Joe D comments on Fergy's analysis

Buftex

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At times he did. At times he didn't.

At times he made great reads. At other times, he tried to gun it to a guy when there was an open, high-completion option available.

786729[/snapback]

Which is what all decent and good and great QBs do in every game. Do you really want your QB to look at a WR, decide he can make the throw, and then NOT make the throw because he wants to check and see if other WRs may be open? That is what gets you killed. And again, I wish someone would refer to any or many plays where he locked on a guy, threw into double coverage, or a risky pass and it was a glaring mistake besides the INT, which is arguable. You gave an example of one where another WR was open but again, that's only a bad play if the guy he did throw it to was an ill-advised pass. I don't recall plays like that.

This thread didnt even have anything to do with winning or losing, playing well or playing lousy. Only whether he locked in on receivers or not.

786720[/snapback]

Exactly!

And then it turned into a bunch of stats that don't really prove or disprove anything, and a few sarcastic responses...hell, I wasn't even necessarilly saying I agreed with what Ferguson had to say, only recounting what he said...I just thought it was interesting. I have only seen JP play live, once. It was last years game in San Antonio, against the Saints. Back then, I will say, JP locked onto recievers. It may be that he still does, at critical times...

I don't think the critique was meant to mean every single play. But I forget, we are all very literal here. Watching on television yesterday, I saw at two instances where JP ignored (or didn't see) much better targets, not as far down field (McGahee & Peerless Price), which likely would have resulted first downs, in favor of longer throws that went incomplete.

I went on to the board this morning, and saw people blaming the loss on Willis McGahees' poor blocking, Jaurons' decision making, wide receivers not playing hard enough, etc etc...why is observing a possible bad tendancy in Losmans' game such a mortal sin?

Don't take it so hard Kelly, I have too much respect for you to refer to you as Mr Rove! :D

You gave an example of one where another WR was open but again, that's only a bad play if the guy he did throw it to was an ill-advised pass. I don't recall plays like that.

786751[/snapback]

I would say it was ill-advised. iirc, Evans fell down to make the catch.

There were a couple others, but I couldn't cite them specifically w/o the tape. On the above one, I remember yelling, "Look to your right!" and then a big 'Whew.'

In one sense, I think it'll build JP's (Sigh... Can he just switch to Jon already, it always sounds like you're talking about a 10-year-old with "JP" :D) confidence.... and to add something, it was a bad weather day, which factors in too. The fumble problems were attributable to blocking failures on his blindside, not so much his fault.

Plus, Fergy doesn't like players who hold their heads up after making mistakes. He thinks it's showy.

786632[/snapback]

Before I even got to your post this topic made think of Fergy, and damn if I didn't picture him with that glum head down look in my mind. It kind of personified the sucky Bills back then, IMO.

It seems unlikely that JP could both stare down only his first target AND throw the ball for over 300 yards in 30 mph winds. This seems especially unlikely when you look to how he spread the ball around and checked down so often to McGahee. They even had a replay of him running through his progressions before finding Royal 15 yards down the middle.

It just doesn't seem to add up.

Okay, whatever, the fanboys win...Losman played a near flawless game yesterday, the reasons for losing all lie solely at the feet of the wide recievers, Willis McGahee, the offensive line, and the coaching staff...I think I got it Mr Rove...

786701[/snapback]

Sorry man just typing what I saw and yes the stats to the recievers don't lie. JPL played a good game in my eyes not a flawless one. He wasn't locking onto his wide-outs. JP played good enough to win yesterday. I'm not pinning the loss on one aspect of the football team. It's a team sport. Sorry Fergy is wrong.

Sorry man just typing what I saw and yes the stats to the recievers don't lie.  JPL played a good game in my eyes not a flawless one.  He wasn't locking onto his wide-outs.  JP played good enough to win yesterday.  I'm not pinning the loss on one aspect of the football team.  It's a team sport.  Sorry Fergy is wrong.

786863[/snapback]

Fair enough.

JPL played a very good game against the Jets Sunday, I agree, but I don't agree that he played good enough to win...his team lost, and he contributed pretty heavily toward that. "Good enough to win" can mean something different every week....300 yards in the air is nice, but 3 turnovers (no matter who we are blaming them on) will rarely cut it.

