Moulds given permission to seek trade

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who thnks the Bills will get a first, second, or third round draft pick, for Eric Moulds, straight up, is seriously delusional. Step away from the crack pipe!

No knock on Eric Moulds, but think of all of the players that have been out there, as trade bate the last few seasons (Drew Brees, Terrell Owens, Edgerin James), and nobody would bite, mainly because they knew these guys would be cut. Daunte Culpepper is the only "superstar" player to be traded recently.

Culpepper, just two seasons away from one of the best in NFL history, only garnered a second round pick. Think about that. A potential franchise QB (according to some) only braught his team a #2 pick in the draft. Why would any team, no matter how desperate for WR help, trade a #1, 2, or 3 for an 11 year vet, who is on the down side of his career?

I think, straight up, the Bills would get no more than a 5th round pick. And that would only come from a team that wants to secure him, before he hits the open market. Anyone interested in Moulds, knows that it is most likely the Bills will cut him....I still say Moulds ends up making nice, and staying with Buffalo. He would likely be willing to take a pay cut to play for a better team, but how much? Even if the Bills cut his remaining salary in half, it is likely considerably more than he will get from any other team....

The Culpepper analogy is somewhat flawed, because he was clearly outplayed in 2005 by Brad Johnson. What happened in 2005 gave credence to the view that Culpepper's prior success had more to do with Randy Moss than with Culpepper. Add to that the uncertainty about whether Culpepper will fully recover from his injury, and that's why his trade value was what it was. If the Vikings really thought he was the answer at QB, they wouldn't have traded him away in the first place.

The Patriots gave up a 2nd round pick for Corey Dillon; a guy who'd been in the league a while. A team that thinks it's a WR away--such as the Eagles--may be willing to give us at least a 2nd round pick. As for simply waiting until the Bills are forced to release Moulds, I don't think that's a viable plan. For one thing, the Bills have enough salary cap space that they could keep Moulds should they choose to do so. On the other hand, I haven't seen a whole lot of high profile free agents on whom the Moulds cap space could be used. So unless the Bills get a competitive trade offer for Moulds, their best option would be to keep him through the 2006 season. Other teams have to know this, and hopefully won't lowball us too much.

Anybody thinking that we may have the ability to trade up with a team like Green Bay. Although i doubt this would happen I think Green Bay would be a perfect fit for Moulds mainly because Javon Walker may not be back to 100% this year.

Could a possible flip flop of first round picks be on the table? I don't know, i've been up for three days drinking in celebration of St. Patricks Day and it's just a theory off the top of my head.

This trade would put us in position for Mario Williams, and we all know that Marv knows the impact of a Bruce Smith.

Just some food for thought.

I don't know, i've been up for three days drinking in celebration of St. Patricks Day and it's just a theory off the top of my head.

638563[/snapback]

Hey, St. Patrick's Day is now five days ago. Time to get some sleep!

straight up, is seriously delusional. Step away from the crack pipe!

No knock on Eric Moulds, but think of all of the players that have been out there, as trade bate the last few seasons (Drew Brees, Terrell Owens, Edgerin James), and nobody would bite, mainly because they knew these guys would be cut.  Daunte Culpepper is the only "superstar" player to be traded recently.

Culpepper, just two seasons away from one of the best in NFL history, only garnered a second round pick.  Think about that.  A potential franchise QB (according to some) only braught his team a #2 pick in the draft.  Why would any team, no matter how desperate for WR help, trade a #1, 2, or 3 for an 11 year vet, who is on the down side of his career? 

I think, straight up, the Bills would get no more than a 5th round pick.  And that would only come from a team that wants to secure him, before he hits the open market.  Anyone interested in Moulds, knows that it is most likely the Bills will cut him....I still say Moulds ends up making nice, and staying with Buffalo.  He would likely be willing to take a pay cut to play for a better team, but how much?  Even if the Bills cut his remaining salary in half, it is likely considerably more than he will get from any other team....

638548[/snapback]

I agree with everything you said except for the last part. I just don't see him playing here next season, even though I'd love to see him stick around.

Great, I am all for making Moulds and his "advisor" do the leg work in trying to find a trade partner. In fact, I've written in previous posts that this was the only path Marv would take. But, the Bills also need to be shopping right now. Moulds would probably love to go to NE or Denver, as I think he is going to try to find the best chance to get to a Super Bowl, but maybe Philly or Minny would offer the Bills more. In the end both the Bills and Moulds will have to agree on who the trade partner will be, but the Bills need to ensure they are getting the best deal they can, as well.

If the Bills can induce a bidding war, I could see the Eagles' winning out with their 2nd round pick (46th overall, I believe).

Marv is playing this perfectly right now. Make Moulds sweat by ignoring his request to be cut, wait for all the top UFA WRs to find teams and then throw this type of challenge at Moulds.

I don't think any team is going to take on Moulds contract, but I was wondering if the Bills cap hit for this year is the same if we trade him or cut him?

638608[/snapback]

The hit is the same. Remember the bonuses that the Bills are still paying do not transfer -- only the base salary does, but I am sure whatever team ends up getting Moulds will have an agreed upon new contract before they make the trade.

The only question is: Is it a buyer's market, or a seller's market?

The auction is over on Day 1 of the Draft.

Teams might be more interested in forgoing a Draft spot for a "proven" vet.

After the Draft, if EM is still a Bill, it will be ugly.

If he holds out, the only compensation we'll get is a pick or two in the 2007 Draft, and we might as well pick our nose for all the good that will do us.

The hit is the same. Remember the bonuses that the Bills are still paying do not transfer -- only the base salary does, but I am sure whatever team ends up getting Moulds will have an agreed upon new contract before they make the trade.

638615[/snapback]

The hit may not be the same.

If cut, the Bills can elect to spread the dead money over 2 years, even if cut before June 1.

However, if he is traded before June 1- I don't think the election applies and the entire dead money may hit the cap in 2006.

This could be relevant since the Bills will need to move him before the draft to get 2006 draft picks.

A team that already has a WR may be willing to draft one if they are building for the future, but a team looking to make a run this year would probably be looking to go with the veteran route since he will make an immediate impact with the team. That would be a team like Philly, Denver, maybe Seattle (if they have an cap room left), possibly Minn. Heck now that they have edge, maybe Arizona could be a spot for him. They have the young receivers, maybe they might want a veteran to help them along. I don't see Marv dealing him somewhere in the AFC East, and if he does, I hope he gets more then just a 1st rounder staright up for him.

The Bills hold the upper hand right now cause they don't have to let him go, if he doesn't play, he doesn't get paid, and the bills are only on the hook for the cap hit we'd have if he was here or not. I don't a veteran at his age will want to sit out for long so he will be gone by the start of the season. Its a bit of a different situation then T.O. cause it was the team that said they wanted him gone. T.O. would have come back to play, but the team suspended him which caused them to lose the leverage cause everyone knew there was no way he was going to stay in Philly.

I don't see Marv dealing him somewhere in the AFC East, and if he does, I hope he gets more then just a 1st rounder staright up for him.

638651[/snapback]

Unfortunately, there is no way we get a first rounder for Moulds. There are definetly teams that will want him because he is still a #1 receiver and that means something, however, we will probably get a 3rd round pick at best.