Joe D comments on Fergy's analysis

Buftex

What's the common denominator between this year and last: the coaches or the QB?

786616[/snapback]

I haven't thought about this year, 3 games isn't a huge body of work.

JP played a good second half yesterday, so I'd say it was on last years staff.

Keep bitchin', JP will keep pitchin'.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't thought about this year,  3 games isn't a huge body of work.

JP played a good second half yesterday,  so I'd say it was on last years staff.

Keep bitchin',  JP will keep pitchin'.

786623[/snapback]

but how great was that recovered onside kick. i was frustrated and ready to shut the game off, but this team continues to play all the way through. God Bless Bobby April. :D

No, he became the hot receiver because of the blitz. Losman read it and parrish made the change in the route and it was a TD. If he went to the primary receiver of the play call, it would not have been Parrish. That is called "reading the defense".

786613[/snapback]

Which is what I said. There wasn't a progression to go through on that play which is what the original post was talking about, not making pre-snap reads. The QB has to make pre-snap reads on each and every play and depending on the look the D is giving him it can change the routes of WRs as well as who the primary WR is (at least in more complex offenses). The primary WR on that play, given what the D was showing, was Parrish. Who knows if he was the primary before the Jets showed blitz.

It was cool to see Crazy Joe on the TV yesterday!  I don't think he gets enough credit from Bills fans.  We was a very nice QB, and while, crazy (I still hate the red helmets), a good member of Bills history!

786628[/snapback]

Plus, Fergy doesn't like players who hold their heads up after making mistakes. He thinks it's showy.

I was listening to the Joe Dellamiellure (sp?) segment from today, archived on the WGR55 web site.  As the Bills honored the 1980 Bills team yesterday, many of the old players were at yesterdays' game for the festivities at half-time.  Joe D said that, during the game, Joe Ferguson made the observation that JP was locking on his first reciever too much.  He said that even when JP was running around to buy time, it was mostly to allow time for his first receiver time to get open, as opposed to scanning the field.  Joe D made the comment that you will rarely see his head turn...

I wasn't at the game, only saw it on tv.  You can't always see everything like that on the tube.  There were a few times, particularly late in the game, where I thouhgt Losman had McGahee and Peerless open for good yardage out in the flat, but opted to keep looking far down field...the results were mostly negative.

786559[/snapback]

I was at the game and the difference was the quaterbacking. Penningtom was smart, error free, and efficient. Losman had the better whells and the better arm .. he just needs time to learn.

At times JP did lock on, other times he looked at other recievers and made the plan. I did not notice a trend of locking on to one reciever.

On many plays the OL gave Losman a lot of time (I was surprised) and he could not find a reciever. Many times there were 4 in the pattern and no one was open. What I think they need to work on is getting open when the intial routes are over. I think the Bills recievers did a very poor job of coming back to the line of scrimage to help him out. Many times they stood out there covered. Call it chemistry or whatever but Coles and Pennington were always on the same page.

Which is what I said.  There wasn't a progression to go through on that play which is what the original post was talking about, not making pre-snap reads.  The QB has to make pre-snap reads on each and every play and depending on the look the D is giving him it can change the routes of WRs as well as who the primary WR is (at least in more complex offenses).  The primary WR on that play, given what the D was showing, was Parrish.  Who knows if he was the primary before the Jets showed blitz.

786630[/snapback]

One or two of the Bills in the post game spoke about it. I think one was Jauron, I will have to go back and listen again. Roscoe was not the first guy. They said that Losman anticipated and then made the correct read and throw as the blitz was happening. Teams show all kinds of looks but you don't know where the blitz is coming from until the ball is snapped.

My point was a lot of these "lock downs" are eliminated as the play is going on. Pennington didnt look off covered receivers either. He made the reads before and during the snap and got the ball to the correct guy almost immediately. It's only a problem if you have a primary receiver, you ignore the defense that will take away that primary receiver, you look that way and you force the ball to a guy who has little or no chance to catch it. Losman did not do that yesterday. I don't recall one play where he did.

You can't fault a guy for going through the defense at the line and as the play is going, look to a guy, think you can make the throw and then make it. That is what happened all day yesterday. Losman spoke a lot about it in his post game. he said he had no idea how many times he looked to Evans, he said I go to the open guy, whoever it is. That was evidenced by spreading the ball around, as well as not seeing him force throws while locking on a receiver. Tell more than one play where he did that in this game. I don't recall one.

I was listening to the Joe Dellamiellure (sp?) segment from today, archived on the WGR55 web site.  As the Bills honored the 1980 Bills team yesterday, many of the old players were at yesterdays' game for the festivities at half-time.  Joe D said that, during the game, Joe Ferguson made the observation that JP was locking on his first reciever too much.  He said that even when JP was running around to buy time, it was mostly to allow time for his first receiver time to get open, as opposed to scanning the field.  Joe D made the comment that you will rarely see his head turn...

