Wanted: A Consistent Starting Quarterback

rockpile

This is really kind of a skimpy camp report, but I decided I would put in as much effort as Buffalo's three quarteRbacks did tonight.

All of them were as flat as Olive Oyl's, well, you know!

Underthrown. overthrown, intercepted, sacked, uninspired... I am (almost) speechless. We are a team without a quarterback! :P

JP started with an underthrow, an INT and an overthrow.

Holcomb needed seven seconds to pass. He cOuld not even find his checkdown man.

Nall seemed to think the object was to throw the ball as hard as you can, in the vicinity of the receiver.

For you who have been saying we MUST give Nall a chance. He was lost outside the huddle. On a bright note - he hands off the ball well.

We did get there late so we got the cheap seats, and the total field view was not great - but I saw enough to know I was NOT seeing enough.

This is basically just a bash our QBs post, I guess :flirt:

The rest of the team was looking pretty good. Lionel Gates and A-Train got a lot of action receiving and rushing. Some nice work by the tight ends.

Anyone know why Willis was wearing number two? Did the one come off in the wash? He also ran VERY well tonight.

Our offense made our defense look like they were an All Star team.

I was with babyrock and a friend and we had fun on a gorgeous Rochester summer night. The two lovely young ladies saved the night for me.

As far as football, I saw little to SHOUT about.

sigh

This is really kind of a skimpy camp report, but I decided I would put in as much effort as Buffalo's three quarteRbacks did tonight.

All of them were as flat as Olive Oyl's, well, you know!

Underthrown. overthrown, intercepted, sacked, uninspired... I am (almost) speechless. We are a team without a quarterback!  :P

JP started with an underthrow, an INT and an overthrow.

Holcomb needed seven seconds to pass. He cOuld not even find his checkdown man.

Nall seemed to think the object was to throw the ball as hard as you can, in the vicinity of the receiver.

For you who have been saying we MUST give Nall a chance. He was lost outside the huddle. On a bright note - he hands off the ball well.

We did get there late so we got the cheap seats, and the total field view was not great - but I saw enough to know I was NOT seeing enough.

This is basically just a bash our QBs post, I guess  :flirt:

The rest of the team was looking pretty good. Lionel Gates and A-Train got a lot of action receiving and rushing. Some nice work by the tight ends.

Anyone know why Willis was wearing number two?  Did the one come off in the wash? He also ran VERY well tonight.

I was with babyrock and a friend and we had fun on a gorgeous Rochester summer night. The two lovely young ladies saved the night for me.

As far as football, I saw little to SHOUT about.

sigh

748792[/snapback]

Damn man, we JUST got some of the kids here away from the ledge...way to shove them right back off!

This is basically just a bash our QBs post, I guess  :flirt:

Please, Rock, tell us how you really feel...

Anyone know why Willis was wearing number two?  Did the one come off in the wash? He also ran VERY well tonight.

2 was his number at UM I believe.

Maybe they are... :P

"I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that? " :flirt:

"I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that? "  :flirt:

748818[/snapback]

I'm with you, AI.

BTW. Did we every scrutinize every single pass that Jimbo threw in practice, during training camp????

Damn man, we JUST got some of the kids here away from the ledge...way to shove them right back off!

748800[/snapback]

:doh:

Look, I have been a Bills fan as long as I can remember (and I can remember a long way back).

I did not gloss over in the 2-14 seasons, the decade of 70's, and the LOST episodes that have been the Y2K Bills. Why change now? :flirt:

Come opening day in Orchard Park, I will be there in all my colors cheering on my team.

Damn kids gotta get over this "instant gratification" syndrome anyway! :P

I welcome comments from anyone else who was there tonight.

"I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that? "  :doh:

748818[/snapback]

You lost me man. Is this an inside joke that I missed?

All I am sayng is we do NOT have a QB. The idea of practice is to hit a target, right? :P

I am not the Anti-Christ! :flirt:

You and I must have been at different practices altogether tonight.

While Losman wasn't perfect, he DEFINITELY looked good a lot more than he looked bad. A lot of his throws were beautiful in my eyes.

He looked worlds ahead of Holcomb and Nall also.

Yeah, I did a double-take when I read CB's report after reading Rockpile's, since 16-26 with an INT and a sack does NOT sound that horrible.

While Losman wasn't perfect, he DEFINITELY looked good a lot more than he looked bad. A lot of his throws were beautiful in my eyes.

748850[/snapback]

Maybe he started really bad, giving Rockpile Gary Marangi flashbacks and putting him in a "grumpy old man" state for the rest of the night! :flirt:

Yeah, I did a double-take when I read CB's report after reading Rockpile's, since 16-26 with an INT and a sack does NOT sound that horrible.

748854[/snapback]

He wasn't.

I was actually going to make a post about how well he looked. He threw a pick, but it was tipped from the recievers hand and bounced into London Fletcher's. Not to mention, pick's (unless there's a lot of them) in camp aren't that big of a deal. Most camp situations are no comparisons to the real deal.

He threw some real beauties tonight and compared to the others..... well; there was no comparison.

748850[/snapback]

You must have had better seats. :flirt:

Seriously, I am happy to hear this!

I WANT Losman to be the man. I agree he was much better than the others.

Check the clips from practice on the main Bills site. He looks pretty good, and certainly better than the other two tonight. Both KH and CN threw multiple picks along with JP's one which explains your overall view a bit though...

He wasn't.

I was actually going to make a post about how well he looked. He threw a pick, but it was tipped from the recievers hand and bounced into London Fletcher's. Not to mention, pick's (unless there's a lot of them) in camp aren't that big of a deal. Most camp situations are no comparisons to the real deal.

He threw some real beauties tonight and compared to the others..... well; there was no comparison.

748865[/snapback]

So the truth is Holcomb is hopeless and has regressed beyond salvation it appears and Nall is nowhere. That leaves us with a developing prospect which is what most fans would call Losman.

You lost me man. Is this an inside joke that I missed?

All I am sayng is we do NOT have a QB. The idea of practice is to hit a target, right?  :doh:

I am not the Anti-Christ!  :flirt:

748828[/snapback]

Sorry, that was from Allen Iverson on the importance of practice. Probably in his case as a basketball player, practice isn't as important as it is in football. I admit your report does concern me a little bit. However judging from the games so far in the preseason, it definitely appears John Paul is getting closer and closer. He still bounces some easy passes and makes some questionable plays but I can see definite signs of improvement. Besides some guys are just better gamers than others. Plus, it's late in camp and maybe players are starting to wear down a bit. I think with some more game success and confidence, Losman will become the QB we all hoped for. I hope. :P

How did the TE's and Ofeensive Line do is the real question you want to ask about.

As for JP looking bad. People are saying our secondary is the best in the league, and the strongest part of our team. So what if a "second" year - really year and a half- quarterback does not look great and he throws a pick. Relax, he'll come around.

He is throwing against three former first round picks back there in Troy Vincent, Nate Clements and Donte Whitner, and throwing against a projected first round pick in Ashton Youboty, and someone as stellar as Terrence McGee.

748792[/snapback]

Now I'm sorry but that is downright hilarious and strangely ironic after I just complemented him for the first time in my life in another post.

Sounds like some special olympics sh_t if you ask me.

Jeez, I'm tuned into the BB.com practice film EVERY NIGHT, but Kelly Holcomb threw an interception off one of his patented "check-down" options. Right between the 5 and the 2 to Wendell Hunter..... His bread and butter doesn't even work now, yikes!!

At the end of the day, Losman is still basically a rookie. He's gonna make us stand and cheer one minute, then throw sh-- the next. It's gonna be a bumpy ride this season.

