Peter King update on Whitner pick

syhuang

Sorry if it has been posted.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cnns...cnnsi&type=lgns

I GOT A LOT OF BILLS MAIL THIS WEEK. From Jay of Buffalo: "Welcome aboard the Bills bandwagon. Happy to have you. The biggest story from Buffalo is Marv Levy. Here is a guy that got hammered on draft day for picking players too high. Well, they started five rookies on a defense that was ranked in the bottom five last year and have been very good so far. Can you give Marv some credit for knowing football?''

Absolutely. Levy deserves it. My only problem with not trading down to get Donte Whitner on draft day is that the Bills could have dealt down and picked up an extra second-round pick (or third) and still almost certainly have gotten the guy. I remember calling around after the draft, and no one between picks Nos. 8 and 15 was going to take him. And Buffalo had an opportunity to move to 15. But that's over. I think the Bills, obviously, picked the right people on draft day. Talking to the departed Troy Vincent last week, he loves Whitner and thinks he's going to be good for a long time.

======================================

Didn't Witner say something about Ravens were very interested in drafting him? Did King really call Lions?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Witner say something about Ravens were very interested in drafting him? Did King really call Lions?

779534[/snapback]

And who is to say, the Dolphins might not have traded up a few spots to get a healthy Whitner rather than a injured safety.

Bottom line is, there is no one to believe on Draft day and there are just too many smoke screens by the mgmt. There was no guarantee that Whitner would have

been available at 15.

And who is to say, the Dolphins might not have traded up a few spots to get a healthy Whitner rather than a injured safety.

Bottom line is, there is no one to believe on Draft day and there are just too many smoke screens by the mgmt. There was no guarantee that Whitner would have

been available at 15.

779538[/snapback]

Exactly. Rumor has it that the Giants traded down because they "new" they could get McCargo later in the round.

You never know what's going to happen on draft day. Always take the guy you want when you can get him.

been available at 15.

779538[/snapback]

Now why would they do that when they could draft the almighty Jason Allen. By the way, did he play on Sunday? I didn't hear his name called once.

Sorry if it has been posted.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cnns...cnnsi&type=lgns

My only problem with not trading down to get Donte Whitner on draft day is that the Bills could have dealt down and picked up an extra second-round pick (or third) and still almost certainly have gotten the guy.]

779534[/snapback]

See what the tool King says here? Almost certainly. Almost certainly the San Diego Padres had the game won last night, but the the Dodgers hit 4 HR's in a row to tie the game and the Dodgers won. The Steelers almost certinely had a TD against Indy when Bettis fumbled last year.

I hope you get the point

King's criticism is still valid.  If he is right about no one taking him, then he is right the Bills' should have traded down.  That is what he said all along.  I don't think he ever called Whitner a bad player.

779542[/snapback]

wait a second. after the draft, the teams drafting after the bills may have told them this, but do you think they told this to the bills on draft day? come on. marv didn't want to risk it so he went after the player he thought was the best choice. that's *always* a sensible strategy.

wait a second. after the draft, the teams drafting after the bills may have told them this, but do you think they told this to the bills on draft day? come on. marv didn't want to risk it so he went after the player he thought was the best choice. that's *always* a sensible strategy.

779550[/snapback]

exactly...that's who they wanted, that's who they got. Why take a chance? The draft is a crap shoot as it it...

peter king should know better than to think that teams are going to tell him the truth about who they would have taken. It makes them look bad, and it makes their draft pick look like a consolation prize. Nobody tells the truth on draft day.

take the dolphins for example. word around the draft was that saban was in love with whitner. the fact that saban ended up taking an injured safety who scored poorly on the wonderlic and who might have a chronically bad hip suggests that he was really thinking safety there. If whitner was there, there's no doubt that the dolphins would have taken him. And because the Lions run a version of the Tampa 2, and because Whitner was the consensus #1 DB for that particular defensive approach, it stands to reason that Ernie Sims was #2 on their draft board.

779550[/snapback]

Not told the Bills, told King. And I don't think it's olny what they told him after the draft. They also talked to him beforehand.

This point has been beaten to death, but it all comes down to whether or not there was a risk.

peter king should know better than to think that teams are going to tell him the truth about who they would have taken. It makes them look bad, and it makes their draft pick look like a consolation prize. Nobody tells the truth on draft day.

779567[/snapback]

So true. Plus, he makes it sound like anyone can just pick up the phone on draft day and find out what the other teams are doing. I mean, why didn't MARV call everyone to see the status of Whitner? I mean, it's so easy. King did it. Clearly, anyone can do it.

King peaked with his cameo in "The Longest Yard" and should have retired shortly thereafter.

Always take the guy you want when you can get him.

779541[/snapback]

Exactly, quality over quantity. I'd rather the Bills have 5 or 6 guys they really want than 7 or 8 guys they think might be OK.

These draft gurus are wrong as often as they're right. And when they are wrong, they always have an excuse. Players who were a "reach" that pan out either could have been taken later or teams could have traded down. Players that bust were ranked high based on the information at the time.

Whenever I feel bad about being a Bills fan, I always think of the mess in Detroit.

779544[/snapback]

I never ever ever, feel bad about being a Bills fan and neither should you.

And I'd also like to add an F U to TD while I'm thinking about it.