July Movies: Pirates 2, Lady in the Water, &...

While Superman attempts to leap box office records in a single bound, the month of July rolls in to add more excitement to the summer season.

Leading that charge is "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest". When Disney announced several years ago that they would be making movies based on their theme park attractions, they never dreamed of the success that one of them would make. After the days of Douglas Fairbanks and Errol Flynn, pirate movies were box office poison. In 2003 Pirates of the Caribbean broke that curse. Grossing over 300 million, bringing Keira Knightley to the forefront, and getting one of the best performances out of Johnny Depp, Disney struck gold.

Now, Captain Jack Sparrow and company are back for the first of two sequels. Keira Knightley & Orlando Bloom are back for the ride too.

This time out Jack Sparrow finds that he has a debt to pay to the infamous pirate, Davy Jones and his army of sea-phantoms. Needless to say there will be plenty of cannons going off, lots of swordplay, and special effects to spare. No doubt there will be plenty of fun to be had. The big question, can the sequel outgross the first film?

Also returning to the summer is filmmaker M.Night Shyamalan, with his latest movie, "Lady in the Water". This story concerns an apartment building superintendent(Paul Giamatti) who discovers a woman(Bryce Dallas Howard) in the swimming pool, who apparently is from another world. As usual Shymalan's movie has a tight lid on it, and has an unusual fantasy feel.

Columbia Pictures & Amblin Entertainment team up for the CG animated "Monster House". Using the same animation style for The Polar Express, this movie is about 3 kids who discover that the house across the street is actually a living, breathing, monster. Steve Buscemi, Jon Heder, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Jason Lee lend their voice talents.

Keanu Reeves, Robert Downey, Jr., Winona Ryder, and Woody Harrelson, star in the long delayed "A Scanner Darkly". Based on a Philip K. Dick novel, and directed by Richard Linklater, this story involves an undercover cop who is hooked on the drug, Substance D. A drug that which causes it's users to develop split personalities. Can this cop bust the drug dealer who also happens to be himself?

Like the movie Waking Life, this film was shot with live action and then animated over.

A pair of different romantic comedies are coming soon starring the Wilson bros.

In "You, Me, and Dupree", newlyweds Kate Hudson & Matt Dillon allow "best man" Owen Wilson to come stay with them until he can land on his feet. When that will happen is unknown.

In "My Super Ex-Girlfriend", Luke Wilson discovers that hell hath no fury like a super-woman scorned. After he dumps his all-to-needy girlfriend(Uma Thurman), it is revealed to him that she is also the famous super heroine "G-Girl". This movie will show to everyone why women do not need superpowers. Anna Faris co-stars, and directed by Ivan Reitman.

Director Kevin Smith is back with "Clerks II". It is 12 years since the first Clerks film and Dante & Randal still have the same jobs. That is until their companies are forced to close. Forcing them to work at "Mooby's". Rosario Dawson, Jason Lee, Jason Mewes & Kevin Smith co-star.

Diector Michael Mann brings his 80's tv show "Miami Vice" to the big screen. Colin Farrell is Crockett & Jamie Foxx is Tubbs.

From the creators of Jimmy Neutron comes "The Ant Bully". The story of Lucas Nickle whom after flooding the ant hill with his water gun, is shrunk down to ant-size and learns what life as an ant is all about.

Keenan, Shawn, & Marlon Wayans bring us "Little Man". In this a wannabe dad mistakes a baby faced-vertically challenged criminal on the lam as hi newly adopted son. Can you say Golden Raspberry.

Finally, director Betty Thomas brings us "John Tucker Must Die". The story of 3 girls all dating the same guy in high school, plot together to ruin his life.

Independant movie watch:

I have'nt posted much on any indies lately, but this month there is a wide variety of some potentially very good ones. Here is what is to com on the independant circuit.

"The OH in Ohio", stars Parker Posey and Paul Rudd play a married couple who have everything they want out of life, except in their bedroom. Danny DeVito, Mischa Barton, & Liza Minnelli co-star.

ESPN moves to the big screen with it's soccer documentary "Once in a Lifetime". Following the rise and fall of the 1970's soccer team, the New York Cosmos.

A big hit from the Sundance Festival is the comedy "Little Miss Sunshine". Steve Carell, Alan Arkin, Toni Collette, & Greg Kinnear are a family of 4 taking a cross country trip in their VW Bus, in order to get their little girl Olive(Abigail Breslin) into the finals of a beauty pageant.

Another festival fave, this time from Toronto, comes "Brothers of the Head". In the 1970's a music promoter turns conjoined twins Tom & Barry Howe into a proto-punk rock band.

And Woody Allen delivers his latest film "Scoop". Taking place in Britain again, Scarlett Johansson plays an american journalist student who scoops a big story, and begins an affair with an aristocrat(Hugh Jackman) as the incident unfurls.

Dates & Trailers:

7/7

Pirates of the Caribbean:Dead Man's Chest: http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/

A Scanner Darkly: http://wip.warnerbros.com/ascannerdarkly/

7/14

Little Man: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808676620/trailer

You, Me, and Dupree: http://www.youmeanddupree.com/

7/21

Lady in the Water: http://ladyinthewater.warnerbros.com/

Monster House: http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/monsterhouse/site/

Clerks II: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808730008/trailer

My Super Ex-Girlfriend: http://www.mysuperex.com/

7/28

Miami Vice: http://www.miamivice.com/

The Ant Bully: http://www2.warnerbros.com/antbully/

John Tucker Must Die: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/johntuck...stdie/trailerb/

Independant calendar. Please Note that these dates are for limited release.

7/14

The OH in Ohio: http://theohinohio.com/trailer.html

7/21

Once in a Lifetime: http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/once...fetime/trailer/

7/26

Little Miss Sunshine: http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/littlemisssunshine/

7/28

Brothers of the Head: http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/brothersofthehead/

Scoop: http://www.scoopmovie.net/

Whew!!! There you have it folks. The last full month of movies we can enjoy until training camp starts. See you in August.

"Its TIME....It's VADERR TIME!!!"

Thanks for that, as always, Mark.....I'm actually really excited for some of those Indies you mentioned! Specifically, "The OH in Ohio", "Once in a Lifetime" and "Little Miss Sunshine"......I need to keep an eye on all three of those. Some nice offerings on the mainstream list, too.....good work!!

did they let you have your penis back when you were leaving the theater?????? :o:o

Thanks, Mark.

BTW, wife 'n me saw "Akeelah and the Bee" at the discount theater on Saturday.

Nicely done...heartwarming story.

717728[/snapback]

"Its TIME....It's VADERR TIME!!!"

Thanks for that, as always, Mark.....I'm actually really excited for some of those Indies you mentioned!  Specifically, "The OH in Ohio", "Once in a Lifetime" and "Little Miss Sunshine"......I need to keep an eye on all three of those. Some nice offerings on the mainstream list, too.....good work!!

717611[/snapback]

You're welcome aj. I have heard that "Little Miss Sunshine" is a very funny movie, and I look forward to seeing it.

Love your avatar, I still have not heard any progress on Bubba Nosferatu yet. I hope they make it.

You are the man mark. We need to catch up bro.

717624[/snapback]

Hey Joey, good to see you are still around. We definitely have to catch up. Not to mention we gotta make our predictions in August.

You're welcome aj. I have heard that "Little Miss Sunshine" is a very funny movie, and I look forward to seeing it.

Love your avatar, I still have not heard any progress on Bubba Nosferatu yet. I hope they make it.

718152[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I hope they do too....I've read quotes from both Bill Campbell and Don whatshisname that it's pretty much a 'go', so I'm optimistic. I think it's a shame that more people haven't seen 'Bubba Ho-Tep'.....it's such an enjoyable and creative flick. People probably read the description and think, "wtf??", and then they pass it by. But it's funny, a bit suspenseful, well-acted, and has a bit of social commentary with regard to the aging population, too. It's one of my all-time favorites, for sure :doh: That's why I love it when you point out some upcoming Indy films, cause I often don't really hear about them until I go digging around. There are so many good low budget films out there....I hate that so many of them don't find an audience, especially when they're often better than most of the mainstream stuff.

Caught a clip of "A Scanner Darkly" last night and it looks just cool as hell, but I wonder if the animation-over-video won't get a bit old half-way through the flick. But the scene in the car with Downey Jr., Woody and Keanu Reeves was definitely slick-as-schitt.

Caught a clip of "A Scanner Darkly" last night and it looks just cool as hell, but I wonder if the animation-over-video won't get a bit old half-way through the flick. But the scene in the car with Downey Jr., Woody and Keanu Reeves was definitely slick-as-schitt.

719227[/snapback]

I'm really looking forward to that one....all I've seen are previews, but I can't take my eyes off all the detail in that animation....pretty remarkable

Went to see "Pirates 2" today.  It was pretty good but I was a little disapointed.  Has any one else see it yet?  I can't wait to see "Lady in the Water"...looks good.

720189[/snapback]

I saw POTC:DMC, definitely better than Superman. I'm slightly biased with the Pirates franchise, so I liked it more than most. It was a touch too long and slow to pick up steam, but I found it funny and very much an echo of Empire Strikes Back (in a good way). Just like Empire, the film feels like the middle act of a play rather than a stand-alone movie.

Also, if you were luke warm about the original movie, then this one won't do much for you. However, if you dug the first one, then you'll be happy with the sequel.

I saw POTC:DMC, definitely better than Superman. I'm slightly biased with the Pirates franchise, so I liked it more than most. It was a touch too long and slow to pick up steam, but I found it funny and very much an echo of Empire Strikes Back (in a good way). Just like Empire, the film feels like the middle act of a play rather than a stand-alone movie.

Also, if you were luke warm about the original movie, then this one won't do much for you. However, if you dug the first one, then you'll be happy with the sequel.

720291[/snapback]

Hmmmm....interesting way to look at it. I guess I was just expecting them to wrap up more stuff but now I see why they didn't. I really liked the first one because there was a lot of Captain Jack Sparrow in it. This one didn't seem to have as much of him in it. Guess I just missed that from the first one.

LanaK6 Posted Yesterday, 11:28 PM

QUOTE(tgreg99 @ Jul 8 2006, 08:31 PM)

Hmmmm....interesting way to look at it. I guess I was just expecting them to wrap up more stuff but now I see why they didn't. I really liked the first one because there was a lot of Captain Jack Sparrow in it. This one didn't seem to have as much of him in it. Guess I just missed that from the first one.

I saw POTC:DMC and I did like it. It probably could have been a bit shorter. The first half of the movie seemed a bit sluggish, but when they get to Davy Jones it really picked up. That swordfight on the mill was crazy. I loved the way they set it up for the 3rd movie, the sold out audience I saw it with went crazy with the ending.

I somewhat disagree with you tgreg on it being better than Superman. I really enjoyed Superman Returns. I loved the opening credits, Brandon Routh was very good, Kevin Spacey was great, and I must admit Kate Bosworth played a good Lois Lane. I thought it played out very well. Just my opinion.

I somewhat disagree with you tgreg on it being better than Superman. I really enjoyed Superman Returns. I loved the opening credits, Brandon Routh was very good, Kevin Spacey was great, and I must admit Kate Bosworth played a good Lois Lane. I thought it played out very well. Just my opinion.

720316[/snapback]

I've yet to see either, but I thought the first POTC was good, not great....and I'll pretty much geek out over Superman, so I'm expecting to really enjoy seeing the new version. I'm pretty happy with how many of the superhero films have turned out over the past few years. I really enjoyed the Spider-Man films, loved Batman Begins, really liked Hellboy, and I expect to really like Superman Returns. I even enjoyed Daredevil, though I wish someone other than Bennie had the lead role. The only film I thought he was even half decent in was 'Good Will Hunting'. Aside from that, I feel like he's playing the same character in every film. He sucks. On the other hand, Matt Damon has far exceeded my expectations....he's perfect for the 'Bourne' films, was great in 'Rounders', great in "Talented Mr. Ripley"....the guy never makes a bad film. He's not in Phillip Seymour Hoffman's league, but he's a very solid actor.

Superman Returns was a fun and entertaining movie...I enjoyed it...

Of the list from the first posting, I am looking forward to "You Me and Dupree"

Owen Wilson is pretty good and the trailer was decent..

Went to see "Pirates 2" today.  It was pretty good but I was a little disapointed.  Has any one else see it yet?  I can't wait to see "Lady in the Water"...looks good.

720189[/snapback]

I saw it yesterday too. All I can say is if Hollywood would spend half as much money and time developing scripts and plots as they do on special effects, movies just might be worth going to see. Needless to say this movie was big on flash and eye candy but very little substance.

I saw it yesterday too.  All I can say is if Hollywood would spend half as much money and time developing scripts and plots as they do on special effects, movies just might be worth going to see.  Needless to say this movie was big on flash and eye candy but very little substance.

720520[/snapback]

See this is where I disagree. Certainly POTC:DMC is a spectical movie, as hollywood as you can imagine, but the writers are two of the best in the biz and there are a ton of layers to each character within this film. The problem is that the spectical sometimes overshadows it, but there is a good story and great characters writen into this film. Same with the first one. At least in my opinion.

Vader, as for Superman, I am a huge fan of the original film. I still think it's the paramount of Comic Book films. So I went into Superman with high expectations, and just found the film dull. Afterwards I went home and watched the original and found that film more riveting and more exciting than the 2006 version, despite being limited with 1970s special effects. I mean, Superman Returns looked pretty, but the biggest story twist (won't spoil it but you know what I mean) you can see coming from the second they re-introduce Lois. There was nothing wrong with the movie in terms of story/plot/logic etc, it just seemed stale for some reason. But that's just me.

See this is where I disagree. Certainly POTC:DMC is a spectical movie, as hollywood as you can imagine, but the writers are two of the best in the biz and there are a ton of layers to each character within this film. The problem is that the spectical sometimes overshadows it, but there is a good story and great characters writen into this film. Same with the first one. At least in my opinion.

720551[/snapback]

If you think that was a good story with lots of layers that ok, that's your opinion. However I disagree. The characters had NO layers and with a running time of two and a half hours they had plenty of time for character and plot development. But Hollywood with it flash, bang, eye candy movies they spent too much time and money on the spectical. The plot was weak, thin and almost non-existant. Watch a great movie done in the '30's or '40's prior to massive special effects and you'll see what I mean.

I don't know, I guess it has to do with attention spans of people these days. Don't know how old you are but when you refer to Pirates of the Caribbean, Dead Man's Chest as POTC:DMC it makes me wonder if you could sit through a two hour movie without explosions but actual dialogue and not be bored to tears.

If you think that was a good story with lots of layers that ok, that's your opinion.  However I disagree.  The characters had NO layers and with a running time of two and a half hours they had plenty of time for character and plot development.  But Hollywood with it flash, bang, eye candy movies they spent too much time and money on the spectical.  The plot was weak, thin and almost non-existant.  Watch a great movie done in the '30's or '40's prior to massive special effects and you'll see what I mean. 

I don't know, I guess it has to do with attention spans of people these days.  Don't know how old you are but when you refer to Pirates of the Caribbean, Dead Man's Chest as POTC:DMC it makes me wonder if you could sit through a two hour movie without explosions but actual dialogue and not be bored to tears.

720655[/snapback]

Worse...they significantly changed the characterizations from the first one. Elizabeth Swann in "Dead Man's Chest" was not the same Elizabeth Swann as in "Curse of the Black Pearl". Not even remotely. I actually felt bad for Keira Knightley, having that BS part forced on her - it says a lot about the quality of the movie that she was mis-cast in a role she's played before. :devil: The deepest, most believable character, frankly, was Davey Jones...I was impressed with the quality of his acting, and his ability to, with just his eyes, express the emotional depth of a tormented soul while wearing a latex octopus on his face.

