The OFFICIAL American Idol 2006 Thread

Rico

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buh-bye Bucky.  :rolleyes:

660579[/snapback]

DeBuckified at last! Seems like a nice enough guy.....but come on, his fifteen mins were up long before Covais' should have been :lol:

The round of eight post mortem:

Well….The teenage girls and lonely divorcees have spoken (shrieked) loudly. Ace Young and his pout get to stick around yet another week, talent be damned. He turned in one of the worst performances in five seasons of AI on Tuesday, yet through the wonders of technology and the delusions of the lonely, he advances on to Rod Stewart night (shudder) next week.

To hammer home how bad Ace was in relation to Vanilla Yamin and Bucky (the other two at the bottom), Fox/AI forced us to sit through all three performances again. Based on Ace’s version of “We will rock you” Tuesday evening, you would say to yourself, “Well, self, there is no way Ace could pull off a worse rendition of that song than what I was subjected to last night.” But, as he began to “sing”, you, like me, realized that yes, yes indeed Ace could manage to do worse. Much, much worse. But, like the night before, he gave the ladies what they wanted…he pouted, he flexed, he cried, he toyed with his hair and tucked his t-shirt in behind his belt buckle. He did everything but show he had any other talent than his looks. And he gets to do it all again next week.

As for Bucky, well, America sends the last remaining interesting competitor home. This writer is not a fan of the genre of music that Bucky is prone to warbling. But what made me pull for him was what he symbolized. Here was a blue collar guy from simple beginnings crooning his way to the land of glitz and ditz. Bucky wasn’t putting on an act, wasn’t trying to put one over on us, wasn’t pouting his way into our living rooms. He showed up, sang, had fun, and left with class. He was at the bottom more than he was at the top, but dealt with it the way a man who is comfortable with his lot in life should. With the humility and dignity of someone that doesn’t give a damn.

And so we say goodbye, Bucky Covington. You may have lost on American Idol, but you have won the respect of this simple scribe.

I was watching another "competition" show last night. There was a very small, very quickly flashed disclaimer in the credits that "network officials are consulted on some eliminations" or words to that effect.

This brings up some disturbing thoughts regarding manipulation.

Is there any similar "disclaimer" on the AI show?

The round of eight post mortem:

Well….The teenage girls and lonely divorcees have spoken (shrieked) loudly.  Ace Young and his pout get to stick around yet another week, talent be damned.  He turned in one of the worst performances in five seasons of AI on Tuesday, yet through the wonders of technology and the delusions of the lonely, he advances on to Rod Stewart night (shudder) next week. 

660781[/snapback]

Are you freakin KIDDING me? Barry Manilow-to-Queen-to-Rod Stewart?

What are they going to do next year to "top" that trifecta? Why don't they just get right to Chipmunks night and be done with it?

you forgot Kenny Rogers

660932[/snapback]

Holy schit, i did. I don't watch the show (I get plenty from Mr. Coli's summary, thank you), so i forget. Man, they just packed the season full of crap. They could issue a DVD and call it, AI: The Blivet Season.

I was watching another "competition" show last night. There was a very small, very quickly flashed disclaimer in the credits that "network officials are consulted on some eliminations" or words to that effect.

This brings up some disturbing thoughts regarding manipulation.

Is there any similar "disclaimer" on the AI show?

660794[/snapback]

Well, here you go

I have to believe Brian May on this, cuz I would have thought that making Ace look foolish would have been in Queen's best interests. :P

You sure do say that a lot  :doh:

661265[/snapback]

In the beginning i saw a performance or two. Since i REALLY liked Taylor's own songs that were shared here, I wanted to see him perform. When i saw that he pretty much sucked on the show, I really never bothered to even peek during commercials.

It's important for posterity (and for the authenticity of my pompousity) that it be known, far and wide, I do NOT watch that show. :huh:

In the beginning i saw a performance or two.  Since i REALLY liked Taylor's own songs that were shared here, I wanted to see him perform.  When i saw that he pretty much sucked on the show, I really never bothered to even peek during commercials.

It's important for posterity (and for the authenticity of my pompousity) that it be known, far and wide, I do NOT watch that show.  :doh:

661274[/snapback]

Neither do I, but when I asked an honest question about it, I got sent on a goosechase. Can't figure out how that answered a yes or no question. Seems defensive to me.

Neither do I, but when I asked an honest question about it, I got sent on a goosechase. Can't figure out how that answered a yes or no question. Seems defensive to me.

661279[/snapback]

?????

i only like programs that get my emotions flowing.

since i hated Chicken Little, and would fume each week when he was given the "safe" call from that gay guy that hosts the show....i have really lost interest.

i do however look forward to seeing what Taylor will do each week.

Tues. Night was the first time I had seen it in a couple of weeks.

Ace was horrible.

The Pickler chick was imo, horrible. she needs to go back to the trailer park and make babies.

Hillbillie boy got booted but i sort of liked his performance

Taylor is my favorite but he was only ok

The little girl at the end scared me.

the big boobed chick was not good. but i love looking at her when she dresses like a slut.

the rocker is the best but, i didn't like the song he sang.

the other guy who i can't remember what his name is, but he looks really wierd, i don't know what he sang but he is too hard to look at to win.

this show sucks since Chicken Little got voted off.

?????

661284[/snapback]

Read past your last post, if that's possible. I asked a question about network exec influence on voting. I got back as the only answer some blog link about how everyone was really cool.

Read past your last post, if that's possible. I asked a question about network exec influence on voting. I got back as the only answer some blog link about how everyone was really cool.

661302[/snapback]

Since it was in the response to my post, i thought I may have done somthing i didn't remember doing.

BTW, the answer to your question is, IMO, "YES".

661279[/snapback]

I watch it because it's a good foil for ridicule. To answer your question, though, I've always suspected shenanigans. They never reveal the actual vote totals, but show you the "bottom three" contestants every week, which almost always include someone you wouldn't suspect of being in the bottom three. I think they allow people to vote on who advances for the most part, but step in occasionally to jerk the audience around.

By putting one of the favorites in the bottom, they ensure that people will panic and vote like mad the following week, increasing the number of "votes" that are generated. They most likely use these numbers to show to potential advertisers, and then that can be transferred to how much it costs to advertise during the show.

They almost got burned last year because people were voting like mad for the worst contestant. That's why I think they occasionally knock someone off that they have no intention of letting win the competition, even though that person has enough votes to go further. They'll keep an interesting, untalented finalist around because it generates interest in the show, but if it looks like they might start getting real momentum, they'll step in and boot 'em, regardless of the vote totals, which they rarely reveal. In the end they have to try and get a person to sing on a hit record, and while someone like me would prefer to see it end in a total freak show, it would kill the cash cow. It's a very good television design.

I thought Queen was supposed to perform live on the results show -- I seem to recall Ryan saying that on Tuesday's show, or at least on last week's elimination show when they announced Queen Week. Anybody know why they didn't perform? Was Brian May too pi$$ed that Ace didn't get booted off the show after asking Queen to change the arrangement of We Will Rock You?

And Johnny Coli, let me add another voice to the chorus of your fans. Your reviews are genuinely entertaining and have assumed cult legend status among my friends who are brave enough to admit they watch Idol.

I thought Queen was supposed to perform live on the results show -- I seem to recall Ryan saying that on Tuesday's show, or at least on last week's elimination show when they announced Queen Week.  Anybody know why they didn't perform?  Was Brian May too pi$$ed that Ace didn't get booted off the show after asking Queen to change the arrangement of We Will Rock You?

661404[/snapback]

Found the answer to my own question, in case anyone is interested. Actually, lots of intresting Idol stuff in this link to Brian May's blog...

Blog from Brian May's website

Yawn.  And they're not even letting them choose some of his older, classic material.  It's all this American standards type music he's been putting out recently.

661989[/snapback]

I know. :rolleyes: Thats what sucks. Here are the choices they have:

Songs from the Great American Songbook:

1. You Go To My Head (feat Dave Koz)

2. They Can't Take That Away From Me (feat Arturo Sandoval)

3. The Way You Look Tonight

4. It Had to Be You (feat Michael Brecker)

5. That Old Feeling (feat Arturo Sandoval)

6. These Foolish Things (feat Dave Koz)

7. The Very Thought of You

8. Moonglow (feat Arturo Sandoval)

9. I'll Be Seeing You

10. Everytime We Say Goodbye (feat Dave Koz)

11. The Nearness of You

12. For All We Know

13. We'll Be Together Again

14. That's All

Disc: 2

1. Time After Time

2. I’m In The Mood For Love

3. Don’t Get Around Much Anymore

4. Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered (Duet with Cher)

5. 'Till There Was You

6. Until The Real Thing Comes Along

7. Where Or When

8. Smile

9. My Heart Stood Still

10. Someone To Watch Over Me

11. As Time Goes By (Duet with Queen Latifah)

12. I Only Have Eyes For You

13. Crazy She Calls Me

14. Our Love Is Here To Stay

Disc: 3

1. Embraceable You

2. For Sentimental Reasons (feat Dave Koz)

3. Blue Moon (feat Eric Clapton)

4. What A Wonderful World (feat Stevie Wonder)

5. Stardust

6. Manhattan (duet with Bette Midler)

7. S'Wonderful (feat Dave Grusin)

8. Isn't It Romantic (feat Dave Koz)

9. I Can't Get Started

10. But Not For Me

11. Kiss To Build A Dream On (feat Arturo Sandoval)

12. Baby, It's Cold Outside (duet with Dolly Parton)

13. Night And Day

14. A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

Disc: 4

1. I've Got a Crush on You - Diana Ross

2. I Wish You Love

3. You Send Me

4. Long Ago and Far Away

5. Makin' Whoopee

6. My One and Only Love - Chaka Khan

7. Taking a Chance on Love

8. My Funny Valentine

9. I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm - Elton John

10. Nevertheless

11. Blue Skies

12. Let's Fall in Love

13. Thanks for the Memory

My prediction on the bottom 3 was dead on, but once again my prediction of Ace being booted off was 100% wrong.

How has this guy survived? Did anyone actually hear that rendition of "We Will Rock You"? That version sounded like it should be sung by peace activists.

So long Bucky, you were actually good about 3 times, so it was time for you to go as well.

My current standings:

1.Katharine

2.Chris

3.Taylor

4.Kellie

5.Paris

6.Elliott

7.Ace

How has this guy survived? Did anyone actually hear that rendition of "We Will Rock You"? That version sounded like it should be sung by peace activists.

662555[/snapback]

It's the way he looks into the camera...that hypnotic stare. :rolleyes::D

Yawn.  And they're not even letting them choose some of his older, classic material.  It's all this American standards type music he's been putting out recently.

661989[/snapback]

This is unfortunate, because Taylor singing "Hot Legs" would have generated some great spaz moments on his part. <_<

Chris is AWESOME! That was beautiful.  <_<

664917[/snapback]

That was very, very impressive. It reminded me of when Bo Bice went a'cappella w/out the band last season. Not quite as daring, but just as good of a performance. After hearing that, I think he's clearly the most talented person in the competition. I honestly didn't think he could pull something like that off. Kudos to Daughtry!

That was very, very impressive. It reminded me of when Bo Bice went a'cappella w/out the band last season. Not quite as daring, but just as good of a performance. After hearing that, I think he's clearly the most talented person in the competition. I honestly didn't think he could pull something like that off. Kudos to Daughtry!

664923[/snapback]

Man, I missed his performace! The only reason I watch the show is to see him. Oh well...it's nice to know he did well. <_<

Bottom 3 prediction: Ace, Elliott, Kellie

Eliminated: Ace

To be honest nobody was terrible tonight. Still, this has got to be it for Ace. there is no way he is any better than most of these people.

665147[/snapback]

I'd be surprised if Kellie was in the bottom three, but not really upset about it. I think Travis, Daughtry, and Funbags should be the final three.....everyone else? Buh-bye.....

I'd be surprised if Kellie was in the bottom three, but not really upset about it. I think Travis, Daughtry, and Funbags should be the final three.....everyone else? Buh-bye.....

665148[/snapback]

Who the hell is Travis? If you meant Taylor, you are probably right. Kelly or Elliot should be booking a flight home. Sucked!

The moment we’ve all been waiting for has finally arrived. The Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes science experiment has produced a silent scream and a baby girl. Reports are daughter and human incubator are doing just swell. They’ve named the little bundle of joy “Suri”, which I’m told means “red rose” in Persian, “princess” in Hebrew, and “Devourer of Worlds” in Alpha-Centaurian. So, while Tom munches away on his placenta sandwich, and reptilian stormtroopers whisk away the vessel formerly known as Katie Holmes, we’ll toast the newest “Louise Brown”-esque addition to the third rock from the sun and make fun of some lesser known singing bags of meat.

Idol has deemed it necessary to eliminate all of the interesting contestants, leaving us with boring wannabes of varying shades of the same water-colored talent. This makes it pretty freaking hard to dole out the trashy comments and anecdotes, and we’ve almost burned through our entire copy of “The Big Book of Entertainment Clichés, Innuendos, and Insults” with a month-and-a-half of top-notch AI programming left. But, I’m willing to pour a Cocktail, take on this Mission Impossible and keep the Collateral damage to a minimum, if you’ll promise that there’ll be no Risky Business on your end (groan).

It’s Rod “The Mod” Stewart night on Idol. I’m not a huge fan of the guy who sang “Young Turks” and “Do you want my Body”, and I mostly remember him for loudly-colored hot pants and the mid-70s rumor about him going to the ER to have a gallon of semen pumped from his stomach. Questionable dietary proclivities aside, he’s another old singer who’s got a new-ish CD collection out, so in the minds of the AI producers he’s a perfect choice to trot out before a group of kids who don’t know him and don’t want his feedback, but will pretend this is the greatest moment of their lives and he’s been their jukebox hero the whole time they were growing up. To further reduce his relevance to the show, the Idol kids can only pick covers of old classics that he sang and released on the collection. But, whatever the reason was for knocking on his crypt door and inviting him on the show, we’re stuck with him and his bad dye-job, so here we go….

Chris Daughtry "What a Wonderful World":

Pretty easy song-choice for Ed Kowalczyk, I mean Chris Daughtry. I thought it was a bit weak, as I prefer the versions done by Joey Ramone and The Flaming Lips. But the judges thought he was great (big surprise there…the ushers had to mop under Paula’s chair during the break), and this Top Gun is undoubtedly safe.

Holy Cow!?! A Marilu Henner sighting! Must be a new Fox miniseries in the works about a used up divorcee getting passed around like a party favor on the set of a sitcom. Bottoms up, Marilu.

Paris Bennett "These Foolish Things”:

Little Miss Thing got to do The Ryan Seacrest Interview before she sang, and we got to see Little Miss Thing’s mom shed some tears (yawn). Her salmon (silent “L”, for the Pickler-posse) colored dress was a welcome change from last week’s frightening bondage get-up, and she nailed the song. Unfortunately the Report on this Minority is someone’s gotta be in the bottom three, and I wouldn’t be shocked if she was forced to stand in the Spotlight of Anxiety this week..

Talyor Hicks "You Send Me":

Taylor looked mighty old standing next to the vampire playboy Rod The Mod, and it’s a testament to Rod’s plastic surgeon and all the blood he sucked out of Rachel Hunter that he looks so damned good for his age. Compared to Manilow’s “taut as the head of a drum” face and Kenny Rogers’ weathered visage, Rod looked positively youthful. Hicks’ rendition of the Sam Cook hit was pretty dull until about halfway through when he panicked and started to bust out the seizure-inspired gyrations he’s known for. That probably saved his fat ass, because even though he showed he could in fact sing a little tonight, the audience doesn’t want Taylor Hicks…they want a drunken Chris Farley imitator. He made All The Right Moves, and he’s safe.

Elliott Yamin “It Had to Be You”:

It has to be someone, all right. And this week it could be Elliot to hit the road. His singing was ok…(he got to toss in his signature Yo MTV Raps Karate Chop) but it had an MS telethon feel to it. Replace the band with C-level “stars” manning the phone-banks and trot out a few kids, and he could have been Jerry Lewis minus the sweat and the ring around the collar. Vanilla “Sky” Ice could be in the bottom three, and very well could be singing The Song of Shame as a lead-in to your local news.

Mimi Rogers!!!!! Nice to see one of Cruise’s former beards in the audience on a night when his Offspring of the Damned emerges. Serendipity abounds!

Kelli Pickler “Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered”:

Rod The Mod said she had great personality, which in the entertainment biz means “She’s an idiot, but she’s got good looks.” How many Kelli Pickler’s (and A Few Good Men) has Rod Stewart used up in the course of his career? Hundreds? Thousands? Rod knows how she got this far, and he knows it’s got nothing to do with what comes out of her mouth. To prove the point that her fans aren’t voting for her because of her singing ability, girlfriend didn’t bother to sing at all, then batted her eye lashes and apologized for butchering it. She’s almost daring you to not vote for her at this point. She could end up in the bottom three this week, but it’s hard to believe that she won’t advance.

Ace Young “That's All”:

Ace cleaned up, wore a suit, pulled his hair back into a Last Samurai-like do, and added a lip quiver to his repertoire. Now we have “gaze longingly”, “pout”, and “quivering lip” to look forward to until he’s eliminated, which could come this week, but probably won’t because America is stupid.

Last up, the Kat the wasn’t kidnapped and impregnated by aliens….

Katherine McFee “Someone to Watch Over Me”:

She looked stunning, as usual, and totally nailed her song. She is Far and Away the best singer in the competition and should win the whole thing, which means the producers of AI will put her in the bottom three again to induce hysteria in the voters next week.

The big winner tonight was Rod Stewart, who got to show off his trophy fiancée and new (normally conceived) son, and let us see that he’s never suffered from the effects of swallowing Mr. Microphone.

The real loser tonight is Katie “there’s no place like home…there’s no place like home” Holmes whose purpose is now over and is being dragged away from her posh lifestyle to get chained to a dungeon wall.

Bottom three:

Tough call…everyone but Pickler showed up tonight. I’ll say Paris, Elliot and Ace get to stand under the hot lights, and Elliot gets booted . I’ve been wrong almost every week, though, which means I thankfully can’t find the musical pulse of the viewers.