Let's play "You're Tom Donahoe"

Do you trade/draft to strengthen the offensive, or bolster the defense? (It's a given that you have to deal with "both," so that's not an option in this poll. What would be your ultimate priority?)  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trade/draft to strengthen the offensive, or bolster the defense? (It's a given that you have to deal with "both," so that's not an option in this poll. What would be your ultimate priority?)

• Pump up the offense; I want to be in the top 5.
    • Defense wins Super Bowls--let's start with a better run D.
    • I'd rather stick a pen in my eye than have that job!

Hey, I'm just a new guy around here. But it seems that there's a lot of armchair quarterbacking (general managering?) related to TD. So, let' strip away all the expert opinions and get down to the basic question: if you are heading toward the playoffs and, ultimately, the Super Bowl in the next 5 years what's your focus?

I think it's much more in-depth than what you've got up there.

Bolstering both lines is priority #1 (especially LT and NT/DT), and it's something that pays huge dividends when all of the other parts of the machine will be able to work better b/c of it.

Most other positions are relatively set with playmakers and I'm pretty confident in them, it's just that TD went for the sizzle before the steak.

If I was Tom Donahoe, I would draft another WR or possibly another running back. If I was me, with Donahoe's job, I would go for OLine.

482273[/snapback]

:doh:;):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good one!

Actually if you were TD (or at least if I was TD) you'd pick "The best available player"

If I was Tom Donahoe I'd go Best available Player, and constantly look through the necessary means free agents, trade, draft for players to help improve the team :doh:

I went with D. I'm not an offensive person, and not overly impressed by flashy offensive stats. I Yawn at 300 yard passing games and prefer dominant running, and solid defense that gets pressure on the quaterback and forces turnovers.

Line play is the most important aspect to football anyway you slice it. Right now I have the dline as priority #1 yes even over LT. I think the draft is deep enough in tackle talent we can get a good lt in 2nd and even 3rd rd or maybe someone in free agency, but for now Gandy is a better LT then the guys we have playing dt with the exception of Sam Adams. That would be my foremost objective. A Run stoping dt ala Gabe Watson from Michigan. Massive dude who can compare to our own Sam Adams. Pass rushing defensive end and our lb is another route I'd go. I know no one would hear it but I'd look at Lavar Arrington if he gets let go by Washington. Yeah he's a free lancer, but the dude can flat out get after the quaterback.

I'd definitly look for #1 run stoping dt. #2. pass rushing de/lb #3. LT # 4. run blocking te. TE. #5. Quaterback. (I wasn't a losman fan when he was in college, and while as a Bills fan I hope he has it. I haven't seen anything to say he has it. I wouldn't do it early but drafting a qb in later rounds might not be a bad idea, even if it's just someone to replace matthews and not neccessarily Losman)

I believe that a dominant DE would provide an element that the Bills have lacked since Bruce left! The Bills will be forced soon to address the Safety position because Troy Vincent and Lawyer Milloy aren't getting any younger. I agree with the notion that games are won and lost in the trenches. I also agree that the skill positions (sans TE, maybe Everett??) are looking good in the future. The Bills in the next few years are going to need to retool and that can get dicey if the scouting department isn't astute in '06 and '07....Finally, the Bills MUST play their hand from strengths already established and that would be CB's, LB's and the Trio of Losman, Evans, and McGahee!!!

The problem with the thinking of you must fix the OL or the DL or one place or another in the draft or FA is that every other GM and Coach is thinking the exact same thing. Fans think teams should just draft a tackle if you need a tackle but don't always consider what the other 31 teams are doing. TD wanted a DL in the first round in 2003 because we needed a pass rush. But 7-9 of them or so were taken in the first rounda head of our pick. That is why he chose McGahee #1, not because he went into the draft wanting a RB or McGahee. You draft each spot based on the guy you think will help your team the most and be worth the money, but if you like two OTs and they get taken just before your pick it doesn't mean you're ignoring tackles, it just means the ones left arent that high on your list.

Same thing with free agency. Everyone else wants linemen and everyone else is offering these guys a lot of money. Just because we don't sign a name player doesn't mean we're ignoring the lines.

That said, his picks and his signings of OL has been as poor as his picks of CBs have been good. But he probably thought Mike Williams was a better prospect as a tackle than Nate Clements was as a CB but it didnt turn out that way. He probably thought Terrence McGee was a nice little prospect but he didn't know he was going to be a stud, and probably thought ben Sobieski had just as good a shot of being a star as McGee. A lot of it is luck and a lot of it is the eye and a lot of it is the talent of your scouts.

The best way, the only way, is to evaluate all players, rate them, attach a value to them as far as talent and money go, and when the time comes, choose the best guy. TD has had a lot of hits and misses. Lately, guys like bellicheck have had a lot more hits than misses, especially with OL (players taken in the late rounds). But you really can't go into next year saying i am going to draft a DT or I am going to draft a OL #1, or my top FA signing is going to be a certain position, you must take them as they come and evaluate all of them.

I think it's much more in-depth than what you've got up there.

Bolstering both lines is priority #1 (especially LT and NT/DT), and it's something that pays huge dividends when all of the other parts of the machine will be able to work better b/c of it.

Most other positions are relatively set with playmakers and I'm pretty confident in them, it's just that TD went for the sizzle before the steak.

482272[/snapback]

Not sure about your assessment of DT. I would give Anderson some time to gel. I'd say he's looked generally promising, if raw. I'm thinking of another Bill we ditched here in Parella who went on to be a solid run-stuffer elsewhere. Why not see what we've got with the guy before jumping ship on him in mid-season?

One thing to consider......

People dont like to talk about it much....but this is probably Eric Moulds last year in Buffalo given his cap number and decline in productivity.....

We are going to have to come up with another quality reciever from somewhere.......I dont think we want Evans and Parris as our only starting caliber recievers......

We need to bring in a vet in that area....and draft a ton of OL/DL

The problem with the thinking of you must fix the OL or the DL or one place or another in the draft or FA is that every other GM and Coach is thinking the exact same thing. Fans think teams should just draft a tackle if you need a tackle but don't always consider what the other 31 teams are doing. TD wanted a DL in the first round in 2003 because we needed a pass rush. But 7-9 of them or so were taken in the first rounda head of our pick. That is why he chose McGahee #1, not because he went into the draft wanting a RB or McGahee. You draft each spot based on the guy you think will help your team the most and be worth the money, but if you like two OTs and they get taken just before your pick it doesn't mean you're ignoring tackles, it just means the ones left arent that high on your list.

Same thing with free agency. Everyone else wants linemen and everyone else is offering these guys a lot of money. Just because we don't sign a name player doesn't mean we're ignoring the lines.

That said, his picks and his signings of OL has been as poor as his picks of CBs have been good. But he probably thought Mike Williams was a better prospect as a tackle than Nate Clements was as a CB but it didnt turn out that way. He probably thought Terrence McGee was a nice little prospect but he didn't know he was going to be a stud, and probably thought ben Sobieski had just as good a shot of being a star as McGee. A lot of it is luck and a lot of it is the eye and a lot of it is the talent of your scouts.

The best way, the only way, is to evaluate all players, rate them, attach a value to them as far as talent and money go, and when the time comes, choose the best guy. TD has had a lot of hits and misses. Lately, guys like bellicheck have had a lot more hits than misses, especially with OL (players taken in the late rounds). But you really can't go into next year saying i am going to draft a DT or I am going to draft a OL #1, or my top FA signing is going to be a certain position, you must take them as they come and evaluate all of them.

482305[/snapback]

I am a huge draftnik and I agree! Always draft for value!

Definatly the lines.

Our needs (in order)

1. LT /O-Line

2. DT

3. LB (need some youth)

4. TE (less important if euhus or Everett pans out)

5. S (also need youth)

And CB pending on clements.

Really...our offense is set. We need some O-Line help, and like it or not, we are stuck with losman for 2 more years at least (note: I think he will be very good, he just needs time in the game). Defense is getting older and we need to start thinking about the future there.

I am happy with our DEs this year. Of course, if we got a chance to draft a freeney or peppers, we cant pass that opportinity up, but its not worth taking a guy early if a good OL/DL is there