Favorite Depressing Movie

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure it's my favorite depressing movie, but the unrated version of Bad Lieutenant scares and depresses the hell out of me. (I always think, "There but but the grace of God...")

Empire Strikes Back

""Empire" had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All "Jedi" had was a bunch of Muppets."

Empire Strikes Back

""Empire" had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All "Jedi" had was a bunch of Muppets."

686060[/snapback]

IMO, it's the best Star Wars movie. But, I've yet to see a couple of the more recent ones.

For more recent, mainstream movies that are watchable more than once,

Se7en(thanks Mark, spelled it wrong) and Million Dollar Baby are both pretty good and depressing.

Leaving Las Vegas was pretty good and depressing, but I don't think I'd ever want to see it again.

Actually, for a great depressing movie, try The Days of Wind and Roses and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. I also like The Addiction (another Abel Ferrara movie).

The Passion of the Christ & Schindler's List are very depressing, although they have uplifting endings.

Would Se7en qualify as a depressing movie, mainly for it's ending?

I would say Thirteen is depressing. It definitely makes you want to not have kids.

Couple good suggestions already, IMO. La Dolce Vita. Days of Wine and Roses was good. House of Sand and Fog was terrific. Leaving Las Vegas was a fabulously made and acted movie, and a personal fave of mine. I just finished watching Maria Full of Grace for the second time, which is pretty depressing, although it has a teeny uplifting moment at the end. 21 Grams was great. And The Sweet Hereafter was amazing, too.

The Professional. Everytime I see it, I want Leon to move just a little faster at the end and hopefully get out of the building.

686092[/snapback]

Natalie Portman was remarkable in The Professional. I remember thinking when I saw it that whoever that actress was is going to be a huge star. She was that good at that young. What, was she twelve or something?