Interesting Bills Report Article

Apologies if already posted

Look For Levy To Put End To QB Circus

Buffalo Bills quarterback Kelly Holcomb scrambles against the Oakland Raiders, October 23, 2005. (AP Photo)

By Pat Moran

Date: Mar 15, 2006

It's my observation that Marv Levy is not high on J.P. Losman, not one tiny bit. From what I’ve heard he’s about as high on Losman as Larry Brown is with Stephen Marbury. There's something about Losman that Levy doesn't like, and by reading between the lines bringing in a third quarterback for an open competition is anything but an endorsement for the Losman’s future.

It's my observation that Marv Levy is not high on J.P. Losman, not one tiny bit. From what I’ve heard he’s about as high on Losman as Larry Brown is with Stephen Marbury. There's something about Losman that Levy doesn't like, and by reading between the lines bringing in a third quarterback for an open competition is anything but an endorsement for the Losman’s future.

Whether anyone concurs with what Levy is doing/has done so far since becoming general manager, there's one thing that is without question; Levy comprehends what it takes to win in the NFL.

Levy also knows that all aspects of the team are imperative but none more so than the quarterback. While the interior lines have and will be continued to be address, Levy knows the quickest path to the playoffs is by having his franchise quarterback. Let’s call it his version of Jim Kelly.

Losman isn't his Jim Kelly.

The Bills pick eighth in the NFL draft. Gossip speculates widely that the pick will be Haloti Ngata, the run-stuffing defensive tackle. Many think it could be Texas defensive back Michael Huff. An offensive tackle like Winston Justice is a possibility.

The feeling here is it will be none of the above. It will be a quarterback.

Just a few weeks ago the consensus was neither Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler or Vince Young would be available at the eighth pick. New Orleans, Tennessee and the New York Jets were expected to gobble them up between picks two through four.

Things have changed. New Orleans just inked Drew Brees to a $60 million dollar deal. The Jets are close to pulling off a trade with Washington for Patrick Ramsey. Tennessee is still likely to draft a quarterback even though Steve McNair will be back for at least one more year and Billy Volek is still on the roster.

The next two teams selecting, Green Bay and San Francisco are not taking a quarterback. The Raiders picking seventh may take one of the big three, even though they have holes all over and drafted Andrew Walter in the third round just one year ago.

Arizona picks tenth but is always a threat to move up for a quarterback despite Kurt Warner signing a three-year extension. Detroit picks ninth but just signed Jon Kitna to compete with Joey Harrington. Both teams desperately need help on the offensive line.

None of the next seven teams picking need a quarterback and any team selecting after would have to give up the farm to move into the top seven.

That leaves Buffalo at pick eight with at least one if not two of the big three on the board to take.

The issue then becomes if Levy feels that Losman is his version of Jim Kelly. Normally this part of the column is where I'd throw stats out to support my point. With Losman that's senseless because everybody knows he was slighted last year due to selfish veterans like Eric Moulds and a game-day dummy coach in Mike Mularkey, who did nothing more than coach for his job.

In one season Losman went from being handed the starting job before training camp to not having a fair shake to keep it by season's end. Still, it's not a promising sign Levy's even exploring other quarterback options.

Secretly, I'm sure head coach Dick Jauron doesn't fancy another Chicago situation; where it was Jim Miller one week, Shane Matthews the next and Chris Chandler the following. Forget the competition is healthy talk he alludes to. He wants his guy from day one of camp. Leave the competition for the special teams, which by the way Buffalo is dominant at.

Nothing brings solidity to an organization quite like an undisputed starting quarterback being your leader. If you don’t believe me, pose this question to Bill Cowher.

I sense Levy worries about Losman mentally. For all his physical gifts, and he has many, one has to wonder about his mental capacity. Not all is his fault; Mularkey did a lot of this to him. What's going to happen if Losman starts the season but struggles early? At what point does Jauron get overly conservative, which fits Losman about as good as a run and shoot offense fits Bill Parcels? How long will it be before teammates start whispering (or shouting) for Kelly Holcomb and a change at quarterback happens?

If Levy could end up with Cutler he'd be idiotic to pass because we already have two. Cutler has a cannon arm every bit as strong as Losman. He also appears mentally sound and didn't have to endure what Losman went through last season, something I cast doubt on Losman mentally recovering from. Cutler has an attitude and swagger to him the Bills haven’t seen since the days of Kelly, and I'm not talking about Holcomb.

With Young things get much more dicey. A lot of critics cite his unorthodox delivery and lack of playing under center in college as a detriment. His mental capacity is now in reservation after the combine. He'd be much more of a project than Cutler. But one thing you can't look past is how successful and poised he was at Texas.

