706229[/snapback]

lol....why do you hate him?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol....why do you hate him?

706232[/snapback]

I don't know, i guess i just despise the country in general. :lol: I have nothing against Nick in England though :lol:

I actually don't wanna see any of the other powerhouses be successful this year. It's time for the azzurri to shine :doh:

Well he is insanely fast.  The guy is like under 200 pounds.  If he has a good set up man to feed him the ball, he will put it in the net.

706226[/snapback]

Nope - Crouch the 6'7" monster is not the fast one. He does have exceptional touch for such a big player. Not such a powerful headerer of the ball as you might imagine but because of his very height he can get balls that others will not be able to reach. An excellent player to have a fast player play off of (which is what England will have Owen do) or to have as a lone striker to hold the ball for midfielders coming up into support.

Had a good year with Liverpool (who he just joined), scored plenty of goals in the second half of the season but had a lot of good games setting up goals and opportunities for his team mates.

By the time he took the Penalty England were 5-0 up in a friendly - the miss was down to him not really taking it seriously enough - he learnt his leason I think (when he realised that he missed a golden opportunity for a hatrick he was gutted, but his last goal made him feel a lot better).

Good awareness, the last goal he scored was very similar to one he scored against Hungary with a nice turn and unstoppable shot right by the post. He is certainly in form at the moment.

Mr Insanely fast is a young player by the name of Theo Walcott, who 'plays' for ARSEnal. Last year he did not get to play as he is behind T Henry in the pecking order but he is regarded as an exceptional talent who is quite possibly the fastest player in England right now. Good skills, attitude and not a bad 'football' brain either. Actually, compared to most other footballers his non-football brain is pretty good as well (listening to half the England players when they speak (Beckham, Rooney, J. Cole and others) they appear to have had a lobotomy at some stage in their careers).

Well Rooney is a total Chav, so he does have a point.

I don't really mind who wins, as long as it is not Italy.... :lol:

706238[/snapback]

I don't know, Rooney reminds me of your typical hooligan type. You guys should adopt Cassano, he would fit perfectly into the team :lol:

Well Rooney is a total Chav, so he does have a point.

I don't really mind who wins, as long as it is not Italy.... :lol:

706238[/snapback]

Man, I need to find a country that I can hate so that this will be as much fun for me as it is for you two, LOL.....

You guys know a lot more about Rooney than I do.....all I know is that I've been watching the Man U classics on Fox Soccer Net, and the guy is an animal. I don't get the sense that he's the fastest guy out there, but he's AMAZING in space and he can create a shot very effectively. That's one aspect I think is lacking among the US players, and it's partly why I was hoping Freddy Adu would make the team. With the exception of Landon Donovan, I just don't see anyone on the US really able to create his own shot. I think teams with strong defenses will pose a match-up problem for them. Thankfully we're pretty strong on defense ourselves, but we still need to put the ball in the goal.

Man, I need to find a country that I can hate so that this will be as much fun for me as it is for you two, LOL.....

You guys know a lot more about Rooney than I do.....all I know is that I've been watching the Man U classics on Fox Soccer Net, and the guy is an animal. I don't get the sense that he's the fastest guy out there, but he's AMAZING in space and he can create a shot very effectively. That's one aspect I think is lacking among the US players, and it's partly why I was hoping Freddy Adu would make the team. With the exception of Landon Donovan, I just don't see anyone on the US really able to create his own shot. I think teams with strong defenses will pose a match-up problem for them. Thankfully we're pretty strong on defense ourselves, but we still need to put the ball in the goal.

706241[/snapback]

Rooney is probably our most gifted player since Gascoigne in the early 90s (before Gazza decided to go dancing with a broken leg......), he might also be the dumbest since Gascoigne (but he has plenty of competition there!).

There are a good number of creative talents on this England team, out of the players that are likely to play today both fullbacks, the entire midfield and Crouch have pedigre going forward and creating goalscoring opportunities, whilst Owen is still super quick. England should win comfortably, but with football you never know!

England have a lot of talented players at the moment, and the midfield is stacked. The only real issue I have with the team, and England in general, is with our forwards. There are only four in the squad. Rooney and Owen are both coming off of injuries and Theo Walcott has hardly played. That leaves Crouch as the sole, fit and tested striker. Not good. But fortunately he could play on his own up front with the midfield depth England has there are plenty of good players able to come off of the bench (in fact half the England bench would have started on almost any England team since 1970!).

