*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

I'm so damn psyched for this game it's not even funny....I think your team is clearly the favorite, but I'm hoping my fellow Germans can give you a strong match. You guys are clearly more balanced, but if Frings, Klose and Ballack are on their game then we should be able to keep pace.

for the record, I'm having some serious withdrawal today, too...It's been a great ride so far - better than I expected - and it sucks to have today and tomorrow with nothing to watch :doh:  I almost wish they were playing one game a day for the next four, but that would give the teams playing first an unfair advantage. Oh well....should be some awesome futbal on fri and saturday, though!

715320[/snapback]

Well we can't remove Germany's and Englands 7 day rest ;)

We'll beat them phuckers anyway.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Spaniards are racist phuckers.  They caught the coach saying to the players, "show those n***** how to play soccer."

715415[/snapback]

He called the French players n******??

"Alright, get out there and show those crepe eating n****** how to play!!

715552[/snapback]

So did you see the video I sent you. The heartbreaking defeat. Can you believe I had to watch that live.

715552[/snapback]

3/4ths of the French side is black. The Spanish coach was fined a couple years back for calling Henry a "black ****" to a Spanish striker to motivate him. After this Spanish fans have become notorious for making monkey sounds whenever a black opposing player touches the ball. Disgusting.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/WorldCup/...1658063-ap.html

So did you see the video I sent you.  The heartbreaking defeat.  Can you believe I had to watch that live.

715555[/snapback]

I couldn't get the damn thing to work....probably cause my computer is running on empty in terms of memory right now....I'll have to fire it up later. I'm sure it's a doozy, though lol

I couldn't get the damn thing to work....probably cause my computer is running on empty in terms of memory right now....I'll have to fire it up later. I'm sure it's a doozy, though lol

715563[/snapback]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Q-F6ZsL4Q...%202000%20final

Semi Final Look at the penalty shot #20 Totti took. His first appearance for Italy. What arrogance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxN0tMPqozA...%202000%20final

Final

3/4ths of the French side is black.  The Spanish coach was fined a couple years back for calling Henry a "black ****" to a Spanish striker to motivate him.  After this Spanish fans have become notorious for making monkey sounds whenever a black opposing player touches the ball.  Disgusting.

715562[/snapback]

3/4??? I remember Henry and one or two others, but it sure didn't seem like there were that many black guys on the team, wow.... That is a part of the game that is pretty disgusting, and I've really only seen a few of the pieces they've done on the problem of racism in soccer. I'm sure it's much worse than I realize. I had always thought Europe was more "civilized" and they didn't have the same sort of racism issues as we do in this country. Guess I couldn't have been more wrong.

3/4??? I remember Henry and one or two others, but it sure didn't seem like there were that many black guys on the team, wow.... That is a part of the game that is pretty disgusting, and I've really only seen a few of the pieces they've done on the problem of racism in soccer. I'm sure it's much worse than I realize. I had always thought Europe was more "civilized" and they didn't have the same sort of racism issues as we do in this country. Guess I couldn't have been more wrong.

715568[/snapback]

From the little I've read on the issue, I think it has to do with a lack of consciousness about the problem. Here race issues have been a huge deal for, well, 200 years.

It is pretty surprising how much of the French roster is black- Henry has caribbean parents, Vieira was born in Senegal and moved to france at like 8. But yeah, its French team that would be, in a traditional view, made up of first and second generation immigrants from their old colonies in Africa and the Caribbean.

Even Zidane himself has Algerian heritage.

From the little I've read on the issue, I think it has to do with a lack of consciousness about the problem.  Here race issues have been a huge deal for, well, 200 years. 

It is pretty surprising how much of the French roster is black- Henry has caribbean parents, Vieira was born in Senegal and moved to france at like 8.  But yeah, its French team that would be, in a traditional view, made up of first and second generation immigrants from their old colonies in Africa and the Caribbean. 

Even Zidane himself has Algerian heritage.

715617[/snapback]

wow....I guess that explains why I like their soccer team more than I do the rest of the country ;)

Growing up in the north, I think the racism issue is much more beneath the surface than it is down here in the South. Since moving down here there have been a few times when I've really been shocked at what has transpired right in front of me. I actually live in what used to be the georgia headquarters for the KKK....hence the reason I drive an hour into Atlanta to work at an inner city hospital as opposed to working around here. People need to immerse themselves in diverse surroundings. I grew up in an upper middle class environment, mostly around other white people. When I lived in Philly I began to make the effort to take my classes in North Philly at the main Temple campus instead of the suburban satellite campus which was five mins from my apartment. It was the greatest thing could have ever done, and I think more people need to do that. The fact of the matter is that people are interesting....and the more different they are from you, the more interesting they become, IMO. I know it falls on deaf ears, but at the center of racism is nothing but pure ignorance.

But the fact that the French team has to put up with all that crap makes me more of a fan....I hope they upset Brazil now.

Absolutely right.  I can't wait to see France v. Brazil - it should be an amazing game regardless of outcome.

715674[/snapback]

It definitely should.....If Ronaldo picks up from where he left off, and Ronaldhino (I always spell his name wrong....hell with it) shows up, france could be in trouble. I don't think anyone really expects them to beat the Brazilians, but I want to see some killer soccer anyway. This is going to be a great weekend of FUTBAL, BABY!!!

By the way, how much better is it when we have the World Cup to help us get a little closer to football season instead of just having to watch baseball for two damn months? I like having baseball there, and I love my Braves, but I hate when it's the only thing on. By the time the WC is over, we are only a few weeks out of training camp, then comes the preseason games, and then BAM!....opening day!!

It definitely should.....If Ronaldo picks up from where he left off, and Ronaldhino (I always spell his name wrong....hell with it) shows up, france could be in trouble. I don't think anyone really expects them to beat the Brazilians, but I want to see some killer soccer anyway. This is going to be a great weekend of FUTBAL, BABY!!!

715695[/snapback]

Well, I'm rooting for the upset. I think the French have a decent chance to pull it off because of their very strong defense and increasingly confident attack - Ribery is a challenge with his speed and handling and finally got a goal last game - he's very dangerous on the wing and creates a lot of opportunities. But yeah, Brazil is considered the best in the world for a good reason. I can't wait.

As for the nice distraction before football season, I totally agree. Its way too early for me to care about baseball and there just isn't anything else usually. Its been since '98 since I really was into the WC like this year. '02 was just too goofy with the crazy time differences - though the US run was great to follow, but I felt like I never got to watch the games until maybe the last two.

Well, I'm rooting for the upset.  I think the French have a decent chance to pull it off because of their very strong defense and increasingly confident attack - Ribery is a challenge with his speed and handling and finally got a goal last game - he's very dangerous on the wing and creates a lot of opportunities.  But yeah, Brazil is considered the best in the world for a good reason.  I can't wait.

As for the nice distraction before football season, I totally agree.  Its way too early for me to care about baseball and there just isn't anything else usually.  Its been since '98 since I really was into the WC like this year.  '02 was just too goofy with the crazy time differences - though the US run was great to follow, but I felt like I never got to watch the games until maybe the last two.

715720[/snapback]

lol, same here...in fact, I was watching the US play in a WC match the morning of my wedding day.....I remember having some serious cold feet and thinking it was perhaps the last time I would be able to watch sports in peace.....Now that I'm divorced, I should have listened to my instincts ;)

lol, same here...in fact, I was watching the US play in a WC match the morning of my wedding day.....I remember having some serious cold feet and thinking it was perhaps the last time I would be able to watch sports in peace.....Now that I'm divorced, I should have listened to my instincts  ;)

715723[/snapback]

:doh: live and learn I guess

;)  live and learn I guess

715731[/snapback]

You got that right!

Needless to say, I was pretty determined to see as many matches from this WC as possible :doh:

3/4ths of the French side is black.  The Spanish coach was fined a couple years back for calling Henry a "black ****" to a Spanish striker to motivate him.  After this Spanish fans have become notorious for making monkey sounds whenever a black opposing player touches the ball.  Disgusting.

715562[/snapback]

Aragones is a nutcase. He was asked about the Henry incident before the match with France and his reply was bizarre:

" I have black, Gypsy and Japanese friends, including one whose job is to determine the sex of poultry." ???!!!

Aragones

Aragones is a nutcase. He was asked about the Henry incident before the match with France and his reply was bizarre:

" I have black, Gypsy and Japanese friends, including one whose job is to determine the sex of poultry." ???!!!

Aragones

715749[/snapback]

I love how the minute someone is accused of racism or bigotry all their gay and minority friends come out of the woodwork ;)

and they all drive "Fit's". Amazing!! ;)

715754[/snapback]

I'm gonna have to look up this car on the web, cause it sure is getting a lot of press here at TBD, lol