Interesting Bills Report Article

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good call. I'm just sitting back this offseason and waiting for the Robert Royal show to start!

I'm excited! How about you?!?

LET'S GO BUFFALO!

632074[/snapback]

Marv and Ralph like their Hot Pockets through a straw. Im sure they blend it with the state of the art 1954 GE Blender at OBD.

Marv and Ralph like their Hot Pockets through a straw. Im sure they blend it with the state of the art 1954 GE Blender at OBD.

632081[/snapback]

It's nap time...shhh....the golden boys need to preserve their strength for Free-Agent Bingo.

"B-5! B-5! Marv, who's B-5?"

"That'd be Ross Verba, Ralph, let me get HIM on the phone!"

"Well hurry up, my dentures are gettign loose!"

So you would pick another QB at the #8 spot?  What if they both end up being stiffs?  That would truly be a disaster. Worse yet, what if they draft a "franchise QB" (your words) and get rid of Losman.  Losman goes and shines somewhere else, and we are stuck with another in a long line of disappointing #1 QB draft picks.  That is not a very smart, or quick way, of rebuilding a team. 

Things change a lot.  In two years there may be better options available to the Bills, in free agency.  Or, they can draft someone with their first pick.  Why waste a firsrt round pick on a position that you are not sure about?  There is always two or three guys every year, who everyone says are "can't miss" picks.  They will be there in 2007 too!

632064[/snapback]

A few things:

1. If they decided Losman wasn't the guy (an assumption all of this is premised upon), yes I would. This is a team in the midst of a major transition. We have a new GM, a new coach, holes at QB, 2-3 OL spots, WR (possibly), DT and at S (possibly two spots). This isn't a situation IMO where we retool; this is a rebuilding situation where we are at least two years out from making the playoffs. If Losman isn't the guy, this is the perfect time to draft a QB. Otherwise, you will have wasted two years into the future and be in the same position.

2. Losman can't go anywhere else for at least the next year or two; we control his rights. I have no problem with the having great depth at the QB spot.

A few things:

1.  If they decided Losman wasn't the guy (an assumption all of this is premised upon), yes I would.  This is a team in the midst of a major transition.  We have a new GM, a new coach, holes at QB, 2-3 OL spots, WR (possibly), DT and at S (possibly two spots).  This isn't a situation IMO where we retool; this is a rebuilding situation where we are at least two years out from making the playoffs.  If Losman isn't the guy, this is the perfect time to draft a QB.  Otherwise, you will have wasted two years into the future and be in the same position.

2.  Losman can't go anywhere else for at least the next year or two; we control his rights.  I have no problem with the having great depth at the QB spot.

Also, we will have Losman's rights for the next year or two and will be able

632110[/snapback]

You are just repeating my original idea...I said they should not pick a QB with the #8 spot, unless they are absolutely sure Losman is not the guy for the job...

If they're the Bills they do.

How many first round picks in the past 10 years have we used on QBs when we could have had OL?

632069[/snapback]

In gambling, that's called chasing your losses. Its generally not been a very successful strategy in any mode of life.

Look, we're all pissed that the old regime blew a lot of draft picks - particularly if Losman doesn't pan out. But the first thing to remember, no matter what you are doing in life, is that you can't change the past.

This is Year 1 of a new regime. New GM, new Coach. The first aspect of building any team is to address the QB position. After the choice of coach, there is no better way to build a team that will go to the playoffs year after year than by having a great QB - just look at NFL history. Guards can be filled in later.

But here's the thing - regimes in the NFL are judged in as little as two or three years these days. Let's say that Levy and Jauron have evaluated Losman on tape - both of his NFL games, his NFL practices, and his college career, as well as interviewed him, and concluded that he just doesn't have it (the Andre' Davis signing is a bit of a clue that this has happened.) Levy and Jauron don't have the luxury of just closing their eyes and clicking their ruby slippers and hoping that a QB they don't think is any good surprises them all and pans out. They need to start planning today for their career evaluation in 2-3 years from now. That may very well mean drafting a QB at #8 if a Top 5 overall player manages to fall all the way to #8 due to this being an exceptionally strong draft and there having been a number of prominant QBs that changed teams this year.

JDG

I say we treat the whole team like we are treating Losman.

If after 8 games they don't make the pro-bowl... call for their head.

Oh wait!

That's means the only ones left on the team are a punter and long snapper.

:devil:  Never mind.

632125[/snapback]

I love how "completing less than 50% of his passes" has gotten translated into "not making the Pro Bowl."

