Boy does air travel stink.....

Now the airlines are getting cheap and asking you to pay for your own in-flight meal. Get a load of this...they want to charge you $5 for a snack box or $5 for a crappy sandwich in flight. To hell with that.....once I found that out I went to the grocery store and bought my own stuff for the flight. What happened to the days of free meals....they weren't great but come on.....talk about nickel and diming you to death.....and the fares have gone up over time.

One cannot truly experience how overpopulated this earth really is with people until you experience flying in an airplane. Now the airlines have cut back on the number of flights so every plane you board from now on will be 95-100% full and even overbooked. If you want the best fares you better book at least 6 months in advance or else the plane will be sold out.

This is the worst I have ever seen it in the airline industry. Planes these days are just cattlecars with jammed with overly-stressed passengers and unhappy employees. Soon we will all need valium just to get through the flight.....what the heck happened here???

what the heck happened here???

634894[/snapback]

It's exensive to fly a plane. Now, with oil prices though the roof, airlines can't afford to have half empty planes flying around.

The meals? Who cares. Like you said, buy a sandwich and a drink before you get on the plane. Not only will it taste better, it allows airlines to bring overall ticket prices down a few bucks.

The planes are packed, and that sucks. No way around it. Airlines get paid by the passanger, and they will get all the money they can get.

The reason all of this happens is because Americans, by a wide margin, will travel on the cheapest flight...period! They will scour the the internet and different companies to find a flight that's about 5 bucks cheaper than the previous one. that's why they don't offer meals. That's why they have to jam so many people in. If American would pay $500.00 for flights with great service and lots of comfort, those options would be there. But until then, everyone will keep going to cheaptickets or orbitz or the dozen other agencies to get the low fair.

Go to Japan/Asia and see the difference. The airlines there charge more but it's like heavan in comparison. That's what sells there.

One cannot truly experience how overpopulated this earth really is with people until you experience flying in an airplane.  Now the airlines have cut  back on the number of flights so every plane you board from now on will be 95-100% full and even overbooked.  If you want the best fares you better book at least 6 months in advance or else the plane will be sold out. 

634894[/snapback]

Interesting summary. I would think by flying one would learn how UNDERpopulated the earth is. Have you looked out the window when flying from the Left to Right coast or visa versa?

There is a lot, alot, of open space. Flying does give people perspective. And it is rather interesting how different those perspectives can be.

Now the airlines are getting cheap and asking you to pay for your own in-flight meal.  Get a load of this...they want to charge you $5 for a snack box or $5 for a crappy sandwich in flight.  To hell with that.....once I found that out I went to the grocery store and bought my own stuff for the flight.  What happened to the days of free meals....they weren't great but come on.....talk about nickel and diming you to death.....and the fares have gone up over time.

One cannot truly experience how overpopulated this earth really is with people until you experience flying in an airplane.  Now the airlines have cut  back on the number of flights so every plane you board from now on will be 95-100% full and even overbooked.  If you want the best fares you better book at least 6 months in advance or else the plane will be sold out. 

This is the worst I have ever seen it in the airline industry.  Planes these days are just cattlecars with jammed with overly-stressed passengers and unhappy employees.  Soon we will all need valium just to get through the flight.....what the heck happened here???

634894[/snapback]

What happened is called DEREGULATION and it happened in 1978! You think the snack boxes are bad, the maintenance is farmed out to the lowest bidder, mostly outside the USA with little or no FAA oversight. Many of the DC-9's (NW) and 737-200's (DL) are 30-35 years old. All those "Lawn Dart" jets are flown by kids who make NO money and have NO experience. Every 2-3 years the Lawn Dart holding companies have to rebid their services with the respective airlines, the seniority deck gets shuffled, and you get another group of young pilots who have agreed to work for less money than the one's they replaced. They all think they'll someday make the big $$$, but those days are gone. Many of the pilots are foreign nationals-not US citizens- who are allowed to work in the USA while if we went to their respective countries to ask for a job they would throw us out! The Lawn Darts choke the Air Traffic System so you see monster delays in EWR, PHL, ORD, SFO almost daily. Everybody gets a cheap fare but the US Taxpayers end up getting stuck with paying airline pensions.

Having said all that, I wish I could tell you it's going to get better! :lol:

Did you hear that NWA now charges an extra $15 for "premium seats" in the exit row and select aisle row seats? These are the "desirable" seats, so they're trying to make extra money off of it. The report said that they'd make roughly $22,000,000/year by doing this, assuming people paid. Wow, all those nickels add up....

CW

Did you hear that NWA now charges an extra $15 for "premium seats" in the exit row.....

CW

634990[/snapback]

Exactly how can they determine if the person buying the ticket for the extra $15 is capable of being in the exit row? Would they refund the difference if a little old lady showed up with that ticket?

My problem with the airlines is the over-booking practice. You're gonna tell me I got bumped because you over-booked the damn plane? Hell no, sell one ticket per freakin seat and no more! I'm waiting for the government to get off their ass and make this illegal.

Exactly how can they determine if the person buying the ticket for the extra $15 is capable of being in the exit row? Would they refund the difference if a little old lady showed up with that ticket?

My problem with the airlines is the over-booking practice. You're gonna tell me I got bumped because you over-booked the damn plane? Hell no, sell one ticket per freakin seat and no more! I'm waiting for the government to get off their ass and make this illegal.

635087[/snapback]

They're not selling the seat directly by the exit door, just the other two seats. Go to NWA.com, try picking a flight, and then look at the seat map and you'll see it. It was reported in the news a few days ago.

The whole "physically capable" thing is a crock anyway, IMHO.

CW

Jet Blue...about $175 coast to coast. New planes (jets), leather seats, 30-some channels of Direct TV for every passenger.

No meals (who cares? ariplane food is almost as bad as Denny's) but their snacks are top-notch and they welcome outside food. Beer, wine and booze at $5 is a little high, but cheaper than the airport. (Want to save a few bucks? Put a water bottle filled with vodka in your carry-on. Then you can mix your own cocktails with their free mixers and ice...ya cheap bastards.)

All-in-all, a pretty good deal, IMO.

It's all a numbers game! Not as bad as the CBA but still all numbers. The Airlines are betting that a certain percentage of passengers will no-show so they overbook by a more or less equivalent amount to try to fill ALL the seats. They win some and they lose some but when they lose they end up with pissed off passengers.

As for the government stepping in-forget about it! The airlines are deregulated. If they were regulated or re-regulated the government would tell the airlines where and when they could fly and also approve the fares. The fares would be based on the actual recovery of operating costs...including fuel... and that would be the end of cheap fares. That would also solve the air traffic delays because there would be fewer airliners in the system.

Before you hold your breath waiting for the government to do something keep notice of the government politicians. When was the last time you saw any of them flying on an airline? :lol:

Go to Japan/Asia and see the difference. The airlines there charge more but it's like heavan in comparison. That's what sells there.

Got to agree there. And the food is actually good. Choice between western style and Japanese meals. ANA leaves a self service galley open, you can make sandwiches, noodles, ice cream and stuff. Along with the individual TV and movie screens, tons of video games. Comfortable seats with footrests in coach. If one finds themselves going that way, book JAL, Cathay Pacific or ANA. Korean Air leaves a bit to be desired.

Oh, all young and pretty flight attendants, too.

