Round 1 (#8): Selection: S Donte Whitner

SDS

but am slightly concerned about the spot he was taken.

675085[/snapback]

In a year or two (or next year for that matter) if he is a productive player on defense and ST, it will not matter one bit when he was selected. We just so happened to have the #8 pick and this is the guy we wanted.

Oh, and the guy at NFL.com (Maylock?) had the Bills taking Whitner at #8, in an article just yesterday. You probably know more than him though.

675162[/snapback]

I was watching nflnetwork when the picked happened aqnd couldnt beleive someone had this right. Still think thye should have traded down, but at least someone thought this was a good move. The nfl guy has picked alot right this 1st round.

I was watching nflnetwork when the picked happened aqnd couldnt beleive someone had this right.  Still think thye should have traded down, but at least someone thought this was a good move. The nfl guy has picked alot right this 1st round.

675259[/snapback]

does that mean it was his opinion or could he have heard something from OBD?

ESPN had Whitner rated as the 20th most-talented prospect. The only players ahead of him who could have helped the Bills were Bunkley (character and knee injuries), Ngata (2 down player with questions), and Justice (falling fast in this draft). Looks like Marv picked the sure thing: serious ball hawk who fills a need-position and plays special teams.

Check one Bills' need off the list.

675008[/snapback]

STOP IT!!! YOU'RE MAKING TOO MAKING TOO MUCH SENSE!!!

PTR

Marv from the press conference (now on bb.com)...the last 6 super bowl champions all had pro bowlers or should have been pro bowlers at Strong Safety

2000 Rod Woodson

2001 Lawyer Milloy

2002 John Lynch

2003-04 Rodney Harrison (Should have been)

2005 Troy Palomalu

Thinks Whitmer has this type of talent.

Marv from the press conference (now on bb.com)...the last 6 super bowl champions all had pro bowlers or should have been pro bowlers at Strong Safety

2000 Rod Woodson

2001 Lawyer Milloy

2002 John Lynch

2003-04 Rodney Harrison (Should have been)

2005 Troy Palomalu

Thinks Whitmer has this type of talent.

675329[/snapback]

I liked the quote by Marv...Problem is all those SS's played behind outstanding Front 7's... ;)

I liked the quote by Marv...Problem is all those SS's played behind outstanding Front 7's... ;)

675339[/snapback]

Not to mention we had one of those "All Pros" on the roster and Marv cut him, thereby creating a huge hole. No, I'm not claiming Milloy was great last year but when healthy he's a middle of the pack SS which is good enough. There was no need to cut him and create this huge hole in the D. Same thing goes with Sam Adams. If the Bills were up against the cap I'd understand the moves, but they're not.

yeah, I get it.  He called our pick.  Still doesn't mean that he didn't hear that from the inside.

675343[/snapback]

True...But like I said in that thread Mayock is more of a Scout and less of a League Info guy...But no question he may have heard something... ;)

675339[/snapback]

That they did....but you have to start somewhere...this pick was based on the depth of talent at this particular position in the draft and the ability to fill an immediate need...I am willing to watch the rest of the draft before I pan this. I think they didn't see enough difference between a Ngata and Bunkley and a McCargo, Wright, Watson or Wroten to make a difference but the drop off in safety after Huff and Whitner was pronounced...lets see where we go...

too bad Briere was already taken...

lighten up people, most of us cannot pick a fantasy draft right with proven players...

this boy is from Cleveland, he wants to live in Buffalo... most players don't! Marv is looking for players who can survive and thrive in Buffalo. Huff is from the hot south, all he would be thinking about in December is a hot shower. We needed a safety in a bad way, Marv was right to dump Mulloy just like Belichick before him.

In a year or two (or next year for that matter) if he is a productive player on defense and ST, it will not matter one bit when he was selected.  We just so happened to have the #8 pick and this is the guy we wanted.

675186[/snapback]

There is no doubt this is true, but the real question with picking Whitner is this.....could we have had Whitner AND another pick by trading down to get him? Also, could we have lived with Bunkley, Whitner, or Ngata if we did trade down to try and get Whitner a little bit lower?

I think that's what some of us are mad about!

too bad Briere was already taken...

lighten up people, most of us cannot pick a fantasy draft right with proven players...

this boy is from Cleveland, he wants to live in Buffalo... most players don't! Marv is looking for players who can survive and thrive in Buffalo. Huff is from the hot south, all he would be thinking about in December is a hot shower. We needed a safety in a bad way, Marv was right to dump Mulloy just like Belichick before him.

675436[/snapback]

Seems that some people are overlooking that fact. He even slapped Cleveland during his phone call :(

From article posted on ESPN:

Whitner goes eighth?

No lie, I'd heard from a league source days ago that Bills GM Marv Levy wanted the Ohio State safety. I trust my source but Whitner going in the top 10 seemed so farfetched to me that I didn't believe it, and thus I didn't report it. Too late. But it wasn't a total surprise. For what it's worth I also heard from my source that Bills owner Ralph Wilson was in love with Jay Cutler and that the Bills gave Leinart a second-round grade, young a third-round grade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/colu...hael&id=2426963

I guess they turned down Philly and Denver because they really wanted Whitner.

That bit at the end about the Bills rating Leinart as a 2nd rounder and Young as a 3rd rounder shows NFL teams don't necessarily base their drafts off Mel Kiper's guide. Either that or Ralph is too cheap to buy Kiper's draft guide

That's nice logic. I thought the Bills would take a terribly risky pick and take Ngata. I like this safer pick, now that we have him. If the Bills had selected Ngata, I'd have a huge aching pit of worry in my stomach. With Whitner, I have none. It's a good pick.

Oh, and the guy at NFL.com (Maylock?) had the Bills taking Whitner at #8, in an article just yesterday. You probably know more than him though.

Tell us: who would you have picked? Please go on the record.

675162[/snapback]

A lousy post from start to finish. First off, it's not safe to take a SS #8 overall. Because safety is a lower impact position than, say, DL or left tackle, that SS has to perform at a very high level to justify that kind of pick. Will Whitner become an elite enough SS to justify where he was taken?

Secondly, I never claimed to know more than Maylock or any other draft analyst. Apparently, making this personal is your way of distracting yourself from my less than rose colored message.

As for what I would have done--if I thought Leinart or Cutler would be a significant upgrade over Nall, I'd have taken a QB. If not, I'd have traded down; using a pick in the middle or lower part of the first round to take Mangold. If two of the top three QBs fall to #8, you either pick one of them, or you trade down. One or the other.

Donte Whitner/S/Ohio State

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 205

40 Time: 4.37

Vertical Jump: 40"

Bench Press: 18 reps

Interested Teams: Chicago Bears, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Giants, New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Tennessee Titans

Projected Round: 1st-2nd

Strengths: Whitner is an excellent athlete at the safety position with very good speed. He is a sideline to sideline playmaker who flies around the field and has terrific range. He takes good pursuit angles and is a reliable tackle who can deliver hard hits. Has good ball skills and is overall very solid solid in coverage. Plays bigger than his size and with good toughness. Had a lot of success playing up near the line and blitzing the quarterback. Makes plays behind the line of scrimmage. Is a willing player in run support who displays fearlessness and intensity to help overcome his smaller frame. Has the versatility to play either free safety or strong safety, and he could potentially get a look at cornerback as well.

Weaknesses: Whitner does not have ideal experience. In three years at Ohio State, he was only a full-time starter in his junior season in 2005. Is not quite a complete player yet and may need a year or two to develop and become a starting safety in the NFL. Durability is a small question mark because of a knee injury in the 2004 season. Biggest negative is his size. Does not have good height for a safety and may need to add a little bit of bulk as well. Will be more overmatched against the run against the more physical player of the NFL.

Overall Analysis: Although he probably should have stayed in school for his senior year to gain valuable experience, Whitner is very good prospect with a decent upside because of his athleticism and playmaking ability. He was very productive when on the field, recording 73 tackles (nine for losS) and four sacks, as well as intercepting two passes in 2005. There are relatively few weaknesses to his game other than his size concerns, as he is strong in coverage but can also make plays against the run or when blitzing. Whitner's stock has rose a bit in the offseason after displaying his great athleticism by doing things like running a 4.37 in the 40-yard dash.

Reminds you of: Mike Brown, Chicago Bears

From NFL Draft Almanac.com who ranked him as the 3rd ranked S in the draft behind Huff and Jimmy Williams.