JDG

If I am Levy and Jauron and am less than 50% sure that JP will succeed, I jump on leinart or cutler if they fall to 8. This Bills team has little or no shot at the playoffs next year. Losman can be attributed to the previous regime and Levy & Jauron suffer nothing if he fails. With cutler or leinart they now have their man at the helm and can go forward. I believe losman is done with the Bills. Seeing the lack of commitment and the lack of support for losman in their statements leads me to believe they are not confident that losman has what it takes. This year is the perfect year to get a new QB in the draft. A rookie QB will have little or no impact on the team missing the playoffs since the team is in such poor shape and probably can't make it with Brady or Manning. If they wait another year to bring in the QB of the future then they take a chance that the rest of the team is ready to make the playoffs and the QB isn't. That would put team development another year behind.

If Lienart or Cutler are there, get er done Marv.

You are just repeating my original idea...I said they should not pick a QB with the #8 spot, unless they are absolutely sure Losman is not the guy for the job...

632121[/snapback]

Actually, I'm saying they should draft a QB unless they are absolutely certain Losman is the QB of the future.

So you would pick another QB at the #8 spot?  What if they both end up being stiffs?  That would truly be a disaster. Worse yet, what if they draft a "franchise QB" (your words) and get rid of Losman.  Losman goes and shines somewhere else, and we are stuck with another in a long line of disappointing #1 QB draft picks.  That is not a very smart, or quick way, of rebuilding a team. 

Things change a lot.  In two years there may be better options available to the Bills, in free agency.  Or, they can draft someone with their first pick.  Why waste a firsrt round pick on a position that you are not sure about?  There is always two or three guys every year, who everyone says are "can't miss" picks.  They will be there in 2007 too!

632064[/snapback]

My points exactly. There will always be better options at every position that look better and greenere, especially at draft time. The thing is no team can have a squad full of Pro Bowlers at every position. But QB is a position that really must be developed so patience is a virtue for it is definitely not a plug and play type position where you can make good long term analysis based on 8 games. I know some will say what if drafting a new QB turns out to be gold. But what if it doesn't? I think that situation would be far worse for you would have 2 first round QBs wasting money and time and setting us back.If we stick with JP 2 more years and he doesn't work out then we can sit him and sign a free aganet Qb if all the other areas of the team are strong. If we draft a Qb and he fails then we will waste 3-4 years on this guy with JP sitting on the pine. STUPID!

In gambling, that's called chasing your losses.  Its generally not been a very successful strategy in any mode of life.

Look, we're all pissed that the old regime blew a lot of draft picks - particularly if Losman doesn't pan out.    But the first thing to remember, no matter what you are doing in life, is that you can't change the past.

This is Year 1 of a new regime.  New GM, new Coach.  The first aspect of building any team is to address the QB position.  After the choice of coach, there is no better way to build a team that will go to the playoffs year after year than by having a great QB - just look at NFL history.  Guards can be filled in later.

But here's the thing - regimes in the NFL are judged in as little as two or three years these days.  Let's say that Levy and Jauron have evaluated Losman on tape - both of his NFL games, his NFL practices, and his college career, as well as interviewed him, and concluded that he just doesn't have it (the Andre' Davis signing is a bit of a clue that this has happened.)  Levy and Jauron don't have the luxury of just closing their eyes and clicking their ruby slippers and hoping that a QB they don't think is any good surprises them all and pans out.    They need to start planning today for their career evaluation in 2-3 years from now.  That may very well mean drafting a QB at #8 if a Top 5 overall player manages to fall all the way to #8 due to this being an exceptionally strong draft and there having been a number of prominant QBs that changed teams this year.

JDG

632133[/snapback]

Good post, JDG.

In gambling, that's called chasing your losses.  Its generally not been a very successful strategy in any mode of life.

Look, we're all pissed that the old regime blew a lot of draft picks - particularly if Losman doesn't pan out.    But the first thing to remember, no matter what you are doing in life, is that you can't change the past.

This is Year 1 of a new regime.  New GM, new Coach.  The first aspect of building any team is to address the QB position.  After the choice of coach, there is no better way to build a team that will go to the playoffs year after year than by having a great QB - just look at NFL history.  Guards can be filled in later.

But here's the thing - regimes in the NFL are judged in as little as two or three years these days.  Let's say that Levy and Jauron have evaluated Losman on tape - both of his NFL games, his NFL practices, and his college career, as well as interviewed him, and concluded that he just doesn't have it (the Andre' Davis signing is a bit of a clue that this has happened.)  Levy and Jauron don't have the luxury of just closing their eyes and clicking their ruby slippers and hoping that a QB they don't think is any good surprises them all and pans out.    They need to start planning today for their career evaluation in 2-3 years from now.  That may very well mean drafting a QB at #8 if a Top 5 overall player manages to fall all the way to #8 due to this being an exceptionally strong draft and there having been a number of prominant QBs that changed teams this year.

JDG

632133[/snapback]

Ooooohkay. So let's say Leinart drops to 8. He has exactly ZERO mobility and I believe two bad wheels. So you'd advocate drafting a guy that can't move to save his life, throwing him in as a rookie behind an O-line that couldn't block a defense from Shady Acres home for the infirmed?

Genius, I say, pure GENIUS!

I say we treat the whole team like we are treating Losman.

If after 8 games they don't make the pro-bowl... call for their head.

Oh wait!

That's means the only ones left on the team are a punter and long snapper.

:doh:  Never mind.

632125[/snapback]

that would fit perfectly into my plan for ensuring we always have the first pick in the draft--insert evil laugh here

The quicker, faster NFL player will negate, to some degree, VYs athleticism. It's a different playing field. I see him and think Vick. I'm not a Vick fan. Schaub should be ATLs starter, but I digress.....

631730[/snapback]

In short, just say "no" to Vince Young.

Leinart will be a better NFL QB, quicker and long term, IMHO. Cutler? Gamble? Maybe, but IMHO he too has a better shot at being an NFL QB than Young as well.

If I am Levy and Jauron and am less than 50% sure that JP will succeed, I jump on leinart or cutler if they fall to 8.  This Bills team has little or no shot at the playoffs next year.  Losman can be attributed to the previous regime and Levy & Jauron suffer nothing if he fails.  With cutler or leinart they now have their man at the helm and can go forward.  I believe losman is done with the Bills.  Seeing the lack of commitment and the lack of support for losman in their statements leads me to believe they are not confident that losman has what it takes.  This year is the perfect year to get a new QB in the draft.  A rookie QB will have little or no impact on the team missing the playoffs since the team is in such poor shape and probably can't make it with Brady or Manning.  If they wait another year to bring in the QB of the future then they take a chance that the rest of the team is ready to make the playoffs and the QB isn't.  That would put team development another year behind. 

If Lienart or Cutler are there, get er done Marv.

632154[/snapback]

If I'm Levy and Jauron and am less than 50% sure that JP will succeed I would NOT draft another rookie QB no matter HOW highly hyped he is out of college ..... mainly because you can't be much more than 50% sure he will pan out in the NFL ......... I make a four engine run on either Brees or Culpepper.

Ooooohkay. So let's say Leinart drops to 8. He has exactly ZERO mobility

Zero Mobility? Did I just imagine him almost running for the winning TD along the sidelines against Notre Dame?

JDG

A Possible Scenario.

1.) Houston - Reggie Bush

2.) New Orleans - Matt Leinart

3.) Tennessee - D'Brickashaw Ferguson (over Vince Young or Cutler)

4.) New York - Mario Williams (replacing Abraham)

5.) Green Bay - A.J. Hawk

6.) San Francisco - Vernon Davis

7.) Oakland - Jay Cutler (vertical passing game)

8.) Buffalo -

Here we have Ngata / Lendale White / Justice / Young / Huff / or (hopefully) a trade-down.

St. Louis at #11 wanted Huff or Vernon Davis. They watch Davis go to SF, and call us to trade up so they can take Huff before Detroit nabs him at #9. The trade chart shows they need to offer a 3rd (Pick #75) and a 5th (Pick #139) to move up.

Here's what could then transpire:

8. St. Louis -- Huff

9. Detroit -- Ngata

10. Arizona -- Lendale White

11. Buffalo--

Here, Justice or Young are still available, or a trade-down. Three teams want Santonio Holmes: Philly at 14, Dallas at 18, and San Diego at 19. San Diego. We trade with Dallas, and our 11 to 18 drop nets us their #2 (Pick #47).

11. Dallas--Santonio Holmes

12. Cleveland-- Chad Greenway

13. Baltimore--D'Angelo Williams

14. Philadelphia--Young

15. Atlanta--Jimmy Williams

16. Miami--Winston Justice

17. Minnesota--Laurence Maroney

18. Buffalo--Marcus McNeil OT

In Round 2, the Bills pick 40th and 41st. They find Charles Spencer OG and Antonio Cromartie CB.

Astro, lovely theory. If that happened, I would jump at Bunkley at 18. Why is Philly drafting a quarterback?

632064[/snapback]

Is having another QB flop worse than having another OT flop? I don't see how. Nobody is a can't-miss, and that includes linemen.