The movie, though, is no worse than any other modern part 2 of a trilogy. There was a time (Godfather II, Empire Strikes Back), when the inner movie of a trilogy could stand alone as a story. Nowadays, they film the last two parts of a trilogy at the same time...and use the second story as a setup for the final film. Some trilogies do it better than others (Lord of the Rings, for example, or the Spiderman series)...but Dead Man's Chest is one of the worst examples of this I've seen, with a cliffhanger so blisteringly in-your-face obvious it should have been made for TV.

The deepest, most believable character, frankly, was Davey Jones...I was impressed with the quality of his acting, and his ability to, with just his eyes, express the emotional depth of a tormented soul while wearing a latex octopus on his face.

720669[/snapback]

Was that a real actor? I thought the whole time that it was entirely CG.

Was that a real actor? I thought the whole time that it was entirely CG.

720680[/snapback]

The character was a real actor. Bill Nighy. I thought he did a pretty good job, considering he basically had just his eyes to work with.

The face may have been CGI...but it looked an awful lot like an applique. Wouldn't surprise me if it were a hybrid - latex mask with cgi effects added (the texture, moving tentacles, etc.) Probably have to wait for the director's commentary on the DVD to find out...

The character was a real actor.  Bill Nighy.  I thought he did a pretty good job, considering he basically had just his eyes to work with.

The face may have been CGI...but it looked an awful lot like an applique.  Wouldn't surprise me if it were a hybrid - latex mask with cgi effects added (the texture, moving tentacles, etc.)  Probably have to wait for the director's commentary on the DVD to find out...

720702[/snapback]

They did do a good job with Davey Jones and his crew but what was up with Naomi Harris as Tia Dalma? Looked like she had been chewing on a blue ink pen and it exploded in her mouth. :doh:

They did do a good job with Davey Jones and his crew but what was up with Naomi Harris as Tia Dalma?  Looked like she had been chewing on a blue ink pen and it exploded in her mouth.  :doh:

720707[/snapback]

More to the point, what was up with Tia Dalma?

Nothing like introducing a perfectly pointless and useless character into an already bloated script...

More to the point, what was up with Tia Dalma?

Nothing like introducing a perfectly pointless and useless character into an already bloated script...

720710[/snapback]

That was easily the most bloated script I've seen in a long while. I mean, I really couldn't keep track of what was going on for the entire first half of the movie. After that, it really didn't matter.

I saw Nacho Libre over the weekend.

I'm not sure what they were trying to do but it wasn't funny or interesting. If the intent was to make a cult classic they missed a key ingredient. Humor.

Worst "comedy" I've seen since Canadian Bacon.

The character was a real actor.  Bill Nighy.  I thought he did a pretty good job, considering he basically had just his eyes to work with.

The face may have been CGI...but it looked an awful lot like an applique.  Wouldn't surprise me if it were a hybrid - latex mask with cgi effects added (the texture, moving tentacles, etc.)  Probably have to wait for the director's commentary on the DVD to find out...

720702[/snapback]

Supposedly he wasn't wearing anything on his face when they filmed and they added all the octopus stuff in post-production. The creature designs for the movie look incredible. And whoever came up with having a pirate with an octopus head with octopus arms for a beard (and hair?) is a genius. Very few things in movies these days are really that interesting to look at since it feels like we've seen just about everything by now, but the Davey Jones design would cause me to buy a ticket even if the reviews were all completely awful.

It sucks that there wasn't much of a smooth transition from the first movie to this one. I heard someone comment that Johnny Depp isn't playing Jack Sparrow this time as much as he's playing a guy playing Jack Sparrow.

I'm still planning on checking it out.

I heard someone comment that Johnny Depp isn't playing Jack Sparrow this time as much as he's playing a guy playing Jack Sparrow.