As far as hating other teams are concerned I only really do not want two teams to win. Argentina and Germany. Argentina because they not only have the entire cheating aspects of football down to a fine art but it is almost regarded as being as good a skill as the ability to actually kick a ball. The Germans over the years have been notorious for gamesmanship as well. I expect cheating to some degree (sadly) it just seems these two have been consistantly and thoroughly rotten in the way they play over the years.

If Italy get their arse in gear they can be good to watch, but all too often they are so mind numbingly negative in their play it has a strong soporific effect. I do not mind strong and good defensive play (it is half the game), just the Italians sometimes seem to think 1-0 is a safe result and so frequently end up paying for it against worse teams.

You could always go out and hate Iran.......after all they are in this tournament as well.........

Rooney is probably our most gifted player since Gascoigne in the early 90s (before Gazza decided to go dancing with a broken leg......), he might also be the dumbest since Gascoigne (but he has plenty of competition there!).

There are a good number of creative talents on this England team, out of the players that are likely to play today both fullbacks, the entire midfield and Crouch have pedigre going forward and creating goalscoring opportunities, whilst Owen is still super quick. England should win comfortably, but with football you never know!

England have a lot of talented players at the moment, and the midfield is stacked. The only real issue I have with the team, and England in general, is with our forwards. There are only four in the squad. Rooney and Owen are both coming off of injuries and Theo Walcott has hardly played. That leaves Crouch as the sole, fit and tested striker. Not good. But fortunately he could play on his own up front with the midfield depth England has there are plenty of good players able to come off of the bench (in fact half the England bench would have started on almost any England team since 1970!).

As far as hating other teams are concerned I only really do not want two teams to win. Argentina and Germany. Argentina because they not only have the entire cheating aspects of football down to a fine art but it is almost regarded as being as good a skill as the ability to actually kick a ball. The Germans over the years have been notorious for gamesmanship as well. I expect cheating to some degree (sadly) it just seems these two have been consistantly and  thoroughly rotten in the way they play over the years.

If Italy get their arse in gear they can be good to watch, but all too often they are so mind numbingly negative in their play it has a strong soporific effect. I do not mind strong and good defensive play (it is half the game), just the Italians sometimes seem to think 1-0 is a safe result and so frequently end up paying for it against worse teams.

You could always go out and hate Iran.......after all they are in this tournament as well.........

706247[/snapback]

I appreciate you posting your take on all this....it really helps me feel more connected to what's going on in the game. I learn a lot from guys like you, Meazza, Nick, Pete, and the others who enjoy talking "proper football" on here :lol:

I didn't realize that Iran had qualified until a week or two ago when I was going over the groupings.....I guess I'll have to go with Iran and France as the teams I hate the most, lol.

Not sure if anyone is watching, but this Argentina v. Ivory Coast game is off to a blazing start....all sorts of action with a touch of controversy.

Not sure if anyone is watching, but this Argentina v. Ivory Coast game is off to a blazing start....all sorts of action with a touch of controversy.

706387[/snapback]

Unfortunately I'm working, but I'm off on Monday so i can watch Czech-USA and Italy-Ghana ;)

Unfortunately I'm working, but I'm off on Monday so i can watch Czech-USA and Italy-Ghana ;)

706410[/snapback]

I'm working on both Mon and Wed, so I'll miss USA/Chech and Pol/Ger.....oh well, thank God for DVR :lol:

That sucks... isn't there a tv at the hospital you work at. ;)

706469[/snapback]

Yeah, but that's the problem....It's pretty rare that I get any sort of down time....it's usually 12 hrs of runnin' when I work a day shift, which I'll be doing this week. I'm actually hoping everyone I come across is too messed up to care about soccer so that I can watch it from scratch when I get home, lol.

Yeah, but that's the problem....It's pretty rare that I get any sort of down time....it's usually 12 hrs of runnin' when I work a day shift, which I'll be doing this week. I'm actually hoping everyone I come across is too messed up to care about soccer so that I can watch it from scratch when I get home, lol.

