Joe D comments on Fergy's analysis

Buftex

Fergy sucked. JP looks a lot better now in his 3rd year (after starting only a few games) than Fergy looked in his 3rd year, that's for damn sure. :doh:

787103[/snapback]

Uh...okay...mommy is calling you for dinner...if you eat all your veggies, you can stay up past sundown and watch "Three's Company" on Nickelodian... :D

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh...okay...mommy is calling you for dinner...if you eat all your veggies, you can stay up past sundown and watch "Three's Company" on Nickelodian... :D

787177[/snapback]

Fergy still sucked! Put JP behind the Electric Company with OJ & those receivers, and you would've seen more than 1 measly playoff game against the Squeelers AND the Felons wouldn't have gone 20-0 against the Bills in the 70's. JP is no Marangi. :doh:

Joe Ferguson was a good QB for the Bills. He also played on some pretty awful teams. I would be pretty happy if JP is able to have the kind of long term career with the Bills that Fergy had.

It is funny how some of the people on this board parrot the old Larry Felser fixation about Fergy hanging his head. It kind of reminds me of the comments that some of our more "brilliant" posters made about Wade not wearing a head set.

Joe Ferguson was a good QB for the Bills.  He also played on some pretty awful teams.  I would be pretty happy if JP is able to have the kind of long term career with the Bills that Fergy had.

It is funny how some of the people on this board parrot the old Larry Felser fixation about Fergy hanging his head.  It kind of reminds me of the comments that some of our more "brilliant" posters made about Wade not wearing a head set.

787234[/snapback]

Not really apples-to-apples though.... Wade not wearing a headset gave no true indication that he was a loser.

Not really apples-to-apples though.... Wade not wearing a headset gave no true indication that he was a loser.

787239[/snapback]

I believe you are talking referring to the coach with the best winning percentage in Buffalo Bills history as a "loser."

Joe Ferguson was a good QB for the Bills.  He also played on some pretty awful teams.  I would be pretty happy if JP is able to have the kind of long term career with the Bills that Fergy had.

It is funny how some of the people on this board parrot the old Larry Felser fixation about Fergy hanging his head.  It kind of reminds me of the comments that some of our more "brilliant" posters made about Wade not wearing a head set.

787234[/snapback]

Totally different situation and IMO a bad analogy. The Wade headset thing really had little to do with what went on on the field. It was a choice in how he wanted to communicate. Fergy's head hanging IMO affected his play. He could have been and should have been much better than he was. He had some decent years but he never really came through. One year, the team's best, he got hurt at the end so that wasn't his fault. And I think he was tough as hell as far as withstanding pain and playing. But when he got down on himself I think it led to his game spiraling similarly.

Fergy is also not the greatest Bills fan. There was what I consider to be a legitimate report (Kelly himself) that Fergy advised Kelly perhaps not to sign with the Bills because the weather would take a couple years off his career. Fergy, of course, played QB in the league until he was over 40 years old.

I believe you are talking referring to the coach with the best winning percentage in Buffalo Bills history as a "loser."

787246[/snapback]

No, I'm really referring to Fergy as a loser, which he was. Nowhere on the scale of being a loser like Drew, but a loser none-the-less.

Fergy is also not the greatest Bills fan. There was what I consider to be a legitimate report (Kelly himself) that Fergy advised Kelly perhaps not to sign with the Bills because the weather would take a couple years off his career. Fergy, of course, played QB in the league until he was over 40 years old.

787248[/snapback]

Okay, now you're digging...Fergy is not a Bills fan...I ask again Kelly, when did you jump the shark? :D

No, I'm really referring to Fergy as a loser, which he was.

787254[/snapback]

Another analogy: Referring to Fergy as a loser is like the Flutopians giving Flutie all the credit for every win the Bills had when he played.

No, he became the hot receiver because of the blitz. Losman read it and parrish made the change in the route and it was a TD. If he went to the primary receiver of the play call, it would not have been Parrish. That is called "reading the defense".

786613[/snapback]

Are you kidding me? It was a freaking flanker screen. that's a designed play. He didn't go through his read, that's the primary read on that play...wow...football iq please.

Okay, now you're digging...Fergy is not a Bills fan...I ask again Kelly, when did you jump the shark? :P

787258[/snapback]

I said greatest Bills fan. I always resented him when I read that story. There are times when I am a grudgekeeper, and usually when it comes to affecting the Bills. I read that a long time ago, although it was years after Kelly had been on the team. He said that he spoke with Fergy who told him the weather would affect his career. Which was total bullschit of course, because Fergy played for 17 seasons, including up until he was 41.

Another analogy: Referring to Fergy as a loser is like the Flutopians giving Flutie all the credit for every win the Bills had when he played.

787260[/snapback]

Fergy still sucked! Put Flutie behind the Electric Company with OJ & those receivers, and you would've seen more than 1 measly playoff game against the Squeelers AND the Felons wouldn't have gone 20-0 against the Bills in the 70's. Flutie is no Marangi. :P

Are you kidding me? It was a freaking flanker screen. that's a designed play. He didn't go through his read, that's the primary read on that play...wow...football iq please.

787265[/snapback]

Well you're both kind of right.

"We saw the guys blitzing, so my role in the offense is make the right read and adjust [my route]," Parrish said of his touchdown. "We made the right read, J.P. made the right throw and it so happens to be a big play for a touchdown. When I turned around I saw no one in front of me. I just gave it all I got to the touchdown."

Felons wouldn't have gone 20-0 against the Bills in the 70's.

787268[/snapback]

You seriously are singling out Fergy for our dismal record agains the Dolphins in the 70's?!?

Funny though how you do not mention what he did when we finally beat the Dolphins for the first time in the Orange Bowl in 1983 for the first time since the 1960's.

I'd have to look it up, but I'd bet he had a whole lot more to do with the 16 losses than the 26 wins (see Drew 2004).

787270[/snapback]

Again he wasn't there to win games. Neither is JP. Right now JP cannot win a game for us, he is just a caretaker at this point in his career. He was raw, and questionable if he could ever really play. He has had terrible coaching, and even this week some questionable coaching.

Fergy did what he needed to in that offense, and that was to manage the game, hand off to OJ and not lose.

787265[/snapback]

How many flanker screens are caught ten yards downfield? You see, there is a subtle difference between your interpretation of the play and mine. I based my observation after watching the play, and listening to Losman talk about it in the post game conference, where he specifically referred to Parrish as "the hot read" because of the blitz that happened after the ball was snapped. You based your interpretation on talking out of your ass.