Joe D comments on Fergy's analysis

Buftex

I was listening to the Joe Dellamiellure (sp?) segment from today, archived on the WGR55 web site. As the Bills honored the 1980 Bills team yesterday, many of the old players were at yesterdays' game for the festivities at half-time. Joe D said that, during the game, Joe Ferguson made the observation that JP was locking on his first reciever too much. He said that even when JP was running around to buy time, it was mostly to allow time for his first receiver time to get open, as opposed to scanning the field. Joe D made the comment that you will rarely see his head turn...

I wasn't at the game, only saw it on tv. You can't always see everything like that on the tube. There were a few times, particularly late in the game, where I thouhgt Losman had McGahee and Peerless open for good yardage out in the flat, but opted to keep looking far down field...the results were mostly negative.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to the Joe Dellamiellure (sp?) segment from today, archived on the WGR55 web site.  As the Bills honored the 1980 Bills team yesterday, many of the old players were at yesterdays' game for the festivities at half-time.  Joe D said that, during the game, Joe Ferguson made the observation that JP was locking on his first reciever too much.  He said that even when JP was running around to buy time, it was mostly to allow time for his first receiver time to get open, as opposed to scanning the field.  Joe D made the comment that you will rarely see his head turn...

I wasn't at the game, only saw it on tv.  You can't always see everything like that on the tube.  There were a few times, particularly late in the game, where I thouhgt Losman had McGahee and Peerless open for good yardage out in the flat, but opted to keep looking far down field...the results were mostly negative.

786559[/snapback]

Yup. I saw that too. One where he had a screen available, wide open. He did not look 5 degrees to the left and instead threw it to Evans(?) downfield in double coverage. Completed the pass, but sh--, man!

Despite the bigger stats, I would say (the second half especially) this week's game was a slight regression in terms of JP seeing the field and playing smart rather than relying wholly on his arm.

Counting plays in which there were penalties, Losman threw the ball 41 times.

9 to Peerless

4 to Parrish

13 to Evans

5 to Reed

7 to McGahee

1 to Royal

2 threw away OB

Take it for what it's worth. He did spread the ball around. Most of the McGahee throws were check downs. I don't think that either of the two long throws to Evans were always looking to Evans.

There must've been a half dozen plays where he had time to eat his lunch and couldn't find anyone open. It's damn near impossible to tell on TV whether or not a QB is going thru his progression but if he was and there was really nobody open on some of those plays, either our WR's are really awful or the Jets secondary is phenominal.

For the love of God, please email Dick Jauron with your findings.

786583[/snapback]

Actually, I just found the comments interesting, because they were coming from an experienced NFL QB, and an experienced coach, and were made away from the microphones. Just some insight into what kind of progress Losman seems to be making in his development.

FWIW, I also heard Ferguson, last week, say that he thought Losman had plenty of talent to succeed. I assume that Ferguson might be able to tell, better than the avarge Bills fan, what Losman is seeing.

Personally, I like what I am seeing, for the most part, from Losman.

There must've been a half dozen plays where he had time to eat his lunch and couldn't find anyone open.  It's damn near impossible to tell on TV whether or not a QB is going thru his progression but if he was and there was really nobody open on some of those plays, either our WR's are really awful or the Jets secondary is phenominal.

786586[/snapback]

Maybe I relayed the essence of what Ferguson was saying, unclearly. What he seemed to be saying was, although Losman was getting time, and was also creating time with his feet, he wasn't really using that extra time to see the whole field, merely waiting until his pre-determined receiver was open. Maybe there were guys open, but not the "right guy" for JP?

What does that mean?

Sure he spread the ball around, but its obvious JP's problem is he knows who hes going to before he even takes the snap.

786591[/snapback]

Which may explain why he performs so well on opening drives, but tends to decline as the game goes on, and the defense has time to observe and adjust.

What does that mean?

Sure he spread the ball around, but its obvious JP's problem is he knows who hes going to before he even takes the snap.

786591[/snapback]

It means a lot of things. It means the two deep passes to Evans were not locking on a receiver. It means the 4-5 checkdowns to Willis were not locking on a receiver. It means that a lot of the "reads" people talk about are actually read at the LOS and as soon as the ball is snapped, for example, the TD to Parrish, who wasn't the primary receiver on the play at all but the Jets did something at the snap, Losman made the read and threw immediately to the hot receiver, which went for a TD. You get a lot of distribution when that happens and your quarterback is making his reads on the go.

Outside of the ill-advised Evans INT there were many or even any passes I can remember where he locked on aguy who wasnt open and then forced it into obvious double coverage where it was a mistake. There may have been one but I can't recall it off hand.

Which may explain why he performs so well on opening drives, but tends to decline as the game goes on, and the defense has time to observe and adjust.

786597[/snapback]

First off, he had more yards in the second half yesterday.

Secondly, could it be that the opposition coaches make better second half adjustments, then our coaches?

Nah, we'll just blame it all on JP.

I'm glad you're somewhat impressed with JP.

I also love how you circle like a crow around a dead animal, every post that hammers him, stirring the debate.

I just can't imagine that a QB can complete 60% of his passes and throw 1 INT in three games when he doesn't do anything but look down his primary WR. I would also imagine that Evans would have way more receptions if this were the case.

They REALLY like the Joe D on that afternoon show... but I dunno'. They like it simple.

Losing with all the good things that happened confused the hell out of me. Losman staying alive and looking downfield doesn't even qualify as a convenient excuse. That is not a step backwards if the Bills aspire to play some aggressive 'ball.

Actually I'm pretty sure that Parrish was the primary WR with the blitz that was coming.

786609[/snapback]

No, he became the hot receiver because of the blitz. Losman read it and parrish made the change in the route and it was a TD. If he went to the primary receiver of the play call, it would not have been Parrish. That is called "reading the defense".

WTF?! How is this even an issue?!

Losman completed 22 of 38 pass attempts for 328 yards, 1 interception, 1 passing touchdown, and 1 rushing touchdown.

Losman's error's came on unblocked safety blitzes. What on earth does that have to do with locking on to receivers?

This is like being critical of the paint job on the Titantic (IT AIN'T THE ISSUE).

First off,  he had more yards in the second half yesterday.

Secondly,  could it be that the opposition coaches make better second half adjustments,  then our coaches?

Nah,  we'll just blame it all on JP.

786605[/snapback]

What's the common denominator between this year and last: the coaches or the QB?

Joe D. is no fan of JP.

I'd love to here what he says about him when the mic's are turned off.

In fact, Joe D. was great the first day he was on, but it's gonna be 13 more weeks of the same thing with this guy.

It's like listening to the Bulldog, gets old fast.

What does that mean?

786591[/snapback]

holy crap. it IS obvious. how did we miss it? i called marv to tell him to tell coach jauron that i heard from bufftex that he heard joe d say that he overheard joe ferguson say that he saw that jp losman was locking on one receiver. marv wasn't in, so i told his secretary to tell him what i heard from someone who heard it on the radio from joe d who overheard it first hand. i'm hoping marv calls back when i'm here, because i'm not sure my wife can retell the story as accurately as i can.

game three of losman 2006. he made mistakes yesterday (i think carson palmer tossed and that big german kid in pittsburgh tossed three picks each yesterday), but showed promise as well. i vote for seeing it through. if any of you guys see marv or coach j, please tell them i said so.