706474[/snapback]

I understand. Personally, I see this as the last world cup I will get to enjoy where I still have some sort of freedom from work. I can pretty much take off whenever I want but it will reflect on my pay. After this summer, I will most likely be working full time and will not have the freedom I have now. I am going to miss some games but none of Italy, I can not and will not ;)

I understand.  Personally, I see this as the last world cup I will get to enjoy where I still have some sort of freedom from work.  I can pretty much take off whenever I want but it will reflect on my pay.  After this summer, I will most likely be working full time and will not have the freedom I have now.  I am going to miss some games but none of Italy, I can not and will not ;)

706476[/snapback]

I hear ya there. I only work three days per week since I work long shifts, and usually I can adjust my schedule as I see fit. But I just signed up into a residency program and I'm at the mercy of my preceptor for the next few weeks. Once I get back on to nights next week I'll be good to go....I think Mondays' game is the only one I'll miss of the US.

I'm really interested to see how Italy does against Ghana.....I'm almost as excited for that game as I am the US/Chech game, lol

I hear ya there. I only work three days per week since I work long shifts, and usually I can adjust my schedule as I see fit. But I just signed up into a residency program and I'm at the mercy of my preceptor for the next few weeks. Once I get back on to nights next week I'll be good to go....I think Mondays' game is the only one I'll miss of the US.

I'm really interested to see how Italy does against Ghana.....I'm almost as excited for that game as I am the US/Chech game, lol

706493[/snapback]

All of my friends except one of my closest friends said that Ghana will win 2-0. I have never seen Italian fans so lacking in confidence for the boys in blue.

I seriously hope that Czech thrashes USA so they will be so down that Italy will thrash them as well ;) I just hope that this wc will go better than the last. If not, I was never meant to be a sports fan :lol:

All of my friends except one of my closest friends said that Ghana will win 2-0.  I have never seen Italian fans so lacking in confidence for the boys in blue. 

I seriously hope that Czech thrashes USA so they will be so down that Italy will thrash them as well :lol:  I just hope that this wc will go better than the last.  If not, I was never meant to be a sports fan :lol:

706495[/snapback]

Wow, I think I underestimated how serious this is for you, lol....If you want to thrash the US, I'd actually be rooting for us to beat the Czechs....If the Czechs kick our asses, we're going to be looking to take it out on someone ;)

Wow, I think I underestimated how serious this is for you, lol....If you want to thrash the US, I'd actually be rooting for us to beat the Czechs....If the Czechs kick our asses, we're going to be looking to take it out on someone  ;)

706497[/snapback]

The first wc i watched was with my dad in 1990. Italy lost to Argentina and Maradona scored the winning penalty shot in the semi-final in the stadium he plays in Napoli. Since then, I fell in love with the sport and the Italian national squad. In the section of Montreal that I live, it is mostly dominated by an Italian community. As a result, when Italy wins, everyone goes nuts honking with their flags all day. I care more about Italy than i do the Bills, but not by much. :lol:

The first wc i watched was with my dad in 1990.  Italy lost to Argentina and Maradona scored the winning penalty shot in the semi-final in the stadium he plays in Napoli.  Since then, I fell in love with the sport and the Italian national squad.  In the section of Montreal that I live, it is mostly dominated by an Italian community.  As a result, when Italy wins, everyone goes nuts honking with their flags all day.  I care more about Italy than i do the Bills, but not by much.  ;)

706513[/snapback]

That's interesting....I had no idea there were that many Italians in Quebec. That's really cool you had that experience with your dad, too. My dad coached my soccer teams when I was a kid, so it's special to me in that way, too.

I was just looking at the schedule and I see that Brazil is playing on Tuesday, so I don't feel quite as bad about working on Monday now, lol. If the Czechs are banged up, I'm more looking forward to the game against you guys anyway. I think we play you next Saturday, right? That's going to rock :lol: Hopefully we'll both be 1-0 goign into it to keep it all the more interesting.

That's interesting....I had no idea there were that many Italians in Quebec. That's really cool you had that experience with your dad, too. My dad coached my soccer teams when I was a kid, so it's special to me in that way, too.

I was just looking at the schedule and I see that Brazil is playing on Tuesday, so I don't feel quite as bad about working on Monday now, lol. If the Czechs are banged up, I'm more looking forward to the game against you guys anyway. I think we play you next Saturday, right? That's going to rock :lol: Hopefully we'll both be 1-0 goign into it to keep it all the more interesting.

