Jim Otto on LeCharles Bentley

Rico

Hardcore :P

Since most of the attention was directed toward Reggie Bush and his efforts to wear uniform No. 5 in his debut season with the New Orleans Saints, people forget that the former Southern California tailback and Heisman Trophy winner wasn't the only NFL player trying to change the league's numbering system this spring. A former Saints star, center LeCharles Bentley, who signed with his hometown Cleveland Browns this spring as an unrestricted free agent, had petitioned the NFL to allow him to wear No. 00. The proposed switch was meant to honor former Oakland Raiders center Jim Otto, a hero to Bentley when he was growing up, and the last man to wear the unusual number. It wasn't surprising, of course, when the NFL decided not to alter its numbering system for this season. What was surprising was the reaction by Otto this week to Bentley's proposal. Otto called the Bentley proposal "ridiculous," but that wasn't all he had to say about it. "To let him wear my number, one that I built into a legacy … all it takes is one ounce of (cocaine) up his nose and that legacy is gone," Otto said.  :P "I don't know who he is. I played 15 years with the Raiders. He played what, three or four years in New Orleans? What kind of legacy would he give double-zero? I don't think he should wear it and I don't think anyone in the NFL should wear it."
:)

You don't !@#$ with Jim Otto. :P

It's nice to know Jim Otto thinks so much of himself - and so little of a person he doesn't even know. He was a great player but it's a damn number and that means it's even less of a reason to say something about illegal drug use from Bentley.

Dick.

"I don't know who he is. I played 15 years with the Raiders. He played what, three or four years in New Orleans? What kind of legacy would he give double-zero? I don't think he should wear it and I don't think anyone in the NFL should wear it."

And how does the oh-so-holy Otto believe Bentley should prove himself worthy of the double-oh? I mean, does a player have to be a 14-year vet with a bunch of Pro Bowls, etc., under his belt before being "worthy" of changing his number to 00?

Wow, Otto certainly is a self absorbed wad. Bentley is one of the best young linemen in the game and he calls him out over wanting to honor him. I don't think Otto has to worry about Bentley being his #1 fan anymore. His off the cuff remarks are really irresponsible to even throw out there. Of course he was a Raider...

It's nice to know Jim Otto thinks so much of himself - and so little of a person he doesn't even know.  He was a great player but it's a damn number and that means it's even less of a reason to say something about illegal drug use from Bentley.

Dick.

710376[/snapback]

Jim Otto was a warrior on the field.

Jim Otto today is a disillusioned McDonalds franchise owner who wallows in the past. Stuupid thing for him to say.

Holier than thou attitude, eh?  Jumping to conclusions w/ no facts to back them up, huh?  Overreacting to a minor issue, you say?

I wonder what username Otto uses on TBD...

710410[/snapback]

It is ridiculously easy to be holier than thou.

Another old player who is still disgruntled by the fact that a guy like LeBentley is making  millions while Otto was paid with beaver pelt.

710414[/snapback]

...and ended up crippled. Otto was the subject of a profile in the late 1970s that was positively chilling. My father, who was a big Otto fan (because he was Daryle Lamonica's center--my family fought the Kemp-Lamonica wars with a vendetta passion only Italians can understand) was nearly in tears while we watched Otto show how hard it was for him even to get out of bed. I will never forget that.

Thus one can see why he might be a tad bitter.....

Holier than thou attitude, eh?  Jumping to conclusions w/ no facts to back them up, huh?  Overreacting to a minor issue, you say?

I wonder what username Otto uses on TBD...

710410[/snapback]

Are you saying "Patty" represents a typical TBDer?

How dare he insult our saviour and the only player that could turn around this sorry franchise and single handedly win us a Super Bowl (well besides Hutch)

Otto's comments may have been a bit harsh, but its probably all he has left to be remembered by, being #00 and doesn't want someone else to take that away from him.

An "ounce of cocaine up his nose?"  :P Wow.

710460[/snapback]

Obviously Otto does not have much expeirence with blow. One ounce up your nose? In one sitting???? Maybe he's thinking about the scene in Scarface. Is that what he's suggesting LeCharles is into?

PTR

No. 00. The proposed switch was meant to honor former Oakland Raiders center Jim Otto, a hero to Bentley when he was growing up, and the last man to wear the unusual number.
I think Lenny P. dropped the ball again, cause I remember Ken Burrough with the Oilers wearing 00, & he played into the 1980's.