Did everyone forget about the national championship game versus USC? Young nearly single-handedly beat the Trojans. He beat them with his legs. That's physical ability that will make him successful in the NFL. What many don't remember was he was directly on target with almost all of his passes. He didn't force anything down the field; he simply took what USC gave him and when he felt the pressure he took off running. He possesses composure and instincts that can't be taught.

One thing is certain. Kelly Holcomb will not be the guy to take this team anywhere, unless six to eight wins is measured as a fine season.

There’s a plethora of other veteran quarterbacks out there Levy could bring into the mix in Buffalo. Aaron Brooks, Kerry Collins and Gus Ferrotte to name a few. But does what Levy really need is another recycled quarterback on this team in dire need of a leader? The morale of this story folks is Levy is bringing another quarterback into the fray and if Cutler or Young is available it may be much sooner than later. Like it or not, Buffalo is in rebuilding mode. They're not going to overtake New England or even Miami in the AFC East in one year.

Nothing personal against Losman, I actually like him. But the reality remains he was a Tom Donahoe guy. Levy probably likes him as well, but this isn't Donahoe's team anymore. It's Marv's team and by the time the draft is over; he's going to get his Jim Kelly. While a quarterback isn't necessarily a "need" pick, it's the most important player on the team.

Trust me, Marv Levy knows this. He’s not going to play the quarterback shuffle.

The three-ring circus ends on April 29 when either Cutler or Young become the ringmaster.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo Bills quarterback Kelly Holcomb scrambles against the Oakland Raiders, October 23, 2005. (AP Photo)

By Pat Moran

Whether anyone concurs with what Levy is doing/has done so far since becoming general manager, there's one thing that is without question; Levy comprehends what it takes to win in the NFL.

Levy also knows that all aspects of the team are imperative but none more so than the quarterback. While the interior lines have and will be continued to be address, Levy knows the quickest path to the playoffs is by having his franchise quarterback. Let’s call it his version of Jim Kelly.

The Bills pick eighth in the NFL draft. Gossip speculates widely that the pick will be Haloti Ngata, the run-stuffing defensive tackle. Many think it could be Texas defensive back Michael Huff. An offensive tackle like Winston Justice is a possibility.

Just a few weeks ago the consensus was neither Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler or Vince Young would be available at the eighth pick. New Orleans, Tennessee and the New York Jets were expected to gobble them up between picks two through four.

Things have changed. New Orleans just inked Drew Brees to a $60 million dollar deal. The Jets are close to pulling off a trade with Washington for Patrick Ramsey. Tennessee is still likely to draft a quarterback even though Steve McNair will be back for at least one more year and Billy Volek is still on the roster.

The next two teams selecting, Green Bay and San Francisco are not taking a quarterback. The Raiders picking seventh may take one of the big three, even though they have holes all over and drafted Andrew Walter in the third round just one year ago.

Arizona picks tenth but is always a threat to move up for a quarterback despite Kurt Warner signing a three-year extension. Detroit picks ninth but just signed Jon Kitna to compete with Joey Harrington. Both teams desperately need help on the offensive line.

None of the next seven teams picking need a quarterback and any team selecting after would have to give up the farm to move into the top seven.

That leaves Buffalo at pick eight with at least one if not two of the big three on the board to take.

The issue then becomes if Levy feels that Losman is his version of Jim Kelly. Normally this part of the column is where I'd throw stats out to support my point. With Losman that's senseless because everybody knows he was slighted last year due to selfish veterans like Eric Moulds and a game-day dummy coach in Mike Mularkey, who did nothing more than coach for his job.

In one season Losman went from being handed the starting job before training camp to not having a fair shake to keep it by season's end. Still, it's not a promising sign Levy's even exploring other quarterback options.

Secretly, I'm sure head coach Dick Jauron doesn't fancy another Chicago situation; where it was Jim Miller one week, Shane Matthews the next and Chris Chandler the following. Forget the competition is healthy talk he alludes to. He wants his guy from day one of camp. Leave the competition for the special teams, which by the way Buffalo is dominant at.

Nothing brings solidity to an organization quite like an undisputed starting quarterback being your leader. If you don’t believe me, pose this question to Bill Cowher.

I sense Levy worries about Losman mentally. For all his physical gifts, and he has many, one has to wonder about his mental capacity. Not all is his fault; Mularkey did a lot of this to him. What's going to happen if Losman starts the season but struggles early? At what point does Jauron get overly conservative, which fits Losman about as good as a run and shoot offense fits Bill Parcels? How long will it be before teammates start whispering (or shouting) for Kelly Holcomb and a change at quarterback happens?

If Levy could end up with Cutler he'd be idiotic to pass because we already have two. Cutler has a cannon arm every bit as strong as Losman. He also appears mentally sound and didn't have to endure what Losman went through last season, something I cast doubt on Losman mentally recovering from. Cutler has an attitude and swagger to him the Bills haven’t seen since the days of Kelly, and I'm not talking about Holcomb.

With Young things get much more dicey. A lot of critics cite his unorthodox delivery and lack of playing under center in college as a detriment. His mental capacity is now in reservation after the combine. He'd be much more of a project than Cutler. But one thing you can't look past is how successful and poised he was at Texas.

Did everyone forget about the national championship game versus USC? Young nearly single-handedly beat the Trojans. He beat them with his legs. That's physical ability that will make him successful in the NFL. What many don't remember was he was directly on target with almost all of his passes. He didn't force anything down the field; he simply took what USC gave him and when he felt the pressure he took off running. He possesses composure and instincts that can't be taught.

One thing is certain. Kelly Holcomb will not be the guy to take this team anywhere, unless six to eight wins is measured as a fine season.

There’s a plethora of other veteran quarterbacks out there Levy could bring into the mix in Buffalo. Aaron Brooks, Kerry Collins and Gus Ferrotte to name a few. But does what Levy really need is another recycled quarterback on this team in dire need of a leader? The morale of this story folks is Levy is bringing another quarterback into the fray and if Cutler or Young is available it may be much sooner than later. Like it or not, Buffalo is in rebuilding mode. They're not going to overtake New England or even Miami in the AFC East in one year.

Nothing personal against Losman, I actually like him. But the reality remains he was a Tom Donahoe guy. Levy probably likes him as well, but this isn't Donahoe's team anymore. It's Marv's team and by the time the draft is over; he's going to get his Jim Kelly. While a quarterback isn't necessarily a "need" pick, it's the most important player on the team.

The three-ring circus ends on April 29 when either Cutler or Young become the ringmaster.

631664[/snapback]

If that happens, you'd best be prepared for another decade of losing.

I agree with the assertion that the Bills braintrust is not totally convinced that JP is the long term answer (or short term for that matter). Obviously, there wouldn't be a competition if they were sold on him. In light of the Brees signing and the Jets apparently interested in a QB other than those in the upcoming draft, at least one the "top 3" QBs will fall to #8. I wouldn't touch Young, I'm intrigued by Cutler but would shy away and would be REAL tempted should Leinhart be there. Which he won't be. Also, I wouldn't move up for him either. Draft day will be very telling, perhaps, on the future of JP.

By Pat Moran

631664[/snapback]

thanks , any word on the lotto numbers

631667[/snapback]

thanks , any word on the lotto numbers

631686[/snapback]

hey Newbies... way to quote a 1000 word post to add one sentence. :lol:

I'm sorry ........

But IMHO ....... if Marv was as down on JP as Mr. Moran claims, why wasn't the Bills name even mentioned as being interested in the Brees/Culpepper free agency. Say all you want about the potential of the soon to be rookie QBs, both Brees and Culpepper have demonstrated they can produce on an NFL field ..... drafting a QB and annoiting him the "franchise" is a crap shoot as we all know.

For every phenom, there are multiple Ryan Leafs and Jeff Georges ..... if the brain trust at One Bills Drive was truely looking to replace JP ...... we would have at least been compeating to sign the only bonified starter quality QBs out there.

I am not a JP supporter ........ as a matter of fact, IMHO, at this point I think he sucks ..... but I AM hoping he gets better like all of us Bills fans.

I agree with the assertion that the Bills braintrust is not totally convinced that JP is the long term answer (or short term for that matter). Obviously, there wouldn't be a competition if they were sold on him. In light of the Brees signing and the Jets apparently interested in a QB other than those in the upcoming draft, at least one the "top 3" QBs will fall to #8. I wouldn't touch Young, I'm intrigued by Cutler but would shy away and would be REAL tempted should Leinhart be there. Which he won't be. Also, I wouldn't move up for him either. Draft day will be very telling, perhaps, on the future of JP.

631682[/snapback]

If Holcomb, Losman, Drew Bledsoe, Shane Matthews, and Alex Van Pelt were good enough to be on the Bills, Vince Young is good enough to be on the Bills. I would love to have an athletic specimen under center. Guy can win games, I don't care whether its orthodox or unorthodox, guy can win under pressure. USC was heavy favorite, Texas behind in the 4th quarter, who wins? Vince Young wins. I'll take young over Huff, Ngata, justice etc...

631664[/snapback]

When did this start happening?

