Bates Declining Bills DC Job Offer!!

D' men

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jerry gray must be laughing his ass off right now! he is not even officially fired and all of the defensive coordinators got gobbled up because of the bills lack of urgency hiring their head coach.and not even giving haslett a chance to interview for at least the defensive coordinator job and miami picks up a dom capers to run their d and donnie henederson gets a new gig we would be crazy lucky to have ted cotrell back

You do realize that BillsDaily.com isnt a reliable news source in terms of finding out scoops, right?  They just post the news that other sites report.

585246[/snapback]

Well I didn't know that but in some cases that site updates events faster than twobillsdrive.com by more than 5-10 mins.

Houstons DC position is already set.

585229[/snapback]

I have been a little out of the loop lately.....who is the Texans DC? I live in Austin, just yesterday morning, they were talking about the very subject, and mentioned Jerry Gray and Jim Bates as the two most likely candidates...fill me in? Also, who is the Jets d-coordinator?

I know that it is blasphamous the last couple of days, on the wall, to suggest that our owner is cheap, but I hate to say I told you so...Bates was never going to come to Buffalo! I would not be shocked, when the numbers come out, if Bates makes almost as much this year from the Packers, sitting , than Dick Jauron makes this year....

Me too. My defense picks in Madden are always solid. I am very good at adapting the scheme to the personnel.

585282[/snapback]

Ohhh, is that how it's supposed to work? I just blitz on every play...

:lol:

jerry gray must be laughing his ass off right now! he is not even officially fired and all of the defensive coordinators got gobbled up because of the bills lack of urgency hiring their head coach.and not even giving haslett a chance to interview for at least the defensive coordinator job and miami picks up a dom capers to run their d and donnie henederson gets a new gig we would be crazy lucky to have ted cotrell back

585248[/snapback]

According to Fred Smerlas, who claims to speak with Haslett everyday, Haslett wanted the Bills HC job, so bad, he would have taken it, even at a low-ball price...he would have not taken the DC job in Buffalo, for a low-ball price. Smerlas said that RW pays his head coaches "next to nothing" and his assistants "nothing"! And then, of course, fat Fred lobbied to get the Bills color job for radio broadcasts, but only if the "price is right!"

I have to believe that Gray would likely be pretty pissed off at the Bills right now. I don't really like the job he has done, overall, but I think the Bills sort of ambiguous stance on him had to hurt his chances of getting more interviews, and maybe a job. I know he won't lose any money, but they could at least treat him with some dignity...what would be really embarassing is if the Bills are forced to bring him back next season, because they can't get anyone else....

All I can tell you is what I heard.......Houston , better city , alot more money, and an owner that knows what the going rate is for DC......Hell mcnair actually knows what day of the week it is ........The better question is why would he pick Buff., would you if you were him???

If my name was Bates it would be Houston here I come!!!

585174[/snapback]

You obviously have not lived in Houston. Maybe national perception has it that its better then Buffalo, but nothing could be further from the truth. The weather has all the advantages of a swamp, traffic is the equal of LA's mobile parking lot, and the city itself has all the charm of a strip mall. Actually, slightly less charm then a strip mall... And BTW, I'm being kind in case there are any Houstonians reading this.

I've lived all across this country, and still I have a hard time figuring out why actual Bills fans continue to dis the fine city of Buffalo. Yea, hang all the politicians and cut the dang taxes in half for sure, but the city itself is far more liveable then most.

You obviously have not lived in Houston.  Maybe national perception has it that its better then Buffalo, but nothing could be further from the truth.  The weather has all the advantages of a swamp,  traffic is the equal of LA's mobile parking lot, and the city itself has all the charm of a strip mall.  Actually, slightly less charm then a strip mall...  And BTW, I'm being kind in case there are any Houstonians reading this.

I've lived all across this country, and still I have a hard time figuring out why actual Bills fans continue to dis the fine city of Buffalo.  Yea, hang all the politicians and cut the dang taxes in half for sure, but the city itself is far more liveable then most.

585287[/snapback]

they have better lookin' broads, though...

If this is indeed true, I am going to post again my idea for DC.

Mike Singletary for the job. He is not only one of the best LBs of all time, but one of the best players in the entire NFL ever! PERIOD.

I say forget Bates and bring in Singletary!