Anyway, sorry to cause a ruckus...it really wasn't my intent. I think that some of you are simplifying things a bit to make your argument. The number of different receivers that JP threw to really doesn't prove anything, other than that he spread the ball around. Isn't it possible that McGahee was his (not necessarily the play designers) intended target from the outset?

I think what Ferguson (or Joe D) was implying was not that Losman never scans the field, but when he scrambles, to buy time (which he did very well yesterday), he normally stays locked onto one receiver...I know it happened a few times yesterday, and I am sure it has happened in other games. It may not be happening as much, but they seem to feel it is still an issue. For what it is worth...

First off, the Bills shoudn't have lost this game! But the outcome reminded me of the opener against the Jets in 2003, I think it was.... total domination statistically, but Chad Morton stole the show! This loss was Kerry Rhodes doing ALL the damage for the Jets. On JP's performance, I'm thrilled with a 300+ yard game and his overall management of the offense in the first three games. Progress is evident! He didn't play great Sunday, but the signs point to a better QB throughout the rest of the season. I simply don't know yet if he can strap this team on his back yet, but I'm willing to believe he will be able to later on in the second half of this season. This is pure speculation on my part, but if the progression rings true, he can and will do it soon!

Plus, Fergy doesn't like players who hold their heads up after making mistakes. He thinks it's showy.

786632[/snapback]

I remember his comment after a Kelly-led Bills win in Miami. paraphrased: "I don't know if they (The Bills) really know what they've done. You just don't go to Miami and win." :D

I don't want to kick him in the nads after his battle with the big C, but I will say, I never liked Joe Ferguson.

Actually, I just found the comments interesting, because they were coming from an experienced NFL QB, and an experienced coach, and were made away from the microphones. Just some insight into what kind of progress Losman seems to be making in his development. 

FWIW, I also heard Ferguson, last week, say that he thought Losman had plenty of talent to succeed.  I assume that Ferguson might be able to tell, better than the avarge Bills fan, what Losman is seeing. 

Personally, I like what I am seeing, for the most part, from Losman.

786590[/snapback]

So you actually think that Joe Ferguson should become the QB coach of The Bills? :D

You can't seriously think that JP's performance isn't dissected to the nth degree by the current staff. i.e., What Fergy said would not come as a revelation to Schonert. What play was called, and who the hot receivers were however, would be a revelation to Fergy. :doh:

BTW, DeLamielleure was a HOF guard. I'm unaware of his coaching credentials.

This is actually a VERY easy issue to verify.

If JP locks onto his primary receiver, he'll be intercepted and/or sacked quite frequently. If he was doing it against the Jets, the Vikings' veteran secondary will feast on him. But I'm guessing this isn't the case, because we would've seen more INTs by now - the one he did throw on Sunday was his first of the year, and it had nothing to do with locking on - it was simply a stupid decision to loft a duck into double coverage. Inexcusable, but for different reasons.

LOL

I love Joe Ferguson, but remember this is the guy who got the Bills to change to red helmets. He was throwing too many interceptions to guys in white helmets (Dolphins and Patriots). I take it with a grain of salt.

786746[/snapback]

:D ...didn't know that. But it makes sense.

The B'gal and Browns' various combinations of home and away uniforms are quite similar, and although the B'gals helmets have those dumb black stripes, I've seen many a qb on either team fling picture-perfect passes into the arms of the opponent like he was one of his own... :doh:

I think that the Jets changed their helmet color first, from white to solid green, because Richard Todd was having trouble recognizing receivers over the middle when both teams wore white helmets. Then I think the Bills did the same thing with Fergy a year or two later. It actually makes a little sense.

BTW, DeLamielleure was a HOF guard. I'm unaware of his coaching credentials.

786937[/snapback]

Actually, I was referring to Ferguson...he was a QB coach at LSU, and an OC at Louisiana State and Arkansas...I have heard him comment before, about being pretty familiar with Losman, as he follows Lousiana and Arkansas are college football avidly.

Anyway, you "fanboys" are only proving my point...you are now attacking Fergusons' credentials, because he made an off the cuff comment about a possible flaw in Losman's game...to criticize Ferguson for wearing his heart on his sleeve during his playing days (including hanging his head), is kind of ironic in defending Losman. In that aspect of the game, Losman and Ferguson are pretty similar...Rico, I hope you were kidding!