Favorite Depressing Movie

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you count great depressing movies with slightly upbeat endings, I'd have to put The Grapes Of Wrath at the top of the list.

Also kind of related to this discussion, I'm sad to say I'll probably never see my number 1 most wanted movie. :(

686096[/snapback]

Not familiar with that Clown movie, Rico. But I have a soft spot for the somewhat funny and fairly depressing "Shakes the Clown". Remember it's the "Citizen Kane of alcoholic clown movies".

Not familiar with that Clown movie, Rico.  But I have a soft spot for the somewhat funny and fairly depressing "Shakes the Clown".  Remember it's the "Citizen Kane of alcoholic clown movies".

686099[/snapback]

I also like Shakes...The Bobcat is a (very) guilty pleasure of mine, I just laugh looking at him.

Leaving Las Vegas was pretty good and depressing, but I don't think I'd ever want to see it again.

686065[/snapback]

That was the first one to pop into my mind. Incredible flick made all the more incredible because most scenes only included the same two people.

Other depressing flicks, in no particular order:

- Deer Hunter (The end was brutal.)

- Saving Private Ryan (Some felt the movie was not so good, but the depressing part to me was leaving the theater and seeing all the old vets sitting in their chairs like they weren't sure what to do next.)

"They Shoot Horses Don't They?" (Sydney Pollack film) starring Jane Fonda...people forget, underneath all of the "Hanoi Jane" stuff, Jane Fonda is maybe one of the greatest American actresses ever. This movie is a downer, but incredible...

"Short Cuts", a great Robert Altman film (most of his movies are great, and yes, a little depressing) with a cast of dozens. If you liked "Crash", you should like this movie. It is minus all the heavy handed symbolism, and plus great film making, intertwining 8 or 9 seemingly unrelated stories together. It is based on a book of short stories by Raymond Carver.

There are so many great American movies from the late 1960's through the mid-70's (when the brilliant blockbuster "Jaws" tainted Hollywood forever, it seems)...another great flicks is "Midnight Cowboy".....during that era, Hollywood was more interested in making great films (the best tend to be depressing, because, lets' face it, life can be pretty dark at times), than they were in blockbusters...

I would say Kids is a pretty depressing movie.

686093[/snapback]

most of the movie was depressing, but the ending where that bastard rapes a girl only to find out she has AIDS and now he does too made for an ending i could only hope would happen to all rapists, he got what he deserved.

"Short Cuts", a great Robert Altman film (most of his movies are great, and yes, a little depressing) with a cast of dozens.   

686148[/snapback]

I just saw "A Wedding" again, just came out on DVD... now that's a downer of an ending.

"They Shoot Horses Don't They?" (Sydney Pollack film) starring Jane Fonda...

another great flicks is "Midnight Cowboy.

686148[/snapback]

Those two were great movies. Another good one was "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn."

That movie depresses my daughter so much that she cries when she talks about it. :( I wish that I never told her about it.

Man, has no one else seen Requieum for a Dream?

686174[/snapback]

I'll nomintae another "requieum" movie...."Requieum for a Heavyweight" as a fairly depressing movie. Many boxing movies are except for the "Rocky" farces. I'll also nominate Das Boot as a somewhat downbeat movie, especially the end. "Gigot" starring Jacky Cleason as a deaf mute janitor is pretty depressing also.

Another that comes to mind (though I wouldn't call it a favorite) is "Indecent Proposal". I just found that to be a very disturbing movie. Sort of wanted to take a shower after watching it.

Bambi.

I'm scared for life.

:(

686211[/snapback]

Are you scared or scarred? Or both? :( I think the character Thumper represented Hitler, or maybe Tojo.

For me, PeeWee Goes to Holleywood was very depressing. I think he shoulda stayed in Des Moines.