585240[/snapback]

Seems to be an important ingredient......just ask Bart Starr, Ted Williams

and Isaiah Thomas... :lol:

I have been a little out of the loop lately.....who is the Texans DC?  I live in Austin, just yesterday morning, they were talking about the very subject, and mentioned Jerry Gray and Jim Bates as the two most likely candidates...fill me in?  Also, who is the Jets d-coordinator?

I know that it is blasphamous the last couple of days, on the wall, to suggest that our owner is cheap, but I hate to say I told you so...Bates was never going to come to Buffalo!  I would not be shocked, when the numbers come out, if Bates makes almost as much this year from the Packers, sitting , than Dick Jauron makes this year....

585272[/snapback]

Maybe the Texans pick up Gray. :lol:

Clayton, like all of these talking heads has to come up with something to talk about every day, a couple times a day. He had Haslett coming here ...90% was the figure I think I heard. These guys, Clayton, Mort.., etc. can say anything they want, it is all a guess, even when "sources close the team/league" are foot noted to their report it is still just a guess, speculation, chuming the football fan waters if you will.

And regarding picking Houston over Buffalo, or Buffalo over Houston....C'mon folks these guys can find really nice homes to live in, schools to send there kids to, in any NFL city. It is about the job and the fit/people and dare I say the money.

From what I understand, Bates is getting $750K from the Packers each of the next 2 years.  He already rejected $1M a year from the Rams.  I'd have to think the Bills are offering him that much.  He'd be a fool to turn down a $250K raise and be under the radar for a year, hoping for a good gig next year.

585112[/snapback]

be a bigger fool to come to buffalo and join a staff of losers

You obviously have not lived in Houston.  Maybe national perception has it that its better then Buffalo, but nothing could be further from the truth.  The weather has all the advantages of a swamp,  traffic is the equal of LA's mobile parking lot, and the city itself has all the charm of a strip mall.  Actually, slightly less charm then a strip mall...  And BTW, I'm being kind in case there are any Houstonians reading this.

585287[/snapback]

My wife is originally from Houston with virtually all of her family still in the area. Last time we were there was this past Thanksgiving. Houston may not be as bad as you portray it, but it's pretty darn close.

It's a big city with very little to offer in the "charm" or "quaint" categories. In fact, my wife prefers Bflo over Houston and has even said that if I wanted move back she'd be all for it - weather and economy be damned. Aside from authentic Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine, Houston just doesn't have much to offer.

Well, it looks as though the Bates hiring is far from a done deal. With that being said, I would be a HUGE fan of bringing in Mike Singletary for the job.

While I would be on board with that, I'm having a hard time imagining The Samurai wanting anything to do with this league-wide joke of an organization right now. He's a smart man and would probably rather not be associated with this circus act (kinda like Mularkey, Wyche, Bates, etc).

He knows defense and what it takes to be successful. He is a great teacher as well. I don't know how many of you guys saw the piece yesterday on the NFL Network where he was coaching at the Senior Bowl, but it was a great illustration of his coaching technique and his ability to teach. He is a great coach. I think if given a chance, he can not only be a fantastic DC in this league, but he may turn out to be a FANTASTIC Head Coach in this League someday!

I say forget Bates and bring in Singletary!

585240[/snapback]

I saw yesterday's piece on NFL Network. He's intense. He's a motivator. He demands perfection. He knows what it takes. Outstanding watching him work with those LBs, and I was thinking the same thing as you.

The only nagging question I have is...can he pull it all together?

Seems to be an important ingredient......just ask Bart Starr, Ted Williams

and Isaiah Thomas... :lol:

585309[/snapback]

I gotta defend Teddy Ballgame here. He was a great player, an extremely intelligent baseball guy, and a decent manager on teams with little talent. If you've read any of his books you would be amazed at the method to his madness and just how well he knew the game of baseball and the art of hitting. Great talent, great mind, great guy...crazy kids

According to Fred Smerlas, who claims to speak with Haslett everyday, Haslett wanted the Bills HC job, so bad, he would have taken it, even at a low-ball price...he would have not taken the DC job in Buffalo, for a low-ball price.  Smerlas said that RW pays his head coaches "next to nothing" and his assistants "nothing"!  And then, of course, fat Fred lobbied to get the Bills color job for radio broadcasts, but only if the "price is right!"

I have to believe that Gray would likely be pretty pissed off at the Bills right now.  I don't really like the job he has done, overall, but I think the Bills sort of ambiguous stance on him had to hurt his chances of getting more interviews, and maybe a job.  I know he won't lose any money, but they could at least treat him with some dignity...what would be really embarassing is if the Bills are forced to bring him back next season, because they can't get anyone else....

585286[/snapback]

Why are we still discussing the Haslett for HC or DC? Doesn't anyone recall his comments ('roids) in which he insinuated that two of the Bills most liked players (Hull and Hansen) were indirectly referenced as users? I would not be surprised if Ralph and now Marv do....

Haslett - crazy player who once kicked (albeit rather poorly) Terry Bradshaw in the head...........let it go.............

Snippet from the article by Mark in Buffalo News...right at the end of the

article, it says as of Thursday evening, Bates was still undecided....

Meanwhile, the Bills still were waiting to hear if former Green Bay assistant Jim Bates was going to become their defensive coordinator. A representative for Bates said Thursday evening the coach still was "mulling things over."

I gotta defend Teddy Ballgame here.  He was a great player, an extremely intelligent baseball guy, and a decent manager on teams with little talent.  If you've read any of his books you would be amazed at the method to his madness and just how well he knew the game of baseball and the art of hitting.  Great talent, great mind, great guy...crazy kids

585390[/snapback]

While I agree with much of what you have stated, I was just trying to imply that "greatness" on the field doesn't necassarily translate to the coaching.

While I agree with much of what you have stated, I was just trying to imply that "greatness" on the field doesn't necassarily translate to the coaching.

585444[/snapback]

Check out the piece NFL Network did on him yesterday if you have a chance. There's no doubt in my mind he's a fine coach after seeing him work at the Sr. Bowl. Still doubts about him as a DC, but not as a coach.

585444[/snapback]

And I totally agree with you that greatness doesnt reflect coaching skills, which we've seen numerous times throughout history.

However, I still believe that Ted Williams was a much better manager and coach than his record with 2 expansion teams indicate. No coach can make a career .230 hitter a .300 hitter, but a good coach can teach a .230 hitter to be a .250 hitter. The problem for Ted was he was given a team full of .230 hitters and was expected to turn them into champions.

Sorry I'm just a big advocate of Ted Williams, especially after reading his book about hitting. I learned a lot and my batting average improved .78 from my final fall season of college ball to my final spring season.

I gotta defend Teddy Ballgame here.  He was a great player, an extremely intelligent baseball guy, and a decent manager on teams with little talent.  If you've read any of his books you would be amazed at the method to his madness and just how well he knew the game of baseball and the art of hitting.  Great talent, great mind, great guy...crazy kids

585390[/snapback]

Hasn't Teddy (or various parts of him) been preserved? Maybe we could get his head, transplant it onto Posey's body (which is preserved from not doing much this year) and have him be defensive co-ordinator? :lol:

Check out the piece NFL Network did on him yesterday if you have a chance.  There's no doubt in my mind he's a fine coach after seeing him work at the Sr. Bowl.  Still doubts about him as a DC, but not as a coach.

585449[/snapback]

I will look for that. Hey, no doubting MS is a fiery competitor who was an all-time great. And, by the way, I wouldn't mind having that "fire" on our sidelines. Maybe with some seasoning......

And I totally agree with you that greatness doesnt reflect coaching skills, which we've seen numerous times throughout history. 

However, I still believe that Ted Williams was a much better manager and coach than his record with 2 expansion teams indicate.  No coach can make a career .230 hitter a .300 hitter, but a good coach can teach a .230 hitter to be a .250 hitter.  The problem for Ted was he was given a team full of .230 hitters and was expected to turn them into champions.

Sorry I'm just a big advocate of Ted Williams, especially after reading his book about hitting.  I learned a lot and my batting average improved .78 from my final fall season of college ball to my final spring season.

585455[/snapback]

I'm with you, brother. I'm not knocking the Splendid Splinter, I'm a big fan myself. Though I haven't read his book, I've often heard how others have benefitted from his teachings. You're proof of that. He done learned you somethin'....which is pretty cool. Must've been nice taking his "word" to the field of play and making it work for you. That's good stuff.

Douche bag...f** him  :lol:

PTR

585116[/snapback]

You ever turn down a job offer because you didn't want to work for the company?? I don't think Bates is interested in the Bills and is hoping to land with another team. If his heart's not in it, why bother.