*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

Pretty damn entertaining opener, Germany vs. Costa Rica. Six goals total, with two of them being AWESOME. Frings of Germany hit a 40 yarder late in the game that will be on highlight reels for years. The goalie had no chance at all.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty damn entertaining opener, Germany vs. Costa Rica. Six goals total, with two of them being AWESOME. Frings of Germany hit a 40 yarder late in the game that will be on highlight reels for years. The goalie had no chance at all.

705885[/snapback]

i wouldnt know...espn's soccer game cast refuses to refresh, so its still stuck on 85 minutes with the score 3-2 germany. fuggin espn.

i wouldnt know...espn's soccer game cast refuses to refresh, so its still stuck on 85 minutes with the score 3-2 germany. fuggin espn.

705887[/snapback]

That does suck....if it kicks in, though, it's worth the wait :lol: I thought Germany's first goal was a thing of beauty, but their last one was a damn ROCKET. This is a team that clearly knows how to put the ball on goal, and their shots are solid. That's the one thing I didn't see from the US in their friendlies. They were doing all sorts of fancy passing, but sometimes you just gotta rip it and keep the goalie honest.

705887[/snapback]

I think Fifa.com has an official up to the minute play by play of the game.

I can't wait for monday.

That does suck....if it kicks in, though, it's worth the wait :lol:  I thought Germany's first goal was a thing of beauty, but their last one was a damn ROCKET. This is a team that clearly knows how to put the ball on goal, and their shots are solid. That's the one thing I didn't see from the US in their friendlies. They were doing all sorts of fancy passing, but sometimes you just gotta rip it and keep the goalie honest.

705895[/snapback]

Germany's first TWO were beautiful. You won't see a more perfect play than their second.

Uh oh, I think some one beat you to it.  There is another thread over on the wall.  But this one looks more official.  :lol:

705897[/snapback]

I meant for this thread to be one where we can talk about the actual game play for the next few weeks. I didn't even see Tolstoy's thread on the wall, though lol

Germany's first TWO were beautiful.  You won't see a more perfect play than their second.

705912[/snapback]

I agree....I thought it was smart that (what's his name) pulled back and held off the cross, sent the ball back toward the top of the box, and then the other guy fed it over to Klose for the goal.

I think that ESPN Classic will have a replay of this match at 5PM East coast time...

705931[/snapback]

That's one of the things I love about soccer.....the majority of the matches are right at 2hrs viewing time, or even a little less than that, and you're seeing 90+ mins of game play w/in that 2 hrs.

I agree....I thought it was smart that (what's his name) pulled back and held off the cross, sent the ball back toward the top of the box, and then the other guy fed it over to Klose for the goal.

705930[/snapback]

Yeah...what's his name. The German right winger, who was open all friggin' day. I can understand letting someone get behind you once or twice...but for a whole 90 minutes plus? :lol:

It didn't help either, on that play, that Costa Rica's #12 was seriously dogging it. He was in position to cut off that pass to the center...he just couldn't be bothered. Hell, you could have put my flabby ass back there, and while I would have failed to disrupt the pass as well, I at least would have made an attempt... :lol:

Yeah...what's his name.  The German right winger, who was open all friggin' day.  I can understand letting someone get behind you once or twice...but for a whole 90 minutes plus?  :doh:

It didn't help either, on that play, that Costa Rica's #12 was seriously dogging it.  He was in position to cut off that pass to the center...he just couldn't be bothered.  Hell, you could have put my flabby ass back there, and while I would have failed to disrupt the pass as well, I at least would have made an attempt...  :lol:

705942[/snapback]

I was sort thinking the same thing about the Costa Ricans.....they seemed like a one-man team, with the majority of them playing with a seemingly defeatist attitude. I don't know if the early German goal took away their wind, or if they just felt overwhelmed playing against Germany, in Germany, in the opening match of the World Cup. Germany is a strong team, and one of my favorites, but I don't see them having that easy of a time beyond this match.

Now we get to see some POLACK BALL!!!! :lol:

Yeah...what's his name.  The German right winger, who was open all friggin' day.  I can understand letting someone get behind you once or twice...but for a whole 90 minutes plus?  :lol:

It didn't help either, on that play, that Costa Rica's #12 was seriously dogging it.  He was in position to cut off that pass to the center...he just couldn't be bothered.  Hell, you could have put my flabby ass back there, and while I would have failed to disrupt the pass as well, I at least would have made an attempt...  :lol:

705942[/snapback]

You do realize they were playing Costa Rica. If you think this is a defeatist attitude, wait till the sh------- teams play Brazil.

Did I say "defeatist attitude"?  I was just surprised at the lack of effort.  You can be a sh------- team and still try...

705972[/snapback]

Sorry I misread it.

Anyways it looks like this WC will be better than the disaster that was 2002.

I can't tell if Poland is drunk, hungover, or just plain slow.....Ecuador had a very clever goal off of a throw-in.

Wow, with the exception of maybe two players, Poland appears more uninspired than the Costa Ricans did :lol:

Was 2002 a disaster?  I know it was disaster in terms of viewers HERE...but that'll happen when you're showing games at 5am...

706030[/snapback]

Well it was a disaster for me. Anytime Korea knocks out your team, it's considered a disaster. I watched almost all the games, and the reffing was clearly very biased towards the home crowd.

Another problem was that the stands were nearly empty. They had to give free seats to the Asians to go see the games since a lot of Europeans didn't wanna travel to Japan/Korea.

