monday night about the MNF broadcasts, since the pre-season), so you could argue that ESPN is on to something, good or bad...

Kornheiser is at his best when he can be loudmouthed and argumentative. (Believe it or not that is a compliment.) Unfortunately, MNF is not exactly the forum for his style of broadcasting.

If they dumped Tirico, added Wilbon, and just let the two of them tear into Theismann, then we would have some entertaining television my friends. You wouldn't know what was going on in the game..... but you would probably be getting some chuckles.

I wouldn't mind them replacing Theisman with Bob Trumpy, same a-hole commentary without the ego.

800918[/snapback]

That's the ticket, though I would prefer a pure geek like Jaworski rather than a broadcaster. I understand those of you who don't want a joker in the booth, but for better or worse the MNF franchise has been defined by its "personality" rather than by traditional analysis. Howard Cosell and Dandy Don made the show "appointment television" before that phrase existed. Players were making about 60 grand and people were watching BASEBALL on TV.

And now ? Can't blame ESPN for following the formula.

I like TK on PTI, but not on MNF. To me, there is just way too much effort on his part to add something constructive during the game. It sounds forced and that annoys me.

On the other hand, JT is also hard to listen to. I had to laugh when he was talking about a player (I wasn't paying that close attention) but the gist of it was that his work ethinc and leadership was infectious and permeated the entire team. Unfortunately, he said it "transcends" the entire team, instead.

Joe needs to limit his attempts to use big words.

800918[/snapback]

Uh, no thanks. When he was commenting, he was a big one for barking out "They HAVE to go for the first down here". Then the team fails the try, and he would say with his next breath "I CAN'T believe they didn't go for the sure FG".

He showed up now and again on local radio here in Cincinnati a couple of years past, but not recently...his ego just drips...he's nasty, mean, belitlting, presumptious, arrogance and so forth rankled most everybody...

:) The intro to PTI...

Wilbon: Pardon the interruption, but I'm Mike Wilbon. Tony and I were both in Denver last night, but only one of us was able to get up this morning and get on a plane to fly back.

Kornheiser: What can I say? Theisman and I like to snuggle.

801187[/snapback]

THAT IS FUNNY!

TK is good for MNF, he knows football, he can form complete sentances and has reasonable opinions. Theisman is a pompus ass who speak with an air of arogance which is just too painful to watch. Sean Salisbury is less annoying, if not by much.

Kornhieser is funny as hell. I live in DC and used to read his columns (he writes one, once in a blue moon nowadays) and the were sheer brilliance.

Tony & Joe have known eachother for over 20 years, I actually think that the chemistry is there, but it just hasn't manifested itself quite yet on the show because Tony is still getting used to doing the games.

It's still a helluva lot better than Dennis Miller.

Joe Theisman is a donkey but, he was explaining the hard count because previously Tony didn't know what a silent count was so it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't know what a hard count was or for that matter off sides and a 2pt conversion....and on the "wet" ball thing....Joe was trying to say it is easier as long as the ball is not soaking wet, (when the ball boys do their jobs).... have you ever thrown a wet football just after it has been wiped off with a towel....it does stick to your hand somewhat...that might be why some qb's lick their fingers before the ball is snapped?