I wasn't at the game, only saw it on tv.  You can't always see everything like that on the tube.  There were a few times, particularly late in the game, where I thouhgt Losman had McGahee and Peerless open for good yardage out in the flat, but opted to keep looking far down field...the results were mostly negative.

786559[/snapback]

For some reason I dont think Parrish is Losmans 1st option on more than 1 or 2 plays and yet Parrish had a nice game. So did Reed. So did Evans.

Counting plays in which there were penalties, Losman threw the ball 41 times.

9 to Peerless

4 to Parrish

13 to Evans

5 to Reed

7 to McGahee

1 to Royal

2 threw away OB

Take it for what it's worth. He did spread the ball around. Most of the McGahee throws were check downs. I don't think that either of the two long throws to Evans were always looking to Evans.

786579[/snapback]

I always watch the qb's to see where they're looking. Losman was definetly scanning the filed yesterday and this is proof. Fergy needs to get his eyes checked.

First off,  he had more yards in the second half yesterday.

Secondly,  could it be that the opposition coaches make better second half adjustments,  then our coaches?

Nah,  we'll just blame it all on JP.

I'm glad you're somewhat impressed with JP. 

I also love how you circle like a crow around a dead animal, every post that hammers him,  stirring the debate.

786605[/snapback]

Well, I wasn't "blaming it all on JP" as you imply, and I am not sure what you are talking about, in terms of circling "like a crow"...I have mostly stayed away from the board since the season has started, because, honestly, most threads end up being personal attacks, or just blind defending of one player (in this case JP Losman) or condemnation of another (see Willis McGahee, Kelly Holcomb, Drew Bledsoe, Travis Henry etc etc)...whatever, I am a Bills fan. It seems to some of you, you have to love or hate a player, or your an idiot! I wasn't trying to stir anything. My apologies. I merely thought the source of the observations was interesting.

I like JP, and I think he has been showing progress. I really like his personality, I think he is very bright, he just needs to put it all together on the field. He is getting closer. I am not sure what I said to piss you off, but I will lump you in with the "JP fanboys" who can't accept any criticism of his play. I only hope JP isn't as thin skinned as you! I have approached this season with low expectations, and have been enjoying, thus far (despite yesterdays' disappointing loss) what I have been seeing, in terms of real progress, particularly in JP.

So, maybe you don't care what Ferguson had to say. I thought it was interesting, but I am sorry I posted it. I hate to "stir the pot"...Bills fans seem to be negative enough as it is.

I have been critcal of him at times (mainly in his first stint as a starter last season), but have been mostly impressed by him since. I think he was a more raw talent than your typical first round QB draft pick, so I have never expected him to come out of the box, and be the "next Jim Kelly".

I always watch the qb's to see where they're looking.  Losman was definetly scanning the filed yesterday and this is proof.  Fergy needs to get his eyes checked.

786663[/snapback]

Okay, whatever, the fanboys win...Losman played a near flawless game yesterday, the reasons for losing all lie solely at the feet of the wide recievers, Willis McGahee, the offensive line, and the coaching staff...I think I got it Mr Rove...

.... I have been critcal of him at times (mainly in his first stint as a starter last season), but have been mostly impressed by him since.  I think he was a more raw talent than your typical first round QB draft pick, so I have never expected him to come out of the box, and be the "next Jim Kelly".

786684[/snapback]

Who the heck is calling JP the next Jim Kelly? JP is not HOF material, but why does every QB need to be? Big Ben does not seem destined for Canton, but he could lead Pittsburgh to another Super Bowl. For what it is worth, this is the first year JP gets to be the starter. Last years coaching staff jerked him around and made him play square peg in round hole. This is going to be a year where the lumps are felt such as last Sunday. After this season we will know if JP has the mental toughness to be a pro QB. He might not, but as fans, I do not think finding his best qualities and hoping the rest comes around is such a bad thing.

Who the heck is calling JP the next Jim Kelly?  JP is not HOF material, but why does every QB need to be?  Big Ben does not seem destined for Canton, but he could lead Pittsburgh to another Super Bowl.  For what it is worth, this is the first year JP gets to be the starter.  Last years coaching staff jerked him around and made him play square peg in round hole.  This is going to be a year where the lumps are felt such as last Sunday.  After this season we will know if JP has the mental toughness to be a pro QB.  He might not, but as fans, I do not think finding his best qualities and hoping the rest comes around is such a bad thing.

786705[/snapback]

Wow, misinterperate stuff a little?

Tex - I agree. The fanboy stuff is mind-boggling to me, but the more you argue the more stubborn they get.

Okay, whatever, the fanboys win...Losman played a near flawless game yesterday, the reasons for losing all lie solely at the feet of the wide recievers, Willis McGahee, the offensive line, and the coaching staff...I think I got it Mr Rove...

786701[/snapback]

Don't forget those lousy Democrats!

:D

786701[/snapback]

Where the hell does that come from? The guy simply said he watched the QB and he looked across the field. How do you stretch that into implying he or anyone else thought he played a near flawless game? This thread didnt even have anything to do with winning or losing, playing well or playing lousy. Only whether he locked in on receivers or not.