The World Cups of USA, France, Italy went much better overall.

TY  ESPN Classic....I thought I heard the schedule correctly...

The first goal by Deutschland was sick....

706074[/snapback]

Yes Miroslav Klosse was a big reason why Germany reached the final in 2002 and will probably be the best player in Germany this year as well.

Well it was a disaster for me.  Anytime Korea knocks out your team, it's considered a disaster.  I watched almost all the games, and the reffing was clearly very biased towards the home crowd. 

706076[/snapback]

Did you SEE what those refs were calling against Costa Rica? Hideous. Costa Rica was getting called for any contact out there.

The Germans, on the other hand, could have taken brass knuckles to the Costa Ricans, for all the refs cared.

Did you SEE what those refs were calling against Costa Rica?  Hideous.  Costa Rica was getting called for any contact out there.

The Germans, on the other hand, could have taken brass knuckles to the Costa Ricans, for all the refs cared.

706103[/snapback]

Unfortunately I didn't wake up for the game. I know that sounds pathetic since the game was at 12pm. :lol:

I'm gonna keep a close eye on it though.

I have a feeling the refs are gonna be horrible vs the Italian national team. Already they are considered whiners, and after the scandal... who knows. :lol:

Did you SEE what those refs were calling against Costa Rica?  Hideous.  Costa Rica was getting called for any contact out there.

706103[/snapback]

What do you expect from a "game" that bases it's penalties on the same system Richard Simmons uses to get morbidly obese people to lose weight? Take this mustard card, you bad man. Don't make me use ketchup!

Soccer, a "game" whose claim to fame is its world class "athletes" run 4 miles in an hour and a half. Awesome. :lol:

TY  ESPN Classic....I thought I heard the schedule correctly...

The first goal by Deutschland was sick....

706074[/snapback]

Yeah it was....I thought it was interesting to hear how their head coach (who happens to live in California) was implementing American-based psychology into his strategy. Supposedly he took a lot of criticism for it from the German press, so it should be interesting to see how it pans out for them. Costa Rica wasn't exactly on their game today, but Germany still looked pretty dominant offensively. Can't wait to see England play tomorrow :lol:

705885[/snapback]

I watched some of the first game. The guy from Germany kicked the ball...then a guy from Costa Rica kicked the ball to his teamate, who lost it to a German guy...who kicked it out of bounds... :lol: ....I changed the channel.

PTR

Germans looked woeful in defence in the opener, and the Costa Ricans worse. The attacking players on both sides took full advantage of the headless chickens running around at the back (at times it looked like a masterclass in how NOT to defend).

Now the last goal - that was a thing of beauty. The new ball they are using at these finals encourages long range shots as it moves in the air and should goalkeepers all kinds of problems. An excellent goal.

The others - pah. Like I said the forwards took advantage of pitiable work from the back players. Nice strike on the opener, but what were the Costa Ricans thinking forcing a right footed player on the left flank inside???? Football 101 - you don't do it!

Second game - again neither team looked special. The Poles were far from great in getting to the World Cup, but fell asleep for most of the game and deserved to be beaten by the South Americans. Their lack of pace and movement made their attacking play pretty predictable and inneffective. Plus the Ecuadorians put in some great challenges to preserve their lead at the end.

Mind you I prefer watching bad defences rather than bad attacking players, at least you can get to see some goals after some nice attacking play.

Now to England - can Sven 'can I hold back my group of talented players any more with my tactics' manage to screw up the group games?' Eriksson be able to prevent England winning? Or will the England midifeld be able to carve their way through Paraguay? Mind you when your striker of the moment is about a foot taller than the defenders he is up against their could just be a goal or few in this for England.

I watched some of the first game.  The guy from Germany kicked the ball...then a guy from Costa Rica kicked the ball to his teamate, who lost it to a German guy...who kicked it out of bounds... :lol: ....I changed the channel.

PTR

706196[/snapback]

Thanks, I was hoping more people would come along and contribute absolutely nothing to the thread :lol:

Mind you when your striker of the moment is about a foot taller than the defenders he is up against their could just be a goal or few in this for England.

706208[/snapback]

I'm assuming you're talking about that 6'7" guy who was all over the field in England's last friendly a week or two ago - Mr. Roboto? I was pretty intrigued by the guy until I saw him take that penalty kick. Is he sincerely talented or did he just have a good game?

I'm assuming you're talking about that 6'7" guy who was all over the field in England's last friendly a week or two ago - Mr. Roboto?  I was pretty intrigued by the guy until I saw him take that penalty kick. Is he sincerely talented or did he just have a good game?

706223[/snapback]

Well he is insanely fast. The guy is like under 200 pounds. If he has a good set up man to feed him the ball, he will put it in the net.

Well he is insanely fast.  The guy is like under 200 pounds.  If he has a good set up man to feed him the ball, he will put it in the net.

706226[/snapback]

I'll be interested to see how he plays against Portugal. Seemed like he had a $.10 brain to me, but talent can go a long way toward offsetting that I suppose. I just hope Rooney is close to 100% by the elimination rounds.

I'll be interested to see how he plays against Portugal. Seemed like he had a $.10 brain to me, but talent can go a long way toward offsetting that I suppose. I just hope Rooney is close to 100% by the elimination rounds.

706228[/snapback]

I hate Rooney. It wouldn't bother me to see England go out early. :lol: