Bears DE Idonije signs offer sheet with Bills

Spanky46

The Bears will have seven days to match, and with $9.6 million of cap room, they are expected to do so. The Bears aren't saying exactly what they are going to do. New Bills coach Dick Jauron has enough knowledge from his days as the Bears' coach to project how Idonije will fit into Buffalo's new defense.

:devil:

So let me get this straight Clayton...The Bears are expected to match the offer, but you arent sure what they are going to do?

Does anyone at ESPN proof-read these things?

The Bears will have seven days to match, and with $9.6 million of cap room, they are expected to do so. The Bears aren't saying exactly what they are going to do. New Bills coach Dick Jauron has enough knowledge from his days as the Bears' coach to project how Idonije will fit into Buffalo's new defense.

So let me get this straight Clayton...The Bears are expected to match the offer, but you arent sure what they are going to do?

634768[/snapback]

Anyone geting the idea that Marv and his staff are working very, very, hard to find value wherever they can.? Signing two RFA's is bold. We may not get either of them but Marv and Co are being creative and unconventional and I like it! I'll bet that this guy and Wells turn out to be solid players and I hope we can pull it off.

And to all the nay sayers... we already they two guys are not well known players, Pro Bowlers, or super stars.

634768[/snapback]

Clayton is mearly reporting that he expects the Bears to match but have yet to go on record to say they are. Idonije's upside is quite high but think the contract we offered was a bit high for a guy who hasn't proven much in the NFL. The only thing I like is if we do land him is they'll be no compensation as think the Bears original tendered him the minimal tender.

This is great, great news! Izzy is a Manitoba Canada boy and plays the game really hard because he feels blessed to be in the NFL. Total class player and a great addition to the city of Buffalo. Trust me, I went to school with him thru University. The man is good for the Bills.

:devil:;):)

634768[/snapback]

I think you need to proofread your own post before proposing the ESPN question.

The Bears will have seven days to match, and with $9.6 million of cap room, they are expected to do so. ---The are expected t match the offer BECUASE they have the cap room.----However----The Bears aren't saying exactly what they are going to do. No mention in there of what you stated---So let me get this straight Clayton...The Bears are expected to match the offer, but you arent sure what they are going to do?

It was very clear to me--Bears expected to match offer because of their cap room, however the Bears are not stating what position they are taking on matching the offer or not. Its just an expectation that they will. Which means we are not throwing crazy money at him and essentially the Bills just did the Bears work for them.---Where is our commision check?????

I think you need to proofread your own post before proposing the ESPN question.

The Bears will have seven days to match, and with $9.6 million of cap room, they are expected to do so. ---The are expected t match the offer BECUASE they have the cap room.----However----The Bears aren't saying exactly what they are going to do. No mention in there of  what you stated---So let me get this straight Clayton...The Bears are expected to match the offer, but you arent sure what they are going to do?

It was very clear to me--Bears expected to match offer because of their cap room, however the Bears are not stating what position they are taking on matching the offer or not. Its just an expectation that they will. Which means we are not throwing crazy money at him and essentially the Bills just did the Bears work for them.---Where is our commision check?????

634782[/snapback]

That was almost as confusing as the original ESPN article!

To me, coming out saying that the Bears are EXPECTED to do something means they've given an indication they are going to go and match the offer. Clearly, Clayton feels strongly enough in his own assertions by claiming the Bears will match...and yet then the very next sentence he states that the Bears arent making it known what they are going to do...so is Clayton just guessing here?

I see your point that he could be referring to the Bears not showing their hand, but to me it seems poorly written and confusing. His first sentence makes it sound like he's completely confident, then he immediately seems to give himself an escape route in case the Bears dont match it so he can just say "Oh well, I said they weren't sure! Cant blame me!". Very wishy-washy if you ask me, but thats how The Nerd writes. I know, I know...I'm being a journalist Nazi here, but I'd like to think the national media has some standards for reporting here.

By the way, if he is just guessing at this point...how can I get under an ESPN contract and just guesstimate my way to a weekly paycheck?

That was almost as confusing as the original ESPN article!

To me, coming out saying that the Bears are EXPECTED to do something means they've given an indication they are going to go and match the offer.  Clearly, Clayton feels strongly enough in his own assertions by claiming the Bears will match...and yet then the very next sentence he states that the Bears arent making it known what they are going to do...so is Clayton just guessing here?

I see your point that he could be referring to the Bears not showing their hand, but to me it seems poorly written and confusing.  His first sentence makes it sound like he's completely confident, then he immediately seems to give himself an escape route in case the Bears dont match it so he can just say "Oh well, I said they weren't sure!  Cant blame me!".  Very wishy-washy if you ask me, but thats how The Nerd writes.  I know, I know...I'm being a journalist Nazi here, but I'd like to think the national media has some standards for reporting here.

By the way, if he is just guessing at this point...how can I get under an ESPN contract and just guesstimate my way to a weekly paycheck?

634787[/snapback]

That is why Clayton is an analyst and not an anchorman. He is paid to give us his views on what is going on and what will happen, based on his insight and experience. In particular, the value he brings is the ability to read between the lines and tell us about what isn't being said. Otherwise, he would just be reading the teleprompter. (Whether his ability is actually worth anything is a seperate question.)

Anyone geting the idea that Marv and his staff are working very, very, hard to find value wherever they can.? Signing two RFA's is bold.  We may not get either of them but Marv and Co are being creative and unconventional and I like it!  I'll bet that this guy and Wells turn out to be solid players and I hope we can pull it off.

And to all the nay sayers... we already they two guys are not well known players, Pro Bowlers, or super stars.

634773[/snapback]

This is very sharp indeed. Even in the event that we don't get the players we've forced a couple of teams to use up valuable cap dollars in an effort to retain their players.

This is very sharp indeed.  Even in the event that we don't get the players we've forced a couple of teams to use up valuable cap dollars in an effort to retain their players.

634909[/snapback]

For which Daniel Snyder is not doubt, very grateful. :lol:

Great size on that Kid, i googled him, not over him, he doesn't look that big, but if he is great, the bears make him sound like he is a real sound player, I watched them maybe twice this year, and I recall the name but can't remember if he did anything special.

If we get him great, but we shouldn't sit and wait

He played 11 games with 16 tackles :lol: ? Wow what a pickup this guy would be. :P

It's so sad how you guys are so willing to hang onto anything no matter how insignificant it is.

Here is a novel idea. Lets go after a player who may actualy help the Bills. The Jets seem willing to part with John Abraham? Why not make a play? All this garbage picking the Bills are doing is nuts. :lol:

If the Bears do not match the offer will they get a draft pick from us?

635261[/snapback]

No as the Bears only tendered him the lowest tender and because he wasn't drafted no draft pick (from us) would be given as compensation. It's like when we signed Lindell, he was a RFA at the time but wasn't drafted so again we didn't end up giving the Seahawks anything.

Bills | Chicago thinking over Idonije offer sheet

Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:32:49 -0800

John Mullin and K.C. Johnson, of the Chicago Tribune, report the Chicago Bears will have further internal discussions Monday, March 20, on whether to match the four-year, $8.2 million offer sheet that restricted free agent DL Israel Idonije signed with the Buffalo Bills. The Bears are leaning toward doing so.

Bills | Chicago thinking over Idonije offer sheet

Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:32:49 -0800

John Mullin and K.C. Johnson, of the Chicago Tribune, report the Chicago Bears will have further internal discussions Monday, March 20, on whether to match the four-year, $8.2 million offer sheet that restricted free agent DL Israel Idonije signed with the Buffalo Bills. The Bears are leaning toward doing so.

635741[/snapback]

Somebody help me out here. According to this story http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/200...498418-sun.html

Israel gets his $1.8m signing bonus EVEN IF THE BEARS MATCH? Is the author wacked or is that really how it works? And then how does that count against the salary cap?

Somebody help me out here. According to this story http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/200...498418-sun.html 

Israel gets his $1.8m signing bonus EVEN IF THE BEARS MATCH? Is the author wacked or is that really how it works? And then how does that count against the salary cap?

637500[/snapback]

Ummmm, yeah, that's the point of "matching." If the Bears choose to "match" the offer, that means they have to pay him a $1.8M signing bonus...

637500[/snapback]

He gets the $1.8 million signing bonus wth the Bears if they decide to match the offer. Buffalo doesn't pay it if they match.

i read that the rfa defensive tackle from the bears that the bills are courting will get the signing bonus from buffalo whether he comes here or not. i read it was 1.7 or 1.8 million. are the bills really that confident that the bears won't match their offer, or do they have money to burn? we lost out on wells, what's to say we'll get the guy from chicago?

He played 11 games with 16 tackles :lol: ? Wow what a pickup this guy would be. :lol:

It's so sad how you guys are so willing to hang onto anything no matter how insignificant it is.

Here is a novel idea. Lets go after a player who may actualy help the Bills. The Jets seem willing to part with John Abraham? Why not make a play? All this garbage picking the Bills are doing is nuts.  :devil:

635240[/snapback]

Abraham? Do you really think that is the best way to spend limited resources? That his value would exceed his cost? If a deal could be worked that would make him a good value, then I'm all for it.

As a small market team, but really any team in a salary cap league, our goal is to get value in players, whether a big talent big paycheck or small talent small paycheck. Getting a big name sucks if he costs too much and limits the team in other areas, getting a small talent sucks if he costs more than he is worth too. I am not enough of a football superfan to know if Idonije is worth it or not, but if his value is more than his cost then he makes sense.

The "Let's get Petyon Manning and Julius Peppers and Ladaiman Tomlinson and Jonothan Ogden or we are a bunch of losers and Marv should be run out of town" mentality just doesn't work. Let's make deals that improve this team and are good value at every level. Whether some of that is considered "garbage picking" by you doesn't matter. I think a lot of New England's moves in recent years would be considered garbage picking. I'd rather follow that philosophy than the Redskins method you are suggesting. What I really hope is we can get some big talent bigger name values too, but each aquisition needs to make sense as a good value.

i read that the rfa defensive tackle from the bears that the bills are courting will get the signing bonus from buffalo whether he comes here or not.  i read it was 1.7 or 1.8 million.  are the bills really that confident that the bears won't match their offer, or do they have money to burn?  we lost out on wells, what's to say we'll get the guy from chicago?

637785[/snapback]

Maybe Idonije will end up being a gift because the Bears wouldn't let us have Bob Babich as our D-coordinator when they blocked us from interviewing him by naming him assistant head coach.