706516[/snapback]

There are not many Italians in Quebec, only in Montreal ;)

Game 2 is on the 22nd at 3PM EST. It should be a nice game. Good luck with them Czechs.

There are not many Italians in Quebec, only in Montreal ;) 

Game 2 is on the 22nd at 3PM EST.  It should be a nice game.  Good luck with them Czechs.

706518[/snapback]

Good, if it's at 3pm then the chances of both of us actually being awake are good LOL

Good, if it's at 3pm then the chances of both of us actually being awake are good LOL

706519[/snapback]

I will be awake. How I will be feeling will probably be the reflection of Monday's game.

I will be awake.  How I will be feeling will probably be the reflection of Monday's game.

706523[/snapback]

I don't know anything about Ghana, other than the fact that someone was saying how every World Cup there is usually one surprise African team. I thought Ivory Coast was looking good today, but they couldn't score. Maybe Ghana will sh-- the bed and it will be an easy 3pts for both of us. It will be a lot more fun the rest of the way if we can both come out of our group and send Ghana and the Czechs home ;)

I don't know anything about Ghana, other than the fact that someone was saying how every World Cup there is usually one surprise African team. I thought Ivory Coast was looking good today, but they couldn't score. Maybe Ghana will sh-- the bed and it will be an easy 3pts for both of us. It will be a lot more fun the rest of the way if we can both come out of our group and send Ghana and the Czechs home  ;)

706527[/snapback]

Ghana has 3 players that play in European leagues. That on its own will be tough. They have one dude, Stephen Appiah who has a lot of talent. He used to play for Juventus. Not sure where he is now.

Oh thanks, I guess I will go crawl back under my rock now....... :lol:

706237[/snapback]

Come stand on top of mine. ;)

I'm pulling for England to win the whole thing. Yeah, yeah...I'm American. But I also recognize America winning the World Cup would be like the Mighty Ducks winning the Stanley Cup....it's just not right. I've got more English in my ancestry than anything else so I stick with them.

One thing that kind of sucks about the WC in the US is that there is pretty lackluster coverage. I ended up watching Argentina-Ivory Coast on DTV channel 402, with the commentary in spanish. Looked like Argentina got screwed out of a goal in the first half...

One thing that kind of sucks about the WC in the US is that there is pretty lackluster coverage. I ended up watching Argentina-Ivory Coast on DTV channel 402, with the commentary in spanish. Looked like Argentina got screwed out of a goal in the first half...

706548[/snapback]

Isn't ESPN offering the whole schedule on HD? That's what I heard on ESPN radio. Maybe it's only US games.

Isn't ESPN offering the whole schedule on HD?  That's what I heard on ESPN radio.  Maybe it's only US games.

706549[/snapback]

I think they show a couple of games, unless you purchase a package. I don't have enough time to invest in it since match times are all over the place...

I think they show a couple of games, unless you purchase a package. I don't have enough time to invest in it since match times are all over the place...

706554[/snapback]

Match times are 11am EST and 3pm EST usually. Sportsnet is also showing every game.

706554[/snapback]

ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2 are broadcasting every game, all of them in HD. I can't see the ESPN2 ones in HD cause I only have regular ESPN2...but the ABC and ESPN ones I can watch in HD ;)

ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2 are broadcasting every game, all of them in HD. I can't see the ESPN2 ones in HD cause I only have regular ESPN2...but the ABC and ESPN ones I can watch in HD  ;)

706605[/snapback]

Watch out for Argentina. They left Javier Zanetti, Veron, Walter Samuel back at home, and benched Pablo Aimar and still managed to play strong. The coach made the tough move and took out all the "cancers" of the team.

Watch out for Argentina.  They left Javier Zanetti, Veron, Walter Samuel back at home, and benched Pablo Aimar and still managed to play strong.  The coach made the tough move and took out all the "cancers" of the team.

706607[/snapback]

Yep, they looked pretty good against a team that was giving them all they wanted. They'll definitely be an interesting team to watch

Great game by the Dutch -- although the gave me a few scares at the end.  Robben was certainly the "man of the match."

706655[/snapback]

Dang, I pulled a Meazza and slept through the game....hopefully the next two will be good ;)