*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

Hence the reason that security is rather light at the world cup.

714459[/snapback]

You know what kills me is that they were saying how all the team busses have the country's name on the side....every one except that of the US national team. Let's think about this for a minute..... :blush:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'm saying an attack on the World Cup is highly unlikely because it doesn't fit Al Qaeda's doctrine.  What's the anti-American statement they'd be making?  Even if the US were still in it, hitting a game doesn't make a statement typical of AQ.  Kidnapping the US team a-la Munich '72 would...but that's too low profile for Al Qaeda. 

Don't forget, terrorists don't just kill for ***** and giggles.  They kill to send a message and achieve a goal.  What their message is dictates the manner in which they operate.  Al Qaeda doing anything at a World Cup match in Germany just doesn't accomplish anything for them; doesn't send anyone a meaningful anti-American message (being as how there's maybe three dozen Americans who watch it), doesn't further their anti-American goals.

714456[/snapback]

Has any of AQ hits been completely UnAmerican? Yes. To say that the WC is immune would be shocking.

Its not so much that an attack against the WC wouldn't fit their "Message" as it is a strike against Democracy. The World stage is their dream come true.

I for one would be afraid to attend the WC.

As far as ***** and giggles goes, killing innocent people seems to be, for whatever reason, ***** and giggles to me.

I shall say a prayer for you tonite.

May the rain Gods give you shelter. Dont forget the trash cans.

I could see how they could be a target of terrorism, very easily.

Scary.

714478[/snapback]

lol, WTF??

Shevchenko

Deserved to be born in a better country :blush:

714482[/snapback]

I can't believe he telegraphed his PK today....I really thought they were in trouble after that.

I can't believe he telegraphed his PK today....I really thought they were in trouble after that.

714483[/snapback]

He's a great player, but we must not forget that he was surrounded by superstars for his whole career in Milan. Disgrace that he is playing with Chelsea now.

Has any of AQ hits been completely UnAmerican? Yes. To say that the WC is immune would be shocking.

No. Any Al Qaeda operation has been directed either at solidifying their own base or making a very public anti-American statement. Even Madrid, which was basically punishment for the Spanish government's alliance with the US over Iraq. Even Bali, which was an indirect attack at Australia for supporting the US (though it was also directed at the Indonesian government, too...for their own purposes. Indonesia is a special, messed-up case.) Hitting a sports tournament in Germany that most Americans don't even care about doesn't accomplish anything by their standards.

Its not so much that an attack against the WC wouldn't fit their "Message" as it is a strike against Democracy. The World stage is their dream come true.

They've already had the world stage many times over. And they don't fight "against Democracy", they fight for the Islamic Caliphite and the American hegemony that stands in their way. An operation against the World Cup in Germany doesn't advance the new caliphite or strike at American hegemony.

As far as ***** and giggles goes, killing innocent people seems to be, for whatever reason, ***** and giggles to me.

And if they thought like you, that would be fine. They don't. They operate in an entirely different context than yours. When you understand their context, you understand that 1) there's a discernable reason behind everything they do, 2) there's a reason they DON'T do the things they don't do, and 3) your context doesn't mean jack to them. Or anyone associated with them. Or anyone fighting them.

Christ..."fighting against Democracy." I didn't know anyone actually bought that line of crap.

May the rain Gods give you shelter. Dont forget the trash cans.

714471[/snapback]

Right now they're giving me more rain. Bastards must be distant cousins of the friggin' Hockey Gods.

He's a great player, but we must not forget that he was surrounded by superstars for his whole career in Milan.  Disgrace that he is playing with Chelsea now.

714484[/snapback]

I've only really seen him in this WC.....he was awesome last game, but nothing special today.

By the way, do all the national leagues in europe start in august and run until next May or so? And when do the champions league and FA cup matches begin? I'm not clear on the time frames of all this stuff, but I want to start paying more attention, cause I'm sure I'll be in withdrawal after July 9th, lol

I've only really seen him in this WC.....he was awesome last game, but nothing special today.

By the way, do all the national leagues in europe start in august and run until next May or so? And when do the champions league and FA cup matches begin? I'm not clear on the time frames of all this stuff, but I want to start paying more attention, cause I'm sure I'll be in withdrawal after July 9th, lol

714489[/snapback]

AJ- you have to go to Europe and see what a pub is like when a game is on. !@#$- you have to get to a game! They are mad for Rugby too

714489[/snapback]

Serie A will be starting in October because of the scandals, by the time the trials finish it will be then.

Champions League starts in middle of August.

FA cup is sh-- lol, it's useless. Don't know when EPL starts but I'm guessing it's in late August.

AJ, go on youtube and look up famous Shevchenko goals. If I find it, I will show you a goal that he did to burn Roma 3 years ago. A real knife to the heart.

AJ- you have to go to Europe and see what a pub is like when a game is on.  !@#$- you have to get to a game!  They are mad for Rugby too

714492[/snapback]

Oh I will, believe me....maybe not anytime soon, but I am determined to head over there in the next five years. I think I mentioned before that there is a chick in germany who allows any other 'zeppenfelds' to stay in one of her rooms for a couple weeks for free.....I'm going to take advantage of that :blush:

Serie A will be starting in October because of the scandals, by the time the trials finish it will be then.

Champions League starts in middle of August.

FA cup is sh-- lol, it's useless.  Don't know when EPL starts but I'm guessing it's in late August.

AJ, go on youtube and look up famous Shevchenko goals.  If I find it, I will show you a goal that he did to burn Roma 3 years ago.  A real knife to the heart.

714493[/snapback]

I thought the FA cup was like the cup for the EPL? No? And what is the UEFA cup? There are entirely too many damn competitions over there, man.....

I thought the FA cup was like the cup for the EPL? No? And what is the UEFA cup? There are entirely too many damn competitions over there, man.....

714497[/snapback]

FA cup is like in Italy called the Coppa Italia. Anyone can win from I think the top 2 leagues in the country. It's useless IMHO.

UEFA is the 4-8 in the top flight that can play for it from each country in Europe.

EPL is the league. The winner is the team that finishes with the most points.

It is normal that there is so many competitions, there is so many teams.

No, I'm saying an attack on the World Cup is highly unlikely because it doesn't fit Al Qaeda's doctrine.  What's the anti-American statement they'd be making?  Even if the US were still in it, hitting a game doesn't make a statement typical of AQ.  Kidnapping the US team a-la Munich '72 would...but that's too low profile for Al Qaeda. 

Don't forget, terrorists don't just kill for ***** and giggles.  They kill to send a message and achieve a goal.  What their message is dictates the manner in which they operate.  Al Qaeda doing anything at a World Cup match in Germany just doesn't accomplish anything for them; doesn't send anyone a meaningful anti-American message (being as how there's maybe three dozen Americans who watch it), doesn't further their anti-American goals.

714456[/snapback]

So what you're saying is it's a good thing that we suck? And hating soccer is patriotic? Hmm, I'll buy that.

FA cup is like in Italy called the Coppa Italia.  Anyone can win from I think the top 2 leagues in the country.  It's useless IMHO. 

UEFA is the 4-8 in the top flight that can play for it from each country in Europe.

EPL is the league.  The winner is the team that finishes with the most points.

It is normal that there is so many competitions, there is so many teams.

714498[/snapback]

So is the UEFA cup the same thing as the champions league then??