Interesting Bills Report Article

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's my observation that if we draft another QB, we are going to have the Flutie/Johnson situation all over again.  Two highly paid QB's and a split locker room on who should start.  I would be surprised if the Bills drafted a QB, but then again I was surprised when they drafted McGahee.

It's my observation that if we draft another QB, we are going to have the Flutie/Johnson situation all over again.  Two highly paid QB's and a split locker room on who should start.  I would be surprised if the Bills drafted a QB, but then again I was surprised when they drafted McGahee.

631783[/snapback]

Say what you will about Marv. But Marv will absolutely NOT have a problem with 2 rookie boys fighting over the rock. Marv will handle that. The locker room is where Marv is a Hall of Famer. Maybe the greatest locker room guy since Lombardi.

That is about the only certainty in next year.

LOL

one run. All season. Yeah, THAT is indicative.

633161[/snapback]

Leinart behind the Bills line would be a disaster. He's got talent, sure, but people need to realize he was playing behind a great line and with great players at USC. Most of the time he could sit in the pocket and twiddle his thumbs.

Matt Leinart blew out a knee and still wears a big brace on it. And, he wasn't a runner without that hunk of lead on his leg. He's tall and lanky and doesn't withstand a lot of abuse. One solid hit in the pocket has seen him wobble off the field with little birdies spinning around his head.

The Bills offensive line sucks hard. A QB like Leinart would have ZERO chance to succeed behind that crap. Some are ready to throw Losman on the garbage heap after a few games, but at least JP is athletic and can move and bounce around.

In short, getting rid of a JP for a Leinart would be like getting rid of Flutie for RJ (another great USC QB). You get rid of the crazy scrambling and erratic play for a brittle classic pocket QB. And on a team that has no clue how to protect a pocket, the brittle pocket guy will get killed and the scrambler will play and the QB controversy will continue in high gear.

LOL

one run. All season. Yeah, THAT is indicative.

633161[/snapback]

I'd respond, but there is so little chance of a player of Leinart's caliber falling to the Bills that its probably just not worth it.....

In gambling, that's called chasing your losses.  Its generally not been a very successful strategy in any mode of life.

Look, we're all pissed that the old regime blew a lot of draft picks - particularly if Losman doesn't pan out.    But the first thing to remember, no matter what you are doing in life, is that you can't change the past.

632133[/snapback]

This is one of the best posts I've seen. I'd like to build on the logic you're using. In evaluating Losman, the Bills shouldn't look at where he was drafted (the sunk cost) but at where he ought to have been drafted. Granted, TD thought Losman deserved to be drafted in the first round, but then again TD's most successful QB pick was the Kordell Stewart bust. Maybe Levy has other ideas about where Losman should have been drafted, just based on his college performance. Say Levy thought of Losman as a 3rd round pick.

Now you look at Losman's time as a pro to see if that third round pick estimate was too high or too low. After two injury-plagued seasons, and overall poor play when he was on the field, it's doubtful Levy would see Losman's time as a pro as a reason to significantly upgrade his estimate. He might not significantly downgrade it either, as many QBs who went on to have good careers struggled initially. So you're left with a 3rd round pick--or whatever round Levy decided Losman should have been drafted in in the first place. Levy needs to decide if he's really willing to actually walk away from a potential franchise QB just because there's an outside chance Losman might turn into something.

Leinart behind the Bills line would be a disaster.  He's got talent, sure, but people need to realize he was playing behind a great line and with great players at USC.  Most of the time he could sit in the pocket and twiddle his thumbs.

Matt Leinart blew out a knee and still wears a big brace on it.  And, he wasn't a runner without that hunk of lead on his leg.  He's tall and lanky and doesn't withstand a lot of abuse.  One solid hit in the pocket has seen him wobble off the field with little birdies spinning around his head.

The Bills offensive line sucks hard.  A QB like Leinart would have ZERO chance to succeed behind that crap.  Some are ready to throw Losman on the garbage heap after a few games, but at least JP is athletic and can move and bounce around.

In short, getting rid of a JP for a Leinart would be like getting rid of Flutie for RJ (another great USC QB).  You get rid of the crazy scrambling and erratic play for a brittle classic pocket QB.  And on a team that has no clue how to protect a pocket, the brittle pocket guy will get killed and the scrambler will play and the QB controversy will continue in high gear.

633265[/snapback]

tell that to tom brady, who played a line of minimally talented nonentities last year and was sacked hardly at all. the reason? he reads the field very quickly and gets rid of the ball asafp. the issue when thinking about leinart is not his 40 time -- which is absolutely irrelevant -- but how quickly he can read the game and how well he does at progressing quickly and correctly to his dumpoffs.

tell that to tom brady, who played a line of minimally talented nonentities last year and was sacked hardly at all. the reason? he reads the field very quickly and gets rid of the ball asafp. the issue when thinking about leinart is not his 40 time -- which is absolutely irrelevant -- but how quickly he can read the game and how well he does at progressing quickly and correctly to his dumpoffs.

633413[/snapback]

1. I'm not convinced Leinart is as savvy as Brady. :lol:

2. Brady had truly outstanding coaching early on in his career. Leinart is going to a bad team which may have bad coaching, who knows? (Turk Schonert?)

3. Brady sat a year behind Bledsoe and developed his body and brain to play the pro game. Leinart is going to be thrown to the wolves early.

4. Brady is one tough SOB. Leinart, I seriously question.

5. Brady can move in the pocket and deliver on target while moving. Leinart didn't have to do that much at USC.

Bottom line: Leinart, like any rookie QB, will be a risk until he proves something otherwise. He's proven nothing now.