Should McGee return Kickoffs this year???

McGee is one of the best in the league (the best IMO). However, he is a big part of our defense and returning kicks bring an increase chance of injury. I know we added some depth in the secondary, but personally, I wouldn't want any of those guys starting yet. Also, I was wondering how interchangable kick returners are. We had a great special teams unit and schemes. So if we put Roscoe back there, could he be as successful? Judging McGee's return against NO, it would be difficult for Roscoe to match. Additionally, if Roscoe doesn't return kicks on this team, what is his role? I know camp hasn't started but the Reed re-signing (which I'm totally against :) ) and signing of vets like Price and Davis definitely puts Roscoe behind the eight ball. I think Roscoe can be a weapon for us (though not worth a 2nd round pick) if he can just get on the field. Any thoughts??? :doh:

McGee is one of the best in the league (the best IMO).  However, he is a big part of our defense and returning kicks bring an increase chance of injury.  I know we added some depth in the secondary, but personally, I wouldn't want any of those guys starting yet.  Also, I was wondering how interchangable kick returners are.  We had a great special teams unit and schemes.  So if we put Roscoe back there, could he be as successful?  Judging McGee's return against NO, it would be difficult for Roscoe to match.  Additionally, if Roscoe doesn't return kicks on this team, what is his role?  I know camp hasn't started but the Reed re-signing (which I'm totally against  :) ) and signing of vets like Price and Davis definitely puts Roscoe behind the eight ball.  I think Roscoe can be a weapon for us (though not worth a 2nd round pick) if he can just get on the field.  Any thoughts???  :doh:

688405[/snapback]

I see Roscoe as the primary punt returner and #2 KR. There's no way April sits McGee--he's the best KR in the league. In fact, if I had to choose, I'd rather see him KR over playing corner. He can and should play both positions.

There's no way April sits McGee--he's the best KR in the league. In fact, if I had to choose, I'd rather see him KR over playing corner. He can and should play both positions.

688412[/snapback]

Agree 100%, he's the biggest weapon on the team as KR.

As mentioned, he's one of the best KO returns in the league. Although he's a very good CB, I wouldn't put him among the leagues elite.

AFAIK, there's no indication that returning kicks is any more dangerous w/ respect to risking injury than playing defense. (My guess is even on a per play basis, it's less, cuz you usually know where you're being hit from & aren't 'in the way' during pile ups.)

That said, I think the marginal improvement of having him return kicks rather than someone else, definitely justifies having him do so.

I see Roscoe as the primary punt returner and #2 KR. There's no way April sits McGee--he's the best KR in the league. In fact, if I had to choose, I'd rather see him KR over playing corner. He can and should play both positions.

688412[/snapback]

If Roscoe can be above average at KR i'd rather McGee not risk the injury. The bills don't have alot of options at #2 CB.

They could use Vincent there in a pinch; and maybe Baker or the rookie at FS, but the DB's are not as strong that way. Mcgee could probably use the extra practice time at CB and could focus on playing there more if he did not have to think about being the primary KR.

I always thought it would be tough on the player endurance wise to do both jobs. Mcgee is young, but its a long season.

Agree 100%, he's the biggest weapon on the team as KR.

688424[/snapback]

His return skills were well-touted when he came out of college. Why the Bills sat on that for a year...who knows?

I'd put him at safety instead of cb, too. He'd excel...

As mentioned, he's one of the best KO returns in the league. Although he's a very good CB, I wouldn't put him among the leagues elite.

AFAIK, there's no indication that returning kicks is any more dangerous w/ respect to risking injury than playing defense. (My guess is even on a per play basis, it's less, cuz you usually know where you're being hit from & aren't 'in the way' during pile ups.)

That said, I think the marginal improvement of having him return kicks rather than someone else, definitely justifies having him do so.

688432[/snapback]

Returning kicks may not be more dangerous, but the more Mcgee is on the field there is increased risk.

If the Bills had more depth at CB; someone who can step in and do the job as #2 then I would agree.

but if Roscoe can be above average at KR, i don't see risking Mcgee being worth it. Same reason i don't like to see Clements returning punts. Too important to the D.

Although, I do believe he will be the primary KR this year.

but if Roscoe can be above average at KR, i don't see risking Mcgee being worth it.

688519[/snapback]

I disagree. McGee is a proven game-changer as a kick returner. All I saw from Parrish was a tendency to fumble trying to make something happen on punt returns.

688432[/snapback]

Word. One of the best KRs in league history, in fact - only 18 players have returned as many as four kickoffs for TDs. (The record is six.)

Gale Sayers holds the league record for KR average (minimum of 75 attempts) at 30.56 yds/return, followed by Lynn Chadnois (Steelers 1950-56, 29.57 yds/return) and Abe Woodson (San Fran/St. Louis 1958-66, 28.69 yds/return).

After 106 attempts, McGee's career average is 27.56 yds/return. To compare, Dante Hall's career average is a pedestrian 24.2 yds/return. Five-time Pro Bowl KR Michael Bates? 24.5. Super Bowl XXXI MVP Desmond Howard? Deion Sanders? Neither of them crack 23.0.

Bills KR touchdowns since 1999: McGee 4, everyone else 1 (Charlie Rogers vs. Minnesota, 2002).

He's an improving, good-but-not-quite-great CB... but he can change the game at KR.

McGee is one of the best in the league (the best IMO).  However, he is a big part of our defense and returning kicks bring an increase chance of injury.  I know we added some depth in the secondary, but personally, I wouldn't want any of those guys starting yet.  Also, I was wondering how interchangable kick returners are.  We had a great special teams unit and schemes.  So if we put Roscoe back there, could he be as successful?  Judging McGee's return against NO, it would be difficult for Roscoe to match.  Additionally, if Roscoe doesn't return kicks on this team, what is his role?  I know camp hasn't started but the Reed re-signing (which I'm totally against  :) ) and signing of vets like Price and Davis definitely puts Roscoe behind the eight ball.  I think Roscoe can be a weapon for us (though not worth a 2nd round pick) if he can just get on the field.  Any thoughts???  :doh:

688405[/snapback]

I was just thinking about this. I agree with the other posters. With what McGee has done as a KR, especially in 2004, unless someone like Parrish shows they can be a similar threat (in pre-season??), you have to leave McGee there.

Of course we have to consider that Jauron is the head coach and will make that decision. I looked at the stats for the Bears when he was coach.

In 2000, the leading kick returner was Glyn Milburn, who did little else.

In 2001, their top kickoff returners were backup running backs Autry Denson (23 returns) and Leon Johnson (14 returns). That was the season where the Bears defense was very good (16 pts given up per game) so they didn't have a lot of kick returns. Jerry Azumah was on that team but had only 4 returns.

In 2002, the top kick returner was a Ahmad Merritt, a backup receiver. Azumah had no returns.

In 2003, the top kick returner was Azumah, and he was amongst the league leaders, plus had 2 KR TDs.

So, for 3 of those years, non-starters were used. In 2003 it was Azumah, a starter at cornerback, so that doesn't give a definitive tendency by Jauron in the use of starters on kick returns.

Next I took a look at the last 5 games of last season for Detroit, when Jauron was head coach. Eddie Drummond was the top kick returner for Detroit but he was injured and missed the games in Weeks 14 and 15. Starting cornerback RW McQuarters filled in for those 2 games.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the approach will be regarding the use of McGee..

Word. One of the best KRs in league history, in fact - only 18 players have returned as many as four kickoffs for TDs. (The record is six.)

Gale Sayers holds the league record for KR average (minimum of 75 attempts) at 30.56 yds/return, followed by Lynn Chadnois (Steelers 1950-56, 29.57 yds/return) and Abe Woodson (San Fran/St. Louis 1958-66, 28.69 yds/return).

After 106 attempts, McGee's career average is 27.56 yds/return. To compare, Dante Hall's career average is a pedestrian 24.2 yds/return. Five-time Pro Bowl KR Michael Bates? 24.5. Super Bowl XXXI MVP Desmond Howard? Deion Sanders? Neither of them crack 23.0.

Bills KR touchdowns since 1999: McGee 4, everyone else 1 (Charlie Rogers vs. Minnesota, 2002).

He's an improving, good-but-not-quite-great CB... but he can change the game at KR.

688580[/snapback]

Thanks for just the facts, ma'am. I think he's the best KR I have ever seen anywhere. There is no way they should take him off the KR team, and they won't.

688580[/snapback]

Wow, thanks for that info! I knew he was one of the better returners I'd ever seen, but I didn't know just how good.

4 kickoff return TDs. I can't help thinking of the one that got away (which was probably the greatest return I've ever seen - until the end). :)

Wow, thanks for that info!  I knew he was one of the better returners I'd ever seen, but I didn't know just how good.

4 kickoff return TDs.  I can't help thinking of the one that got away (which was probably the greatest return I've ever seen - until the end).  :)

688628[/snapback]

The one against the Saints last season? We were sitting in the front row of the upper deck in that end zone. When he went down at the 3, I considered jumping.

the best way to protect him from injuries on kick returns, is don't let the other team score.

okay that will not happen, however I thought the reason we drafted Youboty was because we needed depth. as I see it we have 5 good CB, clements, McGee, Youboty, King and Vincent.

McGee is our best chance at scoring. :)

I think looking at this from the Parrish side as well, I would rather have him focus solely on learning the WR slot so that he is weapon for us in three WR sets rather than be distracted by trying to replicate what McGee did as a KR guy.

A key to liberatimg the running game is to present such a formidable passing threat that DBs do not spend the lionshare of their time planning and teaching how to stop WM.

Shelton disappointed last year and I think WM probably runs better against the other team in a nickel or dime against our 3 WR set if PP (or Davis or even Parrish probe to be effective #2s and Fairchild replicates the high-flying Rams passing game.

It would be great to see DCs forced to double Evans if steps up into being a true #1, and then decide how they are going to deal with PP's speed and Parrish's possible speed and definite shiftiness as a runner.

If other teams are forced into the nickel or dime to cover this speed, then we get to see WM stiff arm 185 lb. DBs rather than 220 lb, LBs. Parrish shpuld learn the WR game authoritatively before learning the pro KR game.

The one against the Saints last season? We were sitting in the front row of the upper deck in that end zone. When he went down at the 3, I considered jumping.

688636[/snapback]

Buffalo sports history, recreated in a single play.

I agree with what many people have said....LEAVE HIM at KR.

I have never agreed with the mentality that you take your "important players" off of special teams for risk of injury. First of all, its like 5-6 plays per game...some of which he won't even get to do anything but take a knee. It is not a big risk. If he gets hurt, then that is very unlucky, but so be it. He got hurt HELPING the team.

If we are so concerned about our stars' health, why not throw em all on the bench.

Returning kicks may not be more dangerous, but the more Mcgee is on the field there is increased risk.

I don't think you understand the logic.

Returning a KO, McGee is let's just say 3 yards on avg better than anyone else.

Bear in mind, that our superlative results are due as much to the other players as to him.

(Thanks for the stats Lori.)

On any individual defensive play, he is NOT worth ANYWHERE near 3 yards per play.

Even on a pass play directed at him, he isn't worth that much.

So, you're better off having him returning a kick than being on the play for a defensive snap. (Assuming of course than my injury liklihood hypothesis isn't WAY inaccurate.)

Keeping a heathy player on the bench doesn't help the team too much. They're only productive if they're on the field & contributing.

Wasn't our starting average the 36 yard line last year? Mcgee is greatly helping the OFFENSE more than you can say. If Jauron and co. don't use him as kick returner then they don't know what's going on. Roscoe is an excellent returner, but nobody can deny Mcgee's special return ability. IMO he's almost worth more as a return man than a defensive back. I could be off by a few yards on our starting yard line, but I think it's real close...

His kick returns are one of the reasons that Bills games are so exciting to watch.

I'd rather he didn't return kicks anymore unless Eric King will be just as good in coverage as McGee already is. No need to risk injury here. Parrish should be handling these duties now. If we lost him, it wouldn't hurt us one bit. If we lost Terrence, the D would be in a world of hurt.

I agree with what many people have said....LEAVE HIM at KR.

I have never agreed with the mentality that you take your "important players" off of special teams for risk of injury.  First of all, its like 5-6 plays per game...some of which he won't even get to do anything but take a knee.  It is not a big risk.  If he gets hurt, then that is very unlucky, but so be it.  He got hurt HELPING the team.

If we are so concerned about our stars' health, why not throw em all on the bench.

688665[/snapback]

Actually if what one primarily is driven by is the positive effect a player has the game, there is not an unreasonable argument to be made that if one feels McGee risks injury with extra duties perhaps McGee should simply return kicks and not rils injury that comes with playing CB.

If we had to switch to Greer as our #2 CB or press an oldster like Vincent into service unless they got burned for 5 TDs over the last two years and short passes which equal the field position advantage McGee provided perhaps he contributed more to the Bills which would be difficult to replace on ST.

Fortunately we do not need to choose one or the other. However, like Pro Bowl voters I would dub him one of the best as KR while dub him an adequate (but improving) CB.

I'm too tired to read through this thread. i just had to look at the 1st post. Is there really a suggestion we NOT use McGee as a returner?

Isn't McGee one of our most dangerous weapons?

I'm thinkin we let him keep returning.

McGee for president. My girlfriend wants to have his babies and she is a (GASP) Dolphins fan! UGH she is only useful one time a year when she buys me a ticket to satans lair, I mean Proplayer Stadium, to see the Bills play. Aren't they renaming the stadium again though?

I think we keep McGee returning kicks, because if has any free time and he is mounting my GF, he might pull his back out, not to mention he would create some sort of BILLS/DOLPHIN fan halfbreed, and I couldn't stomach that.

I say we play him in the slot too, sort of create our own reverse Troy Brown. Waddya say?

688580[/snapback]

Wow, you just blew me away with that. I knew he was good but that really puts it into perspective. Great info. That said, what's Roscoe role on this team then? Punt returner and 4th wr? God, what a waste of a 2nd round pick then. Thanks TD. :)

Guys can hurt on any play. McGee returning kicks is one of our best offensive weapons and we need all the help we can get in that department. If we are serious about winning, we play him on special teams, no doubt about it.

Guys can hurt on any play.  McGee returning kicks is one of our best offensive weapons and we need all the help we can get in that department.  If we are serious about winning, we play him on special teams, no doubt about it.

689032[/snapback]

I think we should lauch a campaign right here and now for the good of the Bills to force them not to play McGee at CB where he might get a boo-boo and get hurt so that we can be more assured of him returning kicks whre as a post from Lori showed he is one of the best ever and contributes game breaking plays and great field position to our team.

Alternately, we just deal with the fact that injuries happen and we will simply root for the best from this well-paid professional risking life and limb in the cover 2 and endangering his difference making contributions to the team.

We have a gm that has aloways stressed special teams more than any coach in the league and our assistant head coach is the special teams head coach.

Is there anybody who really thinks that we will not be using the best kick returner in the league to return kickoffs?