Gas Prices...

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of you will probably want to hear this, I paid 2.19 a gallon this morning, premium is 2.24.  This is on the island of St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands.  We are home to one of, if not the largest, refineries in the western hemisphere.  It is a joint operation between Hess and the Venezualan national petroleum company.  All the gas station operators here are independents, no Amoco, BP, Texaco, etc. They all get their gas stock directly from the refinery.  It is my understanding that is a pretty unusual arrangement.  There are only 55,000 people on the island, so I imagine it is doable because of how little gasoline the whole island uses.  Still, people here B word about the price of gas constantly.  I am not complaining about gas prices, I know how good I have it.

424623[/snapback]

Is this the same refinery that does not have to conform to all the emission controls as mainland US ? And pumps a lot of smoke in the Virgin air ?

Why do gas stations raise prices when the gas has been in their undergrounds tanks for weeks or months and their cost didnt just go up? They bought it at the cheaper price weeks ago !

424841[/snapback]

They raise it in anticipation of having to pay a higher price for their next delivery. So it's a way of making sure they get the money now that they'll have to shell out later.

Yep, I stopped by the dealership today and I'm eyeing up a used Pontiac Vibe. It's a six speed and was like driving a little MiniCooper but for a heck of a lot less. Gets 40 MPG. I think I'm gonna trade in the Dakota and get it....for 2.79 a gallon it's worth it, the car will be cheaper insurancewise and with heating costs going up and the long range folks predicting a cold winter I think it's the most practical decision. Sure, it's not as "manly" as an SUV but I've got my toy car when I need to have some fun.