Who is the worst Bills QB of all-time?

Vote for who you think is the worst Bills QB ever (Kelly, Ferguson, & Kemp exempted)  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for who you think is the worst Bills QB ever (Kelly, Ferguson, & Kemp exempted)

• Drew Bledsoe ('02-04)
    • Doug Flutie ('98-00)
    • Dennis Shaw ('70-73)
    • Rob Johnson ('98-01)
    • Todd Collins ('95-97)
    • Alex Van Pelt ('95-03)
    • Frank Reich ('85-94)
    • John Green ('60-61)
    • Daryle Lamonica ('63-66)
    • Dan Darragh ('68-70)
    • Vince Ferragamo ('85)
    • Gary Marangi ('74-76)
    • Bruce Mathison ('85)
    • Kelly Holcomb ('05)
    • JP Losman ('04-05)

There was so much more wasted on RJ's part. 

Todd Collins was just a stiff, and I think we all knew it, deep down, at the time.

Mike

736175[/snapback]

The question was who is the worst Bills QB of all-time, not most underachieving. Collins in a landslide. What's scary is that Butler and Marv thought he was going to be so good. I used to watch Collins opposite Kelly in warmups as a rookie and what really stood out was how weak his arm was for such a big gawky bird. I mean Kelly's arm was SHOT and it looked like he was in a pitching duel against the 3rd runner up in the 15 year old PPK contest. And of course he had no athleticism combined with poor pocket awareness.

Out of the ones on that list that I saw, it's gotta be Ferragamo. If you asked him to do anything more than throw a 2-yard dump off, you were asking for trouble. I'm pretty sure he even asked Hank Bullough to yank him out of a game, which goes with a previous poster saying he didn't want to be around.

Too bad Matt Kofler didn't quite get to 200 attempts, or else he would win. I loved when he would replace Fergy in '84 and reel off 1 for 11 passing performances.

Who the hell voted AVP!?

736828[/snapback]

What about Frank Reich? First off, he shouldn't even be on the list, secondly, he played incredible at times. Greatest comeback ever and who can ever forget the Rams game on monday night football? And a playoff win in Pittsburgh

RJ, hands down.  Great example of how physical talent doesn't translate into victories, or even good stats.  Rob Johnson had neither the heart nor the head to be a winner.

Mike

736167[/snapback]

That's a crock of sh--. RJ had more heart than just about any QB on that list. He'd stand in the pocket forever and take huge shots trying to make a play. Then he'd scrape himself up off the turf and do it all over again.

I'll agree on the head part, if the guy had any kind of head for football he would have been a good QB, but saying the guy had no heart is just flat out wrong.

Once saw Darragh complete 3 passes on a series at the Rock and it was 4th and 16, no penalties or odd plays where the reciever lost yards running around, just 2 outs for no gain and a screen pass that lost 6 yards...and that series was the best he had all night, SERENITY NOW !!!

Once saw Darragh complete 3 passes on a series at the Rock and it was 3rd and 16, no penalties or odd plays where the reciever lost yards running around,  just 2 outs for no gain and a screen pass that lost 6 yards...and that series was the best he had all night, SERENITY NOW !!!

736955[/snapback]

That's nothing, I once saw Drew throw the ball away on fourth down on the final drive of the Eagles game in 2003, when he forgot what down it was. :D

That's nothing, I once saw Drew throw the ball away on fourth down on the final drive of the Eagles game in 2003, when he forgot what down it was.  :lol:

736959[/snapback]

I gotta agree,rj was the worst ever.He had a cannon for an arm and a pebble for a brain.Alls he wanted to do was go surfing,but he has a Superbowl Ring. PATHETIC.Also how could Joe Dufek be left off the poll?He sucked too :D

Who the hell voted AVP!?

736828[/snapback]

You mean Kelly Holcomb V.1?

I can't fairly comment on anyone prior to Dennis Shaw (my first cognisant year as a Bills fan was Dennis Shaw's rookie year, I think rumours of his suckiness are being exaggerated a bit, he was the offensive rookie of the year, on a very bad team)....I know my older brother and father would swear the worst all-time was Dan Darragh...

For me (1972-present):

#5- Alex Van Pelt ( A little controverisal I know, but the idea of going into the 2002 season with him as the starter had me as depressed as RICO would be if Drew Bledsoe was the opening day starter in 2005! Good back-up, below mediocre as a starter! Van Pelt I mean....)

#4- Todd Collins (Definitely had his flaws, but played well, against good teams, as Kelly's sub...again, not so hot as a starter....)

#3- Bruce Mathison (brutal...)

#2- Joe Dufek (brutaler!)

#1- Gary Marangi (ugggghhh!)

Honorable mentions, that don't qualify:

1- David Humm

2- Roscoe Parrish

3- Travis Henry!

Todd Collins has almost three times the votes as Gary Marangi?

That just demonstrates the startling lack of football knowledge on this board...  :D

737176[/snapback]

It's those darn kids, I tell ya! No historical sense... no respect....

Hey, get off of my lawn!

What about Joe Dufek?  I believe the team won his first game as a rookie vs. Indy (circa 1985), and I don't remember what happened after that.  He wasn't around long, though.

737226[/snapback]

I set the number at a minimum of 200 attempts in a Bills uniform. Dufek had 150. I should've included this originally, I'll edit and add to my first post.

