Would you "share" the Bills with Toronto...

The post about playing a neutral site game in Toronto got me thinking. I want to paint a scenario for you. Tell me what you think.

We all worry about losing the Bills to L.A. and being a small market team revenue-wise. If you could share the Bills with Toronto as a way of ensuring they will always be the BUFFALO Bills, would you do it?

WHAT IF: The Bills train in Canada and play 2 regular season games in Toronto. Further, the Bills bid for the Super Bowl to be played in Toronto.

WHAT BUFFALO GETS OUT OF IT: Ensure the Bills never move completely. Gain access to sponsor money that could put the Bills at a par with Dallas, New England and Washington. A chance to be competitive, pay more for coaches, have more scouting, and be a more attractive destination for free agents.

If you're a Bills fan worried about the Bills moving, or at least staying competitve in a free-spending NFL, you have to be realistic and know that things can't last forever. They used to let you into War Memorial with kegs, for heaven sake! So there are many things about cheering for the Bills that have changed over time.

If sharing the Bills meant keeping them the Bills forever, I would be in favor of that. Buffalonians have many great qualities, but a glaring fault is self-pity, having a loser's mentality, and always feeling victimized.

For a change, why not go on the offensive? Why not find a way to make the game work in our favor for once? Jones and Kraft don't want to subsidize teams like Buffalo? Fine, we'll get creative and start generating more revenue than you. Then you can cry about us.

PTR

The post about playing a neutral site game in Toronto got me thinking.  I want to paint a scenario for you.  Tell me what you think.

We all worry about losing the Bills to L.A. and being a small market team revenue-wise.  If you could share the Bills with Toronto as a way of ensuring the will always be the BUFFALO Bills, would you do it?

WHAT IF:  The Bills train in Canada and play 2 regular season games in Toronto.  Further, the Bills bid for the Super Bowl to be played in Toronto.

WHAT BUFFALO GETS OUT OF IT:  Ensure the Bills never move completely.  Gain access to sponsor money that could put the Bills at a par with Dallas, New England and Washington.  A chance to be competitive, pay more for coaches, have more scouting, and be a more attractive destination for free agents.

If you're a Bills fan worried about the Bills moving, or at least staying competitve in a free-spending NFL, you have to be realistic and know that things can't last forever.  They used to let you into War Memorial with kegs, for heaven sake!  So there are many things about cheering for the Bills that have changed over time.

If sharing the Bills meant keeping them the Bills forever, I would be in favor of that.  Buffalonians have many great qualities, but a glaring fault is self-pity, having a loser's mentality, and always feeling victimized. 

For a change, why not go on the offensive?  Why not find a way to make the game work in our favor for once?  Jones and Kraft don't want to subsidize teams like Buffalo?  Fine, we'll get creative and start generating more revenue than you.  Then you can cry about us.

PTR

594328[/snapback]

Didn't Green Bay used to play a couple of games somewhere else in the past? Just curious if there is a precedent for this.

The one thing that I think would suck about this is the game atmosphere in Toronto. I am a Canadian and I really love coming down to Buffalo. I don't think that Toronto would have the same feel. Although the beer would be stronger...

I think I posted this before, but back in like '92 I went to see a psychic that a few of my friends swore by. One of the things she said was that the Bills would one day combine in some way with Toronto and be called the Toronto-Buffalo Bills. She said the vision she had was like a newspaper where they use abbreviations for teams in the standings, and she saw "Tor/Buf" listed for the Bills. Take it for what you will......I'm just the messenger

I think I posted this before, but back in like '92 I went to see a psychic that a few of my friends swore by. One of the things she said was that the Bills would one day combine in some way with Toronto and be called the Toronto-Buffalo Bills. She said the vision she had was like a newspaper where they use abbreviations for teams in the standings, and she saw "Tor/Buf" listed for the Bills. Take it for what you will......I'm just the messenger

594338[/snapback]

Were they the Argobills? :blink:

That's about the nicest thing somebody has said about Toronto on this board in a while! :doh:

594336[/snapback]

I must be one of them there compassionate conservatives.

Of course if I could figure out a way to share it w/o actually having to touch anybody, well then I might reconsider. :blink:

Didn't Green Bay used to play a couple of games somewhere else in the past? Just curious if there is a precedent for this.

The one thing that I think would suck about this is the game atmosphere in Toronto. I am a Canadian and I really love coming down to Buffalo. I don't think that Toronto would have the same feel. Although the beer would be stronger...