720870[/snapback]

Actually he was playing a guy who would be comfortable driving a Fit. I felt like yelling "quit prancing around you friggin' sorry excuse for a pirate." Pirates are rough, tough, murderous villians. Not some mincing pansy ass. :doh:

I saw Nacho Libre over the weekend.

I'm not sure what they were trying to do but it wasn't funny or interesting. If the intent was to make a cult classic they missed a key ingredient. Humor.

Worst "comedy" I've seen since Canadian Bacon.

720844[/snapback]

Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with it either.

That was easily the most bloated script I've seen in a long while. I mean, I really couldn't keep track of what was going on for the entire first half of the movie. After that, it really didn't matter.

720770[/snapback]

I don't want to come off sounding like I am trying to build POTC into the best film in history, clearly it is not. And a lot of the criticism is justified. However, one pet peeve of mine is this sort of comment.

It is entirely unfair to criticize the script without reading it. What actually is on the page is very often not what appears on the screen. Changes are made whether it's the producer, director, set designer etc. I've read the script, and it is longer than the typical feature yes, but it is not bloated and does not have a wasted or unused moment -- now what happened on screen is a different story.

If you think that was a good story with lots of layers that ok, that's your opinion. However I disagree. The characters had NO layers and with a running time of two and a half hours they had plenty of time for character and plot development. But Hollywood with it flash, bang, eye candy movies they spent too much time and money on the spectical. The plot was weak, thin and almost non-existant. Watch a great movie done in the '30's or '40's prior to massive special effects and you'll see what I mean.

I don't know, I guess it has to do with attention spans of people these days. Don't know how old you are but when you refer to Pirates of the Caribbean, Dead Man's Chest as POTC:DMC it makes me wonder if you could sit through a two hour movie without explosions but actual dialogue and not be bored to tears.

720770[/snapback]

Again, it's not that I am saying POTC is the best film ever, but the story in and of itself is more layered than most give it credit for. It's not the fault of the writers or the audience for the most part (though I agree with the attention span comments to a degree -- though not about my abbreviations :doh: ). It's that in a spectical movie, effects generally take the front seat while the story remains in the trunk. Recently, as others have pointed out, that has changed with great writers and directors tackling big box office movies (Alvin Sargent, Sam Rami in Spiderman 2, Nolan and Goyer in Batman Begins etc).

In POTC you have Sparrow who, despite being a blantant shout out to Bugs Bunny (the classic Trickster character) is also a man so conflicted he doesn't know what he wants. So much so that the compas that always points to what you desire most is rendered useless in his hands. And when he finally steps up to do the right thing, to become the good man everyone sees him for, he is screwed over by the woman he loves. Depp brings his own style to the role, but there is a clear arc for Sparrow, one that is rife with conflict and desire masked by humor. In fact, everyone of the main characters has a clear desire and conflict that echos the themes present in the film. Perhaps none moreso than Davey Jones who is a reflection of not only Bootstrap Bill, but Will and Elizabeth's relationship as well.

They are there to see, you just have to get past the spectical (which there is plenty of) to see it. So I would argue that Elliot and Rossio didn't write an ADD movie at all, they wrote one that caters to both the ADD crowd and those who are willing to look a bit deeper than a giant, ship eating squid and see the layers underneath.

Is there a lot of dreck put out by big hollywood blockbusters? Absolutely. But there are plenty of terrible independant movies as well. Some with great special effects and some with none.

I haven't seen the movie yet, and will wait till it comes out on DVD. But you guys are being overly critical, IMO.

ITS A !@#$ING MOVIE.

Just like anything else, some of you over analyze everything, rather than enjoy.

Pathetic. And I mean that in the nicest way. :doh:

I haven't seen the movie yet, and will wait till it comes out on DVD. But you guys are being overly critical, IMO.

ITS A !@#$ING MOVIE.

Just like anything else, some of you over analyze everything, rather than enjoy.

Pathetic. And I mean that in the nicest way. :doh:

721017[/snapback]

But that's how I enjoy these things. Appreciating the technical aspects of what makes a good movie a good movie is how I enjoy movies (most things, really).