By Pat Moran

631664[/snapback]

I agree with most of the article. If any of the big 3 are there I would not complain if we took them.

We will not win 6-8 games with any QB this year, including Tom Brady. There are just two many holes on this team to fill in one off-season. Drafting a QB at #1 robs us of an opportunity to fill a hole somewhere else.

So we play the season with a rookie and win maybe 4-6 games. This will not be good for Jauron but I think he will handle it better than Mularkey did. The QB circus has to end if we are going to ever be a contender.

For the Bills to draft another QB 2 years after giving up a 1st rd pick to move up and take JP when he has only played in 8 games is stupid! If Leinart, Young, or Cutler falls in our lap they should be used as trade bait to get more picks to shore up our OL and DL or possibly draft Davis earlier in the 1st to give JP some weapons and a OL/ DL later. I mean if JP fails then yes some would look back and say I told we should have picked one of the Qbs. But what if one of those top 3 QBs struggle, as most young QBs do? This would be JP all over again with those who would start harping on rebuilding the line and adding weapons and setting us back 2-3 more years. I mean if the Ravens or Lions could stick with Harrington and Boller for as long as they have why can't some give JP more than 8 games to show more than flashes and give him a chance to be consistent? At least give him a chance for none of these other QBs are going to come in and light up the league in thir first season.

I agree with most of the article.  If any of the big 3 are there I would not complain if we took them. 

We will not win 6-8 games with any QB this year, including Tom Brady.  There are just two many holes on this team to fill in one off-season.  Drafting a QB at #1 robs us of an opportunity to fill a  hole somewhere else.

So we play the season with a rookie and win maybe 4-6 games.  This will not be good for Jauron but I think he will handle it better than Mularkey did.  The QB circus has to end if we are going to ever be a contender.

631716[/snapback]

Yup and the Circus has been full boar since JK retired. But if ya do draft a qb with number 1 ya better be looking to trade JP for a day 1 pick.

If Holcomb, Losman, Drew Bledsoe, Shane Matthews, and Alex Van Pelt were good enough to be on the Bills, Vince Young is good enough to be on the Bills.  I would love to have an athletic specimen under center.  Guy can win games, I don't care whether its orthodox or unorthodox, guy can win under pressure.  USC was heavy favorite, Texas behind in the 4th quarter, who wins? Vince Young wins.  I'll take young over Huff, Ngata, justice etc...

631711[/snapback]

The quicker, faster NFL player will negate, to some degree, VYs athleticism. It's a different playing field. I see him and think Vick. I'm not a Vick fan. Schaub should be ATLs starter, but I digress.....

Unless the Bills are 100% convinced that JP Losman is not their guy, they would be foolish to take a QB with the #8 pick. History, and the percentages, say that Leinart, Cutler or Young, no matter how great they will be, would struggle their rookie season. The franchise has already spent a lot to get Losman. Losman, as the article pointed out, was not really given a fair shake to prove himself, because of the circumstances that the GM and HC put him in.

The Bills should let Losman play, and show, once and for all, that he has no future with the team. The team will not likely do any worse with Losman than they would with Leinart, Young or Cutler. That being the case, the Bills will be primed to pick a top QB prospect in next years draft. As dire as the QB situation may look, it really is not the Bills greatest weakness.

The only way the Bills should draft a QB this year, is if they can trade Losman. I don't see that happening. Martz loved Losman. Maybe the Bills could trade Losman for Harrinton (who wants out in Detroit), but why would we want that? I can't see any other trade scenario....

631667[/snapback]

It's not a question of if this happens. It's a question of has this already happened

For the Bills to draft another QB 2 years after giving up a 1st rd pick to move up and take JP when he has only played in 8 games is stupid! If Leinart, Young, or Cutler falls in our lap they should be used as trade bait to get more picks to shore up our OL and DL or possibly draft Davis earlier in the 1st to give JP some weapons and a OL/ DL later. I mean if JP fails then yes some would look back and say I told we should have picked one of the Qbs. But what if one of those top 3 QBs struggle, as most young QBs do? This would be JP all over again with those who would start harping on rebuilding the line and adding weapons and setting us back 2-3 more years. I mean if the Ravens or Lions could stick with Harrington and Boller for as long as they have why can't some give JP more than 8 games to show more than flashes and give him a chance to be consistent? At least give him a chance for none of these other QBs are going to come in and light up the league in thir first season.

631722[/snapback]

I'm not sure citing the Ravens and Lions supports your argument. Bottom line is it's a really bad mistake, but it's Donahoe's mistake, not Levy's. If Levy feels Losman is not the guy, and he knows better than we do, then he has to move on. It's really irrelevant at this point what round Losman was drafted in.