Uplifting Gleason article

Well that was an uplifting article about the Bills staying in Buffalo this morning, wasn't it kid??? Thanks Bucky for making me even more depressed about their staying put. :blink:

At the end of the article he asks what will we do when they're gone. I, for one, will be hard pressed to watch another NFL game. Screw the NFL if our team goes. I'd say I'd pay more attention to the wife and kids, but she tells me they're in college now anyway.

Well that was an uplifting article about the Bills staying in Buffalo this morning, wasn't it kid???  Thanks Bucky for making me even more depressed about their staying put.  :blink: 

At the end of the article he asks what will we do when they're gone.  I, for one, will be hard pressed to watch another NFL game.  Screw the NFL if our team goes.  I'd say I'd pay more attention to the wife and kids, but she tells me they're in college now anyway.

661818[/snapback]

For me, if that day ever comes, the NFL will become a sometime thing. It'll be like college football or basketball. I turn a game on when I can, but I only watch 5 minutes or so. First comercial break and I'm surfing. Root for the team in their new town? Nope, no way no how.

I followed the Braves from Buffalo to San Diego to LA, but not with the same intensity. I don't really know what I'd do. Become a 49er fan? Become part of the RAIDER NATION? I'll probably just lose interest in the NFL.

Bucky Gleason sucks, it just goes to show you how much the Buffalo media has gone down in recent years.  The old guard has gone, from TV, radio, and the print.  When Larry Felser says the Bill ARE moving then I might take notice.

661833[/snapback]

Don't I sound like Ralph with all that "old guard" talk. :blink:

To paraphrase Stephen Colbert, the NFL would be dead to me.

I cannot imagine ever seriously following the NFL if it allowed the Bills to move. I certainly would never have the intense passion for the league or any team that I have now for the Bills.

Well that was an uplifting article about the Bills staying in Buffalo this morning, wasn't it kid???  Thanks Bucky for making me even more depressed about their staying put.  :blink: 

At the end of the article he asks what will we do when they're gone.  I, for one, will be hard pressed to watch another NFL game.  Screw the NFL if our team goes.  I'd say I'd pay more attention to the wife and kids, but she tells me they're in college now anyway.

661818[/snapback]

At least we are not hearing this from TAGS

"Stern questions Seattle's commitment to Sonics"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2407965

While I agree that the Bills moving would be disasterous, I am still an NFL fan. I would still go about watching on Sundays. In time, I might be inclined to hook my wagon to another team (probably the Browns). NO WAY would it replace the love and passion as I had for the Bills, but somehow I'd manage.

The fact that I'm a Fantaasy Football junkie also helps.

Bucky Gleason sucks, it just goes to show you how much the Buffalo media has gone down in recent years.  The old guard has gone, from TV, radio, and the print.  When Larry Felser says the Bill ARE moving then I might take notice.

661833[/snapback]

I agree. The Buffalo News must be the worst place to work in WNY. Every columnist is miserable. Gleason, however, might be the worst. He got a chance to go to the Winter Olympics this year and whined about it the entire week.

I have yet to read an article where I thought he made a good point. I hate to write this, because it's kind of mean, but I really wish the News would fire him. I used to love their sports page (when it was Felser, Kelly, Carruci) and I wish they would make an attempt to return to that quality.

661818[/snapback]

Stories like this will make it even harder for people to invest their hearts (to say nothing of their $$) in the Bills. It could become a self-fulfilling prophesy. Bills fans have shown their willingness to fill the stadium when the product on the field is average, at best. Will they continue to do so when "their" team threatens to become someone else's team?

For me, if that day ever comes, the NFL will become a sometime thing.  It'll be like college football or basketball.  I turn a game on when I can, but I only watch 5 minutes or so.  First comercial break and I'm surfing.  Root for the team in their new town?  Nope, no way no how.

661821[/snapback]

That sums it up pretty well for me too. The passion would definitely be gone. Being born into the curse that is being a Buffalo sports fan sure sucks sometimes :blink:

In true New York State fashion, the result will be the following:

1. NYS and Erie County will each hire their own consultants to prepare their own "feasibility studies" about what to do with the Bills. This will involve County and State officials taking "fact-finding missions" to the Super Bowl, as well as to other warm-weather NFL cities in the middle of winter.

2. NYS and Erie County will each create their own "public agencies" to assist this effort, inculding hiring several dozen new civil service employees to staff these agencies.

