Quality of the 2005 NFL season?

SDS

says it is crap this year. Crap games, crap teams. Poor product this season. Says only the Colts seem to be playing good, consistant football this season.

In a way I agree. It seems every team is equally crappy (as opposed to being equally good).

What say you?

whatever...if that crappy competition lands us in the playoffs at 8-8 who cares...cuz anything can happen in the playoffs baby! Oh yeah and Wilbon is pretty on, but this IS the product the NFL pushes. It will be very tough for dynasties to occur anymore because free agency has leveled the playing field, so a winning team needs to catch a lot of breaks on the field. Or if an organization fields a dominant team one year (ie the Colts) its tough to maintain dominance with contract demands and free agency pulling teams apart. The Pats :lol: could be the last team to go on a run of 3 super bowls in 4 years for awhile. And this current trend towards parity has really made me appreciate how good the Bills teams in the SB years really were.

Salary Cap = Parity

It's never been more evident than this year. Injuries and positional shortages have made the NFL a league full of .500 teams, outside of Indy.

It allows 4-5 teams like Buffalo to still hold hopes of a playoff spot.

Now Wilbon can return to following his beloved NBA . :lol:

whatever...if that crappy competition lands us in the playoffs at 8-8 who cares...cuz anything can happen in the playoffs baby! Oh yeah and Wilbon is pretty on, but this IS the product the NFL pushes. It will be very tough for dynasties to occur anymore because free agency has leveled the playing field, so a winning team needs to catch a lot of breaks on the field.  Or if an organization fields a dominant team one year (ie the Colts) its tough to maintain dominance with contract demands and free agency pulling teams apart. The Pats  :lol: could be the last team to go on a run of 3 super bowls in 4 years for awhile. And this current trend towards parity has really made me appreciate how good the Bills teams in the SB years really were.

503401[/snapback]

I really think we are finally seeing the the salary cap at it's full potential. Granted, injuries have really slowed down teams like New England, but teams in general are feeling the effects of the cap. It seemed for the first 10 years or so of cap-dom, teams spent regardless and wound up paying for it on the back end. (See 49ers, Bills, Titans, and most teams in one way or another) The Patriots reaped the long awaited benefits by being just a tiny bit better at scouting/drafting than most teams. The Colts are certainly the cream of the crop this year but they get theirs in a year or two when they have to pay for it. (although I do feel it is worthwhile)

says it is crap this year.  Crap games, crap teams.  Poor product this season.  Says only the Colts seem to be playing good, consistant football this season.

In a way I agree.  It seems every team is equally crappy (as opposed to being equally good).

What say you?

503276[/snapback]

I say that our Football Pool is a direct reflection on this season. There is no way guys like me, you and BiB should have 12 win weeks. :lol:

Seriously, many of the matchups have been lopsided, with seemingly few upsets. I don't know if this says anything about the league itself, or it was just the way the schedule worked out.

This week looks very balanced in terms of close matchups. I would not be surprised if I have 8 or 9 losers. :unsure:

says it is crap this year.  Crap games, crap teams.  Poor product this season.  Says only the Colts seem to be playing good, consistant football this season.

In a way I agree.  It seems every team is equally crappy (as opposed to being equally good).

What say you?

503276[/snapback]

I think he is just pissed because he had Priest Holmes & TO on his fantasy team.

I posted last week that the most football I watched was during the bye week, and most teams just do not impress me. The only teams right now that appear to me as playing really consistant, solid ball are the Steelers and the Colts(with possibly Denver thrown in, but I'm still not buying them)

I definitely agree about the lack of good entertainment from football for the most part this year. I actually do not have a philosophical problem with parity. I love a blowout when its my team that is winning, but in general I find close games more entertaining if I have little or no rooting interest.

However, the big problem this year is that the game as has gotten so compliacated and systematic (and big money pressured) that the games seemed filled with poor execution.

I don't know about most folks but the first half of the Bills game may well have been one of the least entertaining games I have watched in years.

The game was not even a funny comedy of errors, but simply was mostly a pathetic series of effors where each team seemed to want to top each other in making foolish mistakes and failing to capitalize on those errors.

I have no problem and in fact enjoy watching a good defensive stand where a team gets the ball deep in the redzone and a goaline D makes four good plays to stone the opponent with 0 points to show for their effort.

However, to see teams drive down the field while opponents seemingly whiff on makeable tackles and then suddenly the D learns to tackle and the O makes stupid play calls (like the fourth down fake dive, aborted pass, and then a sack),

There was also the play where KC drove and fumbled (Fletcher made a nice play to shake the ball loose though) but Posey rumbled back only to be hauled down short of the endzone and the Bills looked feeble in the redzone only to give the ball away so the whole interlude was full of sound and fury but amounted to nothing.

However, the worse in entertainment and good football was to have both teams drive, get stopped, and not once, not twice, not three times, but four times see the kickers then miss the FGs despite their solid records before was just bad football.

Sunday's 1st half fortunately turned into the goodness of a win, but I found it symbolic of a season that has simply feaured poor execution. Whether it was a game like th NE gig where we best them all over the field but could not cash in or last week where we got beaten all over the field but they could not cash in, the game is simply not a good game.

I don't see parity as the central problem here, its just poor execution in game which has gotten too complicated for its own good.

I won't say how, but I am a 'confidence' pool with Mike...you pick every game and give each game and starting with 16 points you give points to each game (16 points to your most confident pick, 15 to the next and so on...). Overall, Mike has done really well, but this might have been his worst week....could be a little frustrating - I think lots of us gave big points to the giants and atlanta this week only to realize that these teams won't win all of the games they are supposed to

I posted last week that the most football I watched was during the bye week, and most teams just do not impress me. The only teams right now that appear to me as playing really consistant, solid ball are the Steelers and the Colts(with possibly Denver thrown in, but I'm still not buying them)

503489[/snapback]

With the exception of the Colts nobody is playing better football right now than the Carolina Panthers. You can throw Seattle into the mix too as playing consistant football. We'll see what the Bengals are made of this weekend.

I don't think this year is unlike any other year in the salary cap era. You have handful of teams playing well a handful of teams playing really poorly and the majority of the league playing so-so.

What say you?

503276[/snapback]

Perfect...let the Bills win the Super Bowl. Then we can listen to Wilbon and Kornholio debate whether this was the worst NFL season ever!

PTR

As much as I love the Bills and football..I find it funny when someone takes a shot at the quality of play in the NFL, which has CLEARLY regressed over the years, its a sin, but its perfectly ok to take shots at the NBA and NHL.

Why? Because the NBA and NHL arent fueled by fantasy sports and gambling like the NFL?

503489[/snapback]

I'm not buying Denver as an elite team either. Not when Jake Plummer will remember that he's Jake Plummer at some point.

The Steelers are doing exactly what they do every year, and they've raised it to an art form. Solid running game, exceptional O line, and terrific defensive play brings winners, and I think the Steelers understand this better than any other team...dammit. :rolleyes:

The only thing that would make this season complete is another Steeler el foldo in the AFC Championship. It's to the point now that you can almost set your watch by it.

The Colts are dominant this year, I think that's obvious. I think they probably go 14-2 (I don't see them running the table. Not when the AFC South could be clinched as early as Thanksgiving, and they can rest some of their starters). The Indianapolis Colts are the team to beat.

I admit, I bought into the NY Giants hooplah. Then, they lay an egg against Minnesota, who, believe it or not, is one game out of a playoff spot.

I think I will stick with my preseason Super Bowl prediction of Indy and Atlanta, even with their embarrassing loss to the Packers this week.

Mike

I really think we are finally seeing the the salary cap at it's full potential.  Granted, injuries have really slowed down teams like New England, but teams in general are feeling the effects of the cap.  It seemed for the first 10 years or so of cap-dom, teams spent regardless and wound up paying for it on the back end.  (See 49ers, Bills, Titans, and most teams in one way or another)  The Patriots reaped the long awaited benefits by being just a tiny bit better at scouting/drafting than most teams.  The Colts are certainly the cream of the crop this year but they get theirs in a year or two when they have to pay for it.  (although I do feel it is worthwhile)

503410[/snapback]

well said inkman....--the salary cap has reached its full potential----the talent and the effort are out there----BUT teams dont have the chance to develope chemistry anymore..QBs arent allowed to develope properly.players come and go into a sytem and have only a couple months to get to know eachother--leading to a game that lacks flow--lacks consistency...You rarely see real classics.--Again--the overall talent is just as high as ever--but there are so many breakdowns in fundamentals and lack of teamwork--that it takes away from the enjoyment of the games.

well said inkman....--the salary cap has reached its full potential----the talent and the effort are out there----BUT teams dont have the chance to develope chemistry anymore..QBs arent allowed to develope properly.players come and go into a sytem and have only a couple months to get to know eachother--leading to a game that lacks flow--lacks consistency...You rarely see real classics.--Again--the overall talent is just as high as ever--but there are so many breakdowns in fundamentals and lack of teamwork--that it takes away from the enjoyment of the games.

504620[/snapback]

I agree with the chemistry bit. However, I do think you start to see better quality play in the second half of the year as players/coaches know each other and their capabilities better.

Again--the overall talent is just as high as ever--but there are so many breakdowns in fundamentals and lack of teamwork--that it takes away from the enjoyment of the games.

504620[/snapback]

I am not sure about that....Having 32 teams has definitely watered down the

standards of the teams....

Plus, the last few SB winners have taken out the charisma out of their

winning season with workmanlike coaches....

Olden days when the Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnsons were winning they

definitely made the league colorful with their promises and rivalries...

In todays NFL we just don't have that......People like Belicheck and Fox

have completely shut off their players and have made them into Robots...

depriving the fans the colorful personalities...Instead we get the Terell Owens

to talk.....

What say you?

503276[/snapback]

I love Wilbon (not in THAT way), but disagree with him on this, THIS year. There are SIX teams with two or fewer losses and TWELVE teams with three or fewer defeats. That means there are twelve teams with a winning percentage of .667 or better.

There are eleven teams with 3 or fewer wins (.333 or worse). That leaves 9 teams in the middle.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, ther have been years when the largest % of teams were "mediocre"...that is in the middle winning % category. The whole thing about parity as a praody has been used (more succesfully, I think) in the past.

I would agree that there are no GREAT teams besides the Colts (and they might not be as great as their record...we might see if they EVER have to play outside in the cold...which they may not)...but there are many REAL GOOD teams this year.