Clements did resume play calling

VABills

Interesting piece from Clayton that Mularkey while he did take play calling away from Clements, did in fact turn them back over. WTF?????

Clement departure a surprise: The firing of Bills offensive coordinator Tom Clements is a surprise. Mularkey took the play-calling ability away from Clements and started calling the plays himself in the middle of the season. Mularkey never said anything publicly, but Clements was upset about the move. Clements ended up calling plays in the final months of the season but his relationship with the head coach wasn't the same. Over the next week, there could be as many as four changes on the coaching staff, some that will affect the defense.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=clayton_john

Interesting piece from Clayton that Mularkey while he did take play calling away from Clements, did in fact turn them back over.  WTF????? 

Clement departure a surprise: The firing of Bills offensive coordinator Tom Clements is a surprise. Mularkey took the play-calling ability away from Clements and started calling the plays himself in the middle of the season. Mularkey never said anything publicly, but Clements was upset about the move. Clements ended up calling plays in the final months of the season but his relationship with the head coach wasn't the same. Over the next week, there could be as many as four changes on the coaching staff, some that will affect the defense.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=clayton_john

559954[/snapback]

I actually have been wondering about this. I noticed TC with the play calling chart in sideline shots several times over the last few games.

Very interesting.

This article always intrigued me, and may have a lot to say about what went down the past year:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04053/276075.stm

Mularkey, who became head coach of the Buffalo Bills last month, wanted to hire Whisenhunt as his offensive coordinator in Buffalo this year. But Bills president Tom Donahoe pressed him to hire Tom Clements instead and Bill Cowher promoted Whisenhunt after a cursory look at other candidates.

"He's got a chance to do some things there," Mularkey said. "I think it's a great opportunity."

At the time I thought I recalled that the Steelers wouldn't give permission to interview Whisenhunt as they planned on making him the OC, which they did. It does indicate though that Pitt viewed Whisnehunt as being better than Clements though.

This article always intrigued me, and may have a lot to say about what went down the past year:

Mularkey, who became head coach of the Buffalo Bills last month, wanted to hire Whisenhunt as his offensive coordinator in Buffalo this year. But Bills president Tom Donahoe pressed him to hire Tom Clements instead and Bill Cowher promoted Whisenhunt after a cursory look at other candidates.

"He's got a chance to do some things there," Mularkey said. "I think it's a great opportunity."

559999[/snapback]

559999[/snapback]

He sure called a hell of a gadget play yesterday when Randel El took a direct snap, ran across the field and threw it back to Rothlisburger who launched the ball down field for a TD. The entire defense bought it and were completely out of position. I loved it.

He sure called a hell of a gadget play yesterday when Randel El took a direct snap, ran across the field and threw it back to Rothlisburger who launched the ball down field for a TD.  The entire defense bought it and were completely out of position.  I loved it.

560028[/snapback]

That was ND's old play the "monkey pass" that Holtz ran on FSU a bunch of times in the 90s. Those Seminoles fell for it every time too.

559999[/snapback]

that's really interesting. i had no idea.

that's really interesting. i had no idea.

560034[/snapback]

This story is a bit dated, and Post Gazette is the only one that ran with it. We never knew if there was substance to it, or Steelers spinning it for the benefit of Whisenhunt's promotion.

This story is a bit dated, and Post Gazette is the only one that ran with it.  We never knew if there was substance to it, or Steelers spinning it for the benefit of Whisenhunt's promotion.

560074[/snapback]

gotcha on the date. is the post gazette a lousy paper when it comes to football matters? i honestly don't have any idea.

is the post gazette a lousy paper when it comes to football matters? i honestly don't have any idea.

560080[/snapback]

Not @ all. The Post-Gazette has very good coverage not only of the NFL, but also collegiate and high school football. They have a pretty good rep, from what my brother (a reporter w/ 16 years experience) tells me. He also says the Buffalo News has a pretty bad rep, sad to say.

If this is true (never a given with Clayton), my guess is that TD forced MM to give the playcalling back to "his guy" Clements.  Hence, the medling reference we heard from RW...

559969[/snapback]

Clements was actually Mularkey's guy.

This story is a bit dated, and Post Gazette is the only one that ran with it.  We never knew if there was substance to it, or Steelers spinning it for the benefit of Whisenhunt's promotion.

560074[/snapback]

I know the article's dated. I just think it's interesting that Clements presumably wasn't MM's first choice for OC and that TD had his fingerprints all over his hire. I believe I read somewhere (Felser, maybe) that TD also tried to hire Clements during the GW era, but the Stillers wouldn't give permission.

I've always had a high regard for Ed Bouchette's work and don't think he's be that likely to run with a spun story. It's also interesting that Whisenhunt will be intereviewed for the Houston HC openning after the playoffs.

I actually have been wondering about this.  I noticed TC with the play calling chart in sideline shots several times over the last few games.

Very interesting.

559976[/snapback]

I asked that question towards the end of the season. In every shot of MM I never saw a play chart, and wondered WTF was going on. On one hand I hope he was forced into giving the calls back to Clements because that absolves him of 'blame' in the horrible calls, on the other hand if he was forced he needs to grow a couple.

Actually, Tom Donahoe wanted Gregg Williams to hire Tom Clements.  So, if you look at it that way, it looks like DOnahoe has been looking to hire Clements for awhile, way before Mularkey.

560119[/snapback]

just throwing this out there -- what do you think mularkey and donohoe's relationship was like by the end?

just throwing this out there -- what do you think mularkey and donohoe's relationship was like by the end?

560186[/snapback]

I think Mularkey still here says alot, same with Modrak. Modrak is what shocks me the most. He was TD's right hand man, we thought. With him staying, it kind of looks like TD was not as close with Modrak or Mularkey at the time of his departure.

Its a wait and see situation now.

Modrak is what shocks me the most.  He was TD's right hand man, we thought.  With him staying, it kind of looks like TD was not as close with Modrak or Mularkey at the time of his departure.

Its a wait and see situation now.

560203[/snapback]

Well, Modrak wasn't that close....he was 1,200 miles away to be precise! :doh:

Well, that doesnt worry me too much, he can look over players and scout players from his home if he wants, I dont see it as a problem.  He is just a head scout basically.

560212[/snapback]

Tough to get a read on a guy's "character" from video...better to look 'em in the eye and see if they blink when you ask a tough question.

Tough to get a read on a guy's "character" from video...better to look 'em in the eye and see if they blink when you ask a tough question.

560217[/snapback]

Oh, he goes to the combine. He meets with players, he just doesnt work at One Bills drive. His office is his home, but he does go and see players in person.

Oh, he goes to the combine.  He meets with players, he just doesnt work at One Bills drive.  His office is his home, but he does go and see players in person.

560222[/snapback]

I know. I'm just being tough on Modrak because he's a part-timer, IMO. :lol:

I'd like to see TM interact with the team as much as possible, when not out on the road scouting, so he can get a feel for how players perform AFTER they've been drafted and made the roster, what their strengths and weaknesses are as pros, and to also get a better feel for what the coaching staff is thinking, etc.

I don't see how he can do as good job a by "remote control" as if he could if he were more involved with the team...and it looks like RW thinks the same thing. :doh:

I know.  I'm just being tough on Modrak because he's a part-timer, IMO.    :lol:

I'd like to see TM interact with the team as much as possible, when not out on the road scouting, so he can get a feel for how players perform AFTER they've been drafted and made the roster, what their strengths and weaknesses are as pros, and to also get a better feel for what the coaching staff is thinking, etc. 

I don't see how he can do as good job a by "remote control" as if he could if he were more involved with the team...and it looks like RW thinks the same thing.  :doh:

560266[/snapback]

I dont think he wants that. He is purley a scout. He scouts NFL players and college players, he wants nothing to do with running a team as the GM. he has turned down many GM jobs over the last couple years.

This is why I think he and Marv are a great Combo. Modrak knows how to spot talent, Marv knows how to do the rest.

Alot of people are worried about Marv building a team, but he knows what he wants, Modrak will just be the one to find it.

I dont think he wants that.  He is purley a scout.  He scouts NFL players and college players, he wants nothing to do with running a team as the GM.  he has turned down many GM jobs over the last couple years.

560308[/snapback]

I'm talking about player personnel evaluation, not being a GM. IMO, a scout that only looks at video and talks to players at the combine or on campus is missing an important element of NFL team and player personnel interaction.

Most team's (businesses for that matter) probably would be reluctant to have their scouting (sales) department run from 1,200 miles away. It'll be interesting to see how this changes under Marv's "consensus" approach to decision making.

I'm talking about player personnel evaluation, not being a GM.  IMO, a scout that only looks at video and talks to players at the combine or on campus is missing an important element of NFL team and player personnel interaction. 

Most team's (businesses for that matter) probably would be reluctant to have their scouting (sales) department run from 1,200 miles away.   It'll be interesting to see how this changes under Marv's "consensus" approach to decision making.

560317[/snapback]

I dont get what your saying? Thats been his job all the way back with Philly, player personnel evaluation, its what he does here.

The GM runs the team, Modrak finds the players to fit into our team. He has done it for awhile, he is good at it.

The things is, what players does the GM think we need. Thats the key.

I dont get what your saying? Thats been his job all the way back with Philly, player personnel evaluation, its what he does here.

The GM runs the team, Modrak finds the players to fit into our team. He has done it for awhile, he is good at it.

The things is, what players do the GM think we need. Thats the key.

560323[/snapback]

Well, I'm curious if Jeff Lurie let TM work from home during his stint with the Eagles, or if he had him based in Philly?

My point is, I'd like to see Modrak spend more time with the GM and coaching staff in Buffalo beyond draft day. They should be a close knit team. TMs new role in pro player evaluation -- and RW's request that he hang out at OBD -- will solve this issue in any event.