594334[/snapback]

Green Bay played 4 games in Milwaukee. They stopped doing that a few years ago. Not sure why. But I guess they felt that they going to get Milwaukee $$ wherever they played.

The truth is that's where the sponsor bucks are. And a virgin market for the NFL. And being Toronto, that will influence a big chunk of Canada. We B word about not paying coaches enough? Well, this is how you pay them.

I'm surprised by some of the negative reactions. To me, they're like a rich cousin. If you don't like Toronto, look at it as taking advantage of them to get what we want. :blink:

PTR

Green Bay played 4 games in Milwaukee.  They stopped doing that a few years ago.  Not sure why.  But I guess they felt that they going to get Milwaukee $$ wherever they played.

The truth is that's where the sponsor bucks are.  And a virgin market for the NFL.  And being Toronto, that will influence a big chunk of Canada.  We B word about not paying coaches enough?  Well, this is how you pay them.

I'm surprised by some of the negative reactions.  To me, they're like a rich cousin.  If you don't like Toronto, look at it as taking advantage of them to get what we want.  :blink:

PTR

594341[/snapback]

I'd rather share the team with LA.

Green Bay played 4 games in Milwaukee.  They stopped doing that a few years ago.  Not sure why.  But I guess they felt that they going to get Milwaukee $$ wherever they played.

The truth is that's where the sponsor bucks are.  And a virgin market for the NFL.  And being Toronto, that will influence a big chunk of Canada.  We B word about not paying coaches enough?  Well, this is how you pay them.

I'm surprised by some of the negative reactions.  To me, they're like a rich cousin.  If you don't like Toronto, look at it as taking advantage of them to get what we want.  :blink:

PTR

594341[/snapback]

Promo, I think this is a viable idea. The Patriots, while they play on a single field, have proven that they can draw fans from a large area. Worried about the "fan atmosphere" in Toronto? Fill some buses up with Buffalo fans and set aside a parking area for tailgating. The Canadians will catch on fast enough.

I'm amazed at how many people aren't willing to find a solution to keep this team in Buffalo. If anyone thinks it's a slam dunk (sorry to mix my metaphors) that they are going to remain, they're delusional.

PTR

594341[/snapback]

I attended a Bills/Pack game in Brewtown many years ago. The biggest problem, IMO, was the stadium in Milwaukee. It SUCKED! It was, without question, the worst football venue I've ever experienced. Not too appealing when your home field is Lambeau. I'm not saying that was the only reason the Pack stopped playing there, but it had to be a considersation.

As for the crazy, team-sharing idea. (Let's just establish that this is not going to happen...k?)

I'd rather share the Bils with TO than totally lose them. But, I consider that the lesser of two terrible evils.

I'd rather share the Bils with TO than totally lose them.  But, I consider that the lesser of two terrible evils.

594383[/snapback]

I'm with ya there.....as much as I absolutely love Toronto (some of the best food in the world....very clean, friendly city), I just assume we keep our Bills to ourselves.

At first glance it seems like an interesting hypothetical. On second glance it's a no-brainer and non-issue where I would imagine that 99% of the fans (outside of Canadians) think the same way. The answer is no, and of course.

No, I don't want to share the team with Toronto. Yes, if the Bills were going to move to another city OR play a couple games in Toronto, of course I would want them to stay here.

If the choice was lose the team or share them with Toronto, of course I'd share.

However, I think it's completely unecessary. I rarely worry about the team moving. I really doubt it's going to happen. They fan base is too strong and the money is too significant. Irregardless of who owns the team, he'll be hard pressed to recreate the football market that is WNY and Southern Ontario. It takes generations to create the kind of loyalty the Bills presently enjoy. You can't create a customer base like that overnight.

Cities that gave out sweetheart deals like Baltimore and Oakland have been burned by them. I think non-NFL cities are now doing a cost-benefit analysis of a pro sports team and realizing that they might not be worth it. Larger cities don't guarantee a larger fan base. LA is much larger but if people don't give a damn about the NFL, then they are not going to support the team.

I'm with ya there.....as much as I absolutely love Toronto (some of the best food in the world....very clean, friendly city), I just assume we keep our Bills to ourselves.

594387[/snapback]

For the record, i always thought Toronto had the worst food of any major city i've ever had the opportunity to spend real time.

Chinese was always good there. italian, perhaps the worst ever.

A few years ago I was there and it seemed as though the restuarant scene was experiencing an upgrade. Ate in a few of the nicer new places not too far from the Custerdome (steely dan reference) and I wasn't all that impressed.

It is a very nice clean city, though. With very nice, clean, dull people.

The post about playing a neutral site game in Toronto got me thinking.  I want to paint a scenario for you.  Tell me what you think.

We all worry about losing the Bills to L.A. and being a small market team revenue-wise.  If you could share the Bills with Toronto as a way of ensuring they will always be the BUFFALO Bills, would you do it?

WHAT IF:  The Bills train in Canada and play 2 regular season games in Toronto.  Further, the Bills bid for the Super Bowl to be played in Toronto.

WHAT BUFFALO GETS OUT OF IT:  Ensure the Bills never move completely.  Gain access to sponsor money that could put the Bills at a par with Dallas, New England and Washington.  A chance to be competitive, pay more for coaches, have more scouting, and be a more attractive destination for free agents.

If you're a Bills fan worried about the Bills moving, or at least staying competitve in a free-spending NFL, you have to be realistic and know that things can't last forever.  They used to let you into War Memorial with kegs, for heaven sake!  So there are many things about cheering for the Bills that have changed over time.

If sharing the Bills meant keeping them the Bills forever, I would be in favor of that.  Buffalonians have many great qualities, but a glaring fault is self-pity, having a loser's mentality, and always feeling victimized. 

For a change, why not go on the offensive?  Why not find a way to make the game work in our favor for once?  Jones and Kraft don't want to subsidize teams like Buffalo?  Fine, we'll get creative and start generating more revenue than you.  Then you can cry about us.

PTR

594328[/snapback]

It would be like sharing your wife with a palid jacket wearing used car salesman so you could get a slightly better model for the price. Give me a break--in salary cap times?????--so we can overpay for some coaches like little danny does?

If the choice was lose the team or share them with Toronto, of course I'd share.

However, I think it's completely unecessary. I rarely worry about the team moving. I really doubt it's going to happen. They fan base is too strong and the money is too significant. Irregardless of who owns the team, he'll be hard pressed to recreate the football market that is WNY and Southern Ontario. It takes generations to create the kind of loyalty the Bills presently enjoy. You can't create a customer base like that overnight.

Cities that gave out sweetheart deals like Baltimore and Oakland have been burned by them. I think non-NFL cities are now doing a cost-benefit analysis of a pro sports team and realizing that they might not be worth it. Larger cities don't guarantee a larger fan base. LA is much larger but if people don't give a damn about the NFL, then they are not going to support the team.

594401[/snapback]

Irregardless? You uncultured,uneducated brute.

For the record, i always thought Toronto had the worst food of any major city i've ever had the opportunity to spend real time.

Chinese was always good there.  italian, perhaps the worst ever.

A few years ago I was there and it seemed as though the restuarant scene was experiencing an upgrade.  Ate in a few of the nicer new places not too far from the Custerdome (steely dan reference) and I wasn't all that impressed.

It is a very nice clean city, though.  With very nice, clean, dull people.

594402[/snapback]

I always thought Toronto and San Fran had the same type of people. la la la lolla

I'd have no problem giving Toronto one of our preseaon games. In fact, I'd encourage it. Training camp in Rochester, 1 preseason game in Toronto, maybe the other at the Carrier Dome...this would be a great way to further regionalize the team and gain more fans/team revenue.

But a regular season game? No !@#$ing way. There are only 8 of 'em. Each one is precious.

I'd share Bills with Toronto. Let Bills play two preseason games (and train in Canada when the camp contract runs out) and then have regular season in Buffalo. Those who live in Rochester would be mad but it would be worth it to season ticket holders who would not need to pay for "pretend" games.

Am I the only one who is tired of reading sh-- about the BILLS moving or sharing them with Toronto?

Buffalo is a very profitable team and the NFL has no desire to abandon this market.

Move the team to Toronto? The Blue Jays can barely compete or sell out... Let the Canadians keep their CFL and the Leafs.

The BILLS will never leave Buffalo. Trust me, I know.

If the NFL is committed to New Orleans, Jacksonville, and Tampa - Buffalo should feel NO threat of a move or what have you.

I wish the moderators could delete these posts upon entry.

Am I the only one who is tired of reading sh-- about the BILLS moving or sharing them with Toronto?

Buffalo is a very profitable team and the NFL has no desire to abandon this market.

Move the team to Toronto?  The Blue Jays can barely compete or sell out... Let the Canadians keep their CFL and the Leafs. 

The BILLS will never leave Buffalo.  Trust me, I know.

If the NFL is committed to New Orleans, Jacksonville, and Tampa - Buffalo should feel NO threat of a move or what have you.

I wish the moderators could delete these post upon entry.

594474[/snapback]

It's not a matter of attendance...it's a matter of sponsor dollars.

Sure, we can have the Bills just as they are. And we'll keep on crying that we don't pay the going rate for good coaches, and why do other teams have bigger scouting staffs, and why can't we get good free agents, and so on...

I get the feeling that if the Bills ever did win it all, fans wouldn't know what to B word about. I think the responses to this post pretty much represents the core attitude of the entire region. :blush:

PTR

I attended a Bills/Pack game in Brewtown many years ago.  The biggest problem, IMO, was the stadium in Milwaukee.  It SUCKED!  It was, without question, the worst football venue I've ever experienced.  Not too appealing when your home field is Lambeau.  I'm not saying that was the only reason the Pack stopped playing there, but it had to be a considersation.

Another reason is that the players hate having 2-4 extra "travel games" per year.

With the amount of money Erie County has sunk into the Stadium, I think getting 8 games a year is the least we can expect.

Moreover, any "sharing" with Toronto would become unequal over time. The Toronto area has over twice the popuation of Buffalo-Rochester-Dunkirk. As such, I don't want any piece of such a "partnership." Either the politicans in NYS, Erie County, and the City of Buffalo will get their act in gear and stem the tide of decline, or else my beloved home city will eventually fade away and the Bills will be forced to move on.

JDG

Sure, we can have the Bills just as they are.  And we'll keep on crying that we don't pay the going rate for good coaches, and why do other teams have bigger scouting staffs, and why can't we get good free agents, and so on...

I get the feeling that if the Bills ever did win it all, fans wouldn't know what to B word about.  I think the responses to this post pretty much represents the core attitude of the entire region.  :blush: 

PTR

594478[/snapback]

The Bills would lose a lot in this deal. First off, the SkyDome seats around 53,000 for football, nowhere near the 70,000+ the Ralph seats.

In terms of sponsorship dollars, the Bills would lose money on their current sponsorship deals because they would have sell a 6 game deal instead of an eight game deal at the Ralph.

They might be able to sell their national sponsors on a game in Canada, but they would have to replace all the local sponsors, since local radio stations and supermarkets gain nothing from a game in Canada.

And even if they could replace their local sponsorship revenue with Canadian local sponsorship, they would have to split sponsorship revenue with the SkyDome for games in Toronto. Not to mention that the going rates for a are probably much higher for an American football game than a Canadian baseball game, making the ad time tougher to sell.

This would also create a nightmare around season ticket sales. Do season ticket holders also have to buy tickets to the SkyDome? If they do, there would only be something like 10,000 tickets left to sell. If they don't you have to sell a ticket that will probably cost upwards of $90 to $100 Candadian to the Toronto market, for a team that's carpetbagging a couple of times a year. Hardly a foundation for loyalty.

This deal looks like a complete loser for the Bills, especially since they've sold out over 90% of their games over the last few seasons.

The Bills aren't hiring "expensive" coaches because they can't afford them. Rather, the higher-priced coaches expect complete control of the organization, something Ralph doesn't want to give up.

Sure, we can have the Bills just as they are.  And we'll keep on crying that we don't pay the going rate for good coaches, and why do other teams have bigger scouting staffs, and why can't we get good free agents, and so on...

I get the feeling that if the Bills ever did win it all, fans wouldn't know what to B word about.  I think the responses to this post pretty much represents the core attitude of the entire region.  :blush: 

PTR

594478[/snapback]

I never said anything about selling out games.

You're trying to tell me that New Orleans, J-ville, and Tampa have THAT many more corporate dollars and sponsorship? Prove it.

I never said anything about selling out games.

You're trying to tell me that New Orleans, J-ville, and Tampa have THAT many more corporate dollars and sponsorship?  Prove it.

594532[/snapback]

Every team you mentioned is in the same boat as Buffalo if the Jerry Jones's and Bob Kraft's get their way in the NFL. I'm just trying to be creative in finding a solution, not just wailing woe-is-me.

PTR