*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang, I pulled a Meazza and slept through the game....hopefully the next two will be good :lol:

706659[/snapback]

I can't wake up anymore. I better have 3 alarm clocks ready to wake me up for the US game ;)

Argentina has looked the most complete side thus far. Riquelme is a maestro on the ball and pulled the strings beautifully in the game. It's a shame that 95% of north american sports fans can't see the beauty in his game.

Will be interesting to see if Messi, when healthy, replaces Saviola. Sorin was wonderful in defence.

Quite frankly, Holland slightly dissappointed in the game. Other than Robben, the team didn't show alot of creativity. Still a very skillful side, but will need to show more if they are to reach their goals.

Ivory Coast - I wouldn't be surprised at all if they win their next two and advance.

The Chelsea players are all getting off to good world cups with goals by Drogba, Crespo(my golden boot selection), and Robben.

Nice to see CONCAF with one win and a tie and but one loss. (I think the second one will come with US vs Czech...but it's soccer, I could be surprised!)

One more game to go today...then off to soccer practice. CYA.

What a great finish by Mexico....that third goal was AWESOME.

And you talk about a great example of a game that is entertaining with little scoring? The first half of the Portugal - Angola match was maybe the most fun 45 mins of soccer I've seen so far. You had a shot in the first few seconds of the game roll right across the mouth of the goal, a beautiful move by Figo (Por) to go by an Angola defender and get an assist, a crazy Angolan attempting TWO bicycle kicks (second one had potential), Christian Ronaldo with a beautiful header off the crossbar for a near goal, and a few other moments I'm forgetting. The second half wasn't quite as good, but wow...what a start to that match.

Don't mix politics and sports.  ;)

706702[/snapback]

I have to give the Iranian team credit...they showed a lot of class and sportsmanship. They aren't responsible for the decisions and comments of their government, you're exactly right.

But I'm still glad the Mexicans took a burrito to 'em :lol:

Argentina has looked the most complete side thus far. Riquelme is a maestro on the ball and pulled the strings beautifully in the game. It's a shame that 95% of north american sports fans can't see the beauty in his game.

I agree about Argentina, though Portugal was playing some AMAZING soccer in the first twenty mins or so....then they just got lazy, but apparently they have a history of doing that. But if they can get it together, that team is lightening quick and very dangerous. The score could have easily been 4-0 after the first 30 mins.

And you're right, it is a shame that more people don't appreciate the game more. I've watched all or part of every game so far, and there is some very good soccer being played. Some disappointing play, too, but that's to be expected. I think it's going to be a great round of 16 with some very exciting games.

I have to give the Iranian team credit...they showed a lot of class and sportsmanship. They aren't responsible for the decisions and comments of their government, you're exactly right.

But I'm still glad the Mexicans took a burrito to 'em :lol:

706763[/snapback]

Enough talk about the Mexicans... are you ready for tomorrow ;)

Enough talk about the Mexicans... are you ready for tomorrow ;)

706766[/snapback]

I'm so ready that I'm sitting here debating if I should swap Monday for Tuesday at work....I really want to see those games :lol:

I'm so ready that I'm sitting here debating if I should swap Monday for Tuesday at work....I really want to see those games :lol:

706769[/snapback]

I would. I can watch a taped game of a team I can't watch my team taped. It must be live ;)

Tuesday has some nice games. Brazil - Croatia. Croatia is good. As well, France is playing Switzerland. I want to see every game Zidane plays since he is retiring after this tournament.

I would.  I can watch a taped game of a team I can't watch my team taped.  It must be live ;) 

Tuesday has some nice games.  Brazil - Croatia.  Croatia is good.  As well, France is playing Switzerland.  I want to see every game Zidane plays since he is retiring after this tournament.

706772[/snapback]

Yeah, that's my dilemma....I'd much rather tape the Tuesday games and see the ones tomorrow live :lol: You've got me all interested to see Italy play now, so this is partially your fault :lol:

Yeah, that's my dilemma....I'd much rather tape the Tuesday games and see the ones tomorrow live :lol:  You've got me all interested to see Italy play now, so this is partially your fault  :lol:

706773[/snapback]

One guy i'm interested in seeing is Daniele De Rossi. He plays in the midfield. Truly, this guy is a high character guy anyone would want on his team. A true Roman who played for 3 seasons at 30k Euros per year before he got his million dollar contract. ;)

One guy i'm interested in seeing is Daniele De Rossi.  He plays in the midfield.  Truly, this guy is a high character guy anyone would want on his team.  A true Roman who played for 3 seasons at 30k Euros per year before he got his million dollar contract.  ;)

706774[/snapback]

Is he a diver like the rest of 'em? lol

Do you have any idea of Ghana plays like Angola? Angola has a forward who's off his rocker, man....he was entertaining as hell to watch. He launched a couple long rocket balls and went for a pair of bicycle kicks all in the first half. I love watching some of those African teams....they aren't always the most technically sound teams, but they are fun to watch!

Is he a diver like the rest of 'em? lol

Do you have any idea of Ghana plays like Angola? Angola has a forward who's off his rocker, man....he was entertaining as hell to watch. He launched a couple long rocket balls and went for a pair of bicycle kicks all in the first half. I love watching some of those African teams....they aren't always the most technically sound teams, but they are fun to watch!

706775[/snapback]

You mean Akwa? I saw him too, he kept trying to score a spectacular one. So far there hasn't been a major upset... this has me worried ;)

You mean Akwa?  I saw him too, he kept trying to score a spectacular one.  So far there hasn't been a major upset... this has me worried :lol:

706779[/snapback]

Yeah, that's the guy....his first name was like FAbian or Fabrice or something, right? They said he wasn't on a club team right now, which surprised me....I'd sign him up just to watch him go nuts ;)

Is Italy not favored against Ghana???

Yeah, that's the guy....his first name was like FAbian or Fabrice or something, right? They said he wasn't on a club team right now, which surprised me....I'd sign him up just to watch him go nuts :lol:

Is Italy not favored against Ghana???

706780[/snapback]

Yes, exactly. Usually in these tournaments, there is the first round upset...

I do not want it to be tomorrow ;)

What a great finish by Mexico....that third goal was AWESOME.

And you talk about a great example of a game that is entertaining with little scoring? The first half of the Portugal - Angola match was maybe the most fun 45 mins of soccer I've seen so far. You had a shot in the first few seconds of the game roll right across the mouth of the goal, a beautiful move by Figo (Por) to go by an Angola defender and get an assist, a crazy Angolan attempting TWO bicycle kicks (second one had potential), Christian Ronaldo with a beautiful header off the crossbar for a near goal, and a few other moments I'm forgetting. The second half wasn't quite as good, but wow...what a start to that match.

706761[/snapback]

And that was the part of the game I missed. :lol: I went to go get something to eat. Should have waited. ;)

I was a bit disapointed with Portugal as well. They missed Deco. I was surprised the pace Figo showed (he's about 34) to set up the first goal. C.Ronaldo will likely miss the first game of the elimation round if the three yellow rule is in effect. He picked up one this game and he seems like he's ready to have a temper tantrum.

Overall, Portugal didn't show me enough to really be impressed.

Glad to see the Mexico result! Hopefully, the Borgetti injury isn't serious.

I was a bit disapointed with Portugal as well. They missed Deco. I was surprised the pace Figo showed (he's about 34) to set up the first goal. C.Ronaldo will likely miss the first game of the elimation round if the three yellow rule is in effect. He picked up one this game and he seems like he's ready to have a temper tantrum.

Overall, Portugal didn't show me enough to really be impressed.

Glad to see the Mexico result! Hopefully, the Borgetti injury isn't serious.

706851[/snapback]

That Figo goal was sweet. That was absolute brilliance the way he feigned a shot, and then basically led himself, blew by the Angola defender, and made the cross. That guy is dangerous. I didn't realize Ronaldo had the reputation he does, but I was getting a kick out of his facial expressions. He seems to have a fair bit of talent, though, too. That header that he put off the crossbar was pretty slick. If they can harness whatever they were doing in the first part of that match, I don't want to play them.

Well folks just a few hours to go before the USA takes the field. ;)

706853[/snapback]

I'm so psyched....I decided to work Tues instead of tomorrow so I can see the game. I hope it ends up being worth it!

That Figo goal was sweet. That was absolute brilliance the way he feigned a shot, and then basically led himself, blew by the Angola defender, and made the cross. That guy is dangerous. I didn't realize Ronaldo had the reputation he does, but I was getting a kick out of his facial expressions. He seems to have a fair bit of talent, though, too. That header that he put off the crossbar was pretty slick. If they can harness whatever they were doing in the first part of that match, I don't want to play them.

706857[/snapback]

What was up with the one guy on the Angola team that had a shaved head then just a little tuff of hair on his forehead. Looked silly. ;)

I see your really into soccer! ;)

706875[/snapback]

Yeah, I get pretty excited about the World Cup :lol:

What a great goal by Italy....Ghana was giving them all they wanted, but they just don't quite have the precision to put the ball in the net. So far this game is a lot like the Portugal/Angola match....both teams coming out swinging, lots of good action, but one team is just a bit more technically sound.

I've started to watch a few matches but realized I had more important thing to do.  If anyone wants to know how long it takes paint to dry just PM me.  I now have the answer.  :huh:

707280[/snapback]

I found jabbing ice picks in my testicles was slightly more exhilarating, and much less painful than the game...

I found jabbing ice picks in my testicles was slightly more exhilarating, and much less painful than the game...

707283[/snapback]

I wonder if Jack Bauer knows about that technique :huh:

707283[/snapback]

Sad part is that game was probably more exciting then 90% of the Bills games will be this year.

Sad part is that game was probably more exciting then 90% of the Bills games will be this year.

707310[/snapback]

I'm getting depressed now....thanks :huh: