*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow....I guess that explains why I like their soccer team more than I do the rest of the country  ;)

Growing up in the north, I think the racism issue is much more beneath the surface than it is down here in the South. Since moving down here there have been a few times when I've really been shocked at what has transpired right in front of me. I actually live in what used to be the georgia headquarters for the KKK....hence the reason I drive an hour into Atlanta to work at an inner city hospital as opposed to working around here. People need to immerse themselves in diverse surroundings.  I grew up in an upper middle class environment, mostly around other white people. When I lived in Philly I began to make the effort to take my classes in North Philly at the main Temple campus instead of the suburban satellite campus which was five mins from my apartment. It was the greatest thing  could have ever done, and I think more people need to do that. The fact of the matter is that people are interesting....and the more different they are from you, the more interesting they become, IMO. I know it falls on deaf ears, but at the center of racism is nothing but pure ignorance.

But the fact that the French team has to put up with all that crap makes me more of a fan....I hope they upset Brazil now.

715646[/snapback]

It has to do with the endzones or what we call "curva's".

The hooligans of each team go on each end zone. These hooligans often base their ideologies on the team. For example, SS Lazio is a club that many of its supporters are fascist. Same thing goes with Roma except their fans are more communist. I have seen games where there are swastikas in the stands and fans chant racist chants.

This is only a minority. Those fans are the poor ones, the ones who spend all their time following the team. Usually this is about 1000-5000 fans. They ruin it for everyone though. Each league has been slowly jacking up ticket prices to make it harder for these hooligans to get in since they tend to be poor.

It has to do with the endzones or what we call "curva's".

The hooligans of each team go on each end zone.  These hooligans often base their ideologies on the team.  For example, SS Lazio is a club that many of its supporters are fascist.  Same thing goes with Roma except their fans are more communist.  I have seen games where there are swastikas in the stands and fans chant racist chants. 

This is only a minority.  Those fans are the poor ones, the ones who spend all their time following the team.  Usually this is about 1000-5000 fans.  They ruin it for everyone though.  Each league has been slowly jacking up ticket prices to make it harder for these hooligans to get in since they tend to be poor.

715790[/snapback]

That reminds me....I just saw the film, "Green Street Hooligans". I had no idea that those "firms" existed in England....pretty interesting.

Don't take me wrong, here AJ. But do you ever work or sleep?

Do you own a Fit? :lol:

715863[/snapback]

;) I work three days a week...at night :doh:

So, you're a pimp, SWEET!!! ;)

715877[/snapback]

LOL, I wish! I'm actually going to be at only two days a week in the next six months. There is a position open where I work where you work two days out of Fri, Sat, and Sun, and they pay you for the third.....full benefits and everything. So if you're not tired of my posts by now, you will be by the end of the year....muaaaaah ha ha ha ha!!! :doh:

LOL, I wish!  I'm actually going to be at only two days a week in the next six months. There is a position open where I work where you work two days out of Fri, Sat, and Sun, and they pay you for the third.....full benefits and everything. So if you're not tired of my posts by now,  you will be by the end of the year....muaaaaah ha ha ha ha!!!  ;)

715882[/snapback]

Ah, I see. Then you're a terrorist during the week. You're a bad man AJ.

So, does AJ, stand for Al Jida, kickballer extraordinaire? The world renowned soccer terrorist?

Then again, you could just be a diver. :lol::doh:

Ah, I see. Then you're a terrorist during the week. You're a bad man AJ.

So, does AJ, stand for Al Jida, kickballer extraordinaire? The world renowned soccer terrorist?

Then again, you could just be a diver. :lol:  :doh:

715889[/snapback]

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you ;)

On Friday, Italy could break the record of underachieving.  Let's hope not.

715791[/snapback]

Doubt it Ukraine are a piss poor team and the games have more or less gone as I expected. Of the teams with a chance of winning at the start seven are still in there, so it will get harder from now on.

To be honest I would love it if England had the same history of unachieving as Italy - I mean one World Cup win and that's it for us. Mostly down to the way the game has been run over the years in this country, although we are now starting to produce more top quality players, we still have little idea on how to use them.

I am warming to Italy in this tournament. They are playing pretty well (not magnificently, admittedly, but then no one really has been with any consistancy) and are not boring (after all sport is supposed to be a form of entertainment). Much better to watch than England so far for the neutrals.

That reminds me....I just saw the film, "Green Street Hooligans". I had no idea that those "firms" existed in England....pretty interesting.

715827[/snapback]

The firms were very visible in the 70s and 80s, however they have been largely run out of the game in the UK these days, good police intelligence has meant that these pr**ks have been unable to get into the games as much as they used to. Funnily enough more women and families are now going to games. Some 3500 of these thugs are banned from travelling abroad when England play overseas.

Firms still exist, but they are little more than street gangs that get together away from football matches for punch ups.

Doubt it Ukraine are a piss poor team and the games have more or less gone as I expected. Of the teams with a chance of winning at the start seven are still in there, so it will get harder from now on.

To be honest I would love it if England had the same history of unachieving as Italy - I mean one World Cup win and that's it for us. Mostly down to the way the game has been run over the years in this country, although we are now starting to produce more top quality players, we still have little idea on how to use them.

I am warming to Italy in this tournament. They are playing pretty well (not magnificently, admittedly, but then no one really has been with any consistancy) and are not boring (after all sport is supposed to be a form of entertainment). Much better to watch than England so far for the neutrals.

716005[/snapback]

I don't know how someone could watch the Azzurri play that doesn't have a rooting interest in the team. The way they slow the pace of the game down to a turtle's sprint must be maddening to watch. I wish for once, they could show up to a freaking game, dominate their opponent and just comfortably win 3, 4 nothing.

I don't know how someone could watch the Azzurri play that doesn't have a rooting interest in the team.  The way they slow the pace of the game down to a turtle's sprint must be maddening to watch.  I wish for once, they could show up to a freaking game, dominate their opponent and just comfortably win 3, 4 nothing.

716214[/snapback]

I thought they did well against the Aussies considering they were ludicrously down to 10 men. The Azurri ARE maddening to watch, but they have been far less maddening this time around (although just about anybody has been better to watch than England, apart from the Swizzzzzzzzzz).

As far as dominating, I would settle for England just looking competant. Like the results, have hated the performances.

I suppose we could start a 'my team is more boring to watch than your team' thread the way this is going......

I thought they did well against the Aussies considering they were ludicrously down to 10 men. The Azurri ARE maddening to watch, but they have been far less maddening this time around (although just about anybody has been better to watch than England, apart from the Swizzzzzzzzzz).

As far as dominating, I would settle for England just looking competant. Like the results, have hated the performances.

716221[/snapback]

England will find their game. They have all the tools necessary. I don't know, there is a possibility it could be Italy-England final. I was looking back and I realized that in every decade, there has been an Italy/Brazil final. It's just destiny.

They still wouldn't be able to score on Italy  :pirate:

716235[/snapback]

Question for you. Has the Goal always been the same height & width in Soccer? And for how long?

The NFL, NHL, and the NBA have changed things in their sports, to enhance the game, MLB too.

Though, I think the NBA should raise the basket 3 more feet. Dunking the ball takes so much talent, Ya know? :huh: