What do you do for a living?

DC Mom

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I own my own dot.com.  Want to buy some stock?

PTR

633008[/snapback]

I already lost a quarter million in dotcoms...-so i went and bought a rental house and made it all back in 4 years. I dont think Im gonna get too many second chances like that..

More academic, less genuine.

632827[/snapback]

I do the academic philosophy myself, as a professor at a liberal arts college. I found out long ago that the profession is such that there is very little of the genuine stuff going on anymore. It can get rather depressing.

What area of philosophy are you interested in?

Grad student at Florida St. in Biomedical Engineering. I play around with stem cells and try to turn them into cardiomyocytes (heart muscle cells) Then i jam then into a big ass NMR magnet and learn about their metabolic properties. :D

632902[/snapback]

I'm a bit weary about this whole biomedical engineering field...i feel like i was issued a false bill of goods before I started this thing...99% of the people involved as biomedical engineering faculty are biologists, MD's or chemical/mechanical engineers...they collaborate together to create this area they call biomedical engineering...and then they lure poor students in to do their research and become jack of all trades and master of none...i'm about to get my doctorate in chemical engineering in a few months with my thesis focusing in the area of bioengineering and the job search is really tough

if someone wants a microbiologist, they'll hire a microbio phd

if someone wants an organic chemist, they'll hire a chemist

if someone wants a chemical engineer, they'll hire a chemical enginner

the dean of engineering at UB told me that he's resisted adding bioengineering to the engineering school because the job market just isn't there (despite what the media says)...if you get an undergrad degree in it, you'd better go to graduate school...and if you do, you might be pigeonholed into academics (which is fine if that's what you want to do)

anyhow, I'm a chemical engineering PhD student full time and an assistant swim coach also...if i don't find a job (I'm trying to stay in WNY now due to my wife's job) I may end up as a PhD swim coach praying for the next Michael Phelps to appear as my swimmer...maybe I'm painting the situation to be worse than it really is, but my job search definetely is not going well...the other problem is being overqualified...PhD's are really damn specific and cost more to hire...HR might just toss your resume aside if your set of skills isn't specific enough for them...I'm considering sending out CV's with just my MS degree on it to avoid specificity and being overqualified

Graduated from West Virginia University with a bachelors in Sport Management.....

but after a year of frustrating "thanks but we need 2-3 years of experience for an entry lvl position" I went into the police academy and am currently working as a local cop and hoping to become an FBI agent in the next 3 years.

Actual position description: Computer Scientist w/Federal Agency

What I really do : Computer security w/Federal Agency as well as

Jack of MOST trades and

the person that pisses you off when you hear from me :D

EVeryone here has really cool jobs!

I'm a social worker. I applied to and interviewed for a Homeland Security position (a good buddy of mine is a special agent), so we'll see about that.

is everone happy with the job you have ?? ---------------------------------

I think most of you want to be the GM of the bills . :D  :D i just want to be the toilet cleaner .

633177[/snapback]

when i was 12 i wrote a letter to Patrick McGroder asking him for a job with the organization. he wrote a personal letter back to me thanking me for my interest and to get back to him when i was a little older. he included a media guide. i thought it was the greatest thing ever!

Investigator for one of the many Govt. agencies out there.

633160[/snapback]

It's OK, you can say you're with the IRS. We won't say anything - it's too close to April 15th to draw your ire! :D

As for me, I don't have a job. After years of sales and sales management, I had enough. I've gone back to school to learn me somethin'.

when i was 12 i wrote a letter to Patrick McGroder asking him for a job with the organization.  he wrote a personal letter back to me thanking me for my interest and to get back to him when i was a little older.  he included a media guide.  i thought it was the greatest thing ever!

633192[/snapback]

You are older now, right? Did you get back to him?