*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

Oh, no question.....the only reason I can think of as to why they wouldn't target a WC game (in addition to the idea that they are fans), would be that it's really not all that visible of a sport in the US. Even though the WC gets more attention here than any other soccer event, I would think the Superbowl would be a more appealing target...or maybe the world series. The trick there is that we likely have better security in the US than they do abroad.

714389[/snapback]

Do you remember the Spain attacks on the train, its not just about the Americans.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it ever did happen, it would probably be some !@#$ing corrupt Italian ref with the bomb strapped to his ass....

714391[/snapback]

lol

where did that pop out from.

Did you go to Vabills school of insults :blush:

There is no Italian refs in this World Cup. Regrettably since the best ref in the world is Collina. He ref'd the final. It's not their fault that their lives were threatened.

If it ever did happen, it would probably be some !@#$ing corrupt Italian ref with the bomb strapped to his ass....

714391[/snapback]

That wouldn't surprise me.

They could dive into the crowd, raising a red card just before they pull the detonator.

Do you remember the Spain attacks on the train, its not just about the Americans.

714398[/snapback]

Good point, I forgot about that.....changed the outcome of an election, didn't it?

lol

where did that pop out from.

Did you go to Vabills school of insults :lol:

714399[/snapback]

Dang, VA has a helluva lot of schools :blush:

Good point, I forgot about that.....changed the outcome of an election, didn't it?

714403[/snapback]

The Japanese subway, Indonesia? Look at the stage? The World Cup? This is bigger than the Super Bowl.

The round of eight could be a target, or maybe later..

Look at Toronto, Miami recently?

Players getting killed in the past. Ref's are next?

Well, yeah...but number two is riding around on horseback tossing around a stuffed goat's skin.  Soccer looks kind of appealing in comparison...

714415[/snapback]

I have to disagree. There was plenty of contact in that game without the ludicrous play acting and no one drives to the horseback tossing matches in a Honda Fit.

Kickball.  The number one sport of terrorists.  Congrats!

714410[/snapback]

There coming, trust me. The terrorists are coming. Kickball, the endangered sport.

Al-Qaeda will blow up the world Cup, I read it some where, or was it Katie Curic, not sure.

There coming, trust me. The terrorists are coming. Kickball, the endangered sport.

Al-Qaeda will blow up the world Cup, I read it some where, or was it Katie Curic, not sure.

714431[/snapback]

Nah. That would piss off everyone. They just want to piss off the US. :blush:

Seriously, though...the World Cup is a high-profile target, but not a high-profile anti-American target. I can't think of a single AQ operation - including the Madrid and London bombings - that wasn't a direct anti-American statement. And there's no anti-American statement in hitting a sports tournament held in Germany that everyone BUT Americans follow...

Nah.  That would piss off everyone.  They just want to piss off the US.  :blush:

Seriously, though...the World Cup is a high-profile target, but not a high-profile anti-American target.  I can't think of a single AQ operation - including the Madrid and London bombings - that wasn't a direct anti-American statement.  And there's no anti-American statement in hitting a sports tournament held in Germany that everyone BUT Americans follow...

714433[/snapback]

So what you're saying is, there wont be any attacks on the WC based on the fact that, The US is not in it anymore?

A statement from AQ could be based on their sane reasoning of the fact that, they like the Italians? And their greasy Goaltender?

Or that the Canadians, are Ref loving pile divers?

Either way, they're doomed...........

So what you're saying is, there wont be any attacks on the WC based on the fact that, The US is not in it anymore?

A statement from AQ could be based on their sane reasoning of the fact that, they like the Italians? And their greasy Goaltender?

Or that the Canadians, are Ref loving pile divers?

Either way, they're doomed...........

714441[/snapback]

No, I'm saying an attack on the World Cup is highly unlikely because it doesn't fit Al Qaeda's doctrine. What's the anti-American statement they'd be making? Even if the US were still in it, hitting a game doesn't make a statement typical of AQ. Kidnapping the US team a-la Munich '72 would...but that's too low profile for Al Qaeda.

Don't forget, terrorists don't just kill for ***** and giggles. They kill to send a message and achieve a goal. What their message is dictates the manner in which they operate. Al Qaeda doing anything at a World Cup match in Germany just doesn't accomplish anything for them; doesn't send anyone a meaningful anti-American message (being as how there's maybe three dozen Americans who watch it), doesn't further their anti-American goals.

No, I'm saying an attack on the World Cup is highly unlikely because it doesn't fit Al Qaeda's doctrine.  What's the anti-American statement they'd be making?  Even if the US were still in it, hitting a game doesn't make a statement typical of AQ.  Kidnapping the US team a-la Munich '72 would...but that's too low profile for Al Qaeda. 

Don't forget, terrorists don't just kill for ***** and giggles.  They kill to send a message and achieve a goal.  What their message is dictates the manner in which they operate.  Al Qaeda doing anything at a World Cup match in Germany just doesn't accomplish anything for them; doesn't send anyone a meaningful anti-American message (being as how there's maybe three dozen Americans who watch it), doesn't further their anti-American goals.

714456[/snapback]

Hence the reason that security is rather light at the world cup.

It's too bad that they confiscate all the smoke bombs and flares from the fans. It really makes the game more enjoyable seeing the pitch on fire :blush: