Pats cut fast Freddy!!!!!!!!!!

Eric/Hawaii

you don't like me? Oh woe is me! You don't like people who express opposing ideas? man that hurts. who says he is out of football, there are 28(?) other options for him. Is this against any rules? I don't get it? Of course I am also a yankee fan and people say that steinbrenner is a cheater because he has deep pockets and is willing to spend the money to try to put a championship team on the field year in year out! Jealousy is an ugly "emotion". I would be upset if our personnel didn't do everything within their means to gain an edge on our opponents,and I hope you would be too!

I've always felt I disliked you for something other than your Deliverance avatar.

Now you're reminding me.

Give you a break? Strategy? And if he is now out of football, is that cool by you?

Yea we cut him so we shouldn't care. But he signed him and intended to cut him and now he won't catch on anywhere. Maybe someone else with better intentions was willing to give the guy a shot.

Then again maybe you're right and I'm just being stupid about it.

766096[/snapback]

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you don't like me?  Oh woe is me! 

Of course I am also a yankee fan

I would be upset if our personnel didn't do everything within their means to gain an edge on our opponents,and I hope you would be too!

766098[/snapback]

That's it! You're a Yankee fan :o

You are correct that I would be upset if we didn't do everything within our means to win. But and I say this espescially with Marv talking about character guys now, if we need a running back should we go get Clarett?

character and 1.89 will get you a grande at starbucks, and if clarett was a 2000 yard gainer and wasn't currently under arraignment then by all means give him a chance. but if it was discovered that he could not control himself and stay out of trouble then of course not, but this apples and oranges, and speaking of oranges!!!!! GO ORANGE!!!!!!!! FIRST AND GOAL IN OT!!!!!!!!!!!

and yes I am a proud life long yankee fan!!!! :o

That's it! You're a Yankee fan  ;)

You are correct that I would be upset if we didn't do everything within our means to win. But and I say this espescially with Marv talking about character guys now, if we need a running back should we go get Clarett?

766101[/snapback]

Does anyone have any confirmation of Smith getting cut other than Chris Brown's story?

I'm getting suspicious since I haven't found a transaction involving Smith getting cut from the Patriots anywhere on the net with the exception of people who read Brown.

We can hold out hope that Freddie saw it coming and told him things like...

Bills will run the single wing

766077[/snapback]

Marv's only the General Manager... but maybe Belichick will overthink it. :o

It's sleazy that he thought of it first, but I'd happily bring in a cut from New England and Miami to grill for a few days before the season started, and letting them go afterwards. Now, it's in poor faith if you don't make it clear, but if you lay it on the line for the player, and he signs the contract, then that's a good deal.

If Belichick told Freddie he'd play, and then cut him, then he should grieve it.

It's sleazy that he thought of it first, but I'd happily bring in a cut from New England and Miami to grill for a few days before the season started, and letting them go afterwards.  Now, it's in poor faith if you don't make it clear, but if you lay it on the line for the player, and he signs the contract, then that's a good deal.

If Belichick told Freddie he'd play, and then cut him, then he should grieve it.

The Bills could have picked-up ANY of the Patriots' castoffs, but they didn't. I guess Bill was just more desperate.

I say if B. did lead Freddy to believe he wanted him on the team, signed him only to pump him for info, it's sleazy no matter if it's within the rules.

And it depresses me to think how many people are just fine with it. Someone once said, in another context, that "Society only works when people do more than the law requires and less than it allows." Yet the country is full of people who think that's a loser's attitude. It makes the U.S. an uglier place to live. No wonder we're on the skids, heading for the third world.

Pardon my editorial comment.

Does anyone have any confirmation of Smith getting cut other than Chris Brown's story? 

I'm getting suspicious since I haven't found a transaction involving Smith getting cut from the Patriots anywhere on the net with the exception of people who read Brown.

766111[/snapback]

The guy works for the Bills official web site. This isn't an opinion. He's stating it as a fact. There is almost no chance that it isn't true. I'm sure the Bills organization gets official word from the league or has access to league wide information first. It was probably just word of mouth around the team after they heard about it officially.

He said in the article "according to the NFL transactions wire" which I assume the teams get before the public, for putting in waiver claims and such.

As far as the Bills are concerned, yeah it was sneaky move, but teams and coaches tend to do whatever it takes. If there is anyone who was truly wronged in this, it was Jonathon Smith. I'll bet he was paid very little for his time with the Patriots. There is at least a chance that had not NE signed him, another team in the league might have signed him. When NE took him off the market, that other mystery team (if there was one) may have gone another direction, leaving Fast Freddie without a job. If I were Smith, I would be mad enough to file a grievance with the union. It's basically about unfair labor practices.

Just thinking of it from Smith's point of view...what was he supposed to do, anyway? A team signs him off waivers, he goes to that team. Same team cuts him six days later...he leaves. Belichick - or any franchise, frankly - doesn't have any obligation to any player, really...and a player like Fast Freddie isn't going to get a Rosenhaus-type agent to look out for his interests.

What in the NFL's system forbids Belichick from doing this? Some gentlemen's agreement that he won't be a bad, bad boy and treat players like disposable assets? Even though the system's designed to treat players like disposable assets? :o

Just thinking of it from Smith's point of view...what was he supposed to do, anyway?  A team signs him off waivers, he goes to that team.  Same team cuts him six days later...he leaves.  Belichick - or any franchise, frankly - doesn't have any obligation to any player, really...and a player like Fast Freddie isn't going to get a Rosenhaus-type agent to look out for his interests. 

What in the NFL's system forbids Belichick from doing this?  Some gentlemen's agreement that he won't be a bad, bad boy and treat players like disposable assets?  Even though the system's designed to treat players like disposable assets?  :o

766140[/snapback]

Smith was in not a totally unique situation but a precarious one. He had made an NFL roster two years in a row. He is a bona fide return man, averaging 13 yards a PR, which is huge. He has scored a TD on a return and as a receiver in real games on spectacular plays. He's a versatile player who can run, throw, catch and return. There was very likely a team or teams out there that would sign him or at least give him a legitimate look. A lot of teams need returners. Now, he is fukked. His career could well be over because there is a LOT less likely chance someone is going to put him on their active roster now without even trying him out after being cut twice on the eve of the season, and he is not eligible for PS. He could catch on in a few weeks after some tryouts or injuries but he's in a much, much worse position now than last week.

If the Pats led him on thinking he would have a legitimate shot, it's easy to imagine he would have chosen them over all other teams. They have no clear returner and they are woefully short of WRs right now.

I say if B. did lead Freddy to believe he wanted him on the team, signed him only to pump him for info, it's sleazy no matter if it's within the rules.

And it depresses me to think how many people are just fine with it. Someone once said, in another context, that "Society only works when people do more than the law requires and less than it allows."  Yet the country is full of people who think that's a loser's attitude.  It makes the U.S. an uglier place to live. No wonder we're on the skids, heading for the third world.

Pardon my editorial comment.

766131[/snapback]

Oh boy...this ain't politics (or golf--the gentlemen's game); it's friggin football! Kudos to maybe the most intelligent coach in the NFL for using whatever "legal" means necessary to win.

Oh boy...this ain't politics (or golf--the gentlemen's game); it's friggin football! Kudos to maybe the most intelligent coach in the NFL for using whatever "legal" means necessary to win.

766174[/snapback]

[/quote

I rest my case.

The question now is: did Smith get a hold of the Patriots playbook before getting cut (assuming it's the "real" one :o )?

Because if I were Smith, and I had that playbook, I'd be calling up Jauron now and getting even with Belichick. The Bills may have cut Smith as well, but at least they did it with dignity.

PS: Belichick is a d-bag off the football field as well. Messing with some other man's wife? Remember that little offseason news clip? I hope the guy dies of terminal cancer real !@#$ing soon.

The question now is: did Smith get a hold of the Patriots playbook before getting cut (assuming it's the "real" one  :o )?

Because if I were Smith, and I had that playbook, I'd be calling up Jauron now and getting even with Belichick. The Bills may have cut Smith as well, but at least they did it with dignity.

PS: Belichick is a d-bag off the football field as well. Messing with some other man's wife? Remember that little offseason news clip? I hope the guy dies of terminal cancer real !@#$ing soon.

766180[/snapback]

FF: Hey coach when do I get my playbook?

BB: Sunday morning, you're a fast learner aren't you?

Effing A-hole

FF: Hey coach when do I get my playbook?

BB: Sunday morning, you're a fast learner aren't you?

Effing A-hole

766195[/snapback]

If Freddy was used (they sat him down and questioned him for a while about the Bills offensive plays) it would be very interesting if he came out publically and expressed it. That might prompt some action.

I just find it funny that, if its true that he was only signed to get info on the Bills, that BB would need to do that. I thought the Bills should have been a pushover for the Pats, they have no talent, theyare going to lose almost every game and get the #1 pick? He is supposed to be the greatest coach, Laundry would have looked to him for coaching tips, second inline to godlinesss (behind Bruschi, of course).

Why would he need to resort to stealing info from a Bills cast off. Atleast when Buffalo did it, they kept Milloy around for 2 years

If the Pats led him on thinking he would have a legitimate shot, it's easy to imagine he would have chosen them over all other teams. They have no clear returner and they are woefully short of WRs right now.

They claimed Smith off waivers; he didn't have a choice.

And while I wouldn't put it past the sonuvaBelichick to pull a stunt like this, there is another possibility. Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, and rookie Chad Jackson were the only WRs on the roster who were around for training camp/preseason, and Jackson has been limited in practice all week with a bad hamstring. To make matters worse, Doug Gabriel was added to the injury report with a hamstring tweak of his own.

The Pats run more 3-wide/4-wide sets than just about any team in the league; does it make sense they'd want another WR available who's actually practiced in their offense for more than one week?

Just sayin'.