3. NYS and Erie County will each conclude that the best solution would be to search for a new owner, offering tremendous tax breaks to the new out-of-the-area owner to take over the team. They will then propose to finance these tax breaks by having a "temporary" sales tax increase as wells a "temporary" surcharges on motor vehicles and property transfers.

4. NYS and Erie County will each then hire outside public relations agencies to "educate" the public these "temporary" taxes and surcharges are the best solution.

I'd be very upset if they left and like many of you, the NFL would pretty much be a casual viewing experience for me. I'd save a nice chunk of change by cancelling the Sunday Ticket on directv, though! All that aside, I really hope it doesn't happen because I love Bills football (even when we stink) and I can't really imagine life without those fall sunday afternoons with my family (my sister and I haven't missed a game together in years) and friends..... and beer. Hell, even my dogs know when a Bills game is coming on because they go and cower in another room until we score and then they come out and dance to the shout song with me. Go Bills!! Maybe I should change that to "Stay Bills!"

Well that was an uplifting article about the Bills staying in Buffalo this morning, wasn't it kid???  Thanks Bucky for making me even more depressed about their staying put.  :rolleyes: 

661818[/snapback]

Dave in VA?!?!? Christ, I thought you were dead!

I'm 35. The Bills have been a daily thought for me since I can remember. I enjoy other sports, especially hockey because of the Sabres, but not even on the same planet as my passion for Bills football

It's my emotional connection to the city I grew up in and love and by extension, the team that represents us, that drives my passion for the Bills.

If this team moves, it no longer represents my city, so I wouldn't give a flying fark about it.

That being said, I don't think the team is going anywhere. When they finally win the big one, I'll be in the stands crying like a little B word and I hope my parents (who have had season tix since the rockpile) are still alive to enjoy it.

RTB

That article made no sense. First he complained that he doesn't believe owners when they say how much money they make and implied Wilosn makes a lot more money than he is claiming. And then he says the Bills don't make enough money.

661924[/snapback]

Its unbelievable that you could like the Clayton article and be mystified by this article.....

Look, Gleason concedes that Ralph Wilson is making money - but points out that some owner could make a ton more money in LA.

Its not that hard....

JDG

Its unbelievable that you could like the Clayton article and be mystified by this article.....

Look, Gleason concedes that Ralph Wilson is making money - but points out that some owner could make a ton more money in LA. 

Its not that hard....

JDG

662545[/snapback]

Not mystified by it, it's just crappy writing and reporting.

In true New York State fashion, the result will be the following:

1. NYS and Erie County will each hire their own consultants to prepare their own "feasibility studies" about what to do with the Bills. This will involve County and State officials taking "fact-finding missions" to the Super Bowl, as well as to other warm-weather NFL cities in the middle of winter.

2. NYS and Erie County will each create their own "public agencies" to assist this effort, inculding hiring several dozen new civil service employees to staff these agencies.

3. NYS and Erie County will each conclude that the best solution would be to search for a new owner, offering tremendous tax breaks to the new out-of-the-area owner to take over the team. They will then propose to finance these tax breaks by having a "temporary" sales tax increase as wells a "temporary" surcharges on motor vehicles and property transfers.

4. NYS and Erie County will each then hire outside public relations agencies to "educate" the public these "temporary" taxes and surcharges are the best solution.

662026[/snapback]

Wow..your post rings so true it is scary. If Buffalo local govt gets involved then the Bills are gone for sure.

That article made no sense. First he complained that he doesn't believe owners when they say how much money they make and implied Wilosn makes a lot more money than he is claiming. And then he says the Bills don't make enough money.

661924[/snapback]

The article was just a personal bellyache without any merit.

Much like hundreds of posts here.

Not mystified by it, it's just crappy writing and reporting.

662576[/snapback]

But Clayton's was a well-written example of great reporting?

Sorry, Kelly, but it *is* possible for good reporting (or in this case, a good opinion column - this wasn't a news article at all) to provide a viewpoint that disagrees with yours.

JDG

But Clayton's was a well-written example of great reporting?

Sorry, Kelly, but it *is* possible for good reporting (or in this case, a good opinion column - this wasn't a news article at all) to provide a viewpoint that disagrees with yours.   

JDG

662637[/snapback]

Go ahead, parse through that article and tell me why it is good reporting and good writing. It isn't that I disagree with him, I agree with most of what he said, that Ralph is crying wolf and lying about his profits. That people in Buffalo care greatly about the Bills. That pro sports are pricing themselves out of the common man. I criticized it because it set up a thesis and then disproved its own thesis. That's bad writing. But if you think that's a good journalistic strategy, to each his own I guess.