That Fourth Down Decision

DeLuca1967

Well, I thought they should have kicked field goal at the time, but now that I look back, it probably wouldn't have mattered. But, if they did get the first down and scored a TD, the Bills probably would have won. So it was probably a good decision. The penalties were not outragous, and some of them were just bad calls.

I like the decision to go for it.

I really don't like the play they went with. They needed less than a yard. Push the ball STRAIGHT FORWARD. The whole play should be over with in less than one second. Instead we had McGahee doing studder steps two yards behind the line of scrimmage before he finally decided to fall forward (and he was short).

I believe that coaching cost this game for the Bills. Going for it on 4th and 1 and running the 1 play that hasn't worked all day was a horrid decision.

If it was between kicking the field goal and running Willis up the gut I would have taken the field goal.

It's as if Jauron didn't realize that you CANNOT let momentum swing one bit the way of the Patriots.

BB siezed the opportunity and won the game.

I have other points but this was the play call that stands out the most.

You want to keep the ball, get a touch instead of trying for 3. If we went up by 17 at that point, it would have been a totally different game. Had we kicked the field goal, the Patriots probably would have won anyway, IMO.

767563[/snapback]

I completely disagree. Not converting that 4th down led to a huge momentum swing which could have been stifled if 3 had been put up on the board.

Horrible call.

I also had no problem with it.

767587[/snapback]

Well...If we took the field goal the score right now would be 20-19...Bills win. You always take the points on the road...we were up 10 for god sakes...Up 13 would have been real nice.

My Bro is a Lions fan and hated Juron. Our defense was exactly how he described it wouold be under Juron.....Bend but don't break. ANd it cost us the game and so did the decision to go for it on 4th down.

Well...If we took the field goal the score right now would be 20-19...Bills win. You always take the points on the road...we were up 10 for god sakes...Up 13 would have been real nice.

My Bro is a Lions fan and hated Juron.  Our defense was exactly how he described it wouold be under Juron.....Bend but don't break. ANd it cost us the game and so did the decision to go for it on 4th down.

767617[/snapback]

Yeah NE would've knelt on the ball late also right?

I really don't like the play they went with.  They needed less than a yard.  Push the ball STRAIGHT FORWARD.  The whole play should be over with in less than one second.  Instead we had McGahee doing studder steps two yards behind the line of scrimmage before he finally decided to fall forward (and he was short).

767603[/snapback]

Could not agree more...especially compared to the Pats on their short yardage plays...get up to the line quick, snap it quick, straight ahead and first down.

We learned some big lessons today, lots to build on in that game...I'm encouraged.

I completely disagree.  Not converting that 4th down led to a huge momentum swing which could have been stifled if 3 had been put up on the board.

Horrible call.

767616[/snapback]

In retrospect you are correct however teh game isn't played that way. You could go either way on this and rember the defense was pretty shutting them down at that point.

767617[/snapback]

No, the Patriots were moving the ball at will late in the game. I think they would have scored again. I think Juron wanted to go for the throat, he understood we needed points to win becauise Tom Brady was on the other side.

I believe that coaching cost this game for the Bills.  Going for it on 4th and 1 and running the 1 play that hasn't worked all day was a horrid decision.

If it was between kicking the field goal and running Willis up the gut I would have taken the field goal.

It's as if Jauron didn't realize that you CANNOT let momentum swing one bit the way of the Patriots.

767606[/snapback]

Kick that field goal, the Bills lose 22-20. What's the difference? I'm okay with the call. McGahee was running well. Jauron was showing confidence in his players. That was a $h!tty spot too. You can't beat the Pats and the refs on the same day.

PTR

You want to keep the ball, get a touch instead of trying for 3. If we went up by 17 at that point, it would have been a totally different game. Had we kicked the field goal, the Patriots probably would have won anyway, IMO.

767563[/snapback]

I wanted the points but going for it at that end of the field is ok in my book. It's just that the D gave it away in the end.

IT WAS A GREAT CALL!

IT WAS THE RIGHT CALL!

You make it and score the TD, the game is over.  PERIOD.  You go for the win when you have the chance.

767650[/snapback]

Okay Sven but that didn't happen did it?

Buffalo could have had the win if they kicked the damn field goal.

Great call? Right call?

GEEEEEE, when I look at the scoreboard it doesn't look too right seeing as how the Bills would have had 20 if they kicked.

No, the Patriots were moving the ball at will late in the game. I think they would have scored again. I think Juron wanted to go for the throat, he understood we needed points to win becauise the Refs were on the other side.

767642[/snapback]

corrected for you

I believe that coaching cost this game for the Bills.  Going for it on 4th and 1 and running the 1 play that hasn't worked all day was a horrid decision.

767606[/snapback]

Thats total B.S. because we got the 1st down the spot was very BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys, if Willis gained that extra yard and the Bills scored on TD on that drive, it would have pretty much sealed the game. The Bills have always missed that killer instinct. Belichick always goes for it on 4th down, so does Parcells. I loved the call to go for it, but I would have done a QB sneak or A-Train up the middle.

It would have been a great call if the line had actually blocked on the play. Compare the way our line blocked on fourth down and how the Pats blocked.

We never had a chance. The Pats had great penetration on the play.

McGahee tiptoed the whole second half so it doesn't matter...

767631[/snapback]

Yup, which is why I don't like him for third and expecially fourth and short. If you're going to run off tackle, give it to A-train. He knows how to get a freakin' yard when you need it.

But I would have quick count QB sneaked it, ala the Pats.

I completely disagree.  Not converting that 4th down led to a huge momentum swing which could have been stifled if 3 had been put up on the board.

Horrible call.

767616[/snapback]

Yeah, if they new ahead of time that they werent going to convert......then they probably wouldnt have done it. However, I like the call. Try to put the game away while you have momentum. I cant complain when I was sitting here screaming at my TV for them to go for it. Im not going to be one of those hindsight is 20/20 fans. My emotions as a fan said go for it...........so even though the outcome sucked....its hard for me to criticize.

Okay Sven but that didn't happen did it?

Buffalo could have had the win if they kicked the damn field goal.

Great call?  Right call?

GEEEEEE, when I look at the scoreboard it doesn't look too right seeing as how the Bills would have had 20 if they kicked.

767675[/snapback]

Hey ding dong, you can't look at the final score and just add three. DO you honestly think the PAts would have kneeled down in field goal range at the end of the game if they were down by one? :rolleyes:

I really don't like the play they went with.  They needed less than a yard.  Push the ball STRAIGHT FORWARD.  The whole play should be over with in less than one second.  Instead we had McGahee doing studder steps two yards behind the line of scrimmage before he finally decided to fall forward (and he was short).

767603[/snapback]

Yep, I agree totally. We need a guy like good ol' Roosevelt Leaks, who always seemed to be able to bull forward for whatever short yards were needed.

Guys, if Willis gained that extra yard and the Bills scored on TD on that drive, it would have pretty much sealed the game.  The Bills have always missed that killer instinct.  Belichick always goes for it on 4th down, so does Parcells.  I loved the call to go for it, but I would have done a QB sneak or A-Train up the middle.

767695[/snapback]

Coudn't have said it better myself, though I have said it!

Before anyone accuses me of hindsight, I am on record for not liking Mularkey's 4th&2 conversion vs. Houston last year which worked, but would've given them a ton of momentum; especially after Carr scored on the previous possession.

I dunno I understand wanting to go up by 17 but to me it was too early to think about # of possessions needed. You have the crowd shellshocked on the road with a ton of time left in the 3rd qtr I just think you need points.

I didn't really agree with Bellicheck's 4&2 at the end either and was happy they went for it. If they had taken 3 and went up by 5 the game was still about over the way our offense was playing....if God forbid our defense makes a stop we have a legitimate chance.

Coaching not withstanding t the end of the day we got owned in the trenches on 4th&short on both sides and that's the difference.

it was the right call - costly injuries and ?able calls were what did the Bills in - Willis did tip toe, trying for the stop then change of direction instead of the four hard yards - would've like to have seen Thomas again - hard runner, going to hit the hole no matter what and get the yards the line gives you - well, that was a tough one to take - man, I hope that Takeo is all right - see you all next week

767603[/snapback]

Watch the replay willis headed up the middle but its was already blown up and he took it outside to the right, further more he got the 1st down the spot was very very bad plan and simple .......

Completely wrong call given that this is a rebuilding team needing confidence. You take what is given to you on the ROAD. So for those of you who state it puts us up by 17, great, but we lost 19-17 and that field goal makes it 20-7. I like my chances better with that.

The bottomline is, we don't have that confidence and sometimes conservative decisions can give your team as much confidence as bold ones. In this case, Jauron failed his team, plain and simple. The Patriots for for 4th and 1 every time because they'll make it or overcome not making it, the Bills aren't there yet.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. You get a good game from your QB (mistake free on the road) and a good effort from your defense (although the line is worrisome) and coaching, the people suppposed to put players in the position to win, cost you the game.

This team can't overcome bad decisions from the coaches.

Watch the replay willis headed up the middle but its was already blown up and he took it outside to the right, further more he got the 1st down the spot was very very bad plan and simple .......

767730[/snapback]

1. His knee was down, he didn't get that 1st down.

2. QB sneak is almost always good for half a yard. Snap the ball and go forward.