*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

Though, I think the NBA should raise the basket 3 more feet. Dunking the ball takes so much talent, Ya know? :huh:

716238[/snapback]

:pirate:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for you. Has the Goal always been the same height & width in Soccer? And for how long?

The NFL, NHL, and the NBA have changed things in their sports, to enhance the game, MLB too.

Though, I think the NBA should raise the basket 3 more feet. Dunking the ball takes so much talent, Ya know? :pirate:

716238[/snapback]

I have no idea, but I highly doubt it.

To be fair, they are the 4 best matchups :pirate:

I can't wait for Argentina/Germany.

716255[/snapback]

Yep, I really think we're in for some great matches. I was just watching a show on fox soccer channel called "The Superstars". They interview current wc players and ask them about what they expect (taped before the start of the tourney), who they'd like to play with if they could, etc. It's pretty damn interesting. They had a little piece on Beckham, who mentioned some English guy who was on the '66 WC team that won it all. I tell you what, some of the goals from that wc were just as awesome as the ones today! Some english guy rocketed one from outside the box and put it past the German keeper; it looked like the Frings goal from the first match this year.

Beckham was saying how when he was a kid, all he could do was dream about playing professional futbal one day. He said that whenever a little kid comes up to him today, it reminds him of himself and he can't help but feel touched by it. Sappy, yeah, but I respect pro athletes who stay in touch with stuff like that. I have more respect for him after seeing the piece.

Question for you. Has the Goal always been the same height & width in Soccer? And for how long?

716238[/snapback]

The size of the goal has stayed the same since the rules were first written down in the late 19th century.

Lack of goals is not an issue in football - it adds to the flavour - the currency of the goal is so valuable and it actually gives weaker teams a chance.

Lack of goals is not an issue in football - it adds to the flavour - the currency of the goal is so valuable and it actually gives weaker teams a chance.

716594[/snapback]

Very true. It really adds to the drama as well. Bad games aren't ones with no score, they're the ones where neither side even really is able to create chances. You could have an incredible game go 0-0 with high action at both ends.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo :lol:  :P

C'mon Germany.

716777[/snapback]

da EEEEEEE-QUA-LIIIIIII-ZAAAAAAAH!!

I tell you what, you get the ball anywhere near Klose's head and it's a done deal!!

1-1

Let's get it ON!!!

Bad games aren't ones with no score, they're the ones where neither side even really is able to create chances.  You could have an incredible game go 0-0 with high action at both ends.

716647[/snapback]

Exactamundo.....I've tried to make that point to non-soccer people time and time again, myself. A goal in soccer is an event....yes, you do have an own goal here and there, or maybe a total break down/ fug-up kind of goal, but for the most part you have to WORK for it. People who truly love this game love things like ball movement, great saves, NEAR goals, etc., just as much as they love a great score. With the exception of the diving, I actually think the rules of the game are just fine.

da EEEEEEE-QUA-LIIIIIII-ZAAAAAAAH!!

I tell you what, you get the ball anywhere near Klose's head and it's a done deal!!

1-1

Let's get it ON!!!

716796[/snapback]

Great game. I could smell the 1-1. That diving call was BS though. Should have been a penalty. Oh well.

Friggin work.  :lol:

716803[/snapback]

That's a bummer.....you'll get to see the two games tomorrow, yes? Those should be good....this Ger/Arg game actually has been pretty uneventful until Klose scored that goal. The Germans have played very sluggishly.....very USA-like, lol. They're in OT now, so hopefully this will get things going.

Great game.  I could smell the 1-1.  That diving call was BS though.  Should have been a penalty.  Oh well.

716804[/snapback]

I agree....at least there aren't cards flying all over the place. FIFA did well by whacking these refs upside their heads.....enough of that fiasco from a week ago :lol:

I agree....at least there aren't cards flying all over the place. FIFA did well by whacking these refs upside their heads.....enough of that fiasco from a week ago  :lol:

716807[/snapback]

I'm very nervous for the next matchup. So far, I have followed the same rituals. Now all i gotta do is eat a raw chicken and I'll be ready.