Gas Prices...

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understnd the sudden price jump due to closing ports because of Katrina, but will we ever see gas prices under $2.00 a gallon ever again?

423782[/snapback]

No.

Time to organize a car pool, take the bus/train, trade in your car for a more fuel efficient one, etc..

www.gasbuddy.com

In NJ, state law says the NJ Parkway can only raise the gas prices once per week. The prices change tonight at midnight, so the pumps still reflect last weeks price.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

424005[/snapback]

It would help if the NJ legislature changes the 1949 law against self-service gas stations.

Hey, come on it’s not fair to compare what we pay for gas to what they pay in Europe. We have to drive a lot further to get anywhere in the states. Hell, you could sleep walk one night in a country in Europe wake up and find yourself in a different country in Europe. All I need is a bike over there.

It's purely psychological- like $9.99 sounds better that $10.00

423815[/snapback]

Notice how many people talk about their gas costing $2.59 when in reality $2.60 would be a much closer estimate, since it's $2.599. Unless of course you're VABills, in which case you'd say it's $3.00.

Expert: $4 a gallon gasoline coming soon

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/31/news/gas_prices/index.htm

424061[/snapback]

Based on what ? I read this article and there is no shred of evidence or analysis to support his statement. When an "expert" needs to use words like "it doesn't take a genius", you know that there is no analysis. Sad that CNN continues to pander to any guy of the street prepared to make a shock statement and call him/herself an expert. This is why I dislike CNN so much.

Not accounting for Katrina, there is definite proof that gas demand has gone down in July due to the prices. Which means that the market may have found its supply-demand balance. I think once demand drops post- Labor day, prices will ease to the $2.25 range and stay there till the next high-travel period.

...there is definite proof that gas demand has gone down in July due to the prices. Which means that the market may have found its supply-demand balance. I think once demand drops post- Labor day, prices will ease to the $2.25 range and stay there till the next high-travel period.

424135[/snapback]

Don't count on it. There are reports that 8 refineries are off line. That will certainly impact gas supply.

The BIG issue and greater impact on people will be the increase in the cost of natural gas.

Don't count on it. There are reports that 8 refineries are off line. That will certainly impact gas supply.

The BIG issue and greater impact on people will be the increase in the cost of natural gas.

424190[/snapback]

Agreed with the temporary price increase, I was referring to the stabilized prices once the effects of Katrina have worn off (and I mean strictly from the gasoline supply point of view)

Natural gas prices also will affect electricity prices so there is an all-encompassing effect with all our utility bills going up.

424190[/snapback]

Yep.

"September rates to be 30% above year-ago

By Mike Boyer

Cincinnati Enquirer staff writer 08/31/05

Cinergy Corp. Tuesday presented its natural gas customers another harbinger of what to expect this winter - rates in September will be up more than 30 percent from a year ago."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...310309/1002/BIZ

can anyone here give a "real" answer to the question of why do oil prices and futures affect natural gas prices?

We always see them increase at the same time, but my understanding was that natural gas has nothing to do with oil.

Anyone?

Guest BackInDaDay
can anyone here give a "real" answer to the question of why do oil prices and futures affect natural gas prices?

We always see them increase at the same time, but my understanding was that natural gas has nothing to do with oil.

Anyone?

424432[/snapback]

Oil companies purchase varying qualities of crude oil. The best crude lends itself nicely to the refinement process necessary to produce mid to high-end products such as gasoline and natural gas. Lesser quality crude may be limited, due to processing expenses, to creating lubricting oils, kerosene or diesal fuel. The refinement process is complex, but the owners of the refineries can choose how to tool up their process to reap the best profit from their purchase.

Anyone?

424432[/snapback]

Plants + overlying strata + millions of years = petroleum plus degredation = some methane/ethane/propane/butane content.

Most all oil deposits have gas content. A goodly number of wells have the gas dispersed through the rock, and while they may no longer have much in the way of liquid, one can desorb the gas if economocal to do so.

The political push by the previous administration to diminish coal usage...several reasons there - assuage the enviromental supporters, and pay off James Ryadi's Lippo Group for campaign contributions by declaring off-limits Utah's low-suffur coal reserves - Indonesian coal is also low-sulfur, low-polluting. - resulted in numerous power facilities switching to gas turbines for power production.

A gas turbine power production unit is essentially a jet engine that drives a shaft like a turboprop aircraft engine, the shaft output spinning the powerplant generator as opposed to a coal-fired plant that uses the coal cumbustion to produce steam in boilers that makes the generator spin.

The major producers of gas turbine units are General Electric, Rolls-Royce, and Asa-Brown-Bovari of Sweden. GE is headquartered in Lynn, Massachesetts, and their Sen. Kennedy was a big mover along with his President to get this done. GE is very big here in Cincinnati (aircraft, i.e turbine motors), so the subject was well-discussed here. GE made a bundle.

Aside, if you live in NYS, you might recall that Sen. Kennedy was by far the strongest fighter in support of GE not having to dredge the Hudson River to remove decades of PCB pollution.

To natural gas usage, though, the upshot is that a lot of natural gas is diverted to electricity production.