*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good night sweetheart. Zizzou with the capper. That was fuggin sweet...

714911[/snapback]

Funny thing. One of the most free flowing games I've seen at this WC and the ref is Italian. 2 yellows, no reds.

Funny thing.  One of the most free flowing games I've seen at this WC and the ref is Italian.  2 yellows, no reds.

714915[/snapback]

True, but he did stumble a bit there at the end and dove to the ground... :lol:

geesh, I can't believe these french bastards are actually getting me to root for them, lol. It was nice to see Zidane get that goal in the end....I can't wait to see them play Brazil now....I don't think there will be an upset, but I think t has the makings of a helluva match!

geesh,  I can't believe these french bastards are actually getting me to root for them, lol. It was nice to see Zidane get that goal in the end....I can't wait to see them play Brazil now....I don't think there will be an upset, but I think t has the makings of a helluva match!

714919[/snapback]

As I was telling olivier in france, they are an underrated team.

True, but he did stumble a bit there at the end and dove to the ground...

:lol::)

When you can run backwards as good as the French you're bound to be good at soccer.

714956[/snapback]

:lol:

Yesterday's Spain vs. France was awesome! One of the best games so far. Both teams actually trying to win with skill, not dives and BS. Also, the referee did a great job of communicating with the players instead of just reaching for the yellow card every time.

I was rooting for France and was pleasantly surprised they were able to pull it out. Before now, it did not seem that France was capable of beating a team like Spain, who I thought really had a shot at winning it all. If they play like this on Saturday against Brazil, it will be an amazing game.

The other Saturday game, ENG vs. POR, will be great too. I think this one will be a fight. England will need to step it up to beat Portugal, who has been winning by sheer strength of will it seems. I would love to see Rooney's efforts finally pay off with a goal or two.

Yesterday's Spain vs. France was awesome!  One of the best games so far.  Both teams actually trying to win with skill, not dives and BS.  Also, the referee did a great job of communicating with the players instead of just reaching for the yellow card every time.

I was rooting for France and was pleasantly surprised they were able to pull it out.  Before now, it did not seem that France was capable of beating a team like Spain, who I thought really had a shot at winning it all.  If they play like this on Saturday against Brazil, it will be an amazing game.

The other Saturday game, ENG vs. POR, will be great too.  I think this one will be a fight.  England will need to step it up to beat Portugal, who has been winning by sheer strength of will it seems.  I would love to see Rooney's efforts finally pay off with a goal or two.

715289[/snapback]

How'd you like the crowd booing the French National anthem?

Classy, eh? ;)

Soccer withdrawal today....I'll have to go back and watch some of the matches I taped that I haven't watched.

Brazil.....be afraid. Yes, you are the favourites but with game winners - Henry, Ribery, Trezeguet, Zizou, Vieria ...this team seems to be shifting up a few gears.

Arg vs. Germany - I haven't been this nervous about a sports event for a long time. Go Arg. I think if both teams play to their maximum potential, Arg will win fairly comfortably. But I know Germany will have a high work rate, take away the midfield and really give the South Americans no time on the ball. Could be an epic battle.

The rest of the games....all very tantalizing...I can't wait! And I have Friday off!

Soccer withdrawal today....I'll have to go back and watch some of the matches I taped that I haven't watched.

Brazil.....be afraid. Yes, you are the favourites but with game winners - Henry, Ribery, Trezeguet, Zizou, Vieria ...this team seems to be shifting up a few gears.

Arg vs. Germany - I haven't been this nervous about a sports event for a long time. Go Arg. I think if both teams play to their maximum potential, Arg will win fairly comfortably. But I know Germany will have a high work rate, take away the midfield and really give the South Americans no time on the ball. Could be an epic battle.

The rest of the games....all very tantalizing...I can't wait! And I have Friday off!

715313[/snapback]

I'm so damn psyched for this game it's not even funny....I think your team is clearly the favorite, but I'm hoping my fellow Germans can give you a strong match. You guys are clearly more balanced, but if Frings, Klose and Ballack are on their game then we should be able to keep pace.

for the record, I'm having some serious withdrawal today, too...It's been a great ride so far - better than I expected - and it sucks to have today and tomorrow with nothing to watch ;) I almost wish they were playing one game a day for the next four, but that would give the teams playing first an unfair advantage. Oh well....should be some awesome futbal on fri and saturday, though!

Really?  I missed that part.  What a bunch of losers.  I'm glad France gave them something to really feel sour about.

715294[/snapback]

French players upset after anthem jeered

By Wire services

Published June 28, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HANOVER, Germany - French players reacted angrily to whistles from the crowd during the French national anthem before Tuesday's game.

After Spain's national anthem was played without incident, France's players looked on angrily as La Marseillaise was jeered.

"It's shameful to whistle during La Marseillaise," forward Thierry Henry said. "I have rarely heard people whistling a national anthem at a football match."

Lilian Thuram, one of the most vocal singers on the French team during the anthem, turned his head toward the section of Spanish fans whistling and appeared to mutter angrily.

Eric Abidal said the incident motivate the French players.

"This gave us even more desire," he said. "The victory was deserved."

Soccer video game question: Does anyone know when Winning Eleven 10 will be released in the U.S.?

It was released in Japan in April, but I haven't heard anything since then. I actually went out and bought the recent FIFA, World Cup edition, but if you're familiar with the Winning Eleven series, then the FIFA games are crap. It's nice that they have all the licenses, but the game play is garbage compared to Winning Eleven, which is simply the best sports video game series that has ever existed.

Yesterday's Spain vs. France was awesome!  One of the best games so far.  Both teams actually trying to win with skill, not dives and BS.  Also, the referee did a great job of communicating with the players instead of just reaching for the yellow card every time.

I was rooting for France and was pleasantly surprised they were able to pull it out.  Before now, it did not seem that France was capable of beating a team like Spain, who I thought really had a shot at winning it all.  If they play like this on Saturday against Brazil, it will be an amazing game.

The other Saturday game, ENG vs. POR, will be great too.  I think this one will be a fight.  England will need to step it up to beat Portugal, who has been winning by sheer strength of will it seems.  I would love to see Rooney's efforts finally pay off with a goal or two.

715289[/snapback]

Heck yeah it was! I was more excited to see the Brazil/Ghana match, but that one was nothing compared to Spain/france. It was cool to see ronaldo with some fancy footwork to get his record goal, though. I'm usually one of the people who will always jump into the party when there are French jokes going around, but I was actually pulling for them yesterday. Thierry Henry is probably my favorite player, but I was really excited when Zidane scored. Helluva match!

Soccer video game question:  Does anyone know when Winning Eleven 10 will be released in the U.S.?

It was released in Japan in April, but I haven't heard anything since then.  I actually went out and bought the recent FIFA, World Cup edition, but if you're familiar with the Winning Eleven series, then the FIFA games are crap.  It's nice that they have all the licenses, but the game play is garbage compared to Winning Eleven, which is simply the best sports video game series that has ever existed.

715324[/snapback]

I bought Winning 11 last year, and I was SHOCKED at how realistic the play was. My brother and I were addicted to it for a good six months. Granted, I rarely play video games now compared to when I was younger, but this game was the most incredible sports game I've ever played. I'd actually like to know when the new version comes out too, cause I'm definitely going to pick it up. I cannot imagine a better, more authentic soccer game.

715289[/snapback]

Not trying to win with dives. And Henry knocking down a player and then falling to the ground like he got shot in the face isn't a dive?

Anyways I hate Spain. They should just call it Team Overrated.