All-time Bills passing stats (through '04 season)

I'd love to say RJ, but Bruce Mathison was a weak armed, slow, limited, not overly bright interception waiting to happen.

736204[/snapback]

Oddly enough, Mathison and Todd Collins (who were my top 2) each had one of the more memorable pass plays in Bills history. Mathison hit Jerry Butler with a 50-yard rainbow against Miami in 1985, and TC still owns the record for longest pass play in franchise history (95 yards to Quinn Early).

They still sucked though.

It looks like we could be close to annointing the worst QB in Bills history. I would be slightly surprised if Toad Collins won out. He was in a tough spot replacing Jimbo, and didn't everyone more or less know from the start that he didn't quite have 'it?' I never had much hope for the guy.

Anyways, it's not surprising that two of the more recent QBs earned most of the votes. It is the nature with any Internet poll- the young demographic dominates. I'm sure Paul Pierce would garner many more votes than he should if a poll asked about the greatest Celtics scorer ever. Short attention span and shorter memories...

I am 27 years old, so obviously I didn't see many of these QBs play. Thanks to some of the vets for enlightening me on some Bills history. Keep the stories of Hall of Shame performances coming. It seems like Marangi and Darragh got most of the votes from those who saw them play.

I voted for Vince Ferragamo. I was 7 years old in the fall of '85 and I distinctly remember how bad Ferragamo was. The funny thing is, I don't really remember Mathison much at all. But if you added the two 1985 QB's together, they would have 45 votes, one more than Toad's 44.

Is it safe to assume that the two-headed QB monster of 1985 could be considered the worst quarterbacking options in team history? In other words, if they weren't dividing the votes amongst each other, and one of them played the full season, would that guy be the worst ever???

Since everyone loves to B word about QBs, let's annoint the worst of all time.

All-time Bills passing stats (through 2004 season)

736159[/snapback]

Of that group of course its Collins...just awful.....and a shame cuz he was a hell of a nice guy. Big,strong,good arm......................horrrrrrrible QB---how the hell he even made a junior high football team just astounds me.

It looks like we could be close to annointing the worst QB in Bills history.  I would be slightly surprised if Toad Collins won out.  He was in a tough spot replacing Jimbo, and didn't everyone more or less know from the start that he didn't quite  have 'it?'  I never had much hope for the guy. 

Anyways, it's not surprising that two of the more recent QBs earned most of the votes.  It is the nature with any Internet poll- the young demographic dominates.  I'm sure Paul Pierce would garner many more votes than he should if a poll asked about the greatest Celtics scorer ever.  Short attention span and shorter memories...

I am 27 years old, so obviously I didn't see many of these QBs play.  Thanks to some of the vets for enlightening me on some Bills history.  Keep the stories of Hall of Shame performances coming.  It seems like Marangi and Darragh got most of the votes from those who saw them play. 

I voted for Vince Ferragamo.  I was 7 years old in the fall of '85 and I distinctly remember how bad Ferragamo was.  The funny thing is, I don't really remember Mathison much at all.  But if you added the two 1985 QB's together, they would have 45 votes, one more than Toad's 44. 

Is it safe to assume that the two-headed QB monster of 1985 could be considered the worst quarterbacking options in team history?  In other words, if they weren't dividing the votes amongst each other, and one of them played the full season, would that guy be the worst ever???

737552[/snapback]

The thing about Collins is: I always thought he had it in himself to be a decent starter - I never thought he'd light up the league like Peyton Manning, but neither did I think he'd blow chunks like Ryan Leaf. And I think his first season of backup work bore me out (funny how no one forgets his rather capable performance in his first start against Dallas, garnering praise for his confidence and leadership from none other than Kent Hull).

Then the Dan Henning offense came along which, instead of emphasizing the short passing game and power running game, was designed instead to kill a young and relatively quarterback by emphasizing the long passing game behind a weak line that couldn't block traffic (the same line, by the way, that ended Kelly's career - how many offensive lines can claim they've ended TWO quarterbacks' careers? :))

Todd Collins was very much a victim of circumstance...that circumstance being: "Hey, Todd, we're going to put you behind a line that ended the career of the Hall-of-Famer you're replacing, in an offensive system designed to kill you as quickly as possible, and the fans expect you to perform at an all-pro level. Good luck, buddy."

And I'm still boggled that ANYONE can pick Todd Collins as the "worst" over Gary Marangi. Or Losman over Marangi. What the hell's wrong with you people? Todd Collins may have been a victim of circumstance, but Gary friggin' Marangi was only a victim of Gary friggin' Marangi.

Anyways, it's not surprising that two of the more recent QBs earned most of the votes.  It is the nature with any Internet poll- the young demographic dominates.  I'm sure Paul Pierce would garner many more votes than he should if a poll asked about the greatest Celtics scorer ever.  Short attention span and shorter memories...

737552[/snapback]

Yep, Mularkey is the worst coach in history because he's the most recent.

Didn't Ferragamo have a 5 TD and 21 INT season for the Bills? I believe he did....that was arguably the worst season for a starting QB in Bills history! YUCK!!

736316[/snapback]

I believe most of the responders who didn't vote for VF did not actually see him play. Yes, there there are multiple atrocius choices, but this guy's career was over before he took a snap for the Bills. The GM should have been summarily fired for that hire. He probable was fired anyhow for that wonderful season.