*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you seem to be knowledgeable bout this World cup stuff, what does Caps stand for when they show a player?

707326[/snapback]

haha, I was actually going to ask Mezza that :huh:

Caps indicate the number of times the player has represented his team...

707328[/snapback]

More specifically, it means the number of times a player has represented his/her team in international play I believe. Meazza will know for sure, but I think that's it.

They do not actually give caps, or headgear to players anymore, but I believe they once did so...

how come NHL Players can get hit in the face face with a puck and finish their shift but soccer players are tripped from behind and act as if they have been shot?

707331[/snapback]

That's what they are supposed to do. They are ususally trying to get the other player carded. Cards actually add up from game to game...

More specifically, it means the number of times a player has represented his/her team in international play I believe. Meazza will know for sure, but I think that's it.

They do not actually give caps, or headgear to players anymore, but I believe they once did so...

707333[/snapback]

Correct

how come NHL Players can get hit in the face face with a puck and finish their shift but soccer players are tripped from behind and act as if they have been shot?

707331[/snapback]

we had a guy last night who got hit in the face with a stick and he screamed bloody murder. I thought he lost an eye or something.

He stands up and he has a FULL face shield on... :huh::lol::lol::lol: What a tool.

Agreed-2 blown calls which would been penalty kicks for Ghana.  Italy is known for fixing games

707345[/snapback]

Add game-fixing to the list of reasons why soccer sucks. Corruption and cheating is part of soccer culture. The game can be too easily turned by shady officiating. I can't stand how the refs decide when the game ends.

PTR

707331[/snapback]

It depends on whether they are from latin America or Spain.

Watching the World Cup makes all the talk about "diving" in the Sabres-Canes series look quite silly in retrospect.

Here's an idea, soccer players. Get your ass off the ground and continue playing, okay?

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world ONLY because it is the cheapest to play. Requirements: one ball, one field...and lots of crying.

It depends on whether they are from latin America or Spain.

707401[/snapback]

Brazil does not have many divers. None in their current team, I believe.

The Germans have had some players who have would have beaten Greg Louganis (sp) to gold if they weren't too busy playing football. They seem to get three or four somersaults when falling from a three foot height, outstanding athleticism!!!

Diving is a real problem in football, and FIFA should actually make a real effort to get rid of it, with the technology they have with all the games being televised a few bans (eg: dived on camera = out of the tournament) would get rid of the problem in short order. They have managed to rid the game of a lot of foul play over the years, but never really gone all out against the diving in the sport.

Mind you Italy were easily the better team and deserved victory in their game. Defence looked dodgey, though, which is unusual for them.

Can't see the US making it through to the next round, a lack of worthwhile opponents in the qualification stages (apart from Mexico) time and again hurts them (Australia are in a similar situation, except their league provides even weaker opponents than the US gets).

707331[/snapback]

I agree. i had seeh hundred of NFL'ers or NHL'ers tear an ACL, or blow out a knee or ankle, and all they do is grab it. The kitty on the czech republic today looked like he got his leg caught in a combine with the way he was rolling and then thrashing around. Then he was STANDING on the sidelines during the 2nd half.

soccer players are whiny pussies.

I agree. i had seeh hundred of NFL'ers or NHL'ers tear an ACL, or blow out a knee or ankle, and all they do is grab it. The kitty on the czech republic today looked like he got his leg caught in a combine with the way he was rolling and then thrashing around. Then he was STANDING on the sidelines during the 2nd half.

soccer players are whiny pussies.

707438[/snapback]

Speaking of Brian Bellows... did you see this at The Sabres Report?

Warning: Language NSFW

http://www.cruel.com/weblog/18092/ice-commentary

you seem to be knowledgeable bout this World cup stuff, what does Caps stand for when they show a player?

707326[/snapback]

Appearances for the National team, includes qualification games during the year.

Agreed-2 blown calls which would been penalty kicks for Ghana.  Italy is known for fixing games

707345[/snapback]

hold on. Italy is known for fixing domestic league games. Fifa would never fix the world cup, it would kill them and provides no financial gain. I agree there was ONE incident where there should have been a penalty shot but with the way Ghana was shooting, it wouldn't have mattered.

hold on.  Italy is known for fixing domestic league games.  Fifa would never fix the world cup, it would kill them and provides no financial gain.  I agree there was ONE incident where there should have been a penalty shot but with the way Ghana was shooting, it wouldn't have mattered.

707459[/snapback]

I was inferring to the domestic games and made my comment tongue in cheek. Essien on a penalty shot- yes it would of mattered

I was inferring to the domestic games and made my comment tongue in cheek.  Essien on a penalty shot- yes it would of mattered

707460[/snapback]

The way they were shooting, the ball would have went over the net. :)

I'm happy we got through this hurdle, but I don't think the US will be a pushover. Nesta was fantastic.

That's what they are supposed to do. They are ususally trying to get the other player carded. Cards actually add up from game to game...

707335[/snapback]

That's another reason to watch the paint. These guys are bigger whiners than the NBA players.

Was in a Irish pub with my wife last weekend and they were showing highlights.  These guys are nuts.  I'm suprised the NFL doesn't recruit some of these goons.

707480[/snapback]

I don't understand the rules. Maybe because I never bothered to learn them. Maybe if the Bills ever move to LA, i'll switch to Rugby :)

the fix is in...Ghana players are getting killed in the box and NO CALLS...

707336[/snapback]

The first could have been a penalty. The second player had he not tried to fly through the two players might have gotten the penalty.

Mind you Italy were easily the better team and deserved victory in their game. Defence looked dodgey, though, which is unusual for them.

707417[/snapback]

Nesta played flawless. Grosso made one mistake.

I wouldn't say dodgy, I would say exceptional :)

Holy crap, what an end to this game....the Poland keeper is standing on his head under a ton of heat from the Germans. They go to the last minute of the game and Germany puts two balls off the crossbar back to back, and then a goal is waved off by an offsides penalty. Then just when Poland seems to have survived, Germany comes back and puts one in the back of the net for the win......amazing!

Holy crap, what an end to this game....the Poland keeper is standing on his head under a ton of heat from the Germans. They go to the last minute of the game and Germany puts two balls off the crossbar back to back, and then a goal is waved off by an offsides penalty. Then just when Poland seems to have survived, Germany comes back and puts one in the back of the net for the win......amazing!

708449[/snapback]

And yet my paint has been dry for hours and I've moved on to better things. :D

708449[/snapback]

Great game! I have a bunch of friends from Ecuador so I am happy for them that Germany won. Spain looked awesome today! I have watched every game and I would have to say IMO Spain and Czech Republic have looked the best so far. Germany looks tough, as do England and Italy. Brazil looked really beatable yesterday. Should be wide open. Amazing how many soccer haters post in these threads that they hate soccer- like we give a !@#$. Dont like soccer dont watch it. I know I dont post how much I hate Lost or American Idol- I choose to ignore them. I digress- Go USA! Start Eddie Johnson and get Beasley the !@#$ out of the lineup! Move Landon to midfield and lets play with some passion this time!

Then what are you doing hanging out in this thread?  :D

708482[/snapback]

I heard someone yell "GOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL!!!" nine times and I thought it was an exciting period of playoff hockey. Then I realized it was three world cups games.

I heard someone yell "GOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL!!!" nine times and I thought it was an exciting period of playoff hockey.  Then I realized it was three world cups games.

708488[/snapback]

:D

Don't you have some banks to rob :D