Are you serious with this thread? Bitching about paying $5 for a sandwhich? If you don't like it, drive. I used to fly round trip from West Palm Beach to Buffalo for $150-$180 on a regular basis. Took 5 hours. Then, when I moved back, I obviously drove. Took me 20 hours, and about $120 in gas, plus $90 for a hotel room after the first 16 hours. Yeah, air travel is a rip off. :lol:

Are you serious with this thread? Bitching about paying $5 for a sandwhich? If you don't like it, drive. I used to fly round trip from West Palm Beach to Buffalo for $150-$180 on a regular basis. Took 5 hours. Then, when I moved back, I obviously drove. Took me 20 hours, and about $120 in gas, plus $90 for a hotel room after the first 16 hours. Yeah, air travel is a rip off.   :lol:

635331[/snapback]

If people will pay, let 'em charge. There are alternatives. The "budget" airlines, the cars, government-subsidized Amtrack. Major airlines are pissing money so they're obviously not charging enough to cover what they do offer (the reasons for this can be debated to no end, unions, fuel, poor practices, and so on...).

It'll cost you a hell of a lot to drive, just not in one place.... take 2000 miles, 4 tanks @ $35 a tank... two nights @ $150 a night, two meals a day @ $10 a pop (per person).... that's $460 for a single person. Driving is much more economical if you're traveling as a family, but for a single person, flying is almost always cheaper from what I've seen.

Hey, at least they let you keep the headphones now.

Personally, I'd *rather* drive. Not because of the price, but because I *loathe* flying. I've flown probably 75 times and I still panic at every take-off and landing. Never fails. Each time.. "We should have stopped by now. We shouldn't be moving. The plane should have come to a stop!" Or, at take off, "why aren't we in the air yet? This is taking too long. We should be in the air. He needs to stop or he's not going to have enough room and we'll run off the runway!" Throw in the fact that travel (air, car, train, any form) always brings out the worst in people and I'd rather spend 2000 miles behind the wheel of my XTerra listening to the same CD spin over and over and over.

-Jeff

Dont forget about 50 bucks of every airline ticket goes to the government in the form of taxes.

Oil Prices (up)

Union Labor Costs (up) CEO pay way UP  :lol:

Taxes (up)

Not hard to do the math...

634988[/snapback]

union labor cost down . WAGE cuts . just what i want to do get on a plane when the guy that made $28 dollars an hour is now making $15 . or they are farming it out to XYZ company with cheap labor .

Did you hear that NWA now charges an extra $15 for "premium seats" in the exit row and select aisle row seats?  These are the "desirable" seats, so they're trying to make extra money off of it.  The report said that they'd make roughly $22,000,000/year by doing this, assuming people paid.  Wow, all those nickels add up....

CW

634990[/snapback]

Does anyone else think that when Northwest went to NWA it was pretty funny. So what's their slogan? Fly NWA, we'll get you out of the 'hood for good.

What happened is called DEREGULATION and it happened in 1978!  You think the snack boxes are bad, the maintenance is farmed out to the lowest bidder, mostly outside the USA with little or no FAA oversight.  Many of the DC-9's (NW) and 737-200's (DL) are 30-35 years old.  All those "Lawn Dart" jets are flown by kids who make NO money and have NO experience.  Every 2-3 years the Lawn Dart holding companies have to rebid their services with the respective airlines, the seniority deck gets shuffled, and you get another group of young pilots who have agreed to work for less money than the one's they replaced.  They all think they'll someday make the big $$$, but those days are gone.  Many of the pilots are foreign nationals-not US citizens- who are allowed to work in the USA while if we went to their respective countries to ask for a job they would throw us out!  The Lawn Darts choke the Air Traffic System so you see monster delays in EWR, PHL, ORD, SFO almost daily.  Everybody gets a cheap fare but the US Taxpayers end up getting stuck with paying airline pensions.

Having said all that, I wish I could tell you it's going to get better! :lol:

634956[/snapback]

Yeah, and those "Lawn Darts" have been falling out of the sky left and right lately. :P

union labor cost down . WAGE cuts . just what i want to do get on a plane when the guy that made $28 dollars an hour is now making $15 . or they are farming it out to XYZ company with cheap labor .

635344[/snapback]

$28? Surely you're referring to wing-waxer:

http://www.willflyforfood.cc/Payscales/DeltaPay.htm

I find it funny they have a profit sharing plan!

Seriously though, these airlines need to start diferentiating themselves. Jet Blue and Southwest are the only two that do anything different, and shockingly they are 2 of the most loved and sucessful airlines.

I particularly like Jet Blues seat arrangement. Nobody likes to sit in the back of the plane, so they made those seats just a little larger. More leg room etc... makes sense to me.

But operating costs are going up, taxes are high reducing the amount of cash the airlines even see. Its a horrible business. Need to create a manhattan project for teleportation....

But operating costs are going up, taxes are high reducing the amount of cash the airlines even see.  Its a horrible business.  Need to create a manhattan project for teleportation....

635374[/snapback]

speaking of taxes I have to finish doing my NY state sales taxes . due tomarrow :doh:

Let me make sure I got this right.

Air travel sucks because the plane is full and you have to pay five bucks for a sandwich. So in an effort to enhance air travel, you want the airlines to hand out bad food for free and continue to fly planes that are only half full

You're going to make someone a terrific CEO one day.

Let me make sure I got this right.

Air travel sucks because the plane is full and you have to pay five bucks for a sandwich. So in an effort to enhance air travel, you want the airlines to hand out bad food for free and continue to fly planes that are only half full

You're going to make someone a terrific CEO one day.

635423[/snapback]

I'm not a big Donald Trump fan, but he was on Larry King a couple of weeks ago. King asked him about airlines and such. Trump said that the airline business is the wordt thing to get into. Semi-private / private air travel, according to Trump, is the next big thing.

I'm not a big Donald Trump fan, but he was on Larry King a couple of weeks ago.  King asked him about airlines and such.  Trump said that the airline business is the wordt thing to get into.  Semi-private / private air travel, according to Trump, is the next big thing.

635829[/snapback]

As I fly quite often, I have read pretty extensively on this subject. There are now plans in place for airlines that will have super lighweight jets that hold up to five passengers that will fly out of the outer airports and cater to business travelers. When I say outer airports, I man the really small ones where private planes fly now, not just small commercial airports. For example, in DC may fly out of Stafford or Manassas or Montgomery airparks. Benefit to travelers will be little security hassles, and less wait times and cancelled, overbooked flights etc. There is also talk within a decade these type of aircraft could be flown automtaically, as in NO pilots, though not to sure i would want to get on them. You should start hearing about these airlines within the next two years, as they are funded and and getting there poop together.

In terms of commercial airlines, I really have no beef with them. As I said, I fly quite often. I am also 42, and remeber when flying used to be only for the well off, not avaialble for the great unwashed as it is today. So, if ya want compittion, and cheaper prices, be prepared to forgo some of the benefits of a regulated industry.I would be willing to bet that prices for flights now are less than half what they were in relative terms before dereg.

Also, for those that fly often, there is a new program in that is about to begin called a Registered Traveler Program. Here are the specifics from the TSA. Loks like will be up and running in summer sometime. http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=8&...9000519800b4ddd

know I'll pay the $80(what it costs in orlando) to save the time.

Jet Blue...about $175 coast to coast. New planes (jets), leather seats, 30-some channels of Direct TV for every passenger.

No meals (who cares? ariplane food is almost as bad as Denny's) but their snacks are top-notch and they welcome outside food. Beer, wine and booze at $5 is a little high, but cheaper than the airport. (Want to save a few bucks? Put a water bottle filled with vodka in your carry-on. Then you can mix your own cocktails with their free mixers and ice...ya cheap bastards.)

All-in-all, a pretty good deal, IMO.

Jet Blue is the best airline in America, bar none.

And yes, they welcome outside food. Remember once I hadn't been back to Buffalo for a while, on my to Buffalo International to head back to NYC, I called and found out the flight was delayed. Detoured at La Nova. Yep, brought on a large cheese/pepperoni pizza and just enjoyed it the whole flight home.

Mixed well with the vodka/iced teas I was making in the seat. Had the stewardess grab me a few bottles of Vodka in exchange for two slices. Great trade.