I hope he continues to improve, taking the next step next season. Much like McGee did last year, not a season removed from everyone wanting to bench him.

At the end of the day, Losman is still basically a rookie.  He's gonna make us stand and cheer one minute, then throw sh-- the next.  It's gonna be a bumpy ride this season. 

I hope he continues to improve, taking the next step next season.  Much like McGee did last year, not a season removed from everyone wanting to bench him.

748978[/snapback]

On the radio this morning Simon & Jeremy White stated that Losman actually looked pretty good last night & that they definately notice that he has been improving. Call me crazy but I think we are going to the Bowl this year.

I am happy to entertain you with my opinion. :devil:

Now I'm sorry but that is downright hilarious and strangely ironic after I just complemented him for the first time in my life in another post.

Sounds like some special olympics sh_t if you ask me.

748913[/snapback]

I would not mind the Bills keeping Kingsbury rather than Holcomb for third string, but it would not bother me if Holcomb stays. Third string is basically irrelavant. If Buffalo has to use their third string QB for more than mop up duty the season is no doubt a disaster anyway.

From everything I've seen and read, it looks like Nall is just an average to below avg practice QB. On the flip side he seems to have a good completion % in the preseason games he's played over the last few years. Maybe he's a decent gameday QB?

JP is the man for now, but he really needs to work on his accuracy. We missed some easy 3rd down conversions against Cinci simply because he short hopped balls. You just don't see guys like Brady, Delhomme, Palmer, etc.. ever do that.

From everything I've seen and read, it looks like Nall is just an average to below avg practice QB.  On the flip side he seems to have a good completion % in the preseason games he's played over the last few years.  Maybe he's a decent gameday QB?

Actually Nall has only completed more than 50% of his passes in 9 pre-season game, against the Falcons and Browns in 2003:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/schedule/GB/2005 (only played in the Buffalo and Tenn games)

http://www.nfl.com/teams/schedule/GB/2004 (only played in the Jags and Tenn games)

http://www.nfl.com/teams/schedule/GB/2003

:devil:

The only time he saw action during the regular season was in 2004, but that was in garbage time of a blowout win and loss.

JP is the man for now, but he really needs to work on his accuracy.  We missed some easy 3rd down conversions against Cinci simply because he short hopped balls.  You just don't see guys like Brady, Delhomme, Palmer, etc.. ever do that.

JP went 7-11 with a dropped ball, for a 63% completion rate (or 73% if you count the drop). Can't really expect much more than that.

And reportedly tonight he was 15-26 with 3 drops.

JP is the man for now, but he really needs to work on his accuracy.  We missed some easy 3rd down conversions against Cinci simply because he short hopped balls.  You just don't see guys like Brady, Delhomme, Palmer, etc.. ever do that.

749655[/snapback]

Yeah, those other QBs have 100% completion percentages. :devil:

JP has lots of holes in his game but saying that other QBs dont' throw bad balls is just ridiculous. Of course they do, they do so all the time.

Yeah, those other QBs have 100% completion percentages.  :devil:

JP has lots of holes in his game but saying that other QBs dont' throw bad balls is just ridiculous.  Of course they do, they do so all the time.

749671[/snapback]

You know, I decided to take a look at the three QB's mentioned, and I was surprised to find that, while Palmer's and Delhomme's completions percentages are pretty equal from 1st-3rd down, Brady's is about 10% less on 3rd than 1st or 2nd. His QB rating is 10-15 points lower too (I guess that has to do with 34.4% of his INTS coming on 3rd and 25% of his TD's). Doesn't mean much, it's all just stats, just found it interesting...pretty consistently over his career as well...

On the radio this morning Simon & Jeremy White stated that Losman actually looked pretty good last night & that they definately notice that he has been improving.  Call me crazy but I think we are going to the Bowl this year.

749071[/snapback]

Nobody's called this guy crazy in the four hours since he posted it? :devil: