Favorite Depressing Movie

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it's got to be Ass Frenzy 5. Not much of a plot, but the action is second-to-none.

It's a favorite of mine, I tend to watch it when I'm alone. I can never seem to make it through more than about 5-10 minutes...Then I feel depressed because I'm nervous that I'm going to go blind like grandma said.

IMO, it's the best Star Wars movie.  But, I've yet to see a couple of the more recent ones.

686061[/snapback]

The last hour of Ep.III is must see for anyone who likes SW even a little bit. Even my brother, who'd sworn off seeing it because he was so pissed off by the first two prequels, was amazed at how much he liked it. The first half of Ep.III is good, but the second half is awesome.

Requim for a Dream is devastating. They should show that at every high school in the country- drug usage would plummet.

Drugstore Cowboy. Trainspotting. Butterfly Effect. Mystic River. The Champ. The Deerhunter. Being John Malkovich.

My Life (Michael Keaton)

Life is Beautiful (my favorite movie of all time, but it messes me up bad)

Love Liza

And I'll throw out additional votes for Schindler's and House of Sand and Fog. HSF had some of the most amazing acting.....what a good film!

I watched one this weekend called White Squall with Jeff Bridges, and you could probably add that one to the list, too. I'd never heard of it before, but it was pretty intense.

My Life (Michael Keaton)

Life is Beautiful (my favorite movie of all time, but it messes me up bad)

Love Liza

686291[/snapback]

I love Life is Beautiful but found it inspiring

Kingpin...

686294[/snapback]

"Hey, everybody!! There's a giant sh-- CLOUD comin'!!!"

I think the first movie that really made me depressed was the 1930's version of

The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

686302[/snapback]

Did you get to go to the premier or did you have to wait until it hit all the theaters like everyone else back then? 0:)

Did you get to go to the premier or did you have to wait until it hit all the theaters like everyone else back then? 0:)

686303[/snapback]

We watched it together in my Hunchback support group. :w00t:

Motto: We are not just about ringing bells and voyeurism anymore.

I love Life is Beautiful but found it inspiring

686295[/snapback]

Oh, I did too....I think it's the greatest film about a man's love for his family that I've ever seen. That's why it's my favorite movie of all time.

Man, has no one else seen Requieum for a Dream?

686174[/snapback]

I worked at Artisan Entertainment when they made that movie. They gave it to me to read and I was supposed to give my recommendation. I told them don't make it if you want to make any money but it's really good. People will just want to kill themselves after watching it. They said they really didn't care about making much money on it, or rather that they didn't expect to, they really just wanted this relationship with Darren Aronofsky, who had just directed Pi. And they weren't going to give him much money to make it. They gave it to me again after he rewrote it, and said find something good to say about it. It was even better but just as, if not more, down and depressing. And again, I said, this is really, really good and no one is going to pay to watch it. But they wanted to do it.

I didn't know then that they were only going to give him 4+ million to make it, which he did. And it came out even better than the screenplay was. It only made 3.5 or so million in the states but 7 worldwide, and so they probably broke even on the box office and made a few million of the DVD sales.

They gave it to me again after he rewrote it

686317[/snapback]

"I wrote a script once, and I pitched it to a movie studio. The guy said he liked it, but he thought I needed to re-write it. I said, 'Fu@k that, I'll just make a copy.'"

-The great Mitch Hedberg

"I wrote a script once, and I pitched it to a movie studio.  The guy said he liked it, but he thought I needed to re-write it.  I said, 'Fu@k that, I'll just make a copy.'"

-The great Mitch Hedberg

686334[/snapback]

"Dr. Scholl wasted a lot of time in school. I would of bought shoes from him if he wasnt a doctor"

Indeed Mitch Hedberg is great

I worked at Artisan Entertainment when they made that movie. They gave it to me to read and I was supposed to give my recommendation. I told them don't make it if you want to make any money but it's really good. People will just want to kill themselves after watching it. They said they really didn't care about making much money on it, or rather that they didn't expect to, they really just wanted this relationship with Darren Aronofsky, who had just directed Pi. And they weren't going to give him much money to make it. They gave it to me again after he rewrote it, and said find something good to say about it. It was even better but just as, if not more, down and depressing. And again, I said, this is really, really good and no one is going to pay to watch it. But they wanted to do it.

I didn't know then that they were only going to give him 4+ million to make it, which he did. And it came out even better than the screenplay was. It only made 3.5 or so million in the states but 7 worldwide, and so they probably broke even on the box office and made a few million of the DVD sales.

686317[/snapback]

That's cool Dog. It's a great movie that's very powerful. It's definitely a "night ender"; you won't feel like doing much of anything after you watch it (well except some heroin of course 0:) ). Pi is a good movie too. Really f'd up.

The most depressing movie ever made (not necesssarily my favorite, but very well done) was Wit, starring Emma Thompson.

Wit follows the last days of an english professor who slowly dies from cancer. She never really had a loving family or close friends, just her work and her students.

Wit makes any other depressing movie out there look like a comedy. After you watch it you wonder why you just subjected yourself to it and why anybody would make such a movie.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Teams of Endearment - Debra Winger saying goodbye to her kids after being diagnosed with cancer - that's some serious depressing stuff...

Boyz n the Hood is a very good movie too. Some great performances by Laurence Fishburne, Ice Cube, and Cuba Gooding Jr. The part when Morris Chestnut gets gunned down and his mother sees he got a good enough score on his SAT to get a scholarship is a real tearjerker. What really makes it so sad is that it happens way to often in this country.